X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Betting Info. 4/4

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | SEATTLE at TEXAS
    TEXAS is 52-40 (+25.4 Units) against the money line when the total is 7 to 8.5 over the last 2 seasons.
    The average score was: TEXAS (4.5) , OPPONENT (4.4)

Re: MLB Betting Info. 4/4

Preview: Astros (0-0) at Yankees (0-0)

Game: 1
    Venue: Yankee Stadium
    Date: April 04, 2016 1:05 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) When Dallas Keuchel last took the mound at Yankee Stadium, he pitched six scoreless innings on short rest to lead the Houston Astros over New York and ace Masahiro Tanaka in the AL wild card game.

The AL Cy Young Award winner returns Monday for a rematch as New York hosts Houston on opening day, when cold, wintry weather is expected.

'It's fitting coming off the wild card game. It's a similar matchup from the last time we played there,' Houston manager A.J. Hinch said. 'I think for us the 40-50-degree weather will be a change, but the magnitude of playing the New York Yankees on opening day should be pretty fun for these guys.'

The Astros had planned a workout at the Bronx ballpark Sunday, but it was canceled because of chilly and windy conditions.

After averaging 104 losses the prior four seasons, the Astros went 86-76 and reached the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Houston was ahead 2-1 against Kansas City in the Division Series and led 6-2 in the eighth inning of Game 4 before the Royals rallied to win the game and later the World Series.

'Seems like the outside world was a year or two late with catching up with what we believed in here,' Keuchel said. 'It's going to be fun because the outside expectations do meet the inside expectations now.'

New York reached the playoffs last year after its first two-season absence in two decades, but the Astros ended the Yankees' postseason quickly.

Either Brett Gardner or Jacoby Ellsbury, who started the wild card game on the bench, may remain in the dugout when the Yankees take the field Monday. Aaron Hicks, a switch-hitting outfielder acquired from Minnesota for backup catcher John Ryan Murphy, had a .307 batting average against lefties last year.

Three-time All-Star Starlin Castro, acquired from the Chicago Cubs for pitcher Adam Warren and infielder Brendan Ryan, is another right-handed bat the Yankees obtained to stop left-handers' domination of their batting order. Switch-hitting Mark Teixeira was healthy for much of last season and hit 31 homers but missed the playoff game after fouling off a pitch that broke his leg.

'I think we have more options this year and I think we have a better balance to our lineup versus lefties,' Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.

New York's other big acquisition, closer Aroldis Chapman, will miss the first 30 games while serving a suspension under baseball's new domestic violence policy. Last year's closer, Andrew Miller, will hold onto that role for now. The left-hander says he won't be slowed by a chip fracture in his right wrist, an injury sustained when he was hit by a line drive last week.

Houston has the same core in its batting order, led by Jose Altuve. The AL leader in hits and stolen bases the past two seasons, Altuve is surrounded by power threats that include Colby Rasmus, Luis Valbuena and AL Rookie of the Year Carlos Correa.

But the Astros did lose Chris Carter, who signed with Milwaukee as a free agent after hitting 90 homers in three seasons for Houston.

ON THE MEND

Texas native Evan Gattis, responsible for 27 of Houston's home runs last year, will start the season on the 15-day disabled list, a move retroactive to March 25. The team's primary designated hitter, Gattis is still recovering from offseason sports hernia surgery.

GETTING EVEN YOUNGER

Carter's departure left a hole at first base that could be filled by 25-year-old Tyler White, who batted .353 with three homers and 12 RBIs during spring training. White would be making his major league debut.

CLOSING TIME

The Astros parted with former No. 1 overall draft pick Mark Appel in December, part of a seven-player trade with Philadelphia, in an effort to shore up the back of their bullpen. The key player in the return was Ken Giles, a hard throwing right-hander who had 15 saves in 20 chances in 2015 and held batters to a .219 average.

Comment

Preview: Giants (0-0) at Brewers (0-0)

Venue: Miller Park
      Date: April 04, 2016 2:10 PM EDT

MILWAUKEE (AP) Madison Bumgarner has a marquee pitching matchup coming up this week against Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw.

First, the San Francisco Giants left-hander has to get through his opening-day assignment Monday against the Milwaukee Brewers

'We're not getting too far ahead of ourselves. Milwaukee's certainly not going to be a pushover,' Bumgarner said.

Outfielder Ryan Braun heads into the opener having hit home runs in his last three spring training games. Catcher Jonathan Lucroy looks like he's over the injury woes that maligned him last season after hitting .360 during spring training.

But the Brewers are rebuilding and flush with less experienced players. The Giants are looking for another championship.

They won World Series titles in 2010, '12 and '14, so expectations are high for another run in an even-numbered year.

Bumgarner pitched in each of those three previous postseasons. Buster Posey, Hunter Pence and Brandon Crawford are old hands at jostling for position with Los Angeles atop the NL West.

The Giants added veterans Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija to an already solid starting staff. New addition Denard Span, a career .287 hitter, bolsters the outfield. Second baseman Joe Panik and starter Matt Cain have overcome injuries and made the opening-day roster.

'It's time to go and these guys are ready,' said Bochy, whose roster has been set for a week and is healthy from Day 1. 'I can't tell you, I'm so pleased with how things came together and guys are healthy and ready to go. That's all you want. For us to start the season like this, I couldn't be happier.'

