Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Dan Campbell

Had a 20 and the dealer was showing a 6

Who other than me thinks he would hit it?

Money won is twice as nice as money earned
    Fast Eddie Felson

Comment

I hit 20 once when I was half drunk falling asleep...

I had 2 or 3 aces and couldn't count. I got another ace...

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtiger View Post
        Had a 20 and the dealer was showing a 6

Who other than me thinks he would hit it?
        Honest to god Darryl !

Comment

Seriously he might hit a 12 or 13 there

Fkin idiot

Comment

Originally posted by vern View Post
            Seriously he might hit a 12 or 13 there

Fkin idiot
            Three times he passed on the FGs for 4th down plays. All three turned the ball back to San Fran in excellent field position.

The first was in the first half as the quarter ran down. Could have gone up 17 at the half. Three scores. Nope, Not good enough.

The second was in the third quarter.

The third opportunity gave Detroit a chance to retie the game with 12 minutes left after having blown a 14 pt lead to go down by 3. That might have steadied his Defense and reinvigorated his Ofense. Nope.

I know he got to this game by going for a zillion fourth downs in the regular season. But a coach always has to consider game psychology in a win or go home situation. Campbell had to adjust to the situation. He had two crucial tests and failed them both.

I still like the guy as a coach but sure hope he learned from his stupidity in a Championship game that his team had full control of in the final minutes of the first half. Musta really,really sucked for Detroit's fan base especially the overflow crowd going crazy in Ford Field.

Comment

You nailed it Jim. Most people think most things are only black or white. Campbell is one of these people. The damn world is shades of grey. What you do in one situation has to be reevaluated in the next. Sure, you may find that you gravitate one way or another, like Campbell gravitates towards going for it in 4th. And that’s fine. But every situation has to be evaluated and each comes with unique circumstances that can change your decision. I’ve argued this for decades in all facets of life. Most people don’t get it, they are who they are. Hopefully he’s someone who can learn.

Comment

The only constant is change

Look at rory now

Smart people adapt and make decisions in real time with situational awareness

Comment

Let it go, guys...let it go...breathe...breathe...he will learn from the school of hard knocks

btw...why didn't somebody...anybody...on the Lions...players or coaches...(see Goff)...bend his ear & say "Hey coach, let's kick a FG"?

The coach that really needs dogging is Harbaugh! They were at home!

Comment

He will never get back there again

Football gods won't stand for it

Comment

Originally posted by BT View Post
                      You nailed it Jim. Most people think most things are only black or white. Campbell is one of these people. The damn world is shades of grey. What you do in one situation has to be reevaluated in the next. Sure, you may find that you gravitate one way or another, like Campbell gravitates towards going for it in 4th. And that’s fine. But every situation has to be evaluated and each comes with unique circumstances that can change your decision. I’ve argued this for decades in all facets of life. Most people don’t get it, they are who they are. Hopefully he’s someone who can learn.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by vern View Post
                        The only constant is change

Look at rory now

Smart people adapt and make decisions in real time with situational awareness
                        -

Comment

We've got a lot of wisdom on this board.

Billy B, you know the guy who they say nobody wants. taught me. A Billy B coached team would have never lost that game. In fact a Billy B coached team would have never lost the Baltimore game. The Ravens had at least three personal fouls that I can remember. All completely unnecessary. And a Billy B coached Trey Flowers would have never reached for that TD where he fumbled into the end zone unnecessarily putting the ball at risk when he could have had a first and goal from the one yd line.

Bad coaching loses games. Good coaching wins games. Those two games were perfect examples.
                          Last edited by Michelangelo; 02-01-2024, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Worst coaching I can remember b2b.

Over 45 years watching or playing.

Embarrassing for the shield

Comment

The other thing i'll add is that Football is a very emotional game, and that emotion matters

Every time he went for it and didn't make it, his players jogged off with their head down and SF players came off fired up, and the place got extremely loud

That's a huge thing

I understand the value of analytics in sports, especially in baseball. Football is different though. All 4th and 3's at the 20 yard line aren't the same. There are a huge number of factors, yet guys like Campbell treat them all the same. The analytics says you go for it so we are going for it. It's ignorant. In a fast paced high scoring game i'd be more likely to go for it in those situations. In a slower defensive game, hell no gimme the 3 points.

But when I can go up 3 posessions by kicking the FG I don't even give a shit about game pace, you take the points every time there. When it's 2nd half and I can tie the game, it's not even a consideration to go for it, you take the points.

I like him as a person and think he is a fantastic coach when it comes to teaching his position and so forth. Game day decisions though, dude is awful

Comment

Working...
                              X