NHL Betting Info. 4/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Betting Info. 4/22

Preview: Flyers (41-27) at Capitals (56-18)

Date: April 22, 2016 7:00 PM EDT

The Washington Capitals will of course be happy heading to the Verizon Center for their next shot at advancing to the Eastern Conference semifinals. Given the cover they needed from their own projectile-happy fans, the Philadelphia Flyers might not mind the shift in venue as they try to extend the series.

Game 5 comes Friday night with the Capitals looking to crack Michal Neuvirth the way they got to Steve Mason in the first three games, and that all started with special teams.

No promotional wristbands were distributed in the Flyers' 2-1 home win Wednesday in Game 4 after being used as part of a pregame lights show for Game 3. Fans started tossing them onto the ice in the third period as Washington turned the game into a rout, eventually winning 6-1 to take a 3-0 series lead.

It's on to a second attempt at clinching, and the Capitals know a 3-1 lead is far from safe after dropping the last three games of their conference semifinal series with the New York Rangers last season.

"Every series is about getting the four. We need to get the four," coach Barry Trotz said. "The sooner you get the four, it gives you a couple opportunities to rest guys, heal guys (and get) a little mental break from the pressures of playoff hockey and a little more time to prepare."

The Capitals' special teams dictated the series through three games, going 8 of 17 on the power play before failing in two attempts Wednesday. They'd also gone 13 for 13 on the penalty kill before Shayne Gostisbehere's first-period goal gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead for a second straight game.

The 13-4 scoring advantage for the Capitals might not look so bad if the Flyers could stay out of the box. The series is at 5-3 in even-strength hockey.

"That was one of the reasons that we won the game," Neuvirth told the league's official website. "That was our goal. And we didn't take any stupid penalties. Just a great team effort for 60 minutes. That's the way we've got to play."

Another reason was Neuvirth, who made 31 saves after nine days off. He hadn't made a postseason start since 2011 with Washington, then faced the Capitals for 11 minutes of relief work with the New York Islanders last year. Overall, he's posted a 2.29 goals-against average and .918 save percentage on a 6-1-0 span, while Mason has 3.45 and .873 marks on a 1-5-1 slump.

Neuvirth, who spent five-plus seasons with the Capitals, is 2-0-0 with a 1.83 GAA and .941 save percentage in three games against his inceptive club.

Despite the win, Philadelphia is yet to really solve Braden Holtby, who has a .966 save percentage in the series. Dating to last year, he's 9-8 with a 1.55 GAA in the postseason.

Despite the lack of scoring, Philadelphia isn't dwelling on games past or those beyond Friday.

"We're not too worried about digging out a 3-0 hole right now," coach Dave Hakstol told the team's official website. "We came here (Wednesday) to win a hockey game. Now we've got to go on the road and to their building, we got to win a hockey game. It's pretty simple. We get one more and then we'll worry about the next one.

"Our team's had a real short-term memory and a real kind of mixed-up mentality all year long. I think that's part of the reason why our group has showed the resiliency that it has."

It might be that none of that matters if Alex Ovechkin gets back on the scoresheet. He has 10 goals in 10 games since last going multiple contests without scoring, and the Capitals are 35-5-2 this season when Ovechkin scores.

Re: NHL Betting Info. 4/22

Preview: Islanders (45-27) at Panthers (47-26)

Date: April 22, 2016 8:00 PM EDT

Florida remained steady no matter the pressure of a game situation during the regular season. Close games were common, but it relied more on puck possession than forceful attacks.

That's changed significantly during the playoffs, with the Panthers pressing more than any other team to get the puck on net. The New York Islanders have done enough to withstand that pressure, though, to have the series deadlocked heading into Friday night's Game 5 in Sunrise.

Florida's SAT Close rating (total of blocked and unblocked shots in one-goal or overtime situations at five-on-five) was a minus-99 in the regular season, ranking 18th in the league. It protected early leads plenty - 31 times it led after the first period, among the most in the NHL - by possessing the puck as much as possible rather than pressing to add more goals.

The Panthers have taken it to the Islanders in this tight series, though. Their SAT Close rating is a playoff-leading plus-46, and that aggressiveness paid off Wednesday as Alex Petrovic scored the lone goal of the third to give them a 2-1 victory.

