St Louis Rams Moving To California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Louis Rams Moving To California

NFL owners have officially approved the Rams' relocation to Inglewood, Cal.
    The Rams' relocation bid won by a 30-2 vote. The Chargers have the option to join the Rams in Inglewood but have not made a decision yet. The Raiders have pulled their relocation request and should be compensated handsomely with money to build a new stadium and "favorable consideration" the next time they submit a relocation bid. Money was obviously a huge factor in the owners choosing Inglewood over Carson, but it wasn't the only one. Having the Chargers and Raiders share a stadium in Carson likely would have prompted division and possibly conference realignment, which the owners were not in favor of. The new stadium in Inglewood is expected to open in 2019.

Re: St Louis Rams Moving To California

Owner Mark Davis said he doesn't know where the Raiders will play next season.
    "We came in third," said Davis. The league is planning to give the Raiders $100 million toward building a new stadium but Davis said that won't "fill the gap." As if things weren't complicated enough, the Raiders don't have a stadium lease for next season. The Oakland Athletics, who have shared the O.co Coliseum with the Raiders for the last 20 years, said Tuesday's announcement will not change the team's "goal of securing a new baseball-only facility." If the Chargers decide to stay in San Diego, which is certainly a possibility, the Raiders could end up sharing a stadium with the Rams in Inglewood. The Raiders showed preliminary interest in relocating to San Antonio last year and could pursue that option if the team can't find a way to make it work in Oakland or Los Angeles.

Comment

Chargers owner Dean Spanos said he will take the next several weeks to "explore the options that we have now created for ourselves to determine the best path forward for the Chargers."
      The Chargers won't be moving to Carson with the Raiders as they had hoped but they now have the option to either share a stadium with the Rams in Inglewood or accept $100 million from the league and put it towards stadium renovations. Of course, if the Chargers decide to stay in San Diego, the Raiders would likely join the Rams in Inglewood. The Chargers have until January 15, 2017 to exercise their option to play in Inglewood so don't expect a decision from Spanos anytime soon.

Comment

So will the Rams continue to play in St Louis until 2019 ?

Honestly that would be like them playing 16 road games. There is no way in hell they will have any fan support.
        I think they would have to share a college stadium out there at least close to where there new home would be.

The Raiders situation is probably even worse. From a business standpoint if you can only make one team happy.
        My guess is Oakland sides with the team that would have 81 home games instead of 8.
        I would imagine MLB would offer some kind of financial support to keep the A's in Oakland.

Comment

Money greases the skids !!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGame View Post
            So will the Rams continue to play in St Louis until 2019 ?

Honestly that would be like them playing 16 road games. There is no way in hell they will have any fan support.
            I think they would have to share a college stadium out there at least close to where there new home would be.

The Raiders situation is probably even worse. From a business standpoint if you can only make one team happy.
            My guess is Oakland sides with the team that would have 81 home games instead of 8.
            I would imagine MLB would offer some kind of financial support to keep the A's in Oakland.
            I am pretty sure they are stuck in the Colliseum until the new venue is ready. Truthfully, I think Los Angeles fans are pretty apathetic as far as the NFL goes. There is plenty of support to get a team there sure, but when it comes down to plopping down $150 a ticket + whatever other game day costs, they just don't care enough to go to games. Some fan bases are more "fanatical". The Brewers are in a small market with basically 1 million people to draw from and yearly outdraw the White Sox by almost double. Even though Chicago is 8 times as large.I remember one year recently in August when the Brewers were out of the race and the White Sox were like 2 games out of first. I went to a Tuesday night game with my niece and there were 28,000+ at Miller Park and I looked at the attendance at the White Sox game that night when I got home and they had something like only 15,000 people on the same night! They are in contention, we aren't and we still got 2 times better attendance and they got a much bigger city.
            "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

Just thought of this. The vote was 30-2 in favor of St Louis moving. Probably no secret who the 2 no votes were.

I don't understand this part of why the owners opposed the Chargers and Raiders in the same stadium...
              Having the Chargers and Raiders share a stadium in Carson likely would have prompted division and possibly conference realignment.

They could have stayed in the same division and worked out a schedule.

I know Jacksonville has been a tough draw for getting fans to fill up that stadium.
              Makes me wonder if St Louis doesn't end up with the Jaguars at some point.
              Seems like a month ago there was talk of St Louis willing to assist with some financial help on a new stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by jumperjack View Post
                I am pretty sure they are stuck in the Colliseum until the new venue is ready. Truthfully, I think Los Angeles fans are pretty apathetic as far as the NFL goes. There is plenty of support to get a team there sure, but when it comes down to plopping down $150 a ticket + whatever other game day costs, they just don't care enough to go to games. Some fan bases are more "fanatical". The Brewers are in a small market with basically 1 million people to draw from and yearly outdraw the White Sox by almost double. Even though Chicago is 8 times as large.I remember one year recently in August when the Brewers were out of the race and the White Sox were like 2 games out of first. I went to a Tuesday night game with my niece and there were 28,000+ at Miller Park and I looked at the attendance at the White Sox game that night when I got home and they had something like only 15,000 people on the same night! They are in contention, we aren't and we still got 2 times better attendance and they got a much bigger city.
                I agree with what your saying. I get a kick out of watching Dodgers game and the place is empty until the second inning. Then again empty around the 7th inning.

Comment

Originally posted by jumperjack View Post
                  I've often wondered if a second NFL team in Wisconsin could work, for this very reason. Anyone try to buy Packer season tickets?

Comment

Working...
                  X