Sources: Sterling won't pay fine, might sue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Sterling won't pay fine, might sue

Donald Sterling's lawyer has informed the NBA that Sterling will not be paying the $2.5 million fine levied on him last month by commissioner Adam Silver, sources confirmed to ESPN.com on Thursday night.

More...

Re: Sources: Sterling won't pay fine, might sue

I've never quite understood how the NBA could force him to sell his team, let alone fine him for something he said in a private conversation with his girlfriend. He may be a totally racist douchebag, that is quite possible. That would be like me getting fired from my job of 20+ years because a revenge-wanting ex-g.f of mine taped me saying something. I can say whatever the fuck I want in the privacy of my home, and not have to be worried about someone secretly taping stuff I say. The whole premise seems to be very ridiculous and "big brother-like" to me. If we no longer have freedom of speech in our own homes what's next?
    "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

I have a hard time believing there hasn't been a back door deal here already.
      This franchise has a major image problem now and has lost substantial value.
      Is the owner wrong and out of line. You bet...But the NBA knew that.

Let's not kid ourselves any good business man would buy that team and move them.
      There is just way too much history and prestige to ever get to the #1 spot in that town.
      The NBA wants full control of the sale for that reason alone. If left to Sterling. He would sell to the highest bidder.
      That bidder knows the Lakers are king and it wouldn't hurt to kill the damage brand name on the way out of town.

If anything the NBA should buy him out.
      You can argue till the cows come home about him as a person.
      But you cant force him to sell what belongs too him or even worse at a financial loss.
      I'm shocked the court talk hasn't come up sooner.
      I bet he wins at least being bought out at fair market value in any court case.

What would happen if he had a player that did the same thing. Then he ripped up their contract.
      The players union would knock down old ladies getting to the nearest courthouse

Comment

I'm Canadian JJ but you're so right this is just so wrong. Freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression is what we expect, there's no middle ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jumperjack View Post
          I've never quite understood how the NBA could force him to sell his team, let alone fine him for something he said in a private conversation with his girlfriend. He may be a totally racist douchebag, that is quite possible. That would be like me getting fired from my job of 20+ years because a revenge-wanting ex-g.f of mine taped me saying something. I can say whatever the fuck I want in the privacy of my home, and not have to be worried about someone secretly taping stuff I say. The whole premise seems to be very ridiculous and "big brother-like" to me. If we no longer have freedom of speech in our own homes what's next?
          I agree 100% you should be able to say whatever you want at home period
          2011 Winner of TIS college football contest
          2012 - 2013
          NBA 33-18-1
          MLB 16-12
          NFL 27-13-1
          CFB 12-11
          CBB 9-2
          MLB 2013 2-0
          NHL 1-0

GOY 1-0 Mississippi +9.5 Over LSU 27-24

NFL 0-1

Comment

I agree 100% but lets not forget that the NBA is a "club" and the owners are "members". If the constitution of that club can call for a vote to remove a "member" for actions detrimental to the club, then it makes sense. I hate every ounce of it based on how this information became public but it still makes sense to me. The sale absolutely has to happen at market value imo.

This is far less crazy than Mozilla CEO,and founding member, Brendan Eich being forced to resign because he donated $1000 to prop 8 in California opposing gay marriage.
            "The ban on sports betting does exactly what Prohibition did, it makes criminals rich!"

Comment

Working...
            X