The 2016 Kentucky Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2016 Kentucky Derby

It's a dull Saturday with the rain and all here in my area. So I thought put up somethings I gathered over the years to share with you Bastards.
    I mean it's a 20 horse field so why not try to narrow them down as quick as possible to help you lock into a couple of nice payers, and spend more time structuring your tickets rather than combing non-essentials items that the past performances show.

History:

The first Kentucky Derby was run in 1875, and since that beginning, through major world wars, and the Great Depression, and whatever . . . there has never been a missed running. What a great American tradition it really is. In my opinion it is under appreciated and should be a national holiday!

I mean everyone-and-their-brother comes out to make money on this race. They're either betting it, or selling their so-called expert selections. Funny how those cats come out of the wood-work. We'll just have to let them tout their little $7.80 winner. Ah, but I reckon that's a pet peeve for another day....

The preps started last September at Churchill & Santa Anita, and now the field is pretty much set as we wait for post position draws.

This is the forth year of the points system for qualification into the Derby. In two of the previous three years, the Derby was won by the points total leader (last year that horse is International Star). Triple Crown winner American Pharoah was 4th going into his run for the roses. For 2016 it's Steve Asmussen's Gun Runner leading the way.

Trends:

The thing about trends is that they are right . . . until they are wrong! But in the Derby there is money to be made regardless.

The main trend of note in recent decades of the Derby had been the very low percentage of winning favorites. In the previous 33 years (1980 through 2012), the favorite had won the Derby only 4 times! But then the last three years were won by favorites, Orb in 2013 (but was at a very acceptable 5/1 and keyed a huge exacta of $982), and California Chrome after that (and still again the exacta paid a respectable $340 with the Trifecta paying $3400+). However last year with American Pharoah was the worse paying Derby we've seen in ages. The exacta paid a very cold $72.60, and a trifecta that makes me shiver at $202.00. In the words of Charles Barkley "Just turrble"

Of course, the Derby always has the potential for monster payoffs. In recent decades we’ve had Gato Del Sol at $44.4, Ferdinand at $37.40, Lil E Tee at $35.6, Thunder Gulch at $51, Charismatic at $64.6, War Emblem at $43, Giacomo at $102.6, Mine That Bird at $103.2, Super Saver at $43.8, and I'll Have Another at $32.6. In the words of Derk Diggler....well I won't go there.

Another trend is recency . . .

In general, horses do well by racing into condition particularly in the marquee races. Now, of course, this isn't always true top trainers can bring horse up to an important race off a training regimen alone (the late, great Bobby Frankel was a master of that). However, there is a long-standing stat/fact: since 1956, no horse has won a Derby without having a prep race in the previous 6-weeks. But when Animal Kingdom won four years ago, he was only one-day shy of having been off 6 weeks (after resting off the Dubai trip), so that trend, for all practical purposes, essentially ended that year.

• Another extremely long-standing stat is that of Derby winners having raced as two year olds. That trend has been going since 1882. Horses just don’t win the Derby without having raced as a 2-yr old. This is the so-called "Apollo's Curse" (the name of the last horse to accomplish it).
    • No horse has won the Derby after finishing worse than fourth in its prior start since Iron Liege, who was fifth in the 1957 Derby Trial.

Prep Races:

• I've always been of the opinion that, in order to seriously consider for the win spot in the Derby the horse should have won or placed in a Grade 1 or Grade 2 prep race at over a mile distance as a 3 year old.

Beyer Numbers:

There is somewhat of a trend going here as well;

A. They seem to be less and less an important factor, and
    B. They had been getting lower each year in recent years. Formerly, a horse needed a 105 or better in one of the major preps, but those kinds of figures have been rare as hen’s teeth in recent years.

However, The 2014 winner, California Chrome did sport the highest Beyer at 107 (the only horse in the field with a 105 or greater), and in 2015 There was a good crop of four that cracked that coveted 105 number; American Pharoah with a 105, Dortmund with a 106, Upstart with a 108, and Materiality with a 110. Something to look for.

Pace:

Overall the Derby is only rarely won by a dedicated front-running type. There are so many runners trying so hard that the 'slow-'em-down-and-steal-it-on-the-lead' type race (which is very common in day-to-day racing) just doesn't happen in the Derby. Anecdotally: I had a big bet on War Emblem in 2002 when he took them wire-to-wire, but he wasn't a “need-to-lead” type, and he could have as easily run from off the pace and still have won it as he was much the best that day.

