Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Off Season News, Rumors, Trades and Discussion

ffb44 NFL Off Season News, Rumors, Trades and Discussion

Chiefs acquired CB Kendall Fuller and a 2018 third-round pick from the Redskins in exchange for QB Alex Smith.

Re: NFL Off Season News, Rumors, Trades and Discussion

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns also attempted to trade for Alex Smith before he was dealt to the Redskins.
    Redskins signed QB Alex Smith to a four-year, $94 million extension through 2022.
    After the Redskins' acquisition of Alex Smith on Tuesday night, free agent Kirk Cousins is fully expected to hit the open market when the new league year opens March 14.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns also attempted to trade for Alex Smith before he was dealt to the Redskins.
    Redskins signed QB Alex Smith to a four-year, $94 million extension through 2022.
    After the Redskins' acquisition of Alex Smith on Tuesday night, free agent Kirk Cousins is fully expected to hit the open market when the new league year opens March 14.
    As a Cowboys fan, I love it!! Redskins get a consistent playoff choker at the very end of his career for top QB money. I guarantee you, Scot McCloughan would've NEVER made this deal. Thank God the Redskins fired his ass and they can get back to what they've always been best at - Overpaying for old free agents!

I bet Cousins is already here in Denver getting wined & dined by Elway. Locals are convinced it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    As a Cowboys fan, I love it!! Redskins get a consistent playoff choker at the very end of his career for top QB money. I guarantee you, Scot McCloughan would've NEVER made this deal. Thank God the Redskins fired his ass and they can get back to what they've always been best at - Overpaying for old free agents!

I bet Cousins is already here in Denver getting wined & dined by Elway. Locals are convinced it's a done deal.
    I would think he wants to sign with a team ready to win. You would think Denver would be at the top of his list

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
    I would think he wants to sign with a team ready to win. You would think Denver would be at the top of his list
    With Arizona as a darkhorse?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    With Arizona as a darkhorse?
    I agree brother. Teams close to the cap 1 or 2 years down the road with talent have to look at him

Cleveland Browns GM Jon Dorsey officially hired former GM of multiple teams, Scot McCloughan, as a consultant for talent evaluation. This is a big-time move for Cleveland IMO, as I honestly think this guy is the best of the best. Just because a guy likes to have a drink everyday doesn't mean he can't spot superior talent. Chris Mortensen just reported that the word on the street is that McCloughan has told Dorsey to pass on Mayfield. I'd love to see the Browns get back to winning and this hire should help them do so.

Mayfield would be a good grab for a team like the Giants. Can sit for a year behind Eli

Paul Allen of KFAN Minneapolis reports the Vikings are "number one with a bullet" on Kirk Cousins' wish list.

THATS WHAT I WANT TO HERE. GO VIKINGS

49ers signed QB Jimmy Garoppolo to a five-year, $137.5 million contract.

According to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post, ESPN is targeting Peyton Manning to replace Jon Gruden on Monday Night Football.

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson says it "would not be remotely surprising" if the Dolphins showed interest in C.J. Anderson should he be released by the Broncos.

Bucs released Doug Martin.

This move, which saves Tampa Bay $6.75 million against the cap, was fully expected following two seasons marred by injury, suspension, and ineffectiveness. Martin was an All-Pro as recently as 2015, however, and just turned 29 in January. He would be a good get for running-back needy teams on a one-year, incentive-laden deal.

Panthers released RB Jonathan Stewart.

Seahawks released CB Richard Sherman.

ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini confirms the Dolphins are "discussing" releasing Ndamukong Suh.

Following Thursday's release of DeMarco Murray, third-year pro Derrick Henry is now locked in as the Titans' lead back.

Browns acquired QB Tyrod Taylor from the Bills in exchange for the No. 65 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
    Packers acquired QB DeShone Kizer from the Browns in exchange for CB Damarious Randall.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jarvis Landry might still play under the terms of the franchise tag with the Browns.
    The two sides did not work out a long-term deal before the trade went down, and RapSheet reports Landry could play out the one-year tender to get a feel for how he fits in Cleveland before signing a long-term deal. It also makes sense for Landry to wait if the Browns are not willing to guarantee him the value of the tag this year ($15.98 million) and a large chunk of what it would cost to tag him next season ($19.18 million)

Chiefs signed Sammy Watkins, formerly of the Rams, to a three-year, $48 million contract.
    Bears signed WR Allen Robinson, formerly of the Jaguars, to a three-year, $42 million contract.
    Broncos signed QB Case Keenum, formerly of the Vikings.
    NBC Boston reports the Lions are "quite interested" in free agent CB Malcolm Butler.

Vikings signed Kirk Cousins, formerly of the Redskins, to a three-year contract.

Packers release Jordy Nelson and signed TE Jimmy Graham. Lots of negative reaction by locals, paying Nelson a premium contract with his injury history+advancing age makes no sense. It also says a lot about how they feel about Devante Adams. No QB in the NFL is better at using TE's than Aaron Rodgers, I would expect him to revert back to similar numbers he posted with Drew Brees. Packers have tons of young WR that look good, not in the least shocked by the Nelson move. It was obvious to me that Jordy's recent drop in production is related to him just not getting as open as he used to. That is likely due to some lost athleticism from his oft injured legs or just age creeping in, probably a little of both. Whatever the case, casual fans have an emotional attachment to him, he is a very popular Packer. What most don't understand though is the business side of staying relevant year to year in sports means you must not sign high priced contracts with older guys that will look bad in the near future. JD can certainly relate to that concept as the Tigers signed a long term deal with Miguel Cabrera that looks absolutely awful right now, though at the time it made fans happy.
    "The sheer unpredictability of sports is what makes it predictable." Who the hell bets units? I bet money...

NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reports free agent Frank Gore will visit the Lions this week.
    The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the Raiders are expected to release Michael Crabtree if they sign free agent Jordy Nelson.
    Titans agreed to terms with RB Dion Lewis, formerly of the Patriots, on a four-year contract.
    Cardinals agreed to terms with QB Mike Glennon, formerly of the Bears.
    Jets agreed to terms with QB Teddy Bridgewater, formerly of the Vikings, on a one-year contract.
    Jets agreed to terms with RB Isaiah Crowell, formerly of the Browns, on a three-year contract.
    Titans agreed to terms with CB Malcolm Butler, formerly of the Patriots, on a five-year, $61 million contract.
    Giants agreed to terms with RB Jonathan Stewart, formerly of the Panthers.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperjack View Post
    Packers release Jordy Nelson and signed TE Jimmy Graham. Lots of negative reaction by locals, paying Nelson a premium contract with his injury history+advancing age makes no sense. It also says a lot about how they feel about Devante Adams. No QB in the NFL is better at using TE's than Aaron Rodgers, I would expect him to revert back to similar numbers he posted with Drew Brees. Packers have tons of young WR that look good, not in the least shocked by the Nelson move. It was obvious to me that Jordy's recent drop in production is related to him just not getting as open as he used to. That is likely due to some lost athleticism from his oft injured legs or just age creeping in, probably a little of both. Whatever the case, casual fans have an emotional attachment to him, he is a very popular Packer. What most don't understand though is the business side of staying relevant year to year in sports means you must not sign high priced contracts with older guys that will look bad in the near future. JD can certainly relate to that concept as the Tigers signed a long term deal with Miguel Cabrera that looks absolutely awful right now, though at the time it made fans happy.
    I agree with every word of this. The Cabrera contract is going to slow down the Tigers rebuild quite a bit. Can't pay players for what they use to do.

Browns agreed to terms with RB Carlos Hyde, formerly of the 49ers, on a three-year, $15 million contract.