Report: Maddon to be named manager of Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Maddon to be named manager of Cubs

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Cubs are hiring Joe Maddon as manager.
    Maddon opted out of his contract with the Rays on October 24 and took less than a week to land a new gig. He's joining a Cubs team that is very much on the rise, and with much more financial freedom than what he was working with in Tampa Bay. Reports had Maddon seeking a five-year contract worth $25 million and the Cubs presumably met those demands.

Re: Report: Maddon to be named manager of Cubs

Comment

Should be a good fit with what Theo is trying to do there. Let's see if they get out the checkbook for pitching to go along with that farm system. Like to see what Madden can do with someone who will spend $$ and acquire players at the dead line rather than dealing em

Comment

Originally posted by Spark44 View Post
        Should be a good fit with what Theo is trying to do there. Let's see if they get out the checkbook for pitching to go along with that farm system. Like to see what Madden can do with someone who will spend $$ and acquire players at the dead line rather than dealing em
        I don't know if they will expand payroll too much. I think the long term plan was to develop a strong farm system.
        Followed by a talented roster and then be able to keep the core group together.
        I have not looked at the free agent pitching market. But would guess they wont be a player for guys like Shields and Max.
        Not just from the financial end, but also the draft pick compensation.
        Last season they dropped quite a few games because of the bullpen. That might be the best part of the roster to throw money at for 2015.
        I think they have some guys down on the farm they added just with the thought of trading them or moving them to a new spot on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGame View Post
          I don't know if they will expand payroll too much. I think the long term plan was to develop a strong farm system.
          Followed by a talented roster and then be able to keep the core group together.
          I have not looked at the free agent pitching market. But would guess they wont be a player for guys like Shields and Max.
          Not just from the financial end, but also the draft pick compensation.
          Last season they dropped quite a few games because of the bullpen. That might be the best part of the roster to throw money at for 2015.
          I think they have some guys down on the farm they added just with the thought of trading them or moving them to a new spot on the field.
          You are exactly right, I don't think the Cubbies are in the running for a major FA starting pitcher. Absolutely a great signing of Madden as manager, but they need to find some pitching somewhere or the whole thing means nothing. Cubs' current/future line-up looks to me to be one of the best line-ups in the majors, but starting pitching makes the MLB world go round, Cubbies are at least 2 starting good pitchers from contending .
          "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

Originally posted by jumperjack View Post
            You are exactly right, I don't think the Cubbies are in the running for a major FA starting pitcher. Absolutely a great signing of Madden as manager, but they need to find some pitching somewhere or the whole thing means nothing. Cubs' current/future line-up looks to me to be one of the best line-ups in the majors, but starting pitching makes the MLB world go round, Cubbies are at least 2 starting good pitchers from contending .
            To qualify my last statement, I don't think the Cubs will waste their time or money with any of the currently available free agent starting pitchers.
            "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

If Jake Arrieta is the real deal. Then they need a solid 2 and 3 guy for sure.
              The top 3 guys out there will be Shields, Max and Lester.
              Next tier is Santana. Who I think the Braves tied compensation to him I could be wrong.
              After those guys.
              Peavy 33 years old / Probably 10 to 12 million per year.
              Edinson Volquez 31 years old / 6 to 8 Million
              Francisco Liriano 31 years old / 7 to 8 Million
              Justin Masterson 29 years old / 5 Million

After the big 3. There is a pretty substantial drop off.
              I guess the list could get bigger if teams declines some options or arbitration eligible pitchers.
              It's not a great list of talent by any means. But there are guys that would be an upgrade.
              I get and like 5 year / long term plans. But at some point you have to start setting wins as a goal.
              The Royals blueprint is a pretty good one to follow for the Cubs.
              Your going to probably have to move a big name prospect to get the big name pitcher you need.
              Doesn't really matter how many home runs you club if you cant get people out.

I know some of my friends don't like my Tigers idea.
              But with many big spenders looking for pitching. Why not dangle Price out there and see what you could get.
              With the Rays. There was no way the Yankees, Boston or Baltimore would get a shot at him.
              So now you can at least put him out there and see what you could get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGame View Post
                If Jake Arrieta is the real deal. Then they need a solid 2 and 3 guy for sure.
                The top 3 guys out there will be Shields, Max and Lester.
                Next tier is Santana. Who I think the Braves tied compensation to him I could be wrong.
                After those guys.
                Peavy 33 years old / Probably 10 to 12 million per year.
                Edinson Volquez 31 years old / 6 to 8 Million
                Francisco Liriano 31 years old / 7 to 8 Million
                Justin Masterson 29 years old / 5 Million

After the big 3. There is a pretty substantial drop off.
                I guess the list could get bigger if teams declines some options or arbitration eligible pitchers.
                It's not a great list of talent by any means. But there are guys that would be an upgrade.
                I get and like 5 year / long term plans. But at some point you have to start setting wins as a goal.
                The Royals blueprint is a pretty good one to follow for the Cubs.
                Your going to probably have to move a big name prospect to get the big name pitcher you need.
                Doesn't really matter how many home runs you club if you cant get people out.

I know some of my friends don't like my Tigers idea.
                But with many big spenders looking for pitching. Why not dangle Price out there and see what you could get.
                With the Rays. There was no way the Yankees, Boston or Baltimore would get a shot at him.
                So now you can at least put him out there and see what you could get.

