The Lounge June 21 - June 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lounge June 21 - June 28

My favorite Beatles song by a 9 year old Ukranian girl that doesn't even speak english, love this one

Oh Darling - The Beatles (Cover) by; Anastasia Petrik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeJdVV8yys

Re: The Lounge June 21 - June 28

With the summer solstice here today we have over 18 hours of daylight, conversley on Dec 21 we have only 6. Did some work at a uranium mine up north a way back in the early 80's where we had 24 hrs daylight, the sun set and rose almost simultaneously, freaky shit lol

Comment

hey thomas

I know that you're in regina and have always been curious as to how far north can you drive in canada ? have seen the furthest point south in south america on google maps and i've seen the furthest place north where people live is in alert which I believe without looking is in the nuniavit province..weather,research or some gov't activities happening there ?
      ( ) in football and baskets is avg ats or ou margin..baseball it's avg odds and run differential for sides and totals..winners and late scratches usually not recognized in the horse thread but on occasion will mention.. always double check race and horse # if you play .. I do lose a lot more races than I win.. playing in advance, late odds moves and high takeout very hard to overcome .. derby future opinion post 3713 on page 149 (horse plays)

Comment

just had this nutty idea to google it.. amazed I never thought to do that

tuktoyaktuk take the dempster highway as far as it goes and that's right on the artic ocean.. saw from where you are about 2500 miles.. that's something you better not try in the winter without a 4WD.. or maybe even with one lol
        ( ) in football and baskets is avg ats or ou margin..baseball it's avg odds and run differential for sides and totals..winners and late scratches usually not recognized in the horse thread but on occasion will mention.. always double check race and horse # if you play .. I do lose a lot more races than I win.. playing in advance, late odds moves and high takeout very hard to overcome .. derby future opinion post 3713 on page 149 (horse plays)

Comment

Never had any desire to drive north bleeker, I've been to Key lake where I worked for a couple turn arounds but we flew there. My wife has been to Uranium city where her brother worked just before it shut down in around 81, he was on the decommissioning crew and he drove the winter road back, so long fucking trip that was. My cousin was in the military and spent 3 or 6 months in Alert and I just read this Alert, Nunavut, Canada on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island is the northernmost inhabited community on earth, wow. I also knew a broad that moved to tuktoyaktuk and worked there for two years as a cook to get over a divorce, lol. I did some long trips like LA to Regina when I took my kids to Disneyland and I drove a car back from Toronto once, both about 1800 miles. But as far as north goes I've only been as far as Lac La Ronge in my province, it's just a 6 hour drive from here and been there a bunch of times. Worked in Thompson Manitoba one summer when I was 16, that was about a 12 hour trip. It's beautiful up north here, lots of lakes and trees, lol. Once your done with the scenery there aint much to do though except fish, me I'm a city boy that's the only place I want to be. I do like to go to Banff at least once a year, spectacular mountains and there's nothing like a round of golf in the Rockies. Couple great resort towns there with people galore and all the amenities. That's my idea of ruffing it, a 300 buck hotel room and 50 bars and restaurants within walking distance, LOL
          Last edited by Thomas; 06-23-2020, 01:50 AM.

Comment

cool stuff thomas especially your cousin who spent some time in Alert.. always marvel when I look at that place on the map and that people could be up that far north, military withstanding..have to look up the other places you mentioned in the northern part of canada

just the idea of driving up to tuktoyaktuk I find fascinating.. just the adventure aspect.. looks like you might be going through some real wilderness and better check the weather if you're going in the winter lol.. when I looked at it on maps was wondering are there really business's in some of these places (along the way).. how about getting gas lol ?? obviously I'm wrong but really gives the impression that there might be long stretches of nothing along the way

banff sounds nice
            Last edited by bleeker; 06-23-2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Been to Nuelton Lake and Cashmere Lake in Manitoba on a fishing trip, what a place. We had a snowball fight on one of the islands on July 4th. Season is not very long there. Ice goes off in the middle of June and back in September. Just a beautiful place to visit but don't want to live there. Just something to add to the discussion, hope you don;t mind.