The Brewers like where their organization is headed as they embark on their first full season of renovation. Spring training allowed team brass to get closer glimpses of top prospects like shortstop Orlando Arcia and outfielder Brett Phillips.

The immediate future is less rosy at the big league level. The Brewers seem highly unlikely to finish above fourth with the Cubs, Cardinals and Pirates each aiming for the NL Central crown.

There are veteran placeholders around the infield outside of second baseman Scooter Gennett. Braun and, especially, Lucroy could be attractive in-season trade candidates to contending teams.

For Braun, Monday marks his return to left field after two seasons in right. Young slugger Domingo Santana, who was acquired in the deal that sent Carlos Gomez to Houston, is taking over Braun's old position.

'Knock on wood the biggest key is staying healthy. As long as I stay healthy I think I have a chance to have a pretty good year,' said Braun, who sat out a week during the spring to rest his back. Braun's offseason scheduled was pushed back a couple weeks because of offseason back surgery.

Wily Peralta, who will be making his first career opening-day start on Monday, is another holdover who could be shopped at midseason.

Yet with all the uncertainty, the Brewers have forged a positive mindset headed into the beginning of another new season. General manager David Stearns likes the competitiveness that he's seen on the roster.

And just on the horizon, perhaps as soon as in a couple months, the Brewers could start getting infused with another wave of younger players.

'It's a fun time as an organization,' Stearns said. 'We all get to build something together.'

---

AP Baseball Writer Janie McCauley in San Francisco and AP freelance writer Patrick Ochs in Biloxi, Mississippi contributed to this story.

Comment

Preview: Twins (0-0) at Orioles (0-0)

Venue: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
        Date: April 04, 2016 3:05 PM EDT

BALTIMORE (AP) After squaring off six times in spring training, the Baltimore Orioles and Minnesota Twins became quite familiar with each other.

On Monday, it gets real.

'It's a new beginning,' Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. 'This is when you've got to show your cards.'

Opening day at Camden Yards features two AL squads that finished with nearly identical records in 2015. The difference was, the Twins derived a good deal of satisfaction from going 83-79 and Baltimore was disappointed in its .500 finish after reaching the league championship series one year earlier.

Both teams expect to improve this season. The Twins appeared to take a step in that direction during an uneventful spring training in which they went 19-11 - including 4-2 against the Orioles.

'I don't put a lot of stock into wins other than, when you win games, you're doing some things right,' second-year manager Paul Molitor said.

The Orioles opened 0-10 with two ties, and that wasn't even the worst of it. Free agent outfielder Dexter Fowler appeared close to signing before returning to the Cubs, and right-hander Yovani Gallardo finally came aboard after an exhaustive physical. Gallardo is now part of a starting rotation that will open with Kevin Gausman on the disabled list and without stalwart Miguel Gonzalez, who was cut last week.

There was also the saga of outfielder Hyun Soo Kim, who failed to make the transition from South Korea to the majors but will start the season on the 25-man roster because his contract provides him the option of declining an assignment to the minors.

The Orioles will seek to put all that behind them Monday, when Chris Tillman makes his third straight opening day start. The Twins will counter with right-hander Ervin Santana, who closed out a 7-5 season by going 4-1 with a 1.88 ERA in September.

Although the Twins are in the AL Central and Baltimore operates in the AL East, these teams have already seen each other so often it's as they're in the same division.

'It's a little strange to see a team so often in spring and then have to line up against them,' Twins righty Phil Hughes said before Sunday's workout at Camden Yards. 'I had to throw on the minor league side and do all sorts of stuff in spring training just so I wouldn't have to face the Orioles four times in spring training.'

Showalter really couldn't explain why the Orioles and Twins are seeing so much of each other this spring.

'Go figure. That's another scheduling glitch,' he said. 'The priority was always to get your work done and prepare for the other 13 teams in our league. We tweaked that some the last couple times we played them, just to be on the safe side.'

The less he sees of the Twins, the better.

'They've got a really good team,' Showalter said. 'They're one of my picks to really be very competitive this year. I really love the job that Molitor does.'

The Twins are seeking a suitable encore to their breakthrough season.

'If we do a couple things a little bit better, we have a real good shot of doing what we need to do,' Hughes said. 'Hopefully these young guys feel a little more comfortable in their second year.'

Comment

Preview: Mariners (0-0) at Rangers (0-0)

Venue: Globe Life Park in Arlington
          Date: April 04, 2016 4:05 PM EDT

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) Seattle's Scott Servais will soon be where Jeff Banister was with Texas a year ago - making his debut as a big league manager and hoping to lift a team with questions back into contention.

Banister's advice when they face each other on opening day in Texas on Monday was simple.

'Exhale,' Banister said. 'Enjoy it. It'll be a flash and memory.'

Servais will send ace Felix Hernandez to the mound for his eighth straight opening day start and ninth overall for the Mariners, who have the longest playoff drought in baseball at 14 seasons.

Seattle has won all eight openers started by Hernandez, with the soon-to-be 30-year-old right-hander going 6-0 with a 1.49 ERA.

'A lot of firsts are about to happen,' Servais said. 'I've never managed a major league game. There are some things that are going to continue to evolve in how I handle the game, but as far as my dealing with players and our team, I think it's been very consistent, I think very transparent.'

There will be a first for Banister, too. He is starting Cole Hamels, acquired in a trade-deadline deal last July that was made with an eye on the future but ended up boosting the present. The Rangers made a surprising run to the AL West banner, which will be raised before the opener.

