• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Betting Info. 7/30

Preview: Reds (41-61) at Padres (44-59)

Game: 2
    Venue: PETCO Park
    Date: July 30, 2016 8:40 PM EDT

SAN DIEGO -- Brandon Finnegan and two Cincinnati Reds relievers Friday night ruined what could have been an epic showdown Saturday night at Petco Park.

Or, they beat Anthony DeSclafini to the punch.

Finnegan, Michael Lorenzen and Blake Wood shut out the Padres on six hits Friday night at Petco Park -- meaning the Padres didn't get a home run , ending San Diego's National League record-tying streak of games with at least one homer at 25 straight.

The effort of the Reds' trio ruined a showdown rematch between the Padres hitters and another right-handed Reds' starter -- DeSclafini.

Back on June 26, DeSclafini and left-handed reliever Tony Cingrani combined to shut out the Padres on five hits. In their very next game, the Padres launched their streak of homering in 25 straight games.

The win over the Padres was the second in the DeSclafini's run of six straight wins.

DeSclafini will be making his 10th start of the season Saturday night. He is the first Cincinnati pitcher to produce at least six wins without a loss over his first nine starts since Paul Wilson went 6-0 in his first nine starts in 2004.

DeSclafini has a 3.09 earned run average since starting his 2016 season 10 weeks late due to a strained left oblique muscle suffered in his last spring training start.

"Anthony is just hitting his stride," Reds manager Bryan Price said of the 26-year-old, who was 9-for-13 with a 4.05 ERA in 31 starts for the Reds last season.

DeSclafini will be matched against Padres left-hander Christian Friedrich Saturday night, who overnight became the dean of the Padres rotation when right-handed starters Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea were both traded to Miami Thursday morning in a seven-player trade.

Saturday will be Friedrich's 14th start, which is the most among the Padres current rotation of -- from top to bottom -- Luis Perdomo, Friedrich, Edwin Jackson (who gave up six runs to the Reds on Friday night on 10 hits in five innings), Paul Clemens and Jarred Cosart, who was one of four players acquired by the Padres from the Marlins.

Clemens replaces Rea in the Padres rotation Sunday in the series finale against the Reds. Cosart moves into the rotation Monday when the Brewers come to Petco Park.

The 28-year-old Friedrich has a 5.00 ERA and his performance has been slipping.

His most recent start last Sunday in Washington was his shortest of the season, lasting only three innings during which he allowed five runs on six hits and a walk with no strikeouts.

"Christian is fine when he hits his spots," said Padres manager Andy Green. "But he has to hit his spots to be in command."

Friedrich is 0-4 over his last five starts with a 7.72 ERA. He is 1-5 over his last seven starts with a 7.86 ERA.

His ERA has climbed in each of his last seven starts, ballooning from 2.12 to 5.00. Still, the Padres are 6-7 in his 13 starts.

"One of the things you like about Friedrich is that he is competitive," said Green. "He's going to give you everything he has. With a few exceptions, he's given us a chance to win. For the most part, he's been in close games."

But Friedrich's margin of error might be reduced if DeSclafini duplicates his first career start against the Padres on June 26.

Comment

Preview: Red Sox (56-45) at Angels (46-57)

Game: 3
      Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
      Date: July 30, 2016 9:05 PM EDT

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Having pitched for the American League West rival Oakland A's, Drew Pomeranz is no stranger to the Los Angeles Angels.

But the Pomeranz the Angels will face on Saturday will be a different Pomeranz than they're used to. And it isn't because Pomeranz now pitches for the Boston Red Sox.

Pomeranz, who was traded from Oakland to San Diego during the offseason, developed a much-needed third pitch that propelled him into the Padres' starting rotation and eventually to the National League All-Star team before he was traded to Boston on July 14.

He was 8-7 with a 2.47 ERA in 17 starts for the Padres, and a significant part of his success can be attributed to the cutter he learned just before the start of spring training.

While learning a new pitch is not all that unusual, what was unusual was who Pomeranz learned that pitch from.

Pomeranz was working out a couple weeks before spring training, playing catch with minor league catcher Travis Higgs, when Pomeranz noticed how Higgs' ball would move.

"I noticed his ball would cut, so I asked him about it," Pomeranz told The Huffington Post. "He showed me how to throw it. At first, maybe one out of 10 (of his pitches) would cut. I kept doing it every day, and guys were missing it. No one was squaring it up, so I was like, 'I guess this thing works.'"

It has been a good pitch to complement his exceptional curveball and a 92-mph fastball.

Pomeranz, though, is 0-1 with a 7.00 ERA in two starts for Boston, and will go up against one of the hottest pitchers in baseball. Angels starter Hector Santiago hasn't lost a decision since June 10, winning six consecutive decisions and five straight starts.

He is 5-0 with a 1.48 ERA in July, and is 9-4 with a 4.28 ERA overall in 21 starts. And he is doing it despite rumors he could be traded before the non-waiver trading deadline Aug. 1.

"Honestly, I have no control over that," Santiago told the Orange County Register. "I can't come in and tell them to trade me or not trade me. I just try to come in and have fun and be happy every day. If this is my last game here I just enjoy it and have fun with the guys and see what happens from there."

Santiago is 2-3 with a 2.97 ERA in seven career games (six starts) against Boston. His last start against the Red Sox came July 2 at Fenway, and Santiago earned the win after giving up just one unearned run and four hits in six innings.

Santiago has had success against most of the Red Sox's top hitters, holding David Ortiz to a .214 average and Mookie Betts to .222. However, Xander Bogaerts has had Santiago's number, hitting .556 (5 for 9) against him.

Comment

Preview: Diamondbacks (42-61) at Dodgers (58-45)

Game: 2
        Venue: Dodger Stadium
        Date: July 30, 2016 9:10 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- While the Los Angeles Dodgers chase down the San Francisco Giants for the top spot in the National League West, the Arizona Diamondbacks are sinking farther into the cellar.

The Diamondbacks had to stomach another stinker Friday night at Dodger Stadium. Joc Pederson and Chase Utley homered to spark a five-run rally in the seventh inning and the Dodgers defeated the Diamondbacks 9-7 in a back-and-forth affair Friday night before 50,966.

"I don't think we were playing that way a month ago," said Pederson, who was 2-for-4 with a career-tying four RBIs. "We're coming up with a lot more clutch hits and we have a special thing going to get us through games late."

Yasmani Grandal's run-scoring single in the seventh was the difference as the Dodgers (58-45) came back from a four-run deficit to prevail. The win pushed Los Angeles (58-45) within a game of the National League West-leading Giants, who lost to the Washington Nationals.

"Every win's a big one but that was arguably the best of the year," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. "We're resilient."

Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks (42-61) dropped 17 games back in the division and two behind the fourth-place San Diego Padres.

"It's unfortunate we didn't get the win (Friday) but we just got to come back and keep battling and hopefully we can scratch a couple (of win)," Arizona right-hander Zack Godley, who started the game but didn't factor into the decision.

Arizona will try to bounce back Saturday.

The Diamondbacks will start Braden Shipley (0-1, 10.13 ERA) against Los Angeles lefty Scott Kazmir (9-3, 4.35 ERA). The Milwaukee Brewers tagged Shipley for six runs on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings in his major league debut and a 7-2 romp on July 25.

In his last outing, Kazmir won his seventh straight decision in a in a 9-6 Dodgers' decision over the St. Louis Cardinals on July 24. Kazmir allowed three runs on six hits in five innings. He struck out three and walked none.

Kazmir hasn't faced the Diamondbacks since June 22, 2007 when he was with the Tampa Bay Rays. In that contest, Kazmir struck out eight, walked two and limited Arizona to a run on three hits in 7 2/3 innings and claimed the win in the Rays' 4-1 victory.

Arizona's Zac Curtis (0-1) allowed two runs and didn't retire a batter in Friday's debacle but he attempted to put a brave face on the rest of the series.

"It's just letting it go and move on," said Curtis, who suffered the loss in Friday's meltdown despite throwing only three pitches. "We're just going to come out (Saturday) and fight. I know it's hard right now because it's a tough loss after coming out and scoring like that but we'll get past it."

