Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFB - Week 1:

This is always a fun time of the year.

Gamblers are pumped, bookies are pumped, and all touts are pumped.

They (Touts) get to spin a new web as newcomers, and chalk players come in with wallets wide open. I think a lot of the touts that play heavy favorites do so for two reasons. They hope the other person on the end of the line (or screen) loves favorites as well. So when they lose by a kneel down at the 2 or that late garbage TD you both can say man we should have had that one. "It was the right side". The other reason is it's a mental thing, because you feel much better when he is giving you something they you can relate to rather than a bunch of dogs that have to fight to hang on.

Hey we all love when our team BOATS the other team. As bettor's "easy wins" are what we crave. Unfortunately a good majority of games come down to one possession. Other sayings you hear or say will be; "You'll get them next week", or how about "It's a grind not a sprint"? Then when they happen to go 5-1 they'll climb the highest ladder and yell for attention. I'm not immune to those services. In fact they feed off me from when I first started betting in 1988 till 1990, and I'd guess many of others on sports forums around the net have had the same experiences. I really thought there were such things as inside info, and the books "know" something. You'll waste too much energy thinking about things like that, and that's not worth your time.

In 1991 I told myself that if I'm going to lose doing this it will be because of my picks not from someone else. Hey there are a tiny handful of services out there that can win and may even actually bet their own games, but they're few and far between. One thing I've seen before is that if you can always beat the closer and win; the books will either lower your bet size to little or nothing, or cut you off completely.

A Book I recommend reading that was based off a true story is called "The Smart Money". It's a great read, and deals in truths not lies and myths. As a sports gambler you'll enjoy it.

Folks it's tough as shit to beat 11/10 odds, and if anyone tells you they can hit better than 55% to buy their picks I'd just about guarantee they're telling you a lie. If you can afford or want to buy picks than I guess that's up to you, but at least be sure to bet enough to cover the cost of the picks. Your guy may win, and I hope he does for your sake so make sure you cover their cost.

That said I win some I lose some, but one thing I can guarantee the wagers that I win or lose are from my own handicapping. It's just so much more fun for me that way.

Best of fortune to you all, and are here is what I've wagered on so far.

North Carolina +2 (Thursday)
    Michigan +5.5 (Thursday)
    Hawaii +8 (Thursday)
    Arizona State +3
    BYU +6.5
    Texas +9.5

Added
    Boise State -12 (Friday)
    UCLA -19.5
    Oklahoma -31
    USC -27

Added
    West Virginia -19.5

Adding...
    Penn State -6.5
    Kentucky -17

I don't enjoy doing many write ups anymore, but every now and then I spit out some stuff for the heck of it.

UNC brings back a lot on offense, and while they've had bad press in the athletic department I think they have a solid coaching staff. For the second year in a row Spurrier has to find a new QB. Their defense was atrocious last year, and so I'm not a fan of them laying points just yet.

Last year with a coach who had lost his way the Maze and Blue still out gained, and out first downed the Utes. Michigan had 4 turnovers in that game, and now with new blood who coaches to keep the turnovers to minimum has me buying in that they can make a game of this. Plus Utah HC Whittingham is a poor favorite with Utah going 6-23 ATS as a favorite of 3.5 to 10 points (3-7 ATS as HM fav of 3.5 to 7 points).

Not sure Colorado is ready to be over a TD favorite just yet, and Hawaii HC Chow has experience vs The PAC 12 especially on his turf. He has a good group coming back on offense, and so The Buffaloes had better made some big gains from that woeful defense last year.

Fading Kevin Sumlin's defense at Texas A&M just about every time he is a favorite until I see some improvement in that department.

I love the hard-nose play anybody approach BYU has gone to under this coaching staff. Nebraska usually walks the dog against non conference in September, but this isn't Southern Miss or Arkansas State here.

I had to take Texas and their defense first approach along with a returning QB. Brian Kelly has good things going on in South Bend, but I don't think the Longhorns will be pushovers.

