NCAA Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Hockey 2023-24

College Hockey starts tomorrow with a number of non-conference games...some good matchups but mostly bad ones like Boston vs Bentley

some random thoughts on the season:

Hockey East and NCHC are very similar with just 1 horrible team, 2-3 really good teams, and several others on the decline. NCHC you have North Dakota and Denver as a clear 1-2 but Minn-Duluth should be pretty good and St Cloud hanging around. Western Mich and Omaha are on the way down, Colorado College on the way up, and Miami are terrible. Hockey East you have BU as perhaps the best team in the nation, BC with a sick recruiting class to add to a decent team, Providence and Merrimack both looking very strong, and then a big group of mediocre teams (Umass, Lowell, Uconn, Maine). Maine could be a surprise team, UVM are 2nd worst, and New Hampshire have separated themselves as the worst team in the Hockey East

CCHA is bizarre as Minnesota State's domination is over after the coach bolted to Wisconsin leaving only a couple defenseman and some goalies. Then you have Bowling Green in chaos with 3 players booted, the coach fired, and best player leaving the school. That should leave Michigan Tech as the clear #1 and worth a bet to win the title at 50/1. Northern Michigan and Bemidji likely fighting for 2nd, Ferris and Lake State at the bottom, and St Thomas the clear up and comer. Michigan Tech will get BGSU's Swankler (preseason POY in CCHA) for the 2nd semester and with the best goalie in the league (Pietila) I think they run away with the conference and are well worth a few dollars to win the NCAA Championship. I threw a quid or two on St Thomas at 500/1 as I think they could move up as high as 2nd in the CCHA

Robert Morris returns to Atlantic Hockey and I have really no idea who will win this conference with RIT, Canisius, AIC, and Sacred Heart the likely best and Bentley the absolute worst, even below Robert Morris. RIT won 25 games last year so should be the team to beat with the conference POY returning. For betting purposes they should be one of the best OVER teams in ncaa hockey.

Big 10 is wild as Wisconsin and Michigan State are 100% back while Michigan and Minnesota remain the most talented. Penn State put together the worst schedule in the country so will get plenty of non-conf wins while Ohio State and Notre Dame can be top 10. Basically every team is good making this the #1 conference in hockey

ECAC seems straight forward with Quinnipiac and Cornell leading the way followed by Harvard then a drop off to maybe St Lawrence or Clarkson. Union were forced to rename their team so are no longer the Dutchmen as somehow that was offensive? Brown and Yale, though improved, will still be poor along with Princeton.

Alaska and Arizona State will remain the best of the Independents while Lindenwood, LIU, Stonehill, and Anchorage will take plenty of beatings. Lindenwood decided to start their October off with 2 away games each at Ohio State and Michigan and then the following month two more away games at Penn State and Western Mich followed by a trip for a pair of games at revived Wisconsin. Good luck with that

While the title will likely be one by a blue blood (ND, DEN, MICH, BU, DEN, MIN) there are several badly mispriced teams to consider for a bet. Of the blue bloods I would rate Boston U the best team in the country with the best player, Mack Celibrini, but can't bet that 8/1. Best value would be Denver's 12/1 as they are neck and neck with BU but without the Celibrini star power. BU and DEN both have gaping holes in their nets so whichever gets the better goaltending wins the title.

1) Michigan Tech 50/1 = most of reasoning is above and for them to have worse odds than Minnesota State is a joke. Best player in CCHA and best goalie in nation now that Levi is in Buffalo. They start year with nasty non-conf 5 games but if they can come out of that 3-2 or 4-1 they'll be on their way. Took them 40/2000

2) Merrimack 50/1 = Brought nearly entire roster back from a team that lost in OT for the Hockey East title and was top 15 Pairwise all season. Negative is their non-conf schedule is so bad they will have to beat many Hockey East teams to get the Pairwise points. Go them 20/1000

3) Michigan State 50/1 = didn't bet it because the Big10 is so brutal they could play well and still miss the tourney plus, like BC, are likely one year away from contending

4) Boston College 25/1 = some go as low as 8/1 which is laughable but I do think BC will be a 24/25 NCAA title favorite one James Hagens and his brother join. In fact BU and BC might be preseason #1-#2 next year. Can't overlook adding three 1st round NHL picks plus a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and a couple talented experienced transfers. This is NOT the BC team of the past few years. I got them 20/500 just in case they don't all play like Freshman.

5) St Thomas 500/1 = they won't win the title but they shouldn't be 500/1 in fact they will be better than Minnesota State who are 30/1. They are the up and coming power in CCHA and likely a year from contending for the conference. 1.50/750

6) Robert Morris 1000/1 = my local team. I'll be watching a lot of games in their barn so need something to root for. They will be pretty bad and just hope they finish ahead of Bentley. 1.50/1500

Preseason Rankings at USCHO:
    1) Boston U - no brainer
    2) Quinnipiac - rec'd most 1st place votes but Perets was a superstar in net
    3) Minnesota - yeah, of course
    4) Denver - ZERO first place votes is nuts
    5) Michigan - still have a Fantilli and a Hughes, but the wrong ones. Not a top team for me
    6) Boston College - major talent but very young
    7) North Dakota - stacked, should be #5
    8) St Cloud - I don't get them in the top 10 at all
    9) Michigan State - like BC i think next year is their year
    10) Michigan Tech - love 'em

11-15 = Cornell (yes), Western Mich (no way), Ohio State (ok), Merrimack (agree), and Harvard (meh)
    16-20 = Penn State (f them), Duluth (should be 8th), Providence (i like em), Northeastern (nope), and Notre Dame (yes)

Minnesota State got enough votes for 22nd which is crazy. I don't think they finish top 4 in their conference or top 40 in Pairwise

Comment

Good stuff Tide. I'm thinking despite what happened in the coaching circles this offseason and a major transfer, I think UVM can inch up. Their interim coach Wiedler,who was very good helping at AIC, will turn that program around to respectability in a few years if he has the support.