The left-hander has been battling cold and allergy symptoms in recent days but expects to take the mound for his third opening-day start. The other two were with Philadelphia, where he spent his first nine-plus seasons. Hernandez and Hamels have the most combined opening-day starts among pitchers matched in this year's openers, according to STATS.

'Felix and I have been in the big leagues about the same amount of time,' Hamels said. 'We've kind of had the same kind of repertoire. I've always looked at him as one of the best pitchers in the game and somebody you want to face in big games. That's what makes the enjoyment for the fans and for us.'

Seattle debuts yet another overhauled lineup around core players Robinson Cano, Kyle Seager and Nelson Cruz, who became a slugging star when the Rangers went to the World Series in 2010 and 2011. Another former Ranger, Leonys Martin, is the Mariners' new center fielder.

For the most part, the Rangers bring back the same team that lost the deciding game of an AL Division Series at Toronto when three consecutive errors were followed by Jose Bautista's bat-flipping home run.

The biggest change for Texas is converted shortstop Ian Desmond taking over in left field while Josh Hamilton (left knee surgery) starts the season on the disabled list for the second straight year.

And then there's the change for Banister, who a year ago was a rookie manager taking over a 95-loss team with no expectations.

'A hundred and sixty-two plus five. That's the difference,' said Banister, the reigning AL Manager of the Year. 'I will have the same butterflies in my stomach, the same lump in my throat, the same chills. I hope I never lose that feeling.'

---

This corrects previous version to show that Hernandez has won six of his previous starts on opening day, while the Mariners have won all eight.

Comment

Preview: Nationals (0-0) at Braves (0-0)

Venue: Turner Field
            Date: April 04, 2016 4:10 PM EDT

ATLANTA (AP) The Atlanta Braves and Washington Nationals represent the extremes of the 2016 NL East.

Max Scherzer, who pitched a no-hitter in his last start of 2015, starts for Washington in Monday's opener against Julio Teheran, a rare holdover on the rebuilding Braves.

The Nationals and defending NL champion Mets appear to be the division powers. Most observers expect the Braves and Phillies to compete for last and rank among the worst teams in the majors.

The Nationals' focus is on winning now. Manager Dusty Baker was hired to massage a talented roster that includes 2015 NL MVP Bryce Harper.

Shortstop Danny Espinosa said Baker has brought an upbeat spirit to the team.

'I feel like it's a pretty good clubhouse to be in,' Espinosa said. 'It's a lot of fun. It seems like a real good, positive attitude and lightened mood. That starts with the manager. Our manager has done a real good job of keeping everyone light and keeping everyone having fun and keeping it loose.'

Washington looks ready for success after compiling the major leagues' best spring training record.

'I kind of sense a winning attitude,' said outfielder Chris Heisey. 'We kind of are starting to expect to win. I know it's spring training, but when you win as much as we did, you kind of start to realize how much you like that and you want to continue to do it.'

The Braves' focus is on 2017, which will bring the opening of new SunTrust Park and the expected first wave of prospects. For their final season at Turner Field, first baseman Freddie Freeman and Teheran are the only notable players left from the 2013 team that won 96 games and the division.

For all the talk of such prospects as infielders Dansby Swanson and Ozzie Albies, pitchers Sean Newcomb and Aaron Blair and outfielder Mallex Smith, the Braves' roster includes 14 players who are 30 or older, many serving as bridges to the future.

The Braves added veterans Jeff Francoeur and Drew Stubbs to the outfield and left-hander Eric O'Flaherty to the bullpen.

John Schuerholz, who as general manager helped build the Braves teams that won 14 straight division titles and the 1995 World Series championship, announced last week he is moving from team president to an advisory role as vice chairman. Schuerholz, 75, says he is looking forward to the Braves again becoming contenders - but he recognizes that will take time.

'We've gone from one of the worst farm systems in our league in a snap of fingers to one of the best,' Schuerholz said.

'I want to be around to see this, you're absolutely right. This is going to be a lot of fun around this organization and in this community watching Braves baseball for many, many years to come. Once the young guys begin to matriculate to the major leagues and take their place on this roster and become stars of this team ... it's going to be a very exciting time. I hope I can stay around for as long as possible to enjoy that.'

Teheran, only 25, will make his third straight opening day start. He beat Miami in last season's opener, but the Braves finished fourth in the division with only 67 wins.

'I think this year is going to be different,' Teheran said. 'I want to get a win. That's the way we want to start the year. ... I don't want to put any extra pressure on myself, just try to control what I can control and do what I can to win the game.'

The teams will be off on Tuesday. Washington's Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to face Atlanta's Bud Norris on Wednesday.

---

AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich in Washington, D.C., and AP freelance writer Dick Scanlon in Kissimmee, Florida contributed to this report.

Comment

Preview: Phillies (0-0) at Reds (0-0)

Venue: Great American Ball Park

CINCINNATI (AP) Lou Piniella will wave to fans from the back of a car while serving as grand marshal of the annual opening day parade. He'll throw a ceremonial pitch at Great American Ball Park, reminding the wind-brushed fans of the Cincinnati Reds' last glory year in 1990.

And then they'll settle in and get a reality check as the NL's two worst teams of 2015 open the season together.

The Philadelphia Phillies went 63-99, the NL's worst mark and their worst finish since 1969. The Reds were right behind at 64-98, their poorest mark since 1982 and the third-worst in franchise history.

