Found this kinda' interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this kinda' interesting

What I was looking at is extremes. 1) Teams that were big favs of at least -14 or more last game, 2) they won that game by at least 14pts or more, 3) their opponent had 0pts at half-time, 4) team scored more than 35pts & 5) are now road favs:

p:line<=-14
    p:margin>=14
    po:P1+po:P2=0
    p:points>35
    AF

KillerSports.com

What really caught my eye is the teams:

'94...49'ers...won SB
    '98...Vikings...lost CC at home by a FG in OT to Atl...after the Falcons Chuck Smith "butt-blocked" a Gary Anderson FG attempt late in the 4th-qtr & Atl drove for the game-tying TD
    '07...Patriots...lost SB
    '13...Seahawks...won SB
    '16...Patriots...won SB

My point being is that all 5 of the previous teams made it to the CC game, 4 out of 5 went to the SB & 3 out of 5 won the SB

And the teams that had at least 2 losses s/u all won the SB

So my question is: Was that an indicator that the Cowboys will not only make it to the SB, but win it s/u?

I know we can argue semantics, such as the Giants are flat-out terrible, but so were the other 5 opponents in those big-dog games as indicated by the results of those games.

And that the Cowboys just can't win the big games.

But it will be interesting to see if that game was the beginning of a SB run for Dallas here in the 2nd-Half of the season.

Add this to it: if the teams were just favs instead of road favs after that game & this game is before week 15:

KillerSports.com

'94 49'ers, '07 Patriots & '13 Seahawks are still there but added: '06 Bears & '21 Rams

'06 Bears...lost SB
    '21 Rams...won SB

2 more teams that made it all the way to the SB

(funny thing is both those teams lost s/u at home the next week)

but that makes 6 of the 7 made it to the SB & 4 of the 6 won the SB & the Rams had 5 losses
    Last edited by Riderx; 11-14-2023, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing

Comment

Compelling info, x, and great find. I'm not buying the Boys though. As you mentioned, they crack in the big games recently. I also don't think McCarthy is a great coach and I have Dak ranked lower as a QB than a lot of folks. Look at last year when Rush was QB. They went 4-0. Of course, that can mean the offense won't lose any steam if Dak were to miss time again. Anyway, great stuff as always and something to consider. I won't close the door on this, but I'm not expecting a SB run from Dallas either.

Comment

That's a thing of beauty, x. Love that kind of digging.

Comment

Chazbo, BT & Mich, I realize it probably doesn't mean anything at all & I'm not sold on them either for many reasons. They will have to prove it. As history has shown for many decades, now is the time for SB teams to make a run.

Comment

Add 3 more teams to make it to the SB: Any road fav of more than -7 vs a non-div opp after week 7, off an ats win as a fav of more than -14:

p:line<-14 = prev fav of more than -14
              p:ats margin>0 = prev ats win
              A = Away
              line<-7 = now fav of more than -7
              week>7 = after week 7
              NDIV = vs a non-div opp

KillerSports.com

5-0 s/u
              &
              1-3-1 ats

'92 Cowboys...won SB
              '94 49'ers...won SB, already listed above
              '98 Vikings...lost CC in OT, already listed above
              '00 Ravens...won SB
              '01 Rams...lost SB

bringing the total to 9 out of 10 teams making it to the SB, with 6 out of 9 winning it all.

Comment

My book has Dallas +850 and +450 to win the SB and CC respectively.

Comment

Perry, I just thought it was a weird coincidence that all those teams made it to the SB. The 17-game season, new playoff format has only been in place since 2021 when 2 wildcard teams went to the SB, so there's no telling which teams go right now. I have no idea which 2 teams are going to the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderx View Post
                    I have no idea which 2 teams are going to the SB.
                    If you did, you'd be a daisy...

Comment

"You're a daisy if you do!"...

Comment

Perry, just my 2 cents but if you have an extra 2 cents layin' around maybe put a penny on both +850 & +450

November home teams on short rest that were back-to-back favs of more than -7 in each game:

KillerSports.com

'92 Cowboys...won SB
                        '93 Cowboys...won SB
                        &
                        now '23 Cowboys
                        Last edited by Riderx; 11-20-2023, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hmmm....

Comment

Working...
                          X