Added Diamondbacks catcher Wellington Castillo, who went 2-for-4 with an RBI on Friday night, "We fight. We hit them, they hit us and they got the win," Castillo said. "We kept competing."

Comment

Five to Follow MLB Betting: Saturday, July 30, 2016, Opening Line Report
          by Alan Matthews

I suppose it's possible that the MLB futures odds could look vastly different by the time I write my next "Five to Follow" story for Tuesday's games, but I rather doubt it. The Cubs will be World Series favorites regardless, but a team like the Red Sox, Rangers, Nationals or Dodgers could make a big climb if they somehow landed ace Chris Sale from the White Sox. More likely, we see middling names traded by the Aug. 1 deadline. Guys like San Diego pitchers Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea, who were sent to the Marlins on Thursday night. Or Twins shortstop Eduardo Nunez, who was shipped to San Francisco (Nunez will surely play third with the Giants). Or a few guys listed below. In other words, nothing earth-shattering. I do believe we will see some big-name pitchers moved this offseason, however, because the free-agent class is terrible.

Orioles at Blue Jays (-168, 9.5)

It's the first game of the day with a 1:07 p.m. ET first pitch and should have live betting as it's televised by the MLB Network. The Birds go with Yovani Gallardo (3-2, 5.37), who is looking for his first win since June 29. Last time out he did pitch pretty well, allowing two runs and five hits over 6.2 innings against Colorado. Gallardo beat Toronto in his lone start against the Jays this year, allowing two runs over five innings on June 18. Jose Bautista is just 1-for-12 career off him with four strikeouts. Edwin Encarnacion is 6-for-17 with three homers. Toronto goes with lefty J.A. Happ (13-3, 3.27), who already has set a career high for wins. He was terrific last time out, shutting out Seattle on one hit over six innings. Toronto has won his past eight, a streak that started June 11 vs. Baltimore when Happ gave up four runs over seven innings. Chris Davis is 3-for-9 off him with a homer. J.J. Hardy is 3-for-18 off Happ.

Key trends: The Orioles are 4-1 in Gallardo's past five vs. the AL East. The Jays are 11-1 in Happ's past 12 at home. The "over/under" has gone under in Gallardo's past four. The under is 6-1 in Happ's past seven vs. Baltimore.

Early lean: Jays and over.

Nationals at Giants (TBA)

A 4:05 p.m. ET start and televised nationally on Fox Sports 1. Bit of a shame we won't see Max Scherzer or Stephen Strasburg against either Madison Bumgarner or Johnny Cueto in this terrific series. With Joe Ross still sidelined, the Nats are expected to go with one of their top prospects in Reynaldo Lopez (0-1, 11.57), although he could potentially be included in any trade the Nats might make for a reliever. Lopez made his big-league debut on July 19 vs. the Dodgers and allowed six runs and 10 hits over 4.2 innings -- but with nine strikeouts -- and was sent back down. He threw a complete-game shutout in his one outing in Triple-A since. The Giants go with Jake Peavy (5-9, 5.42). He was hit around for six runs (three homers) over five innings last time out in a loss to Cincinnati. This will be his first look at Washington this season. Bryce Harper is 3-for-5 off him with four strikeouts. Daniel Murphy is 3-for-11 with two doubles.

Key trends: The Giants are 9-0 in Peavy's past nine on Saturday. The under is 3-1-1 in his past five.

Early lean: TBA as Nats haven't officially announced Lopez yet, but it's going to be him barring a surprise. I like the Giants.

Phillies at Braves (-128, 7.5)

If I could find a prop on whether this is the last start for Jeremy Hellickson (7-7, 3.65) in a Phillies jersey, I'd drop some big bucks on that. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if he's scratched here with an impending deal in place. Although apparently the Phillies are asking a bit too much for him. So for now it's Hellickson's scheduled start. His last two outings were against the Marlins, who wanted him before that Padres deal, and he allowed just one run and six hits over 14 innings. Hellickson beat Atlanta on July 6, giving up one earned run and four hits over six innings. Jeff Francouer is 3-for-11 off him with two doubles. Nick Markakis is 9-for-44 with two homers. It's Julio Teheran (3-8, 2.71) for the Braves, who now seem likely to keep him at least the rest of this season. He left his last start after four scoreless innings in Colorado on July 22 with back tightness, so he'll go on a few extra days of rest. Teheran hasn't faced the Phillies this year.

Key trends: The Phillies are 5-1 in Hellickson's past six. The Braves are 1-10 in Teheran's past 11 at home. The under is 7-0 in Hellickson's past seven. The under is 11-3 in Teheran's past 14.

Early lean: Phillies and under.

Rockies at Mets (-137, 7.5)

I'd imagine a sellout crowd at Citi Field for this game as the team will retire the No. 31 jersey of Mike Piazza before the game. Of course Piazza, probably the best offensive catcher in MLB history, was inducted into the Hall of Fame last weekend in Cooperstown. It will be the fifth number retired by the Mets, joining Casey Stengel (37), Gil Hodges (14), Tom Seaver (41) and Jackie Robinson (42, by every team in MLB). Will Mets third baseman Jose Reyes get to play against the team that waived him earlier this season? Not looking good as he hasn't played since Tuesday due to an intercostal strain and already has been ruled out through Friday. Monitor the status of Yoenis Cespedes, too, as he was scratched Thursday due to a quad injury and it sounds like he might only be able to pinch-hit for a while. New York starts Bartolo Colon (9-5, 3.35). He had been shaky over his past few starts but dominated the Cardinals on Tuesday in allowing one run and three hits over seven innings. The Mets are a bit thin in their rotation thanks to a doubleheader on Tuesday, so Colon makes his first start on fewer than four days of rest in 11 years. Colorado's Carlos Gonzalez is 4-for-7 career off him with two solo homers. The Rockies counter with lefty Jorge De La Rosa (6-7, 5.70). He pitched well Monday in Baltimore in allowing one earned run over 6.1 innings but took a no-decision. The Mets' James Loney hits him well, going 8-for-18 with a homer and seven RBIs.

Key trends: The Rockies are 1-5 in De La Rosa's past six vs. teams with a winning record. The Mets are 5-0 in Colon's past five at home. The over is 4-1 in De La Rosa's past five on Saturday.

Early lean: Rockies and under (both if Reyes and Cespedes are out).

Red Sox at Angels (+127, 8.5)

Boston lefty Drew Pomeranz (8-8, 2.84) wasn't sharp in his first start with the Sox since being traded from the Padres, but he was much better last time out, allowing two runs and four hits over six innings against Detroit in a no-decision. His one mistake was a two-run homer by Jose Iglesias. Because Pomeranz already has thrown a career-high 111 innings, the Sox don't plan to let him throw more than 100 pitches in a game. He was pulled at 99 vs. Detroit. Pomeranz hasn't faced the Angels this year. Mike Trout is 1-for-8 career against him with a homer. Albert Pujols is 1-for-12. The Halos apparently are listening to offers for lefty Hector Santiago (9-4, 4.28), and his value is really high right now as he's 5-0 with a 1.48 ERA in July. That streak started with six innings pitched in Boston on July 2 when Santiago allowed one unearned run and four hits. Xander Bogaerts is 5-for-9 off him. David Ortiz is 3-for-14 with four RBIs.

Key trends: The Sox are 4-0 in their past four vs. a lefty. The Angels are 4-1 in Santiago's past five vs. teams with a winning record. The over is 9-4 in Santiago's past 13.

Early lean: Red Sox and over.

Comment

Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays Series July 29-31 2016

Toronto and Baltimore play a crucial three-game series north of the border this weekend with top spot in the East at stake. The clubs have split ten games this season with Blue Jays holding a 3-1 edge meeting at Rogers Center.

A.L. East leading Orioles looking to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the division open the series with Kevin Gausman on the hill. Blue Jays two games back hoping to inch closer counter with Marco Estrada. Jays have won three straight vs Orioles in this park with Estrada, Gausman not a peg to hang your hopes on in an opposing park is saddled with an 0-13 skid in enemy territory.