"The teams are evenly matched, and it shows on the scoreboard," coach Gerard Gallant said. "I like the way the four games have gone for our club. I think we're getting a lot of scoring chances. Some of our key guys haven't put the puck in the net, but some other guys have. I think we have more to give."

The Islanders haven't deviated from their regular-season form of absorbing the attack in tight games and trying to pounce on mistakes. They ranked 20th in the league with a minus-160 SAT Close rating and are last in the postseason.

New York couldn't get one through, though, after John Tavares' power-play goal in the second tied the score. Both of its victories in this series have come by one goal - 5-4 in Game 1 despite being outshout 46-26 and 4-3 in overtime of Game 3 with the shots even.

Coach Jack Capuano's strategy has worked enough to head back to Florida tied, but he knows he needs more players to step up. The top line of Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen has combined for six of the Islanders' 11 goals.

'You are not going to win many games when you score one goal and the same guys score,' Capuano said. 'We didn't create much. We got one line creating all of our offense right now. We have to find a way like we did in Florida when we had secondary scoring and (Game 3) when we had secondary scoring. If not, it's going to be tough.'

The Panthers' job now is to shut down that line just as it has the other three. Roberto Luongo made 26 saves in Game 4 and helped kill a 5-on-3 disadvantage late in the second period to preserve the tie heading into the third.

'What we talked about was making it real tough to score goals against us,' Gallant said. 'Don't give up second chances, don't give the Tavares line second and third chances. I wanted to make sure our guys played aggressive.'

Thomas Greiss faced fewer than 30 shots on net for the first time in Game 4 and should expect another barrage from the Panthers on their home ice. Florida is trying to get a leg up while seeking its first postseason series win since 1996, while the Islanders are hoping to end a drought that extends back to 1993.

"The games are so meaningful and certainly it was tight (Wednesday)," Tavares said. "I think that's only going to develop as the series goes on. There's less room for error for both teams."

Comment

Preview: Wild (38-33) at Stars (50-23)

Date: April 22, 2016 9:30 PM EDT

The Dallas Stars bounced back from a loss behind a resurgent power play, leaving the top-seeded team in the Western Conference poised to advance to the next round of the playoffs.

Dallas can do so by winning its ninth in a row at home Friday night when it takes on the Minnesota Wild in Game 5.

Jason Spezza scored the go-ahead goal with his skate and the Stars converted on both of their power plays to defeat the Wild 3-2 on Wednesday. Fourth in the NHL in power-play percentage at 22.1 this season, Dallas had gone 1 for 13 in the first three games.

It also killed off all three Wild power plays Wednesday after Minnesota scored once each time with the man advantage in Games 2 and 3.

"We wanted to really focus on that special teams battle," forward Patrick Eaves told the team's official website. "I think going forward we've got to focus on winning that every night."

Eaves scored on a man advantage for his second goal of the series to tie it at 2 in the second period.

The Stars' strategy of rotating goaltenders also appeared to pay off in the final period. Antti Niemi, who assumed the net after Kari Lehtonen started the first three games, stopped all 14 shots in the last 20 minutes and finished with 28 saves.

'That's a luxury that we've had all year. You're starting to see the benefits of having fresh goalies all the time,' Spezza said.

Another luxury is the Stars' dominance on home ice. They posted the best home record in the West at 28-11-2 during the regular season and have given up eight goals in their last seven overall at the American Airlines Center.

Dallas allowed one goal in taking the first two meetings of this series at home.

'I liked our game. Hey, you know what? We've just got to go win a game in their building. That's the bottom line,' Wild coach John Torchetti said.

Minnesota scored five goals in its Game 3 victory but has totaled three in the other games. The Wild's Jason Pominville opened the scoring Wednesday, giving him a series-high three goals, and the club's third line of Pominville, Erik Haula and Nino Niederreiter have powered Minnesota offensively with 10 points.

That unit was shut out as Minnesota was outscored in the two games at Dallas, however.

"I'm not worried about us (at the American Airlines Center)," Torchetti told the team's website. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to seeing who is going to step up."

Someone will need to with the Stars eager to close it out in and advance beyond the first round for the first time since 2008.

"This was a big game for us," Spezza said Wednesday. "We've been good in our building. We just have to get some rest here tonight, have a travel day tomorrow and then make sure we're ready to go. We're excited to get home again."

Niemi is likely to be in net again Friday after improving to 11-4-2 with a 1.94 goals-against average against Minnesota in his career. He's gone 4-1-0 with a 1.78 GAA in his last five starts overall.