In normal racing, around 60 percent of races are won by horses that are positioned among the front 3 at the first call. In the Derby that figure drops to around 20 percent.

When the speedballs do go at each other then on occasion a deep closer type will come in, but the overall best profile for this particular race is a mid-pack runner that can stay in touch with the leaders and have something left for the stretch preferably with tactical speed that has a "push button" aspect to it so as to help get and maintain position while avoiding traffic problems.

As a result of the new points system for qualification into the race none of the allowed qualifying races are sprints. So sprint type speed horses have necessarily disappeared. No more can a couple of high-purse value wins at the shorter distances get a horse into the Derby. The proverbial "melt-down" race where the pace completely falls apart will from now on (I would think) be a rarer occurrence.
    Andy Beyer quoted a very pertinent stat before the 2014 Derby: Since 1986, the first half mile has been run in less than 46 seconds eight times. In each of those years, stretch-runners have prevailed, most of them coming from far, far behind. Watch the half-mile time as the race unfolds you’ll have a good indication of your horse’s chances.

Last year American Pharoah ran a 45:1 at 7f when winning the Del Mar Futurity as a 2 yr old, and he pressed a 45:4 in the Arkansas Derby. The 15' Derby it was 47.34 and he was running 3rd just off the lead.

In ending here; I love horse racing. I enjoy handicapping the horses, love seeing the race unfold and knowing how it's going to shake out, and I FRG to have a winning day. So.......

May The Winners Be Yours!

Doc

Re: The 2016 Kentucky Derby

Well Post positions are out, and I have to say there's two long-shots that stand out right away to me.

Mo Tom - He had trouble and had to take up in his two Prep races, but has two solid races over this course at Churchill. He has a great turn of foot and closes great so the extra distance will help.

Whitmore - is working very well at Churchill, and has a win over the Churchill downs track. He had trouble early in running 3rd to Creator, and looked flattened out but he went 5 or 6 wide to try and make up for being squeezed.

Danzing Candy starts from the 20 hole and since he wants the front and the connections will like that.

So that should set the pace I'm anticipating for this race. Still some work to do, but I'll be sharing my structured tickets in my thread come this Saturday.

Doc

Comment

thanks Doc

Comment

Okay, lets break it down:

Early Pace:

Unlike last year, there are few committed early speed types in this race. Becauseseveral of the main prep races were run fast early / slow late with the speedhorses killing each other off and the races kind of falling apart. The pointsnecessary to get into the derby were got by the closers.

#20 Danzing Candy is the speed of the race, and with his outside post draw, he willautomatically be gunning in order to get over and save ground, so might go evenfaster than usual he should secure the lead.

Of the others capable of staying close early #15 Outwork will also be getting after itfrom post 15 . . .#13 Nyquist will want to be right there with the two mentioned, and#14 Mohaymen will likely fall right in behind that group.

Pressers & Mid-Pack Runners:

Racing Luck always plays a part in the Derby. There will be bumping and jostling, some will be squeezed off (often more than once), and have to take up some will get behind horses and have nowhere to run this is the Derby.
        #9 Destin will not want to lose touch with that early group, and he’ll likely get urged a bit so as to avoid the heavy traffic just behind . . . the same applies #5 Gunrunner.

Then there will be the thundering herd.

Closers:

There are some strong late-kick horses in here. Hopefully they will get enough of a pace to run at in order to show their stuff: #2 Suddenbreakingnews, #3 Creator, #10 Whitmore, #4 Mo Tom, #11 Exaggerator.

Since 1986, the first half mile has been run in less than 46 seconds eight times. In each of those years, stretch-runners have prevailed, most of them coming from far, far behind. Watch the half-mile time as the race unfolds, and you’ll have a good indication of your horse’s chances.

I don’t think they will go a sub 46 this year, though a couple of them can, but they won’t want to. Unless of course they get hooked up and a jock or two decide not to accede the lead to the other.

The best running style for the Derby has always been one that can stay in touch with the pacesetter/s, have acceleration when needed for avoiding trouble, and a good kick late.

For the true closers, and if a fairly slow pace develops, the one/s that work out the best ground-saving trip will have the best shot.