Both teams went into an all-out rebuilding. Both are wondering if they've bottomed out and how long it will take before they can hold their own.

'We haven't had a lot of great reviews in the offseason,' Reds manager Bryan Price said. 'We understand that. We understand where we are as an organization.

'It doesn't mean that we've lowered our expectations to go out there and compete in the division, not just to play hard but to win games. And introduce a young group of pitchers to the major leagues and get them acclimated to pitching here and rebuilding that pitching staff.'

A few stars remain - Joey Votto for the Reds, Ryan Howard for the Phillies - but both rosters are filled out with youngsters trying to start a career. The Reds' pitching staff is not only inexperienced, but already depleted as well.

They went with an all-rookie rotation for the last 64 games last season, a major league record. They had to put four of their young starters on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday. Raisel Iglesias starts the opener because Anthony DeSclafani - the top starter last season - has a strained oblique.

The offense should be better with catcher Devin Mesoraco and shortstop Zack Cozart back from injuries, but the rotation is still a work in progress and there's no proven closer.

'I think it's going to be about our pitching and I think we have good enough guys that are going to be able to keep us where we need to be,' catcher Tucker Barnhart said. 'And we're going to score some runs and hopefully win a lot more ballgames than some people think.'

The Phillies can identify. They, too, have a young pitching staff and no proven closer.

Jeremy Hellickson starts the opener, unsure how many games he'll get with the Phillies. They got him from Arizona in a trade last November to add a veteran to their young staff. He can become a free agent at the end of the season, so there's a chance he could be dealt in July.

For both teams, it's more about enjoying the moment before the losses start to pile up.

'I've been a part of five opening days now, and just the atmosphere - standing on the line, seeing everything, how opening day goes down - you kind of just think, `Hopefully I can pitch one of these game sometime in my career,'' said Hellickson, who was 9-12 last season. 'It's exciting, that's for sure. I couldn't ask for a better situation to come into.'

---

AP Sports Writer Rob Maaddi in Philadelphia and AP freelance writer Terry Hutchens in Indianapolis contributed to this report.

Comment

Preview: Red Sox (0-0) at Indians (0-0)

Venue: Progressive Field

CLEVELAND (AP) Big Papi's about to take one more trip around.

One of baseball's most clutch hitters, David Ortiz has always had an impeccable knack for drama. Few players seized the moment quite like Boston's big bopper.

And, as he prepares for his 20th major league season, Ortiz feels it's time to take his last cuts.

'I'm ready to pass the torch,' he said.

On Monday, he begins his long goodbye.

A beloved New England sports icon, Ortiz, the man with the massive swing, smile and larger-than-life personality, will play the first game of his final season as the Red Sox visit the Cleveland Indians. Ortiz announced his retirement in November on his 40th birthday, and he'll spend 2016 on a farewell tour, taking a bow for a career filled with memories.

'Nothing is forever,' he said. 'It's just time to do different things.'

The first step of Ortiz's walk-off season isn't the only storyline as the Red Sox make their only visit to Progressive Field, which has been improved during the offseason with a new, massive, high-definition scoreboard that the Indians, who have one of the majors' best pitching staff, hope inspires them to score more runs.

The opener will also mark Boston manager John Farrell's return to the dugout after he stepped away last August to receive medical treatment for non-Hodgkin's Burkitt lymphoma. The Red Sox announced his cancer was in remission a few weeks following last season, and the opener represents another significant date for the 53-year-old.

Farrell's comeback coincides with the Boston debut of ace David Price, who agreed to $217 million, seven-year contract with the club in December. The left-hander will start the opener against Cleveland's Corey Kluber, the 2014 Cy Young Award winner looking to bounce back from a 16-loss season and help the Indians close the gap on Kansas City in the AL Central.

While Ortiz's sendoff in Cleveland doesn't have a major sentimental tie, there is a significant connection.

Ortiz helped Boston end its 86-year World Series drought while playing under Indians manager Terry Francona, the Red Sox skipper from 2004-11.

Francona considers Ortiz the consummate player and teammate - on the field and in the clubhouse.

'I went through the gamut with David,' Francona said. 'From watching him win games in the World Series to when he was on his back to struggling and having to pinch hit for him. We kinda came full circle. Regardless, the thing I'm probably most appreciative of when we had problems and had to fight through them - we did. He's a really proud guy. He's somebody I care about a lot and I'm glad he's going out on his own terms.'

The Indians will be the first opposing team to celebrate Ortiz's illustrious career, which began in 1997 with Minnesota. The club will honor him with a tribute and gift on Thursday, and by the time October arrives, Ortiz will have been saluted with standing ovations and likely presented with everything from rocking chairs to golf clubs.

Ortiz hopes to savor every moment, but doesn't want his final season to detour the Red Sox from accomplishing all they can.

'I'm not planning to put a lot of pressure on myself,' he said. 'Besides being my last season I also know this is a job I have to continue doing. I'm just going to take things day by day. Hopefully there are not going to be any distractions for my teammates or myself. I need to focus on what I like to do.

'That's the only way I can play the game. I'm the type of player who can't get away with not focusing. I've got of focus. I have to be on it. I like to help out the younger players. I know there are going to be a lot of teams out there trying to congratulate me. And I really appreciate that, but I don't want it to be a distraction either. I hope everything goes smooth.'