The Wild could use an offensive boost from Thomas Vanek, but the forward is still day to day with an upper-body injury and sounds unlikely to play Friday. He has eight goals and 11 assists in 18 career games against Dallas.

'I really ramped it up the last few days here, and I feel good, but again, I just need time, and there's not a whole lot of it right now. I'll just keep pushing it and see where it goes,' said Vanek, who's missed seven straight contests.

Dallas will again be without All-Star center Tyler Seguin for this game. He played Game 2 on Saturday after missing a month because of a slight cut on his left Achilles tendon, but he missed Games 3 and 4.

Comment

Preview: Sharks (46-30) at Kings (48-28)

Date: April 22, 2016 10:30 PM EDT

The San Jose Sharks have the Los Angeles Kings just where they want them - up 3-1 and headed back to Staples Center. Although an even more commanding lead didn't work out so well two seasons ago.

Nevertheless, a rare home win in the series has the Sharks a game away from advancing to the Western Conference semifinals Friday night, while the Kings need to fend off the best road team the NHL has seen in a decade to stay alive.

Wednesday's 3-2 win was the second by a home team in nine meetings this season, and both have been by San Jose. The Sharks have taken six of those games, including all four in Los Angeles after winning twice in their previous 14 visits.

San Jose has won its last five away games and is 10-1-1 over the last two months to get to 30-10-3 for the season. It's one victory from becoming the first team to top 30 road wins in 44 or fewer combined regular-season and playoff games since Detroit in 2005-06.

No team has bettered the Sharks' 28 regular-season road wins since that Red Wings team.

But San Jose won the first three games of the teams' 2014 first-round series before the Kings stormed back and went on to their second Stanley Cup title in three seasons.

That response when seemingly down and out was hinted at in Game 4 with the Kings nearly completing a comeback from three goals down. All four games have been decided by a goal.

"They don't quit," Sharks forward Logan Couture said. "We respect that about them. No matter the score, they're going to continue to push. That has something to do with their coaching staff all the way down to the last player on their team. ... They've won championships for a reason."

The Sharks changed their home fortunes by going 3 for 4 on the power play, and that's been a big part of the success over an 8-3-0 span dating to a 5-2 win over the Kings on March 28. San Jose has gone 12 of 44 (27.3 percent) with the advantage in that time and is also 6 for 21 (28.6) in Los Angeles this season.

Los Angeles was 0 for 2 on Wednesday and is 3 for 23 in a 3-5-1 span.

"That's the difference in the game, obviously," Kings forward Dwight King said. "The three goals, and they had a couple more looks. Things we talked about after, but things we've got to be better at and tighten up.

"Obviously that group's been together probably for five or six years so they're familiar with each other, but overall we just need to refocus as a PK and bear down on our clears."

One of those guys is Joe Pavelski, who scored his fourth goal of the series and has six in his last six overall. Brett Burns' goal preceded that, and both have five points in the series.

Pavelski has eight goals and seven assists in the season series, while the defenseman Burns has eight goals and six assists in his last 11 against the Kings.

That's taken its toll on Jonathan Quick, who's 1-6-0 with a 3.31 goals-against average in the season series.

Martin Jones, Quick's former backup, is having no such troubles. The first-year starter has gone 4-1-0 with a 1.58 GAA dating to the regular-season finale. He's been in goal for all nine meetings this season, winning in his former building four times with a 2.00 mark.

Comment

NHL Hockey Odds and Picks: Scouting the Week Ahead
          by Alan Matthews

In my opinion, the big winner of the first week of the Stanley Cup playoffs was the Western Conference top-seeded Dallas Stars. The big loser? The greater Los Angeles area. I didn't give the Stars a great chance of winning the West because while it's a fabulous offensive team, Dallas wasn't great on defense during the regular season. But with has happened to the two L.A. teams thus far, now I'm rethinking that.

The Stars took a 2-0 series lead against Minnesota into Monday's game in Minneapolis. Kari Lehtonen has been great in goal, although it's against a Wild team missing two of its best forwards due to injury and that's easily the worst club in the postseason. My only worry about Dallas now is the status of star forward Tyler Seguin. He missed the final 10 games of the regular season and first of these playoffs with an Achilles injury. He did play 15:40 in Game 2 but apparently tweaked that injury. NHL teams are notoriously vague about these types of things. Seguin was to miss Game 3 and all Coach Lindy Ruff would say is that what Seguin is dealing with is "not his injury, but it is kind of related."