Comment

We flew from Winnipeg to Thompson and refueled the plane and had to take enough fuel for the plane to get back to Thompson. DC-9 half was for gear and supplies and the other half was for the 10 guests that were going to fish for 4 days. We landed on a sandy runway at Nuelton Lake and on the outhouse there it said Welcome to Nuelton International Airport. Was quite funny. Then we took a puddle jumper plane to Cashmere Lake about 45 minutes north. We sat across from one in other and we had to put one leg in then the guy across from you had a leg. We were only about 1 foot from each other, face to face. Had a great time. Daylight was almost 24 hours we would go fishing at 2 o'clock in the morning and it was like dusk here in Wisconsin, then the sun would start to rise again

Comment

Yeah Dave that sounds like quite the trip, I couldn't even find Cashmere on a map, lol. I seen where that nuelton lake is on the border with Nunavit, yikes. As I was browsing around the northern maps tonight I found an obit for Ron Mackay from La Ronge, he was my best friends father in law and owned a motel and a fly in fishing outfit called Reds Camps, he died of covid in April, sad. Back when I used to go there in the late 70's and early 80's Red and his family were great friends with Johnny Cash who was a regular there for many many years and my pal was good friends with him from those trips. I never got the chance to meet him but everyone spoke so highly of him, and he did a lot of good things up there for the people of La Ronge. Apparently he was just a regular guy and him and June were fast friends with Red and his family.

Red built his retirement dream home on a big island on Lac La Ronge Dave, it was something to behold. It was a 2500 square foot bungalow and all the outside walls were built from logs harvested from the area and took over 10 years to build, they had to haul everything in there after the lake froze every year. Man it was just so beautiful, They had a huge stone fireplace built in a stone wall that separated the kitchen dining room from the living room and open on both sides, you could put 4' logs in this thing that's how big it was. It was just a beautiful place with all the amenities in the middle of nowhere on that huge lake. Took him over 10 years to build but man what a shack, even had two generators about 250' away from the house for power, it was a dream home for sure about 40 minutes out from La Ronge on the lake by boat.

After my buddy and his wife split he hooked up with a rich little girl who's family owned the golf course and a houseboat rental outfit and I switched to staying on the houseboats from Reds motel which had the most comfortable beds in the world, lol. Sorry got babbling a bit there but memories came flooding back when I was looking around that northern scene for those lakes you talked about
                  Last edited by Thomas; 06-23-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

bleeker there's a lot of "wilderness" up here buddy, lol. If you drive 4 hous north of Regina, which is only a hundred miles from the the US border you are in the wilderness, there is a beautiful National park called Waskesui about an hour south of La Ronge so about 5 hours from here. Took a family vacation there when I was kid, it was so cool to be there because I had no idea what the north was at that point. It has two gorgeous golf courses as well but after that wilderness, birch trees everywhere that you'd never want to walk into at any point because you'd never find your way out.

Comment

Looks like our old forum is gone boys, thank god for this place, hope some of our old friends find us because the NFL is where we had the traffic and I'm not sure if everybody seen we were moving. Sad. Thanks again to JD and customcappers welcoming us in here.

Here's what happens when you click through, doesn't look good

Comment

Fk I'll meet u in banff canuck. Got my eye on the Whistler to banff train ride with my new 45 yr old cookie. I'm 52 and was fixed 3 kids and 15 or 20 years ago....

HOWEVER, new cookie just informed me I knocked her up last month so new papa duty may sideline th ad t trip.

How about them apples? Old.guy still got lead in his sled.

Wtf

Comment

You might want to consider a dna test after all that info vern, lol. BS aside, Congrats ! If you end up going just let me know when and I'll meet you for beers and whiskey and some prime Alberta beef

Comment

Already there eh!

Show me state

Comment

Will advise when I get up there. Late summer

Comment

Working...
                              X