NOTES: Following a workout at Progressive Field, Ortiz and Price attended the NBA game between Charlotte and Cleveland. ... As expected, the Indians placed OFs Michael Brantley (shoulder) and Lonnie Chisenhall (wrist) on the 15-day disabled list. Brantley underwent surgery in October and had hoped to be ready for opening day. ... Cleveland also purchased the contracts of OF Marlon Byrd and LHP Ross Detwiler from Triple-A Columbus and designated LHP Giovanni Soto and INF Zach Walters for assignment.

Comment

Preview: Dodgers (0-0) at Padres (0-0)

Venue: PETCO Park
                  Date: April 04, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

SAN DIEGO (AP) There will be rookie managers in each dugout and a familiar lefty on the mound when the Los Angeles Dodgers begin pursuit of a fourth straight NL West title in Monday's opener against the San Diego Padres.

Clayton Kershaw is scheduled to start for the Dodgers while San Diego counters with Tyson Ross, making his first opening day start.

Dave Roberts, who played for both the Padres and Dodgers and most recently was on San Diego's coaching staff, was hired as Los Angeles' manager to replace Don Mattingly.

Andy Green, third base coach of the Arizona Diamondbacks last season, was hired as San Diego's skipper after the reworked Padres roster fizzled last year under Bud Black and then interim manager Pat Murphy. The Dodgers are the Padres' biggest rival, and Petco Park will be packed.

'This is real baseball. This is going to be a lot of fun,' Ross said.

The Dodgers have high expectations.

Catcher A.J. Ellis said the players responded well to Roberts during spring training.

'The confidence that he presents himself with in front of a group and the constant communication and dialogue that he has with all of his players has created an environment that should lend itself to a successful organization with big plans to play in October,' Ellis said. Kershaw, a three-time NL Cy Young Award winner who added the NL MVP Award to his haul, was 16-7 with a 2.13 ERA and 301 strikeouts, tops in the majors.

'I think what makes Clayton different and unique is his ability to stay in the present at all times,' Ellis said. 'He doesn't live in the past with his successes or failures and doesn't think too heavily about the future and the anticipation of what's coming up. He's so task-oriented and so focused on what he's doing on that particular day. That diligence and that consistency is what allows him to go out there and perform as consistently as he does.'

The vibe around the Padres is completely different than last year, when there were high expectations due to general manager A.J. Preller's wild offseason shopping spree. The Padres flattered after May and finished 74-88, three losses worse than in 2014.

Green, 38, made opening day rosters as a player, but never got a start in a season-opener.

'There are certain moments in your life that if you let all the extracurriclurs overwhelm you, you don't get to enjoy the moment,' he said. 'I refuse not to enjoy this. I am going to enjoy having the opportunity to lead this team and be part of what this city's building. At the end of the day it's a challenge and I love a challenge and we're going to do whatever we can to beat Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers.'

After last year's flop, Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said he hopes the Padres will be better than .500.

'Chemistry's a big part of it,' said Ross, who was 10-12 with a 3.26 ERA in 2015. 'We had a lot of new faces last year. We have a lot of new people this year. But it's something we've been working on since Day One, building that team chemistry and kind of creating that identity of who we're going to be as a ballclub and how we're going to go out there and handle our business.'

The Padres will have two winter meeting draft picks on their opening day roster, outfielder Jabari Blash and reliever Luis Perdomo. Each has to remain on the major league roster for an entire season or be offered back to his original club for $25,000.

San Diego set its roster Sunday when they Padres selected the contracts of left-hander Matt Thornton and infielder-outfielder Adam Rosales from the minors; optioned left-hander Robbie Erlin, outfielder Jose Pirela, infielder Alexi Amarista and catcher Austin Hedges to Triple-A El Paso; and designated right-hander Josh Martin for assignment. They also placed right-hander Jon Edwards on the 15-day disabled list with a right flexor strain and left-hander Buddy Baumann on the DL with low back strain. Both moves were retroactive to March 25.

Comment

Preview: Blue Jays (1-0) at Rays (0-1)

Game: 2
                    Venue: Tropicana Field
                    Date: April 04, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

Drew Smyly was unbeatable in his last eight starts a season ago and the Tampa Bay Rays left-hander is hoping he'll stay healthy enough to see what he can do for them over a full year.

He'll face a major challenge in his season debut Monday night against the reigning AL East champions when he tries to help the Rays even this four-game home set with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Smyly went 5-2 with a 3.11 ERA in 12 starts last year as he missed the bulk of the season due to a torn left labrum. He went 5-0 with a 2.54 ERA in his final eight outings and knows that his health is critical to the success of the Rays' staff.

'Sky's the limit. We've just need to stay healthy. That's the key," he said. 'I think if we're all healthy, pitching the way we're capable of, good things will happen."

The lefty is 1-0 with a 1.32 ERA in two starts against Toronto. Josh Donaldson is 5 for 8 with two doubles and a homer against Smyly, who is 2-0 with a 3.18 ERA in eight home starts with the Rays.

Smyly went 3-1 with a 2.70 ERA in five outings in spring training.

The Blue Jays batted .278 against lefties last season for the majors' second-best mark and began defense of their first East title in 22 years with a 5-3 victory Sunday. Marcus Stroman pitched eight innings, Edwin Encarnacion had a two-run single and Troy Tulowitzki drilled the first homer of the season with a two-run shot.

"It's definitely a good ballclub, the most superstars I've ever played with," Tulowitzki said. "We made a good run last year, I think we have some unfinished business to take care of. We talked about that, it's something that we think about all the time. We got off to a good start."