I don't think the Stars can win the Cup without Seguin at 100 percent, so I'd just sit him the rest of the Wild series to heal up for the conference semifinals. I do think they can win the West without him because now it looks as if Dallas won't have to deal with either the Los Angeles Kings, the Western Conference betting favorites entering the playoffs, or Pacific Division champion Anaheim Ducks in the conference finals.

I'm absolutely shocked that Los Angeles entered Monday's Game 3 of their series at San Jose down 2-0. True, the Sharks led the NHL in road wins during the season and set a franchise record, but I never saw them winning both games in L.A. It was a bad week in L.A. hockey as the Ducks also dropped their first two at home against Nashville, each by the same 3-2 score. John Gibson was in net for both of those, but I think you will see Coach Bruce Boudreau go with Frederik Andersen, who has much more playoff experience, in Game 3 on Tuesday. The Ducks' big guns, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler, have been held to three total points. Perry is minus-three for the series. The Ducks are also taking too many penalties. They have now lost four straight playoff games, three at home, since leading the Blackhawks 3-2 through five games of last season's Western Conference Finals.

Anaheim is a +100 underdog for Tuesday's game in Nashville, which has a 2-0 playoff series lead for the first time in franchise history. The new odds to win the West are: Stars at +250, Blues (+450), Blackhawks (+500), Sharks (+500), Predators (+600), Ducks (+950), Kings (+1000) and the no-chance Wild at +4000.

Chicago faces a near must-win home game on Tuesday against St. Louis, with the Hawks as -155 favorites. They totally let one get away in Sunday's Game 2, leading 2-1 entering the third but falling 3-2. The Blackhawks had been 70-0-4 since the start of last season when they had the lead at the beginning of the third. The Blackhawks had trouble scoring in 5-on-5 play during the regular season, ranking in the bottom third of the NHL, and that has carried over with just one goal at even strength. The Blues finished second in 5-on-5 goals allowed this season and they have outpaced the Hawks in high-danger scoring chances during 5-on-5 play 35-19. I wouldn't bail on Chicago yet as the Hawks typically play inconsistently early in series and then flip the switch.

My original Western Conference picks to advance were Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles and Anaheim. Not looking great there at the moment.

In the Eastern Conference, Washington is now a huge -105 favorite to reach the Stanley Cup Finals. The Capitals looked to take a commanding 3-0 lead over the Flyers in Philly on Monday night. The Penguins are next at +500 to win the East, followed by the Lightning (+750), Rangers (+750), Islanders (+900), Panthers (+1100), Flyers (+3500) and Red Wings (+3500). I'm sticking with my first-round selections: Washington, the two New York teams and Detroit.

Easily the most interesting series in the East has been Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers, especially in net. Blueshirts star Henrik Lundqvist left Game 1 with an eye injury and New York lost. He was a game-time call for Game 2 on Saturday but was in net and led a 4-2 victory to even the series at one. The Penguins have played both games with third-stringer Jeff Zatkoff in net and he's expected to be in there against Tuesday with Marc-Andre Fleury and Matt Murray still recovering from injuries. It was because of Zatkoff that I liked New York in this series. The Penguins did welcome back star forward Evgeni Malkin in Game 2; he had been out since March 11 and was supposed to be out at least six weeks. Malkin played nearly 20 minutes Saturday and had an assist. The Rangers are actually +101 underdogs for Tuesday. On the series line, the Pens are -165 and Rangers +145. Blueshirts captain Ryan McDonagh hasn't played yet in the series and is doubtful for Tuesday. He did practice Monday for the first time since being hurt two weeks ago.