Comment

The biggest story of first 2 weekends is Boston University, the preseason #1 team in the country. After needing OT to beat Bentley, one of the worst teams in college hockey, they lost to the clear worst team of Hockey East and then pummeled by the US u18 development squad. St Cloud, another preseason top 10 team, have lost 3 of 4 to start the season but not a surprise to me as they were overrated.

the other noticeable difference between this season and previous ones are the ridiculous amount of empty netters with teams pulling their goalies with 5-6-7 minutes left instead of 1 or 2 minutes. Keeping that in mind for some of these totals

Comment

Conference play gets really rolling this week and very surprised at some of these dog prices like lowell 140, Spartans 140, Maine 168, Wisconsin 120, Omaha 100....

Comment

Originally posted by rolltide View Post
            Conference play gets really rolling this week and very surprised at some of these dog prices like lowell 140, Spartans 140, Maine 168, Wisconsin 120, Omaha 100....
            not a bad night for the dogs with MichSt, Maine, and Wisconsin winning ... Dartmouth beating Quinnipiac in shootout at home was the big surprise of the night

time to start taking Wisc and Maine seriously both top 5 in Pairwise
            Last edited by rolltide; 11-04-2023, 08:44 AM.

Comment

liking goals tonight with over 6.5 in Michigan, over 5.5 in BC, over 6 in BU, and goals in Denver but took the -1.5 instead as Omaha are worse than i expected

one under is 5.5 in Quinnipiac. These h2h never have goals... 4-0 2-0 1-0 2-1 5-0 2-1 2-2 going back to 2018. Both starting keepers with GAA sub 1.60

Comment

Puckluck saw the chiclets feature on umass hockey facilities. Crazy place

Comment

current bracket projection

PROVIDENCE

(1) Maine vs. (16) Minnesota State

(8) Denver vs. (9) Providence

SPRINGFIELD

(2) Boston University vs. (15) RIT

(7) Michigan State vs. (10) Western Michigan

MARYLAND HEIGHTS

(3) Quinnipiac vs. (14) St. Cloud State

(6) North Dakota vs. (11) Massachusetts

SIOUX FALLS

(4) Boston College vs. (13) New Hampshire

(5) Wisconsin vs. (12) Minnesota

Comment

real glad SCSU won the shootout for the big stake win but the game today is either GOY material or a massive trap

BC/Merrimack played 2 nights ago finished 6-4 with shots 41-35 with at least 2 goals in every period and that o/u was set at 6. today they dropped the total to 5.5?

Merrimack have scored 2 or more in 8 straight while BC haven't scored less than 3 at home all season and only 1 shutout in their 20 games. there must be goals...BC games avg 6.5/game with 60 shots, Merrimack 6.1 with 60 shots.

BC have scored 58 goals in 11 home games....Merrimack on road in reverse order since November = 3-4 4-3 5-1 2-5 2-5

and we have a 5.5 total?
                    Last edited by rolltide; 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

current bracket projection

PROVIDENCE

(1) Maine vs. (16) Minnesota State

(8) Denver vs. (9) Providence

SPRINGFIELD

(2) Boston University vs. (15) RIT

(7) Michigan State vs. (10) Western Michigan

MARYLAND HEIGHTS

(3) Quinnipiac vs. (14) St. Cloud State

(6) North Dakota vs. (11) Massachusetts

SIOUX FALLS

(4) Boston College vs. (13) New Hampshire

(5) Wisconsin vs. (12) Minnesota

UMass is co-hosting with AIC, they won't bounce them out of Springfield.

Comment

Puckluck saw the chiclets feature on umass hockey facilities. Crazy place
                        Tremendous facility Tide

Comment

BU vs BC #1/#2 and BU's first EVER 1v2 game

MINN seriously under the radar with 5 straight wins and only 2 regulation losses since OCT. huge b2b series' coming against MSU and WIS who are 1&2 in the Big 10

love Cornell under tonight. they've only allowed >2 goals once in last 10 games and Harvard have no balance with 40% of their goals from 2 players. 15 of last 16 meetings finished with 5 or fewer goals

Comment

Originally posted by Puckluck View Post

UMass is co-hosting with AIC, they won't bounce them out of Springfield.
                            they need to get rid of the regionals ASAP. these buildings are half full and almost totally empty if the host, who paid for the games, don't make the tourney or aren't set in that region. 1-8 should host 9-16 and then reseed so 1-4 host 5-8.

When St Louis hosted years ago there weren't 1000 people there and now they head back to Missouri because Lindenwood paid for the games? this year's hosts are Brown, Lindenwood, Umass/AIC, and Omaha and quite possibly none of the hosts make the tourney. gotta drop this regional stuff

and they'll be going back to Allentown and Albany soon and those barns were empty in their last visit. all about the benjamins

Comment

Right now Umass and Cornell would be the last two at-large bids and the first 5 out would be SCSU, UNH, Col College, Omaha, and Northeastern assuming no conference tourney upsets

Hockey East would have 3 #1 seeds so one of them would be heading to Missouri and since Umass must go to Springfield that would likely mean they would send North Dakota to Springfield and then BU would head to SoDak? Obviously much will change but right now BC would be in Providence as overall #1 against the 16 seed which will be an AQ from Atlantic or CCHA

Beanpot Monday and Northeastern has it all set up for them to blitz a terrible Harvard team and then beat a top 3 team to boost their Pairwise

Comment

Working...
                              X