Workouts:

#8 Lani: the word is he has been very reluctant to work – even to coming out onto the track!
        #15 Outwork: Has looked good on the track and in all his works.
        #14 Mohaymen: He’s been high energy every time on the track. To the point of rankness at times.
        #17 Mor Spirit: wouldn’t pass his workmate in his last 5f drill on 5/2 – but went in a decent 59:57

Comments on Horses followed by my Betting Line (BL):

#5 Gun Runner: The points leader got to that position by winning both of the two G2 Derby Preps at Fairgrounds. Though favored in neither, he stepped up and won both the Risen Star, and then the La Derby (convincingly - pulling away by almost 5 lengths).

Gunrunner is out of sensational race horse - Candy Ride. That one was retired undefeated, and set a track record for 1 ¼ in the G1 Pacific Classic at Del Mar. His dam’s sire was Giant’s Causeway, so the stamina question doesn’t apply.

He broke his maiden at Churchill, and also won a race at Keeneland. Must be considered.

Betting Line Set @ 10/1

#13 Nyquist: He’ll be the favorite and deservedly so. He is a winner of 4 G1 stakes including the Breeders Cup Juvenile last year and the Florida Derby in his last is still undefeated in 7 races life-time, and will be the richest horse ever to start in a Kentucky Derby.

He’s had only two nicely-spaced races this year, should be coming in fresh, and ready to run big.

His stamina breeding is not deep. Nyquist has ‘miler’ genes and has already been able to stretch those because of his raw talent. He very well may win the Derby, but if he does it will be in spite of his breeding.

Betting Line Set @ 5/1

#11 Exaggerator
        : Well thought of as a two-year old (ran 4th in the BC Juvenile), his 3-race, 3 yr-old campaign has seen him run a close second to Nyquist in the G2 San Vincente at Santa Anita, came back with a troubled third in the G2 San Felipe, and then he exploded with a big one in the G1 Santa Anita Derby while coming from 16 lengths back to roll home by a widening 6+ lengths. He could be peaking at the right time and distance appears no problem at all.

Out of two-time Horse of the Year, Curlin, he’s got Classics stamina on the sire side and speed passing through the female line. The way he won the Santa Anita Derby in the slop, he looked like he could have run at least another ¼ mile without even slowing down.

He has the most experience in the field, and a shot at taking it all, if there is any kind of pace on up front, and if it wasn’t just the sloppy track that moved him up at Santa Anita.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#15 Outwork: Another in the field out of sire Uncle Mo, and a half-brother to Nyquist. He’s lightly raced and has always run well.

He ran only once as a 2-yr old, breaking his Maiden at first asking as a 3/5 favorite at Keeneland. He then won a tune-up Alw race in Feb – and came back with a gutsy second in the G2 Tampa Bay Derby (the winner set a track record that day). In his last, he eked out his G1 win in a slowly run Wood Memorial in the mud at Aqueduct.

His sire line is all speed and suspect at over 1 1/8, but he does get stamina from his female line.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#19 Brody’s Cause: He ran third in the BC Juvenile, then flopped in his come-back race this year the G2 Tampa Bay Derby. He then rallied strongly from off the pace to capture the G1 Blue Grass at Keeneland in last. All three of his wins have come in Kentucky, he broke his Maiden at Churchill, and has kind of a “home-field” advantage.

His sire was Giant’s Causeway, and he’s got the genes to run all day.

I’m not sold on how good the Blue Grass field actually was, and as well this post will likely work against this horse.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#3 Creator
        : This guy absolutely came from the clouds to take the G1 Arkansas Derby at 11-1. It took him 6 tries at 4 different race tracks to break his Maiden, but he’ll be dangerous for top trainer Assmussen if he gets some pace to run at, and manages to avoid traffic problems while rolling from somewhere near the back of the pack.

Out of top sire, Tapit he’s also got stamina on the dam side. His dam, Morena, won a graded race at 1 ½ in Peru, and ran very well in the 1 ¼ G1 Personal Ensign in the U.S., and adds an extra bit of stamina by being from the non-Phalaris bloodline.

Betting Line Set @ 6/1

#8 Lani: Japanese runner went to Dubai and won the Group 2, UAE Derby. That race however was estimated to have earned only around an 83 Beyer fig, and very low for this field. But he did stumble at the start of that race, almost going to his knees, and spotted the field 2-3 lengths.

He is a surprise package, and unlike any of the U.S. horses, this guy has already run the 1 ¼ distance on the grass once in Japan, so should be okay for the distance.

His breeding confirms that . . . He’s another in here out of Tapit, and his dam’s sire was the great race horse, and Kentucky Derby winner, Sunday Silence. Extremely tough assignment for him in here.