Comment

“Stanley Cup Playoffs”
            Friday’s NHL betting preview
            There are elimination games all over the place Friday night in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings, and Minnesota Wild all have their backs against the wall as the opening round hits the pivotal Game 5.
            Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals (A: +200, H: -240, O/U: 5)
            Capitals lead series 3-1
            The Washington Capitals look to squeeze a little more juice out of their potent power play in Game 5 on Friday as they attempt to advance to the second round with a victory over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. Washington was a blistering 8-for-17 with the man advantage en route to winning the first three contests before failing on both opportunities as Philadelphia staved off elimination with Wednesday’s 2-1 triumph.
            “That was one of the reasons that we won the game,” Flyers goaltender and former Capital Michal Neuvirth told NHL.com after making 31 saves in his first action of the series. “That was our goal. And we didn’t take any stupid penalties. Just a great team effort for 60 minutes. That’s the way we’ve got to play.” Rookie Shayne Gostisbehere ended Philadelphia’s 0-for-13 stretch on the power play and fellow defenseman Andrew MacDonald also scored versus Braden Holtby, who has yielded only four tallies on 118 shots for a .966 save percentage and 1.00 goals-against average. “Even with the loss, I think we still have a little momentum coming into the next game,” said forward T.J. Oshie, who scored for the first time in the series on Wednesday and extended his playoff point streak to a career-high three games (one goal, three assists).
            TV: 7 p.m. ET, NBCSN, CBC, TVAS, CSN Philadelphia, CSN-DC (Washington)
            ABOUT THE FLYERS (42-30-14, 47-39 ATS, 33-32 O/U):
            After spending the bulk of the season preaching about the bigger picture, coach Dave Hakstol has narrowed the scope quite a bit with Philadelphia having zero margin for error. “We came here (Wednesday) to win a hockey game,” Hakstol told reporters. “Now we’ve got to go on the road and to their building, we got to win a hockey game. It’s pretty simple. We get one more and then we’ll worry about the next one.” Forward Wayne Simmonds and captain Claude Giroux have the opportunity to “worry about the next one” after the former notched two assists and the latter set up a tally on Wednesday for their first points of the series.

ABOUT THE CAPITALS (59-19-8, 40-46 ATS, 34-35 O/U):
            Rugged Tom Wilson told the Washington Post that he expects to be in the lineup for Game 5 after being left a bit glassy-eyed in the late stages of Wednesday’s contest following a solid hit from Philadelphia defenseman Brandon Manning. “It was a hard hit,” Wilson told the newspaper on Thursday. “I feel good today, the usual. Nowadays, you’ve got to be extra careful, so (head athletic trainer Greg Smith) just said, ‘Go back, and get checked out.’ But I feel good and should be good to go.” The status of Brooks Orpik (upper body) is unclear as coach Barry Trotz admitted that he doesn’t know if the defenseman will participate in the morning skate prior to Game 5.

TRENDS:
            * Flyers are 12-3 in their last 15 games playing on 1 days rest.
            * Capitals are 4-1 in their last 5 Conference Quarterfinals games.
            * Under is 4-1-2 in Flyers last 7 games playing on 1 days rest.
            * Under is 4-1-1 in Capitals last 6 Conference Quarterfinals games.
            * Home team is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings.

Comment

New York Islanders at Florida Panthers (A: +140, H: -160, O/U: 5)
              Series tied 2-2
              After failing to push the Florida Panthers to the brink of elimination, the New York Islanders could find themselves in that very same predicament if they are unable to solve their Game 5 woes. The Islanders look to snap an 11-game skid in the fifth contest of a playoff series on Friday when the first-round set returns to the Sunshine State.
              Captain John Tavares scored a power-play goal on Wednesday for his career-high seventh point of the series, but New York mustered little else against Roberto Luongo and dropped a 2-1 decision to deadlock the series at two victories apiece. “You are not going to win many games when you score one goal and the same guys score,” coach Jack Capuano said of the first line (Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen), which has accounted for six of the team’s 11 goals. “We didn’t create much. We got one line creating all of our offense right now.” Reilly Smith carried Florida in the first three contests with four goals and as many assists before being held off the scoresheet in Game 4.
              TV: 8 p.m. ET, CNBC, SN, TVAS2, MSG-Plus (New York), SUN (Florida)
              ABOUT THE ISLANDERS (47-29-10, 36-50 ATS, 36-42 O/U):
              Ryan Pulock did not travel with the team to Florida, with Capuano telling Newsday that the rookie defenseman is likely out for the remainder of the series with an undisclosed injury. “It’s a big loss. He’s a young guy who was playing real well, he had a couple points, a big goal (in Game 3),” Capuano said on Thursday. “It’s a little more adversity we’ll have to battle back from.” Fellow rookie Adam Pelech or veterans Marek Zidlicky or Brian Strait are candidates to replace Pulock, who was involved in a collision with Panthers forward Garrett Wilson with 7:40 remaining in the third period.