Doc
    Last edited by Docwatson; 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM. Reason: proof reading the proof read

Re: CFB - Week 1:

, great read. Spot on about the touts. 99% are losers.
    Money won is twice as nice as money earned
    Fast Eddie Felson

Comment

Doc, looks like me and you will be rooting for a few of the same sides. Don't get a big head, but you're one of the better additions to this site in awhile. I'm a pretty good gauge of people that know what they're doing. You obviously do. all season
      "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

Great read Doc. I would agree with pretty much everything you said. A majority of the people that view these forums now are all about service plays.
        I guess they think that somehow one of them will be a key to Fort Knox for them. This crowd for the most part couldn't tell you how much they're up or down with the guys they follow.
        A lot of them jump from service to service or float over to the big titled plays. I have never seen anything like it.
        Where you don't put any effort or research into something you throw money at.
        Even if you don't want to handicap I think you should at least educate yourself on who you're following.
        The majority of records quoted in service threads about services end up being incorrect.
        Or it's just somebody copying and pasting the cherry picked record the service showed.

I left Pregame in 2007 to open this site. The main reason I just wasn't a fan of how business there was being done.
        Even worse was when I heard from a couple of handicappers they didn't even bet on what they were putting out.
        Those guys are no longer with the site. But there are plenty of services that do the exact same thing today.

I use to bang my head against the wall putting out the same message you did. Also telling people if your going to follow service plays for free...
        At least take the time to track them and know the results of who you are following. But like anything other than a play in that thread it was ignored.

I would rather have 20 members who post thoughtful threads that inspire conversation then 2000 that just sit and stare.
        Best of luck this season on all your plays

Comment

Comment

good luck on the plays!
            2013 NCAAF 4-5 -1.5

Comment

Originally posted by Docwatson View Post

Michigan +5.5 (Thursday)
              Hawaii +8 (Thursday)
              Arizona State +3
              BYU +6.5
              Texas +9.5
              Boise State -12 (Friday)
              UCLA -19.5
              Oklahoma -31
              USC -27

Doc
              Thanks guys, and I'm probably not done here with week 1 wagers. Love it so much!!!

Game I did some "time" at PG, and in the end there is no help for those folks over there. Each year thanks to ESPN they suck in newbies. Some of those guys actually think they can make big money there, and try to tout and build themselves up. However if your not an RJ ball-licker and do not conform to his rules then you want be there long. RJ makes his guys come out with 3-unit plays to increase sales. Including making them force and tout some plays only because they're on TV. Yet he is the one that preaches all that money management crap when a play loses, and all that jazz.

Doc

Comment

Good Luck Doc. Get that paper

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I like other peoples read on games, so I can try not to miss something. It seems to me that touts/analysts will still be basically 50/50. I just hope they have noticed a stator fact that I missed so I can factor those in also. I cant wait to see how your games turn out. I haven't bought in to Harbaugh yet, but don't trust Utah either--pass. Love Boise, and Tulane. Still looking at Byu but I like the under. I am also looking at WMU as a trap.

But hey, like the Wizard says, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Thanks guys, looking hard at another one for tomorrow.

Comment

Good luck this season Doc and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree 100%.

Comment

this season Doc!
                        2016 CFB 183-184 -4580
                        5* 6-8
                        15* GOY 1-0

2016 NFL 216-154 +11940
                        10* GOY 1-0
                        5* 11-7

2016 NBA 480-404 +12200
                        5* 18-12

Comment

Yeah fellers lets have a good season together!!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Docwatson View Post

Michigan +5.5 (Thursday)
                            Hawaii +8 (Thursday)
                            Arizona State +3
                            BYU +6.5
                            Texas +9.5

Added
                            Boise State -12 (Friday)
                            UCLA -19.5
                            Oklahoma -31
                            USC -27

Doc
                            West Virginia -19.5

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one as I expect the Mountaineers to get up early, and force Georgia Southern out of their comfort zone of running the ball an average of 80% of the time. WVA played much better last year than their record indicates, and Morgantown should be ready to rock with a strong start to the season.

Doc

Doc

Comment

CANT GO WRONG WITH THE NEERS' THEY WILL COVER DANA FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X