Saturday, probable pitching matchup has J.A. Happ squaring off with Yovani Gallardo. Happ having a strong campaign is undefeated in eight starts. Toronto emerged triumphant in each of the games and have won ten of his last eleven trips to the mound. Gallardo is coming off perhaps the best outing wearing an Orioles uniform tossing 6 2/3 innings of 2 run ball in a home win vs Colorado. However, Orioles have lost four of his last six road starts which includes 1-3 as an underdog which will be the case here.

The finale features Aaron Sanchez and Chris Tillman on respective mounds. Sanchez in great form has surrendered two earned runs or fewer in 7 consecutive starts and 9 of his last 10. He also has won 10 consecutive decisions with Jays 12-4 over the sixteen starts. Sanchez carries to the mound a sparkling 5-1 team start stretch at home vs a division opponent. Tillman not at his best last outing tagged with a loss giving up 6 runs over 5.0 innings faces a big test. Rogers Centre has been a tough environment for Tillman, in eleven starts he's has a 7.94 ERA getting tagged for 19 yard-ball with Orioles 3-8 in those games.

Toronto's top three hurlers doing their bidding, Jays 9-2 vs the division with Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, 8-2 last 10 home hosting a division rival, 11-4 last 15 in front of the home audience expect the boys from north of the border to have a productive weekend winning 2-of-3 and/or possibly sweep the series.

Comment

MLB

Saturday’s games

National League

Cardinals @ Marlins
              Garcia is 1-1, 5.02 in his last four starts; under is 8-6-1 in his last 15. Cardinals are 6-3 in his road starts.

Rea makes his Miami debut here; he was 0-2, 5.74 in his last three starts for San Diego. Over is 9-4 in his last 13 starts.

Cardinals won six of last seven road games; five of their last seven games went over. Miami is 4-6 in its last ten games; their last three games went over.

Rockies @ Mets
              De la Rosa is 2-2, 3.34 in his last five road starts (over 9-5). Colorado is 4-5 when he starts on the road.

Colon is 3-1, 5.86 in his last five starts; under is 5-1-1 in his last seven. Mets are 5-4 in his home starts.

Colorado won eight of its last nine games; under is 10-2-2 in their last 14 games. Mets lost seven of last eight home games; under is 8-2-1 in last eleven games at Citi Field.

Phillies @ Braves
              Hellickson is 3-1, 2.37 in his last six starts; his last seven stayed under. Phillies are 5-4 in his road starts.

Teheran is 1-1, 2.21 in his last six starts; under is 11-3 in his last 14. Braves are somehow 1-10 in his home starts.

Phillies lost five of last seven games; under is 10-5 in their last 15 games. Atlanta is 5-9 in its last 14 games; seven of last 11 games at Turner Field went over the total.

Pirates @ Brewers
              Taillon is 1-0, 3.00 in his last three starts; four of his last five starts went over.

Anderson is 1-4, 8.75 in his last six starts; over is 5-1-1 in his last seven. Milwaukee is 4-5 in his home starts.

Pirates lost four of last five road games (over 4-1 in last five overall). Brewers won five of last seven games; under is 9-4-1 in last 14 games at Miller Park.

Diamondbacks @ Dodgers
              Shipley allowed six runs in 5.1 IP (101 PT) in his first MLB start.

Kazmir is 4-0, 3.81 in his last five starts; seven of his last nine went over. Dodgers won five of his last six home starts.

Arizona lost eight of last 11 games; over is 4-1-1 in their last six. Dodgers won four of last five games; under is 13-4 in their last 17 home games.

Nationals @ Giants
              Lopez allowed six runs in 4.2 IP (108 PT) in his MLB debut.

Peavy is 1-3, 7.11 in his last five starts; six of his last eight stayed under. Giants won five of his last six home starts.

Nationals are 9-5 in last 14 games; six of last seven Washington road games stayed under. San Francisco lost 11 of last 13 games, six of last seven Giant home games stayed under the total.

Reds @ Padres
              DeSclafani is 5-0, 3.40 in his last six starts (under 3-1-2). Reds are 3-2 in his road starts.

Friedrich is 0-4, 8.87 in his last five starts (over 10-3). San Diego is 3-2 when he starts at home.

Reds won eight of last 11 games; three of their last five went over. San Diego lost eight of last 11 games; three of their last five went over. Padres waved white flag yesterday by trading two starting pitchers to Miami.

American League

Orioles @ Blue Jays
              Gallardo is 0-1, 4.88 in his last five starts; seven of his last nine stayed under. Baltimore is 3-4 in his road starts.

Happ is 7-0, 2.98 in his last eight starts; over is 5-3-1 in his last nine. Blue Jays are 9-1 in his home starts.

Orioles lost last four games, 16 of their last 17 games stayed under the total. Toronto won four of its last five games; its last three went over.

Bronx @ Rays
              Eovaldi is 2-0, 2.25 in his last two starts; three of his last four stayed under. New York lost his last four road starts.

Smyly is 0-4, 8.10 in his last five starts; over is 11-3 in his last 14. Tampa Bay is 2-6 in his home starts.

New York won seven of last 11 games (under 10-1). Tampa Bay lost four of last six games (under 6-0).

A’s @ Indians
              Overton is 1-1, 8.40 in his three starts (over 2-1).

Tomlin is 1-2, 6.38 in his last three starts; three of his last four stayed under. Cleveland is 6-2 in his home starts.

A’s won five of last seven games; seven of their last ten games stayed under. Cleveland lost four of last six games (under 5-1).

Astros @ Tigers
              Fiers is 4-1, 4.50 in his last seven starts; Astros scored 53 runs in the seven games. Four of his last five starts went over total.
              Astros are 2-5 in his road starts.

Verlander is 3-0, 2.14 in his last five starts; under is 10-2 in his last 12. Detroit is 5-3 in his last eight home starts.

Astros lost three of last four games; under is 5-3-1 in their last nine. Detroit won its last four games; under is 5-2 in their last seven home games.

Royals @ Rangers
              Kennedy is 0-4, 6.67 in his last five starts; his last three stayed under. Royals are 3-7 when he starts on the road.

Perez is 0-3, 12.05 in his last four starts; under is 6-2 in his last eight home starts. Texas won his last six home starts.

Kansas City lost eight of last nine games; under is 12-4-1 in their last 17 road games. Texas won five of last seven games; over is 10-4 in last 13 Texas home games.

White Sox @ Twins
              Gonzalez is 1-1, 3.16 in his last four starts; under is 6-4 in his last ten. Chicago lost his last three road starts.

Milone is 3-1, 5.57 in his last four starts (over 5-5). Minnesota won all three of his home starts.

Chicago is 4-6 in its last ten games; under is 7-2-1 in their last ten road games. Minnesota lost three of last five games; under is 6-1-1 in Twins’ last eight home games.

Red Sox @ Angels
              Pomeranz is 0-1, 7.00 in his first two starts for Boston (over 1-1).

Santiago is 5-0, 1.78 in his last five starts; three of his last four stayed under. Angels are 6-3 in his home starts.

Red Sox lost six of last eight games; last six Boston road games stayed under total. Angels won seven of last eight home games; over is 13-6 in Halos’ last 19 home games.

Interleague

Mariners @ Cubs
              Miley is 0-6, 5.13 in his last six starts; his last four stayed under the total. Seattle lost his last three road starts.

Arrieta is 0-2, 5.55 in his last four starts; over is 4-1-1 in his last six. Chicago lost four of his last five home starts.

Seattle lost three of their last four games; four of their last five went over. Cubs won six of last nine games, under is 10-2-2 in Cubs’ last 14 games.