ABOUT THE PANTHERS (49-27-10, 43-43 ATS, 35-33 O/U):
              Veteran Jaromir Jagr wasn’t too interested in becoming the fifth player in NHL history to reach the 200-point plateau in the playoffs. “To be honest with you: Do you remember who scored goals 10 years ago? I don’t,” the 44-year-old Jagr told reporters after he notched his first point of the series with an assist on Teddy Purcell’s goal Wednesday. “It’s everything about the Cup. Who cares who scored?” If you’re keeping score, Jagr has just one goal in his last 37 playoffs games – albeit with 18 assists.

TRENDS:
              * Islanders are 5-0 in their last 5 after scoring 2 goals or less in their previous game.
              * Panthers are 5-1 in their last 6 Friday games.
              * Over is 5-0 in Islanders last 5 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
              * Over is 7-0-1 in Panthers last 8 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
              * Over is 14-4-4 in the last 22 meetings.

Comment

Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars (A: +170, H: -200, O/U: 5)
                Stars lead series 3-1
                The Dallas Stars are in command of their Western Conference first-round series and can close out the visiting Minnesota Wild on Friday night when the teams square off in Game 5. The top-seeded Stars earned a split on the road with a hard-fought 3-2 victory in Game 4 to push the Wild to the brink of elimination.
                Dallas won the first two games at American Airlines Center and is buoyed by the prospect of a series-clinching victory in front of the home fans. “It’s going to be exciting for us as players to play in front of them,” Stars captain Jamie Benn said. “I’m sure it’s going to be exciting for them, and hopefully we can close it out.” Minnesota has shown the ability to play with Dallas since a 4-0 drubbing in the series opener, dropping a pair of one-goal decisions sandwiched around a 5-3 victory in Game 3. “Hey, I like the way we’re playing,” Wild coach John Torchetti said. “We just have to find a way to get back home. That’s the bottom line.”
                TV: 9:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, Sportsnet 360, TVAS, FSN North/FSN Wisconsin (Minnesota), FSN Southwest (Dallas)
                ABOUT THE WILD (39-36-11, 42-44 ATS, 30-37 O/U):
                Minnesota was among the league’s worst penalty-killing units during the regular season, but has limited Dallas’ No. 4-ranked power play to one goal in 13 chances through three games before the Stars converted on both opportunities in Game 4. “They feed a lot off their power play, and tonight was a good example of it,” Wild forward Jason Pominville said. “When you lose the special-teams battle, you’re usually not going to win the game. That’s what happened.” Pominville has scored three times in the past two games after going 13 contests without a tally.

ABOUT THE STARS (53-24-9, 42-44 ATS, 46-38 O/U):
                Dallas coach Lindy Ruff opted to go with Antti Niemi after Kari Lehtonen started the first three games and the veteran netminder, who backstopped Chicago to a Stanley Cup title in 2010, came through with 28 saves. “That’s a luxury that we’ve had all year,” said Stars forward Jason Spezza, who scored the game-winning goal after assisting on the tying tally in Game 4. “You’re starting to see the benefits of having fresh goalies all the time.” Defenseman Kris Russell had a pair of assists after sitting out Game 3 due to illness.

TRENDS:
                * Wild are 1-8 in their last 9 overall.
                * Stars are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. Central.
                * Under is 3-0-2 in Wild last 5 Friday games.
                * Under is 6-1 in Stars last 7 games following a win.
                * Wild are 4-23 in the last 27 meetings in Dallas.