Toronto will try to do a better job of making contact after striking out 16 times against Chris Archer and three relievers. Donaldson, Chris Colabello and Ryan Goins all had three.

Evan Longoria had two of Tampa Bay's seven hits on an emotional day when the club released James Loney, the team's regular first baseman the past three years. Logan Morrison, who was 0 for 4 on Sunday, and Steve Pearce will play first this season.

Toronto veteran R.A. Dickey will make his first start since offseason knee surgery. Dickey, who has topped 200 innings in five straight seasons, went 11-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 2015 before needing the procedure to repair a torn ligament.

"My offseason was much more about trying to get to a bit of a lighter weight, get my knee strong, things like that, to be able to endure another 200-plus inning season," he told the Blue Jays' official site.

Dickey went 1-1 with a 5.02 ERA in four spring outings.

The knuckleballer was 1-3 with a 4.40 ERA in five starts versus Tampa Bay last year, going 0-2 with a 7.71 ERA in two on the road. Longoria went 3 for 13 against him in 2015.

Comment

Preview: Rockies (0-0) at Diamondbacks (0-0)

Venue: Chase Field
                      Date: April 04, 2016 9:40 PM EDT

PHOENIX (AP) There hasn't been this kind of buzz around an Arizona Diamondbacks opener since Hall of Famer Randy Johnson glared down from the mound years ago.

Zack Greinke, who stunned many in baseball by signing a $206.5 million, six-year contract with Arizona, has immediately elevated the Diamondbacks' to a team to be reckoned with. He will begin plying his trade at about $10,000 per pitch on Monday night when Arizona faces the Colorado Rockies.

This is only Greinke's second opening day start following an outing for Kansas City in 2010. In his recent years with the Los Angeles Dodgers, he pitched behind Clayton Kershaw.

Geinke, 19-3 with a major league-best 1.66 ERA last season last season, is not one to be affected by the pomp of the moment.

'I just think about when I'm making good pitches,' Greinke said, 'just trying to focus on making sure all of my pitches are working, and that's about it.'

He had a similar reaction to questions about his contract and expectations.

'I don't try to wrap my mind around it,' Greinke said. 'I mean, it doesn't cross my mind ever, really.'

He said when he signed that he had always admired the aggressive, hard-working style of play he saw from last season's Diamondbacks. Now, he's even more impressed.

'It's probably more than I even imagined,' Greinke said. 'I mean, it's really impressive the stuff that guys do around here, and it's like every single one of them, too. It's not just a couple.'

Colorado's lineup features Nolan Arenado, the 24-year-old slugger who hit a major league-best .542 (32 for 59) during spring training with nine doubles, six homers and 17 RBIs. He struck out just six times.

'He can hit every pitch. That's probably the toughest part,' Greinke said. 'Every pitch in every location - there's not many guys that can do that. I don't know how he did it. It seems like he's figured out how to hit the ball in the air more and not strike out and still has power. It's like the perfect combination.'

Arenado led the National League in home runs last season (41) and the majors in RBIs (130).

'The amount of power, the 40-plus home runs, I didn't see that coming quite yet,' Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. 'I thought he'd be 20-something homers. Obviously, he surpassed that. But nothing really surprises me with the kid. `'

Left-hander Jorge De La Rosa will start for Colorado in his second opening-day appearance following a loss for Miami two years ago. He was 9-7 with a 4.17 ERA for the Rockies last season. It's his second opening day appearance.

'It's an honor for me, to start the first game,' De La Rosa said. `I have to be calmer than I was the last time.'

The Diamondbacks had the best record in the majors in spring training but their optimism took a severe hit when All-Star center fielder A.J. Pollock fractured his right elbow in a head-first slide at home in an exhibition game against Kansas City on Friday night.

That's a big loss on defense, where Pollock won a Gold Glove, and on offense, where he was scheduled to bat one spot ahead of All-Star slugger Paul Goldschmidt.

Manager Chip Hale plans to use middle infielder Chris Owings in center quite a bit, especially against left-handed pitchers.

Owings, who said he hadn't played in center field since he was 11 or 12, made some nice catches there and hit a home run against Kansas City in an exhibition on Saturday.

The other principal center fielder will be Socrates Brito, who has a promising array of talents as well as one of the best names in baseball.

'It's really a big loss for us, losing A.J. right now,' right fielder David Peralta said, 'but there's nothing we can do. Things happen. We've got to step up. We've got to keep going. ... This is not going to stop us.'

Comment

Preview: White Sox (0-0) at Athletics (0-0)

Venue: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
                        Date: April 04, 2016 10:05 PM EDT

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) Chris Sale cherishes taking the ball on opening day. He lives for that moment, with the energy, the fanfare, hope abounding.

Last year, he didn't get that chance as White Sox manager Robin Ventura chose Jeff Samardzija. And Ventura said it wasn't necessarily a decision about how his ace was pitching, but rather a consideration of preserving Sale's health for the long haul after he'd been slowed during spring training by a fractured right foot.

It didn't keep Sale from setting a franchise record with 274 strikeouts during a lost season in which Chicago went 76-86.

Sale will take the ball in Monday night's opener against the Athletics in the Oakland Coliseum ready to build on his stellar year.