Betting Line Set @ 50/1

#17 Mor Spirit: Has been mixing it up with the good ones on the west coast. With 7 races under his belt, and old pros Bob Baffert and Gary Stevens in his corner lack of experience won’t be his downfall. Saturday will be the first time he doesn’t go to the post as the race favorite.

He has been either first or second in all 7 of his starts, has a race over the track as a 2 yr old, has a G1 win as a 2 yr old, and comes in off a good runner-up try to Exaggerator in the G1 Sa Derby. A lot to like (but not the post). The 17 hole is 0fer.

He’s got stamina to spare from his sire line (grandsire is Classic Chef-de-race, Giant’s Causeway), and brilliant speed from his dam’s sire line (Dixie Union). The distance should pose no problem.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#14 Mohaymen
        : This 2.2 $million yearling purchase was undefeated going into the Florida Derby and his showdown with Nyquist. He was inexplicably flat that day, his first time running farther than the 8.5 furlong distance, and checked in 4th behind three others that are in here today.
        I kind of think he should be forgiven that race, and he certainly could bounce back. It has to be considered though, whether or not he’ll like the added distance.

Out of top sire, Tapit, he is bred very well though not obviously for the Classic distances. However, his stamina genes look to be deep enough for him to most likely get the 1 ¼ mile distance, as his Dosage Index and Center of Distribution figs are well within historically positive parameters.
        His best race would put him right at the wire. Contender.

Betting Line Set @ 5/1

#20 Danzig Candy: He won the G2 San Felipe at Santa Anita, beating Exaggerator, and Mor Spirit. Then came back to run behind each of those in his last the G1 Santa Anita Derby where he was free-running on a long lead while setting quick fractions in the slop, but got caught and faded to 4th @ 13 lengths behind winner Exaggerator (while actually running a race that was 4 lengths shorter than that one!). Was it the slop, or distance (that last race was his first try at over 1 1/16 mile) that hurt him?

His breeding is mostly speed-oriented, with turf breeding from the dam’s line.

He’s a speedy sophomore alright, but If he isn’t able to “steal” it on the lead (i.e if no one goes with him up front), then I don’t see him even hitting the board.

Betting Line Set @ 20/1

#9 Destin: This one is moving forward nicely for top trainer, Todd Pletcher. His last was a monster, setting the track record for 8.5 furlongs in the Tampa Bay Derby.

Both of his graded wins have come at Tampa Bay, but he was flattered a bit when Outwork (who he bested in the Tampa Derby) came back to win the Wood Memorial. Destin has yet to run at longer than the mile and a sixteenth distance.

His breeding, though he is out of the great Giant’s Causeway, doesn’t exactly shout “Classics.” The average winning distance of foals from his dam-sire, Siberian Summer is only 1 mile.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#2 Suddenbreakingnews: He got jostled and squeezed back at the start of the G1 Arkansas Derby, but then his usual running style is to lag back early anyway. He ended up grinding out a credible second while very wide in that race, a length and a quarter behind Creator.

He’s well-seasoned, and almost always runs his races with determination, but has yet to notch a G1 or G2 win.

His sire was the solid multiple graded-stakes winner, Mineshaft, and his dam’s sire, Afleet Alex, won the Belmont Stakes at 1 ½, so the distance should be within his reach. Longshot look.

Betting Line Set @ 10/1

#7 Oscar Nominated: He did win the G3 Spiral at Turfway park on the artificial surface in last while wide, but he was off at 23/1 that day and was life-and-death to get to the wire on time against much lesser competition. All previous races were on the grass.

He’s out of very prolific sire, Kitten’s Joy, and his dam sire was top turfer and BC turf winner, Theatrical. If the race were on the grass . . . but not much liking his chances here.

Betting Line Set @ 40/1

#16 Shagaf: After winning the mile and a sixteenth G3 Gotham at Aqu, he was favored to win the G1 Wood Memorial, but ran a disappointing 5th over 9f in the mud. He was off a bit sluggishly in that race, and did grind towards the leaders as they turned for home, but looked flat in deep stretch.

Well-bred Bernardini colt looks just okay for the distance doesn’t really stand out, and may not prefer the added ¼ mile.

His style is to make one long protracted run – maybe he’ll make that good enough for a piece.

Betting Line Set @ 50/1

#10 Whitmore: He ran a good 2nd in the G2 Rebel at Fairgrounds, and then he got jostled and took up early in the G1 Arkansas Derby, but then ran on to get a good 3rd. He has already lost to four of the horses in here, and he’d need a near perfect trip to turn those tables today.