My heart and soul bleeds for the Brewers', but our franchise should be a do/don't template for every other MLB club . I absolutely love how aggressive Mr. Attenassio has been in signing free agents, but at some point you have to look back at what talent you gave up for the talent you got in return. This whole recently past world series I found myself rooting for the Royals, entirely based upon the ex-Brewers that were the stars of their team. From day 1 I thought trading away Lorenzo Cain was a huge mistake. I met him and talked to him and thought he was one of the most mature 20 year old kids I ever met in my life. Soon after the Brewers thought they needed Zack Greinke to make the world seem right. In retrospect an obviously horrible trade for my Brewers gave Cain & Alcides Escobar to the Royals for Zack Grienke. Giving up that kind of talent is totally understandable for a starting pitcher of Greinke's caliber, but not when you are not willing to pay the guy you traded for. Basically you rent a stud pitcher because you think you're good enough to contend. I absolutely hate that line of thinking!!

Comment

My heart and soul bleeds for the Brewers', but our franchise should be a do/don't template for every other MLB club . I absolutely love how aggressive Mr. Attenassio has been in signing free agents, but at some point you have to look back at what talent you gave up for the talent you got in return. This whole recently past world series I found myself rooting for the Royals, entirely based upon the ex-Brewers that were the stars of their team. From day 1 I thought trading away Lorenzo Cain was a huge mistake. I met him and talked to him and thought he was one of the most mature 20 year old kids I ever met in my life. Soon after the Brewers thought they needed Zack Greinke to make the world seem right. In retrospect an obviously horrible trade for my Brewers gave Cain & Alcides Escobar to the Royals for Zack Grienke. Giving up that kind of talent is totally understandable for a starting pitcher of Greinke's caliber, but not when you are not willing to pay the guy you traded for. Basically you rent a stud pitcher because you think you're good enough to contend. I absolutely hate that line of thinking!!
                  I agree with you 100 percent. The talent they unloaded makes sense if you are keeping him and not just a rental.
                  Then you flip the script and look at it from the Royals side and it was a game changing move for them.
                  It's where the Cubs are kind of at now. Are you going to make a game changing move. Or continue with a slow build.

Now flip it to my other favorite and home town team the Tigers. Was Price a one and a half season rental or a long term investment.
                  I don't think right now today the Tigers are a World Series contender.
                  Even if they bring Victor back and honestly. If he really wants a 4 year deal that takes him to his age 39 season. Then I say nice knowing you.
                  He just had his career year. I think this past season is his high water mark and in baseball that is what you get paid for.
                  I don't think he will just decline at rapid speed. But what you pay him now will be overpriced for a 280, 15 to 20 HR and 80 to 90 RBI guy in a year or two.
                  Then you also have that bullpen. Right now if you believe the GM. Soria has the 8th and Nathan still has the 9th.
                  Unless they pitch like garbage in the spring or better options walk in the door.
                  But if they do. What do you do with these guys. Move them to long relief. Good luck with that.

All the above is why I think you look at Price long term with the outlook of your franchise long term.
                  Cabrera, Kinsler, Verlander and Annibal Sanchez are signed and locked in for a few years.
                  That is the core you build around. Again it's an over priced move. But I would consider making Verlander the next John Smoltz.
                  Put him in the closer role and start slowing down the miles on his arm. Then when you find your Kimbrel, move him back.
                  Trade Price for guys that can play now and prospects.
                  This guy on the low end is going to cost you 6 years and 120 million dollars.
                  Again not bad if you didn't already have 2 of those deals already on your books and you're a David Price away from a title.

Comment

When i was a youngster my heart was broken when my Braves moved to Atlanta, so some friends and i started
                    taking the Greyhound bus to Chitown and thus i became a Cubs fan, do i take a lot of shit ? Oh yeah i do
                    Do i hate the Brewers ? nah.......love some of the players Yount,Molitor Cooper, the 80's teams.
                    I recently FB some Brewer pals of mine thanking Attenasio for keeping the two biggest goofs in the game
                    Melvin & Roenicke (my opinion) I really do believe that Theo will make a move on Lester or Sherzer so i guess we shall see ..........Maddon outstanding hire by Theo......It sure was tough watching the hometown Brewers collapse the last month this entire city was deflated, my buddies all said to me now we can relate to what you endured when the '69 Cubs took a crap....... but thats why you play all 162.....anyway it's GO CUBS GO in2015

Comment

Originally posted by daddyboom View Post
                      When i was a youngster my heart was broken when my Braves moved to Atlanta, so some friends and i started
                      taking the Greyhound bus to Chitown and thus i became a Cubs fan, do i take a lot of shit ? Oh yeah i do
                      Do i hate the Brewers ? nah.......love some of the players Yount,Molitor Cooper, the 80's teams.
                      I recently FB some Brewer pals of mine thanking Attenasio for keeping the two biggest goofs in the game
                      Melvin & Roenicke (my opinion) I really do believe that Theo will make a move on Lester or Sherzer so i guess we shall see ..........Maddon outstanding hire by Theo......It sure was tough watching the hometown Brewers collapse the last month this entire city was deflated, my buddies all said to me now we can relate to what you endured when the '69 Cubs took a crap....... but thats why you play all 162.....anyway it's GO CUBS GO in2015
                      See I knew there was a hidden reason I liked you. Same thing here. Cubs fan and Tigers. But don't go around hating other teams.
                      Jumper knows that because we have talked before about his Brewers. Same way Cardfan and I chat about his Cardinals.
                      By the way I like that trade for Lind.
                      Was looking at him for a Tigers target if they lost Victor.

I started a rumors / trade thread. So far Robertson the closer from the Yankees might be on the Cubs radar.
                      Would be great if they went after Sherz or Lester. Going to be a big ticket cost for either one.
                      Rumor was Max turned down 140 million here.

Comment

Russell Martin would be a good acquisition i believe, Castillo is so-so

Comment

Working...
                        X