'It's probably the closest to a playoff atmosphere that I've ever been in,' Sale said. 'Just the energy, I mean, it's like the first day of school. Everybody loves the first day of school, the first day of most things. It's exciting. The fans are into it. Players really enjoy it. Just a great day as a whole.'

A's right-hander and 26-year-old ace Sonny Gray earned his third straight opening day nod after 14-win seasons in each of his first two full years in the big leagues.

Oakland finished last in the AL West at 68-94 after three straight playoff berths and isn't expected to do much better in 2016.

'Being home, that's when it's like, `Man, the season's really here,'' pitcher Chris Bassitt said. 'Obviously Sonny Game 1, and let's just get it going from there.'

Oh, the A's are used to this by now. Go ahead and list them in last place before the season even starts.

Oakland begins another season with low outside expectations and thoughts that the low-budget club will be at the bottom of the AL West and perhaps even the American League.

'We've always been a team that runs a little bit under the radar,' manager Bob Melvin said. 'It certainly doesn't hurt. I'd hate to think that we can't perform with expectations, but this team's always been in past years a team that has not really at the beginning been expected to do much. We're fine with that chip.'

The A's are counting on their revamped bullpen to back the starters after Oakland went a majors-worst 19-35 in one-run games last year.

After Oakland concluded its preseason Bay Bridge Series by beating the San Francisco Giants 4-1 on Sunday, the opening day preparations began in earnest as the stencils were pulled out for the painting of the grass.

'When you open up at home and you finish up the last game at home here you can't help but look around and think about what it's going to look like on opening night,' Melvin said.

Sale is the first of three straight left-handers Oakland gets to start the year, meaning Melvin might not be mixing and matching his lineups right away.

'We expect everybody to be ready,' Melvin said. 'Again, we're built for 25 guys.'

No matter the expectations from anybody else.

'Maybe there's a little bit of chip on some guys' shoulders when you're not expected to do well,' Melvin said. 'Internally, that's not the way we look at it. Pressure's part of the game. You have to be able to perform in pressure.'

---

AP freelance writer Jack Thompson contributed to this report.

Comment

Preview: Cubs (0-0) at Angels (0-0)

Game: 2
                          Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
                          Date: April 04, 2016 10:05 PM EDT

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) The Chicago Cubs are loaded with pitching, power and playoff experience. A franchise that hasn't won the World Series in 108 years opens the season Monday night as a strong contender to reign in October.

Chicago's most anticipated season in generations begins just down the street from Disneyland, but these Cubs are no Cinderellas.

'I think the expectations are wonderful,' Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Sunday. 'Pressure is a wonderful word. And if you channel it properly, it's going to make you better.'

Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta takes the mound against Garrett Richards and the Los Angeles Angels to open a year of enormous expectations and thrilling possibilities. Thousands of the longest-suffering fans in baseball will be at Angel Stadium to herald the start.

The Cubs haven't shied away from the spotlight trained on their talent - or the accompanying magnification from the franchise's 1908 World Series drought.

'If you ask the guys in here, it makes the game even more fun,' Maddon said. 'I mean, why would you want to go to a ballpark with 10,000 people, and you're predicted to finish last? Why would you ever want to be there? I've been there, actually. And it's no fun. I'd much rather have a raucous and crazy ballpark with a great fan base and high expectations, and try to live up to those.'

The Cubs won 97 games last season, only good for third in the brutally competitive NL Central, but reached the Championship Series with a series of gritty playoff performances. They got even better in the offseason, adding slugger Jason Heyward, Ben Zobrist and John Lackey to a team already bursting with young talent.

'When you have a team that's already won 97 games, and then you have the talent level that we've added, there's high expectations,' catcher David Ross said. 'We embrace that. We're excited about that. We're excited about having those guys on board, because they're going to make us better in so many different ways.'

The Cubs begin the two-game interleague series against Mike Trout, Albert Pujols and the Angels, who missed the playoffs on the final day of their 85-win season last fall. Aside from the wondrous Trout, the Angels have only a fraction of the Cubs' young talent despite missing the playoffs in five of the last six seasons.

'(The Cubs) have a great team, but this is not about who's the favorite,' said Pujols, the Cardinals' longtime slugger. 'This is about who plays better when you cross that white line. So I wouldn't fall asleep to Cardinals and Pirates, because they're going to have tough teams. It's going to be a tough division over there.'

Richards will make his first opening day start for the Angels, taking over the role from longtime ace Jered Weaver. While he hasn't matched Arrieta's extraordinary numbers, Richards has won 28 games over the last two seasons with power, control and improved secondary pitches.

'He has grown into that pitcher that his talent said he could be,' manager Mike Scioscia said. 'So he's definitely earned the honor of going out there and throwing the first game for us.'

Shortstop Andrelton Simmons and third baseman Yunel Escobar will make their Angels debuts, and veteran Daniel Nava should take over in left field. The Angels coveted Heyward to fill that gaping hole in their lineup before deciding they couldn't get anywhere near the $184 million deal given to him by the Cubs.

Maddon knows Anaheim well from 30 years with the organization as a player, scout and minor league manager before 12 seasons as a big league coach, including three stints as the Angels' interim manager and six years as Scioscia's bench coach.

But Maddon is focused on a season of limitless possibilities for his Cubs.

'We're going to have our rough moments,' Maddon said. 'But I think we have the ability mentally and physically to fight through those moments. If you factor in everything - experience, talent level, the motivation of the group - they want to become a part of the first team that wins a World Series for the Cubs in a long, long time. So there's so many good things that can repel pressure and expectations.'