Comment

San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (A: +115, H: -135, O/U: 5)
                  Sharks lead series 3-1
                  The San Jose Sharks look to continue their season-long success on the road and finish off the Los Angeles Kings when the Pacific Division rivals meet at Staples Center on Friday for Game 5 of their first-round series, which has featured nothing but one-goal decisions. San Jose posted a league-best 28-10-3 record away from home during the regular season, setting a franchise record for road wins, and carried its impressive play into the playoffs by posting a pair of victories in Los Angeles to take a 2-0 series lead.
                  After being kept off the scoresheet in a Game 3 overtime loss, Sharks captain Joe Pavelski tallied on Wednesday, giving him four goals and an assist in the matchup after he recorded 10 points (four tallies) in the five-game regular-season series. Los Angeles fell behind 3-0 in Game 4 and came up short in its comeback attempt but now is on the verge of elimination – a situation it faced in its last postseason meeting with San Jose in 2014. The Kings need to tighten up on the penalty kill in Game 5, as they surrendered three power-play goals on Wednesday after being a perfect 5-for-5 in the previous contest. “Our penalty kill wasn’t near good enough tonight, and special teams were obviously the huge difference,” Los Angeles defenseman Luke Schenn told reporters. “They got three power-play goals, and we obviously didn’t get any. Special teams needs to improve, for sure, if we’re going to climb back into it.”
                  TV: 10:30 p.m. ET, CNBC, CBC, TVA, CSN California (San Jose), Prime Ticket (Los Angeles)
                  ABOUT THE SHARKS (49-30-7, 40-46 ATS, 43-35 O/U):
                  Joe Thornton notched an assist Wednesday for his 103rd career postseason point, tying him with Gilbert Perreault and John Bucyk for 84th place on the all-time list. The 33-year-old center also pulled even with Jacques Lemaire for 40th in NHL playoff history at 78 assists. San Jose will be motivated to end the series on Friday, as it will be the 19th consecutive postseason game in which Los Angeles is its opponent.

ABOUT THE KINGS (49-31-6, 30-56 ATS, 29-34 O/U):
                  Schenn was a catalyst in Los Angeles’ comeback attempt on Wednesday, assisting on Trevor Lewis’ goal before scoring one of his own for his first career two-point performance in the playoffs. Marian Gaborik received the lowest amount of ice time (13 minutes, 48 seconds) in the three games since returning from his knee injury on Wednesday but helped set up Schenn’s goal for his first point of the postseason. The Kings have won two of the 13 postseason series in which they’ve trailed 3-1 – rallying past the Sharks in 2014 after overcoming the deficit in 1989 against Edmonton.

TRENDS:
                  * Sharks are 12-3 in their last 15 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  * Kings are 1-4 in their last 5 vs. Western Conference.
                  * Under is 8-1-1 in Sharks last 10 road games.
                  * Under is 4-1-1 in Kings last 6 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  * Sharks are 4-0 in the last 4 meetings in Los Angeles.

Comment

NY Islanders-Florida (2-2)
                    Islanders are now 3-6 in last nine games with Florida, losing three of last four visits here. Over is 6-2-1 in their last nine games overall, 2-2 in this series. Panthers won seven of last ten games (over 6-4-1 in last 11)- they won four of last five home games, Islanders won three of last four on foreign ice. So far in series, NY is 4-13 on power play, Florida 2-11; Panthers scored at 9:25 of third period in Game 4 and hung on to tie series. Islanders haven’t scored first period goal in last three games.

Philadelphia-Washington (W 3-1)
                    Flyers have been outscored 13-4 in losing three of first four series games; they were outshot 13-4 in third period of Game 4 by Caps, but hung on to force Game 5 here- Flyers killed off both Washington power plays, after Caps scored five power play goals in total of 18:14 with man advantage in previous game. Philly is 1-15 on power play in series, Home side won five of last six series games- Flyers lost last three visits here, outscored 9-3. Under is 7-3-2 in the last dozen series games, 3-1-2 in last six played here.

Minnesota-Dallas (D 3-1)
                    Minnesota lost seven of last nine games against Dallas- Wild lost three of last four visits to Metroplex. Minnesota also lost eight of last nine games overall, outscored 28-14- under is 5-2-4 in their last eleven games. Dallas won nine of last 11 games; under is 6-2-1 in their last nine. Stars were outshot 55-39 in two games at Minnesota- they were outshot 14-2 in third period of Game 4, holding on to its 3-2 lead. . Dallas is 3-14 on power play- they were 2-2 in Game 4 (Minnesota is 2-12).

San Jose-Los Angeles (SJ 3-1)
                    Road team won three of first four series games. San Jose is 8-6 in last 14 series games; road team went 9-5 in those games- Sharks won their last four visits here. Over is 4-2-3 in last nine tilts in series. San Jose won eight of last 11 games; under is 5-2-1 in their last eight. Kings are 5-9 in last 14 games. Sharks are 5-18 on power play in series after going 3-4 in Game 4, Kings are 3-13. In last three games, LA has total of only one goal in periods 1-2- they scored twice in 3:05 span of third period last game, but San Jose held on for last 13:46 to take 3-1 series lead.

Playoffs tally: Home: 16-18, Over: 10-11-13

Comment

Working...
                    X