Teams won-lost records when this pitcher starts:

StL-Mia– Garcia 10-10; Rea 0-0/10-8
              Col-NY– De la Rosa 6-8; Colon 13-7 (8-2 last 10)
              Phil-Atl– Hellickson 11-10; Teheran 5-15
              Pitt-Mil– Taillon 5-2; Anderson 7-12
              Az-LA– Shipley 0-1; Kazmir 12-8 (6-0 last 6)
              Wsh-SF– Lopez 0-1; Peavy 10-10
              Cin-SD– DeSclafani 7-2; Friedrich 6-7 (1-4 last 5)

Balt-Tor– Gallardo 8-4; Happ 15-5 (8-0 last 8)
              NY-TB– Eovaldi 10-8; Smyly 6-13 (0-6 last 6)
              A’s-Clev– Overton 2-1; Tomlin 14-4
              Hst-Det– Fiers 11-7; Verlander 12-9
              KC-Tex– Kennedy 11-9 (0-5 last 5); Perez 11-10
              Chi-Min– Gonzalez 7-8; Milone 5-5
              Bos-LAA– Pomeranz 1-1/9-8; Santiago 15-6 (6-0 last 6)

Sea-Cubs– Miley 9-9 (0-6 last 6); Arrieta 13-7 (0-4 last 4)

Starting pitchers allowing 1+ runs in first inning:

StL-Mia– Garcia 7-20; Rea 0-0/9-18
              Col-NY– De la Rosa 6-14; Colon 6-19
              Phil-Atl– Hellickson 6-21; Teheran 4-20
              Pitt-Mil– Taillon 2-7; Anderson 7-19
              Az-LA– Shipley 1-1; Kazmir 11-20 (6 of last 9)
              Wsh-SF– Lopez 1-1; Peavy 4-20
              Cin-SD– DeSclafani 5-9; Friedrich 5-13

Balt-Tor– Gallardo 6-12; Happ 5-20
              NY-TB– Eovaldi 4-18; Smyly 6-19
              A’s-Clev– Overton 1-3; Tomlin 8-18
              Hst-Det– Fiers 3-18; Verlander 8-21
              KC-Tex– Kennedy 8-20 (5 of last 7); Perez 8-21
              Chi-Min– Gonzalez 6-15; Milone 0-10
              Bos-LAA– Pomeranz 3-19; Santiago 8-21 (0 of last 8)

Sea-Cubs– Miley 7-18; Arrieta 3-20

Umpires
              Wsh-SF– Under is 8-4-1 in last 13 Fairchild games.
              Phil-Atl– Seven of last eight Rackley games went over.
              StL-Mia– Over is 7-2-1 in last ten BWelke games.
              Pitt-Mil– Over is 7-4 in last eleven Foster games.
              Col-NY– Over is 10-3-1 in last 14 Porter games.
              Cin-SD– Over is 5-3 in last eight Gibson games.
              Az-LA– Ten of last eleven Miller games went over.

Blt-Tor– Six of last eight Reynolds games stayed under.
              NY-TB– Underdogs won nine of last ten Blaser games.
              Chi-Min– Under is 8-4 in last twelve Wolf games.
              A’s-Clev– Last four HGibson games stayed under.
              Hst-Det– Underdogs are 9-6 in last 15 Hamari games.
              KC-Tex– Last three Conroy games stayed under.
              Bos-LA– Home side won eight of last ten West games.

Sea-Chi– Six of last nine LBarrett games went over.

Comment

Preview: Orioles at Blue Jays

Current Conditions - Toronto

Mostly cloudy 68 °F
                Wind: ENE 6.9
                5-Day Forecast
                GAME: Baltimore Orioles (58-44) at Toronto Blue Jays (58-45)
                DATE/TIME: Saturday, July 30 - 1:07 PM EST
                WHERE: Rogers Centre, Toronto, Ontario
                LINE: N/A TOTAL: N/A

J.A. Happ already has set a personal best for victories and looks to win his eighth consecutive decision when the Toronto Blue Jays host the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday in the middle contest of their three-game series. Happ's hot streak has propelled his victory count to 13, topping the 12 games he won for Philadelphia in 2009.

Happ yielded just one hit over six scoreless innings in a victory over Seattle in his last turn and has posted a 1.48 ERA over his last four outings. He is 8-1 with a 3.22 ERA in 10 home starts this season, and a victory on Saturday would push the Blue Jays past Baltimore and into first place in the American League East. Toronto received first-inning homers from Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Troy Tulowitzki in Friday's 6-5 victory to move within one-half game of the Orioles, who have dropped four consecutive contests. Mark Trumbo, who leads the major leagues with 30 home runs, recorded a two-run double in the series opener but is just 2-for-22 over his last six contests.

TV: 1:07 p.m. ET, MLB Network, MASN (Baltimore), Sportsnet (Toronto)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Orioles RH Yovani Gallardo (3-2, 5.37 ERA) vs. Blue Jays LH A.J. Happ (13-3, 3.27)

Gallardo is 4-0 with a 1.78 ERA in four career starts against Toronto, including a victory on June 18 in which he gave up two runs and five hits over five innings. He is 0-1 with a 4.88 ERA over his last five overall outings and has registered nearly as many walks (17) as strikeouts (20) during that stretch. Gallardo has been horrendous on the road this season as he owns a 1-2 record and 6.94 ERA in seven starts.

Happ has pitched more than six innings just once in his last six starts and has lasted longer than 7 1/3 once all season. He has allowed fewer than two runs in 10 of his 20 turns and is limiting opposing batters to a .237 average. Happ defeated Baltimore on June 11, when he gave up four runs - the third-most he has allowed this year - and eight hits in seven innings, and stands at 3-3 with a 3.76 ERA in 10 career appearances (nine starts).

WALK-OFFS

1. Toronto has belted three home runs in an inning twice this season and 35 times in franchise history.

2. Baltimore 3B Manny Machado homered in the opener but is batting just .222 in July, and his season average has dropped 25 points to .309.

3. Encarnacion, who leads the majors with 88 RBIs, is 6-for-17 with three homers versus Gallardo.

PREDICTION: Blue Jays 7, Orioles 4

Comment

Trends - Baltimore at Toronto
                  W/L Trends

Baltimore
                  • Orioles are 4-0 in their last 4 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Orioles are 6-1 in their last 7 Saturday games.
                  • Orioles are 4-1 in their last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Orioles are 11-4 in their last 15 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Orioles are 8-3 in their last 11 during game 2 of a series.
                  • Orioles are 3-7 in their last 10 road games vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Orioles are 2-5 in their last 7 games on astroturf.
                  • Orioles are 1-4 in their last 5 after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Orioles are 1-4 in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
                  • Orioles are 1-5 in their last 6 vs. American League East.
                  • Orioles are 1-6 in their last 7 road games.
                  • Orioles are 1-6 in their last 7 games following a loss.
                  • Orioles are 0-4 in their last 4 overall.
                  • Orioles are 4-0 in Gallardos last 4 starts during game 2 of a series.
                  • Orioles are 4-0 in Gallardos last 4 starts after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Orioles are 4-1 in Gallardos last 5 starts vs. American League East.
                  • Orioles are 4-1 in Gallardos last 5 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Orioles are 6-2 in Gallardos last 8 starts.
                  Toronto
                  • Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 overall.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 games on astroturf.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 home games.
                  • Blue Jays are 10-3 in their last 13 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Blue Jays are 6-2 in their last 8 after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 12-4 in their last 16 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 12-4 in their last 16 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                  • Blue Jays are 14-5 in their last 19 vs. American League East.
                  • Blue Jays are 8-3 in their last 11 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 10-4 in their last 14 games following a win.
                  • Blue Jays are 44-18 in their last 62 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                  • Blue Jays are 7-3 in their last 10 during game 2 of a series.
                  • Blue Jays are 21-9 in their last 30 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                  • Blue Jays are 51-23 in their last 74 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                  • Blue Jays are 47-23 in their last 70 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Blue Jays are 5-13 in their last 18 Saturday games.
                  • Blue Jays are 5-0 in Happs last 5 starts during game 2 of a series.
                  • Blue Jays are 6-0 in Happs last 6 starts when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 5-0 in Happs last 5 starts after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 6-0 in Happs last 6 starts on astroturf.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-0 in Happs last 4 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-0 in Happs last 4 starts after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Blue Jays are 11-1 in Happs last 12 home starts.
                  • Blue Jays are 13-3 in Happs last 16 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-1 in Happs last 5 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance.
                  • Blue Jays are 18-5 in Happs last 23 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Blue Jays are 17-5 in Happs last 22 starts.
                  • Blue Jays are 5-2 in Happs last 7 starts vs. American League East.
                  OU Trends