Comment

MLB

Monday's games

National League games

Giants @ Brewers
                            Bumgarner is 0-2, 3.92 in his last three starts; six of his last eight starts went over; he has a 5-2, 1.96 mark against Milwaukee, in eight career starts.

Peralta is 0-2, 7.02 in his last four starts; his last four starts went over. He is 3-1, 4.85 in his five starts against the Giants.

Giants won five of six games with Milwaukee LY.

Nationals @ Braves
                            Scherzer is 3-1, 1.63 in his last five starts; under is 3-1-1 in his last five starts. He gave up two runs in 8.1 IP in losing his only start vs Atlanta LY.

Teheran is 2-1, 1.54 in his last six starts (under 4-1-1). He is 3-2, 3.65 in 11 career starts vs Washington.

Washington was 14-5 against the Braves last year.

Phillies @ Reds
                            Hellickson is 0-4, 5.52 in his last four starts; four of his last five starts stayed under. He lost his only career start vs Cincinnati, allowing four runs (three earned) in six IP.

Iglesias is 0-3, 4.54 in his last five starts; his last three starts went over. He hasn't pitched against the Phillies.

Philly lost four of six games with Cincinnati LY.

Dodgers @ Padres
                            Kershaw is 3-1, 2.01 in his last five starts; under is 6-4 in his last 10 starts. He was 0-0, 3.20 in three starts vs San Diego LY.

Ross is 0-3, 3.19 in his last five starts (under 3-1-1). He was 0-1, 2.25 in two starts against the Dodgers LY.

Dodgers were 14-5 against San Diego last year.

Rockies @ Diamondacks
                            De La Rosa is 2-1, 2.06 in his last four starts; six of his last seven starts stayed under total. He is 9-8, 2.94 in 22 career starts against Arizona.

Greinke makes his Arizona debut here; he is 7-1, 1.97 in his last nine starts. Six of last nine Greinke starts stayed under the total. He was 2-1, 1.23 in five starts vs San Diego LY.

Colorado was 6-13 against the Diamoondbacks LY.

American League games

Astros @ Bronx
                            Keuchel is 5-0, 1.34 in his last five starts; three of his last four starts stayed under. He has a career mark of 2-1, 1.13 in three starts against the Bronx Bombers.

Tanaka is 1-2, 2.61 in his last five starts (under 4-1). He allowed six runs in five IP in his only start against the Astros.

Astros beat Bronx in Wild Card Game LY, they were 4-3 in the seres LY.

Twins @ Orioles
                            Santana is 5-1, 1.62 in his last seven starts; under is 4-1-1 in his last six outings. He is 4-5, 4.98 in 14 career starts against Baltimore.

Tillman is 2-0, 3.38 in his last three starts; over is 4-2-1 in his last seven starts. He is 0-4, 4.82 in six career starts against Minnesota.

Twins won all seven games with Baltimore last year.

Mariners @ Rangers
                            Hernandez is 4-1, 2.74 in his last six starts; over is 5-2-1 in his last eight starts. He was 5-0, 1.83 in five starts against Texas LY.

Hamels is 4-1, 4.14 in his last six starts; over is 8-0-1 in his last nine starts. He was 2-1, 4.00 in four starts against Seattle LY.

Seattle was 12-7 against the Rangers LY.

Red Sox @ Indians
                            Price makes his Boston debut here; he is 1-2, 6.17 in his last four starts. He is 9-2, 2.19 in 13 career starts against Cleveland.

Kluber is 1-4, 4.57 in his last seven starts; his last three starts stayed under. He is 1-2, 4.91 in six career starts against Boston.

Boston lost four of six games with Cleveland LY.

Rays @ Blue Jays
                            Dickey is 1-1, 3.70 in his last five starts (over 4-0-1). He is 7-8, 4.20 in 18 career starts vs Tampa Bay.

Smyly is 5-0, 2.74 in his last eight starts; over is 4-2-1 in his last seven. He is 1-0, 1.10 in his five career appearances (two starts) against Toronto.

Jays-Rays are 10-10 in their last 20 series games. .

White Sox @ A's
                            Sale is 1-4, 5.81 in his last five starts (under 4-1). He is 3-2, 2.90 in five starts vs Oakland.

Gray is 2-2, 6.61 in his last six starts; six of his last seven starts went over. He is 0-0, 8.10 (nine ER in 10 IP) in two career starts against the White Sox.

Chicago was 5-2 against the A's LY.

Interleague games

Cubs @ Angels
                            Arrieta is 5-1, 1.73 in his last six starts; under is 8-1-1 in his last ten starts. He is 0-1, 7.47 in his three career starts against the Angels.

Richards is 2-1, 3.58 in his last four starts; four of his last five starts went over. This is his first career start against the Cubs.

Cubs and Angels didn't play LY.

Comment

Previews, Streaks, Tips, Notes

Houston Astros at New York Yankees April 4, 1:05 EST

When the Houston Astros visit the New York Yankees Monday afternoon 'Under' gamblers may well rejoice in cashing another ticket. In the past seventeen meetings 'Under' has been the right choice thirteen times with four 'Over'. Another positive for 'Under' gamblers. The 'Under' has paid dividends in four of five Yankee games with Tanaka hurling, in eight of ten Yankees home games and in five of eight Houston road games w/Dallas Keuchel on the mound.

Comment

Working...
                              X