His sire, Pleasantly Perfect won the BC Classic, and the Dubai World Cup, so plenty of stamina genes on that side. However, his dam’s sire, Scat Daddy, never won at over 9 furlongs.

Mixed signals that has me back-and-forth on this Bastard.

Betting Line Set @ 15/1

#12 Tom’s Ready: He’s run behind Gunrunner in his last two, but did jump up big when getting 2nd at 30/1 in the Louisiana Derby at the Fairgrounds in last.

The average winning distance of his sire’s (More Than Ready) offspring is only 7.5 furlongs, and in fact all of his sire’s graded wins came at exactly 7 furlongs. He does have the non-Phalaris stamina genes through dam sire Broad Brush, but there are still distance concerns. He’ll be a huge price and deservedly so.

Betting Line Set @ 50/1

#6 My Man Sam: He came from 14th and last to get the runner-up prize in the G1 Bluegrass in last. Only his 4th race lifetime and first Graded Stakes try. He lost a ton of ground in that race, actually running 30 feet (about 3 ½ lengths) farther than did third place finisher Cherry Wine who he officially only beat by a head. However, the winner, Brody’s Cause, also lost a lot of ground in that race, so My Man Sam would still need to improve (but not much) to be on even terms with that one.

His sire hasn’t been in the breeding shed very long yet, so not much of a record to go by there however; his longest winning distance as a race horse was 8.5 furlongs, and his only graded win was at 6f.

This one may not be seasoned enough, may not like the distance, and may not be good enough. He’s intriguing, but he’d need everything to fall just right.

Betting Line Set @ 30/1

#18 Majesto: This one went from breaking his Maiden at 3/1 (on the 5th try) to running second behind Nyquist in the Florida Derby at 21/1! The thing is he got a dream trip along the rail in that race and ran a race that was 31 feet shorter than Nyquist’s race and still got beat by 3 lengths, so other things being equal he’d need to improve by 7 lengths to have a shot at that one in the Derby.

He has already run the 9f distance 3 times more than any other horse entered except the Japanese horse, Lani, and he is one of the very rare Derby entrants you’ll see because of not descending from the Phalaris line on either side. He’s bred in the “old-fashioned” theory.

Betting Line Set @ 50/1

#1 Trojan Nation: Not too often you’ll see a Maiden entered into the Kentucky Derby!! In the last 70 years of the Derby there have been 9 Maidens entered none have won, and the best finish was 8th. That should probably be enough for elimination right there, but in his last they entered him into the Wood Memorial where he missed winning by just a head after closing from 17 lengths back while having traffic problems.

He is bred in the purple sire Street Cry (Dubai World Cup winner at 1 ¼) and dam sire Summer Squall (Preakness winner at 1 3/16).
        Will be a huge price if you like him, but from this post and factoring in his inexperience I don’t see how you could.

Betting Line Set @ 50/1

#4 Mo Tom: Number 20 on the points totals list he has yet to win or place in a G1 or G2 race . . . However, he was forced to check sharply in both of his last two races, and really lost all chance when favored over Gunrunner in last the G2 Louisiana Derby . . . so he has room to improve off his 3rd back a win in the G3 Le Comte at the Fairgrounds.

Another Uncle Mo colt in this race speed on the sire side, and stamina on the dam side. I see him moving up significantly if he stays out of trouble.

Betting Line Set @ 12/1
        Based on my Betting Line they roll off like this....

14 Mohaymen
        13 Nyquest
        3 Creator
        2 Suddenbreakingnews
        5 Gun Runner
        4 Mo Tom
        10 Whitmore
        9 Destin
        11 Exaggerator
        15 Outwork
        19 Brody's Cause
        17 Mor Spirit
        20 Danzing Candy
        6 My Man Sam
        7 Oscar Nominated
        8 Lani
        16 Shagif
        12 Tom's Ready
        18 Majesto
        1 Trojan Nation

My Top three ranks are generally where the majority of my winners come from. Through 363 races this year those three spots account for 182 winners at 50.1% (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1251139934). Those top three are as listed above based on the BL. My Longshot chances come in the form of the 4th ranked Suddenbreakingnews and the 6th ranked Mo Tom.

As always odds will be my determining factor who to wager to win the race, but I should be able to put together some exotics together for Saturday.

May The Winners Be Yours!

Doc

Comment

Lots of good stuff in here Doc
          "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

Comment

Working...
          X