Baltimore
                  • Under is 4-0 in Orioles last 4 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Under is 7-0 in Orioles last 7 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Under is 8-1 in Orioles last 9 road games.
                  • Under is 8-1 in Orioles last 9 games following a loss.
                  • Under is 7-1 in Orioles last 8 vs. American League East.
                  • Under is 6-1 in Orioles last 7 after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Under is 5-1 in Orioles last 6 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Under is 5-1 in Orioles last 6 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Under is 17-4 in Orioles last 21 overall.
                  • Under is 4-1 in Orioles last 5 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
                  • Under is 19-6-1 in Orioles last 26 during game 2 of a series.
                  • Under is 5-2 in Orioles last 7 Saturday games.
                  • Under is 35-15-2 in Orioles last 52 road games vs. a left-handed starter.
                  • Under is 11-5 in Orioles last 16 games vs. a left-handed starter.
                  • Under is 4-0 in Gallardos last 4 starts overall.
                  • Under is 4-0 in Gallardos last 4 starts vs. American League East.
                  • Under is 4-1 in Gallardos last 5 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  Toronto
                  • Over is 4-0 in Blue Jays last 4 during game 2 of a series.
                  • Over is 5-1 in Blue Jays last 6 vs. American League East.
                  • Over is 4-1 in Blue Jays last 5 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                  • Under is 4-1-1 in Blue Jays last 6 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Over is 4-1-1 in Blue Jays last 6 after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Over is 4-1 in Blue Jays last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                  • Under is 7-2 in Blue Jays last 9 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Under is 7-2 in Blue Jays last 9 vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Over is 15-5-2 in Blue Jays last 22 Saturday games.
                  • Under is 7-3 in Blue Jays last 10 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                  • Under is 13-6 in Blue Jays last 19 games following a win.
                  • Under is 5-1 in Happs last 6 starts during game 2 of a series.
                  • Over is 5-1-1 in Happs last 7 starts after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Over is 5-1-1 in Happs last 7 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                  • Under is 4-1 in Happs last 5 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance.
                  • Under is 21-8-1 in Happs last 30 starts vs. American League East.
                  • Under is 28-11 in Happs last 39 starts on astroturf.
                  • Over is 5-2 in Happs last 7 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                  • Under is 25-10 in Happs last 35 home starts.
                  Head to Head

• Under is 6-1 in Happs last 7 starts vs. Orioles.
                  • Over is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings in Toronto.
                  • Over is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings.
                  • Orioles are 22-54 in the last 76 meetings in Toronto.
                  • Orioles are 2-5 in the last 7 meetings.
                  Umpire Trends - Jim Reynolds

• Under is 4-0 in Reynolds' last 4 games behind home plate vs. Baltimore.
                  • Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 Saturday games with Reynolds behind home plate.
                  • Blue Jays are 7-2 in their last 9 games with Reynolds behind home plate.
                  • Home team is 6-2 in Reynolds' last 8 Saturday games behind home plate.
                  • Under is 6-2 in Reynolds' last 8 games behind home plate.
                  • Road team is 12-4 in Reynolds' last 16 games behind home plate.
                  • Under is 6-2 in Reynolds' last 8 games behind home plate vs. Toronto.
                  • Home team is 17-7 in Reynolds' last 24 games behind home plate vs. Toronto.

Comment

Preview: Mariners at Cubs

Current Conditions - Chicago

Some clouds 70 °F
                    Wind: ENE 6.3
                    5-Day Forecast
                    GAME: Seattle Mariners (51-50) at Chicago Cubs (62-40)
                    DATE/TIME: Saturday, July 30 - 2:20 PM EST
                    WHERE: Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois

The Chicago Cubs’ starting rotation has been the best in the majors since the All-Star break – and that’s with reigning Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta continuing to struggle. The Cubs will try to get their ace back on track and earn their fourth straight victory when they host the Seattle Mariners for the second of a three-game series Saturday.

Cubs starters have posted a major league-best 2.60 ERA since the break, including a 1.35 mark at home, where the club has allowed two or fewer runs in six straight contests. Chicago has won four straight and seven of its last nine at home. Jon Lester continued the dominance in Friday’s 12-1 win, holding the Mariners to four hits over six scoreless innings. Seattle will have to buck a recent trend in order to boost its offensive production, as the Mariners have managed a total of six runs in the past five games left-hander Wade Miley has started.
                    TV: 2:20 p.m. ET, ROOT (Seattle), CSN Chicago

PITCHING MATCHUP: Mariners LH Wade Miley (6-8, 5.23 ERA) vs. Cubs RH Jake Arrieta (12-4, 2.76)
                    Miley has lost six straight starts, but he has recorded quality starts in his last two outings and three of his last four. The 29-year-old held Toronto to two runs over six innings on Sunday but was on the wrong end of a 2-0 shutout. Miley is 3-1 with a 3.89 ERA in five starts against the Cubs, most recently in 2014.
                    After one brilliant start coming out of the All-Star break, Arrieta again was ordinary Monday against the White Sox when he allowed four runs over six innings. The 30-year-old allowed a three-run blast to Todd Frazier – the fifth homer he has allowed in his last five starts after surrendering just three in his first 15 outings of the year. Arrieta is 0-1 with a 4.63 ERA in three games (two starts) against the Mariners, but he hasn’t faced them since 2012.

WALK-OFFS
                    1. Cubs INF Javier Baez has hit safely in a career-best 11 consecutive home games, going 16-for-43 over that span.
                    2. Mariners 2B Robinson Cano has hit safely in all four career games at Wrigley Field and is 6-for-16 there.
                    3. Chicago 2B/OF Ben Zobrist has doubled in three straight games for the first time since Aug. 6-9, 2014, with Tampa Bay.

PREDICTION: Cubs 7, Mariners 2

Comment

Trends - Seattle at Chi. Cubs
                      W/L Trends

Seattle
                      • Mariners are 7-1 in their last 8 interleague road games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Mariners are 6-1 in their last 7 games following a loss.
                      • Mariners are 5-1 in their last 6 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Mariners are 4-1 in their last 5 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Mariners are 4-1 in their last 5 Saturday games.
                      • Mariners are 7-2 in their last 9 interleague games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Mariners are 9-4 in their last 13 interleague road games.
                      • Mariners are 4-10 in their last 14 road games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Mariners are 2-5 in their last 7 interleague road games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Mariners are 7-19 in their last 26 road games.
                      • Mariners are 3-9 in their last 12 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Mariners are 2-7 in their last 9 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
                      • Mariners are 0-4 in Mileys last 4 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Mariners are 0-6 in Mileys last 6 starts.
                      • Mariners are 0-5 in Mileys last 5 starts on grass.
                      Chi. Cubs
                      • Cubs are 7-1 in their last 8 interleague home games.
                      • Cubs are 6-1 in their last 7 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 5-1 in their last 6 vs. American League West.
                      • Cubs are 5-1 in their last 6 interleague home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 4-1 in their last 5 games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Cubs are 9-3 in their last 12 interleague games.
                      • Cubs are 6-2 in their last 8 vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 6-2 in their last 8 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 5-2 in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 22-9 in their last 31 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                      • Cubs are 12-5 in their last 17 home games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Cubs are 64-28 in their last 92 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                      • Cubs are 48-21 in their last 69 after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 58-26 in their last 84 home games.
                      • Cubs are 42-19 in their last 61 when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 75-35 in their last 110 games following a win.
                      • Cubs are 5-11 in their last 16 interleague home games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Cubs are 1-4 in their last 5 Saturday games.
                      • Cubs are 1-6 in their last 7 during game 2 of a series.
                      • Cubs are 5-1 in Arrietas last 6 Saturday starts.
                      • Cubs are 9-2 in Arrietas last 11 starts after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 12-3 in Arrietas last 15 starts during game 2 of a series.
                      • Cubs are 4-1 in Arrietas last 5 interleague starts.
                      • Cubs are 26-7 in Arrietas last 33 starts with 4 days of rest.
                      • Cubs are 11-3 in Arrietas last 14 starts when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 11-3 in Arrietas last 14 starts after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 16-5 in Arrietas last 21 starts when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 20-7 in Arrietas last 27 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 31-11 in Arrietas last 42 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                      • Cubs are 43-16 in Arrietas last 59 starts on grass.
                      • Cubs are 37-14 in Arrietas last 51 starts.
                      • Cubs are 12-5 in Arrietas last 17 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Cubs are 1-4 in Arrietas last 5 home starts.
                      OU Trends

