Stafford traded to the Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stafford traded to the Rams

Lions traded Matt Stafford to the Rams. Lions receive Jared Goff, a third round pick this year, the 2022 and 2023 first round picks from the Rams.

Re: Stafford traded to the Rams

NFL Trade Grades

I've listed all of the NFL Free Agent Signing Grades here, which included the trades. Because I've begun posting polls for the trades, I thought it would make sense to list just the NFL trades here, so archiving the voting would be easier.

Follow me @walterfootball for updates.

Rams acquire QB Matthew Stafford from Rams for two first-round picks, third-round pick, Jared Goff
    The Rams finally have a quality starting quarterback. They've been one of the better teams in the NFL since 2017 - three playoff trips, one appearance in the Super Bowl - but they've been weighed down by poor quarterback play. Jared Goff has been horrible unless he's been put into ideal situations by his excellent coaching staff. When this hasn't been the case, he has imploded. He even forgot his own snap count in the Super Bowl.

Matthew Stafford is a huge upgrade over Goff. The stats may not show it, but Stafford had to endure horrible management and coaching in Detroit. Everything will be better around him with the Rams. Sean McVay will enhance Stafford's performance, while the offensive line and weaponry will allow Stafford to produce better numbers.

The question is, did the Rams have to surrender two first-round selections and a third-round pick to upgrade from Goff to Stafford? The answer is probably yes, and it's because of Goff's contract. The numbers on Goff's deal are ridiculous, so the Lions are eating a terrible contract in exchange for draft capital. Plus, the Rams don't have a first-round choice this year, so they'll be giving up picks in 2022 and beyond. Giving up two first-round selections will hurt in the long term, but the Rams are putting themselves in position to win now.

I like this trade for both teams. The Rams are suddenly one of the Super Bowl LVI favorites, while the Lions will be able to rebuild with tons of early-round picks. Goff's contract will hurt their cap situation, but it's not like they're ready to win now.

Grade for Rams - A-
    Grade for Lions - A

Comment

Agree with the thought that this is good for both teams, LA gets rid of that big cap hit and gets rid of Goff an iffy kind of commodity. The Rams get a quality QB that gives them a shot at a SB berth in the next few years and Detroit can build something better with all their draft choices not that their management has shown anything in the way of brains the last 20 years, what a pitiful organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a kicker from Brazil, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
        Agree with the thought that this is good for both teams, LA gets rid of that big cap hit and gets rid of Goff an iffy kind of commodity. The Rams get a quality QB that gives them a shot at a SB berth in the next few years and Detroit can build something better with all their draft choices not that their management has shown anything in the way of brains the last 20 years, what a pitiful organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a kicker from Brazil, lol
        The Lions new GM was the scouting director for the Rams. So I have some faith he got this right. If Goff sucks they can cut him next year with no cap hit. Being from Michigan I never drank the Lions Kool Aid. Except now. This trade is very unlike the Lions management of the past.

Comment

When this first broke last night I thought well the price for Watson just went up. But did it ?
          I think the extra first round pick the Lions got was for taking on Goff. The Rams didn't have a first rounder this year and had all but said they were moving on from Goff.

This also leaves teams that were rumored to be in play for Stafford still shopping for a QB.
          Teams that were mentioned the 49ers, Bears, Redskins and Colts.
          If the Jets trade for Watson and give up the 2nd overall pick. One has to think Houston goes QB here.
          This should be an interesting draft with a few first round trades.

Comment

You know JD my problem with the lions goes back to Millen and Schwartz, Millen was bar none the worst GM to ever be a GM and Shwartz I just couldn't get to like for some reason, he did inherit a win less team I believe but something about him rubbed me the wrong way. Millen on the other hand, although he had a gifted career, had no business or experience to be in that position but that was Fords fault who stuck with him for 7 painful years, record 31-81.

From wikipedia:
            Detroit's .277 winning percentage was among the worst ever compiled by an NFL team over a seven-year period; only the Chicago Cardinals of 1939-45 (10-61-3, .141) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1983–1989 (26–86, .234) were less successful.

Comment

Working...
            X