Seattle
                      • Over is 4-0 in Mariners last 4 on grass.
                      • Over is 5-0 in Mariners last 5 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Over is 4-0 in Mariners last 4 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Over is 4-0 in Mariners last 4 interleague games.
                      • Over is 4-0 in Mariners last 4 interleague road games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Over is 4-0 in Mariners last 4 vs. National League Central.
                      • Over is 5-0 in Mariners last 5 interleague road games.
                      • Over is 6-0 in Mariners last 6 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Over is 6-1 in Mariners last 7 interleague games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Over is 5-1-1 in Mariners last 7 interleague road games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Mariners last 5 games vs. a starter with a WHIP less than 1.15.
                      • Over is 4-1 in Mariners last 5 road games.
                      • Over is 4-1 in Mariners last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                      • Over is 4-1 in Mariners last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Over is 4-1 in Mariners last 5 overall.
                      • Under is 5-2 in Mariners last 7 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
                      • Under is 10-4 in Mariners last 14 during game 2 of a series.
                      • Under is 4-0 in Mileys last 4 starts overall.
                      • Over is 5-1 in Mileys last 6 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Mileys last 5 road starts.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Mileys last 5 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Over is 4-1-1 in Mileys last 6 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Over is 3-1-1 in Mileys last 5 starts after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      Chi. Cubs
                      • Under is 3-0-1 in Cubs last 4 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                      • Under is 4-0 in Cubs last 4 games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Under is 4-0 in Cubs last 4 home games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Under is 4-0 in Cubs last 4 interleague games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Under is 4-0 in Cubs last 4 during game 2 of a series.
                      • Under is 6-1 in Cubs last 7 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Under is 6-1-1 in Cubs last 8 interleague home games vs. a left-handed starter.
                      • Under is 6-1-2 in Cubs last 9 interleague games.
                      • Under is 6-1 in Cubs last 7 vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Under is 6-1 in Cubs last 7 when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Under is 10-2-2 in Cubs last 14 on grass.
                      • Under is 5-1-1 in Cubs last 7 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Under is 5-1 in Cubs last 6 interleague home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Under is 10-2-2 in Cubs last 14 overall.
                      • Under is 4-1-1 in Cubs last 6 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Cubs last 5 vs. American League West.
                      • Under is 23-6-1 in Cubs last 30 home games.
                      • Under is 16-5 in Cubs last 21 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Under is 19-6-2 in Cubs last 27 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                      • Under is 21-8-2 in Cubs last 31 games following a win.
                      • Under is 32-14-5 in Cubs last 51 interleague home games.
                      • Under is 35-17-1 in Cubs last 53 after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                      • Over is 3-0-1 in Arrietas last 4 Saturday starts.
                      • Over is 3-0-1 in Arrietas last 4 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Arrietas last 5 home starts.
                      • Over is 6-2-1 in Arrietas last 9 starts with 4 days of rest.
                      • Over is 3-1-2 in Arrietas last 6 starts on grass.
                      • Over is 3-1-2 in Arrietas last 6 starts overall.
                      • Over is 8-3-1 in Arrietas last 12 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                      • Over is 5-2 in Arrietas last 7 starts during game 2 of a series.
                      • Over is 5-2-2 in Arrietas last 9 interleague starts.
                      Head to Head

• Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings.
                      • Mariners are 1-4 in the last 5 meetings.
                      Umpire Trends - Lance Barrett

• Home team is 7-0 in Barretts last 7 Saturday games behind home plate.
                      • Under is 5-0 in Barretts last 5 games behind home plate vs. Chicago.
                      • Home team is 5-0 in Barretts last 5 games behind home plate vs. Chicago.
                      • Under is 4-1 in Barretts last 5 games behind home plate vs. Seattle.
                      • Home team is 4-1 in Barretts last 5 games behind home plate vs. Seattle.
                      • Over is 6-2-1 in Barretts last 9 Saturday games behind home plate.
                      • Road team is 5-2 in Barretts last 7 games behind home plate.

Comment

Preview: Nationals at Giants

Current Conditions - San Francisco

Partly cloudy 55 °F
                        Wind: WNW 13.8
                        5-Day Forecast
                        GAME: Washington Nationals (61-42) at San Francisco Giants (59-44)
                        DATE/TIME: Saturday, July 30 - 4:05 PM EST
                        WHERE: AT&T Park, San Francisco, California

The Washington Nationals hope to have Daniel Murphy in the lineup when they visit the San Francisco Giants on Saturday afternoon for the third contest of the four-game series between the division leaders. Murphy, who is among the major league leaders with a .351 batting average, exited Friday's 4-1 victory an inning after pulling up gingerly on an RBI triple in the fifth.

The All-Star second baseman has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games for the Nationals, who are 3-1 on their nine-game road trip and own a six-game lead over Miami in the NL East. San Francisco saw its advantage over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West dwindle to one game as it suffered its third consecutive defeat. The Giants have struggled mightily since the All-Star break, going 1-7 on their eight-game road trip before dropping four of the first five contests of their seven-game homestand. Gregor Blanco drove in the lone run for San Francisco on Friday, giving him an RBI in each of the first two contests of the series following a 12-game drought.

TV: 4:05 p.m. ET, FS1, MASN2 (Washington), CSN Bay Area (San Francisco)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Nationals RH Reynaldo Lopez (0-1, 11.57 ERA) vs. Giants RH Jake Peavy (5-9, 5.42)

Lopez will be recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to make his second start of the season in place of the injured Joe Ross. The 22-year-old Dominican made his major league debut July 19, suffering the loss against the Los Angeles Dodgers after surrendering six runs and 10 hits in 4 2/3 innings. Lopez, who recorded nine strikeouts in the setback, has gone a combined 5-5 with one shutout and a 2.90 ERA in 17 starts with Syracuse and Double-A Harrisburg this year.

Peavy looks to avoid a third consecutive loss after yielding a combined 10 runs and seven hits — five homers — in setbacks to Boston and Cincinnati. The 35-year-old native of Alabama averaged one strikeout per frame, however, and issued only three walks in the defeats. Peavy owns a 5-6 record with two of his six career shutouts and a 4.07 ERA in 14 games (13) starts against Washington.

WALK-OFFS

1. The Nationals turned their first triple play since the franchise moved from Montreal in 2005 on Friday, escaping a bases-loaded, none-out jam in the eighth inning with their 4-1 lead intact.

2. San Francisco INF Eduardo Nunez made his debut Friday after being acquired from Minnesota, striking out in his only at-bat after entering on a double switch, while OF Hunter Pence (hamstring) is expected to be activated from the disabled list Saturday.

3. Washington placed Jose Lobaton (elbow) on the 15-day disabled list and recalled fellow C Pedro Severino, who went 0-for-2 with a walk in one game with the club earlier this season.

PREDICTION: Giants 6, Nationals 4

Comment

Trends - Washington at San Francisco
                          W/L Trends

Washington
                          • Nationals are 6-1 in their last 7 road games.
                          • Nationals are 6-1 in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Nationals are 6-1 in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
                          • Nationals are 5-1 in their last 6 road games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Nationals are 4-1 in their last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Nationals are 12-5 in their last 17 vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Nationals are 21-10 in their last 31 games following a win.
                          • Nationals are 35-17 in their last 52 when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Nationals are 4-9 in their last 13 vs. National League West.
                          • Nationals are 0-5 in their last 5 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                          San Francisco
                          • Giants are 15-6 in their last 21 during game 3 of a series.
                          • Giants are 5-2 in their last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
                          • Giants are 37-18 in their last 55 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                          • Giants are 5-12 in their last 17 games after losing the first 2 games of a series.
                          • Giants are 2-8 in their last 10 games following a loss.
                          • Giants are 1-4 in their last 5 home games.
                          • Giants are 3-13 in their last 16 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Giants are 1-5 in their last 6 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Giants are 2-11 in their last 13 overall.
                          • Giants are 2-11 in their last 13 games on grass.
                          • Giants are 1-6 in their last 7 vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Giants are 0-4 in their last 4 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Giants are 0-4 in their last 4 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Giants are 9-0 in Peavys last 9 Saturday starts.
                          • Giants are 5-1 in Peavys last 6 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Giants are 5-1 in Peavys last 6 starts vs. National League East.
                          • Giants are 19-7 in Peavys last 26 home starts.
                          • Giants are 8-3 in Peavys last 11 starts during game 3 of a series.
                          • Giants are 5-2 in Peavys last 7 starts with 4 days of rest.
                          • Giants are 9-4 in Peavys last 13 starts after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Giants are 1-4 in Peavys last 5 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Giants are 0-4 in Peavys last 4 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                          OU Trends

Washington
                          • Under is 6-1 in Nationals last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Under is 6-1 in Nationals last 7 road games.
                          • Under is 6-1 in Nationals last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
                          • Under is 5-1 in Nationals last 6 road games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Under is 5-1 in Nationals last 6 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Under is 4-1 in Nationals last 5 vs. National League West.
                          • Under is 7-2 in Nationals last 9 when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Under is 7-2 in Nationals last 9 games following a win.
                          • Under is 9-3 in Nationals last 12 after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Under is 5-2 in Nationals last 7 overall.
                          • Under is 5-2 in Nationals last 7 on grass.
                          • Under is 14-6 in Nationals last 20 vs. a team with a winning record.
                          San Francisco
                          • Under is 4-0 in Giants last 4 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
                          • Under is 4-0 in Giants last 4 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Under is 5-0 in Giants last 5 during game 3 of a series.
                          • Under is 5-0 in Giants last 5 vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Under is 8-1 in Giants last 9 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Under is 5-1 in Giants last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                          • Under is 4-1 in Giants last 5 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                          • Under is 4-1 in Giants last 5 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                          • Under is 6-2 in Giants last 8 overall.
                          • Under is 6-2 in Giants last 8 on grass.
                          • Under is 5-2 in Giants last 7 home games.
                          • Under is 5-2 in Giants last 7 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                          • Over is 7-3 in Giants last 10 Saturday games.
                          • Over is 5-1 in Peavys last 6 starts vs. National League East.
                          • Under is 4-1 in Peavys last 5 Saturday starts.
                          • Under is 4-1-1 in Peavys last 6 starts during game 3 of a series.
                          • Under is 3-1-1 in Peavys last 5 starts on grass.
                          • Under is 3-1-1 in Peavys last 5 starts overall.
                          • Under is 5-2-1 in Peavys last 8 starts with 4 days of rest.
                          Head to Head

• Under is 10-3 in the last 13 meetings.
                          • Under is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings in San Francisco.
                          • Nationals are 2-5 in the last 7 meetings in San Francisco.
                          Umpire Trends - Chad Fairchild

• Giants are 4-0 in their last 4 games with Fairchild behind home plate.
                          • Road team is 4-0 in Fairchilds last 4 games behind home plate vs. San Francisco.
                          • Under is 4-0 in Fairchilds last 4 Saturday games behind home plate vs. Washington.
                          • Under is 7-1 in Fairchilds last 8 Saturday games behind home plate.
                          • Over is 5-1 in Fairchilds last 6 games behind home plate vs. San Francisco.
                          • Under is 10-3-1 in Fairchilds last 14 games behind home plate vs. Washington.
                          • Home team is 21-7 in Fairchilds last 28 Saturday games behind home plate.
                          • Home team is 11-4 in Fairchilds last 15 games behind home plate vs. Washington.

Comment

Preview: Yankees at Rays

Current Conditions - St. Petersburg

Clear 82 °F
                            Wind: N 0.0
                            5-Day Forecast
                            GAME: New York Yankees (52-50) at Tampa Bay Rays (40-61)
                            DATE/TIME: Saturday, July 30 - 6:10 PM EST
                            WHERE: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida

The Tampa Bay Rays finally found some offense to go along with a solid stretch of pitching en route to winning the series opener versus the visiting New York Yankees. After scoring more than three runs for the first time in six outings, the Rays look to continue a rare bit of positive momentum on Saturday when they bid for a series victory against their American League East rival.

Tampa Bay's 5-1 victory on Friday was just its second win in six outings, although the club has outscored the opposition by a 15-13 mark in that stretch. Evan Longoria drove in a run with a double for his 16th hit and 11th RBI in his last 11 games. While the Rays have long since made themselves comfortable in the cellar, New York had been making a quiet charge with wins in eight of 10 before dropping its last two contests. Veteran Mark Teixeira has shown flashes at the plate with an RBI single on Friday for his sixth hit in as many games, but he is just 2-for-11 in his career against Saturday starter Drew Smyly.

TV: 6:10 p.m. ET, YES (New York), FSN Sun (Tampa Bay)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Yankees RH Nathan Eovaldi (9-6, 4.80) vs. Rays LH Drew Smyly (2-11, 5.42)

Eovaldi has shown a spark since returning to the rotation, allowing a total of three runs on 11 hits in 12 innings to pick up a pair of victories. The 26-year-old struck out six batters in 6 2/3 innings in a 5-2 win over San Francisco on Sunday and has fanned 20 in three career outings versus Tampa Bay. Eovaldi improved to 1-2 versus the Rays on May 29 after permitting just one run on six hits in as many innings of a 2-1 triumph.

Smyly simply can't buy a break as the 27-year-old was in line for his first win since May 16 before the bullpen failed to hold the lead in a 4-3 setback at Oakland. One of Smyly's two victories this season came at the expense of New York, against which he permitted one run on six hits in seven innings during an 8-1 rout at Yankee Stadium. Smyly routinely has handcuffed New York in his career, posting a 2-0 mark with one save and a 1.71 ERA while limiting the club to a .168 batting average.

WALK-OFFS

1. New York DH Alex Rodriguez could get the nod on Saturday after being held out of the starting lineup in six consecutive games, according to manager Joe Girardi.

2. Tampa Bay SS Brad Miller has recorded back-to-back multi-hit performances and four in his last eight outings.

3. Yankees 2B Starlin Castro is just 3-for-23 in his last six contests.

PREDICTION: Yankees 4, Rays 2

Comment

Trends - NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
                              W/L Trends

NY Yankees
                              • Yankees are 9-1 in their last 10 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Yankees are 6-1 in their last 7 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Yankees are 4-1 in their last 5 games vs. a left-handed starter.
                              • Yankees are 4-1 in their last 5 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Yankees are 7-2 in their last 9 games following a loss.
                              • Yankees are 5-2 in their last 7 after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Yankees are 1-4 in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
                              • Yankees are 0-4 in their last 4 games on astroturf.
                              • Yankees are 13-3 in Eovaldis last 16 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance.
                              • Yankees are 4-1 in Eovaldis last 5 starts vs. American League East.
                              • Yankees are 4-1 in Eovaldis last 5 Saturday starts.
                              • Yankees are 8-3 in Eovaldis last 11 starts after allowing 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Yankees are 0-4 in Eovaldis last 4 road starts.
                              • Yankees are 0-4 in Eovaldis last 4 starts vs. a team with a losing record.
                              Tampa Bay
                              • Rays are 20-42 in their last 62 overall.
                              • Rays are 17-41 in their last 58 vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Rays are 8-20 in their last 28 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                              • Rays are 2-5 in their last 7 when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Rays are 4-11 in their last 15 vs. American League East.
                              • Rays are 3-9 in their last 12 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                              • Rays are 2-6 in their last 8 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Rays are 2-6 in their last 8 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Rays are 3-9 in their last 12 games on astroturf.
                              • Rays are 3-9 in their last 12 home games.
                              • Rays are 6-24 in their last 30 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                              • Rays are 2-9 in their last 11 during game 2 of a series.
                              • Rays are 0-8 in their last 8 Saturday games.
                              • Rays are 0-4 in their last 4 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                              • Rays are 12-5 in Smylys last 17 starts vs. American League East.
                              • Rays are 2-6 in Smylys last 8 home starts.
                              • Rays are 1-4 in Smylys last 5 starts during game 2 of a series.
                              • Rays are 1-6 in Smylys last 7 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Rays are 0-4 in Smylys last 4 starts when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Rays are 0-7 in Smylys last 7 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                              • Rays are 0-4 in Smylys last 4 starts after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Rays are 0-6 in Smylys last 6 starts.
                              OU Trends

NY Yankees
                              • Under is 4-0 in Yankees last 4 when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Under is 5-0 in Yankees last 5 games following a loss.
                              • Under is 4-0 in Yankees last 4 games vs. a left-handed starter.
                              • Under is 6-1 in Yankees last 7 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                              • Under is 5-1 in Yankees last 6 after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Under is 5-1 in Yankees last 6 when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Under is 13-3 in Yankees last 16 overall.
                              • Under is 4-1 in Yankees last 5 Saturday games.
                              • Under is 20-6 in Yankees last 26 on astroturf.
                              • Over is 5-2 in Yankees last 7 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
                              • Under is 47-20-2 in Yankees last 69 vs. American League East.
                              • Over is 11-5-1 in Yankees last 17 road games.
                              • Over is 11-5-1 in Yankees last 17 games vs. a team with a winning % below .400.
                              • Over is 4-0 in Eovaldis last 4 road starts.
                              • Under is 4-1 in Eovaldis last 5 starts during game 2 of a series.
                              • Over is 4-1 in Eovaldis last 5 starts vs. a team with a losing record.
                              • Under is 4-1 in Eovaldis last 5 starts when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Over is 9-3 in Eovaldis last 12 road starts vs. a team with a losing record.
                              • Under is 11-4 in Eovaldis last 15 starts after scoring 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Under is 10-4 in Eovaldis last 14 starts vs. American League East.
                              • Over is 5-2 in Eovaldis last 7 starts when their opponent scores 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              Tampa Bay
                              • Under is 5-0-1 in Rays last 6 on astroturf.
                              • Under is 4-0 in Rays last 4 Saturday games.
                              • Under is 6-0 in Rays last 6 home games vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Under is 5-0-1 in Rays last 6 home games.
                              • Under is 6-0 in Rays last 6 vs. American League East.
                              • Under is 5-0 in Rays last 5 during game 2 of a series.
                              • Under is 10-1 in Rays last 11 vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Under is 13-3-1 in Rays last 17 games vs. a right-handed starter.
                              • Under is 16-4-2 in Rays last 22 overall.
                              • Under is 20-6-1 in Rays last 27 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
                              • Over is 10-3-2 in Rays last 15 after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Over is 6-2-2 in Rays last 10 after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Over is 6-2-1 in Rays last 9 games following a win.
                              • Over is 11-4-2 in Rays last 17 when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Under is 24-9-2 in Rays last 35 home games vs. a right-handed starter.
                              • Under is 18-7-1 in Rays last 26 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
                              • Under is 3-0-1 in Smylys last 4 Saturday starts.
                              • Under is 3-0-1 in Smylys last 4 starts after allowing 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Under is 3-0-1 in Smylys last 4 starts when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.
                              • Over is 2-0-2 in Smylys last 4 starts after scoring 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Over is 8-1-1 in Smylys last 10 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
                              • Over is 8-1-1 in Smylys last 10 starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Over is 5-1-2 in Smylys last 8 starts when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
                              • Over is 5-1-1 in Smylys last 7 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
                              • Over is 9-2-3 in Smylys last 14 starts overall.
                              • Over is 4-1 in Smylys last 5 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance.
                              • Over is 4-1-1 in Smylys last 6 starts on astroturf.
                              • Over is 4-1-1 in Smylys last 6 starts during game 2 of a series.
                              • Over is 3-1-1 in Smylys last 5 home starts.
                              Head to Head

• Under is 8-2 in the last 10 meetings in Tampa Bay.
                              • Under is 15-6-2 in the last 23 meetings.
                              Umpire Trends - Jeff Nelson

• Yankees are 7-1 in their last 8 games with Nelson behind home plate.
                              • Road team is 7-1 in Nelsons last 8 games behind home plate vs. New York.
                              • Home team is 5-1 in Nelsons last 6 games behind home plate vs. Tampa Bay.
                              • Road team is 4-1 in Nelsons last 5 Saturday games behind home plate vs. New York.
                              • Under is 9-3-1 in Nelsons last 13 Saturday games behind home plate.
                              • Over is 10-4-2 in Nelsons last 16 games behind home plate vs. New York.
                              • Home team is 11-5 in Nelsons last 16 Saturday games behind home plate.
                              • Rays are 1-4 in their last 5 games with Nelson behind home plate.

Comment

Preview: Phillies at Braves

Current Conditions - Atlanta

Cloudy 77 °F
                                Wind: SSW 11.5
                                5-Day Forecast
                                GAME: Philadelphia Phillies (47-58) at Atlanta Braves (36-67)
                                DATE/TIME: Saturday, July 30 - 7:10 PM EST
                                WHERE: Turner Field, Atlanta, Georgia

Julio Teheran takes the mound for the Atlanta Braves when they host the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday, a welcomed sight after the team’s lone All-Star left his last start eight days ago with right lat tightness. Teheran has just three victories on the season but has received the lowest run support among all qualified starters (2.5 per start), and the Braves have stated repeatedly they will not deal their ace in advance of Monday’s trade deadline.

The Braves have struggled scoring and most of their wins have come by slim margins, as 21 of the team’s 36 victories were by two runs or fewer. Atlanta’s 2-1 victory Friday snapped a five-game losing streak to the Phillies, who lost for the ninth time in 13 games and mustered just five hits after averaging nine hits per game over their previous seven contests. The Phillies have averaged nine runners left on base in their past eight games and left 10 on base Friday. Ryan Howard’s pinch-hit double in the ninth improved his career average against the Braves to .280 and he boasts 51 homers in 177 career games against Atlanta.

TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, NBC 10 (Philadelphia), FSN South (Atlanta)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Phillies RH Jeremy Hellickson (7-7, 3.65 ERA) vs. Braves RH Julio Teheran (3-8, 2.71)

Hellickson’s name has been mentioned in trade rumors leading up to Monday’s deadline and the 29-year-old has provided veteran stability to Philadelphia’s youthful rotation. He is 3-1 with a 1.89 ERA in his past six outings, including a no-decision July 6 against the Braves in which he allowed only one earned run in six innings. Hellickson, who throws his changeup and curveball a combined 43.2 percent of the time to go with a low 90s fastball, is averaging 7.66 strikeouts and 2.01 walks per nine innings -- his best numbers in both categories since 2010.

Odds are Teheran will not reach double-digit victories (which he has achieved in each of the past three seasons), but the 25-year-old continues establishing himself as one of the top hurlers in the National League. Teheran has not surrendered more than three runs or five hits in 13 of his past 15 starts, but is just 3-5 in that stretch despite a 2.15 ERA and a .188 opponents’ batting average. The biggest issue for Teheran this season has been home runs – he has allowed 16 in 20 starts, including nine in his past nine outings.

WALK-OFFS

1. One night after going 3-for-4 in his season debut, Philadelphia RF Aaron Altherr went 0-for-4 with a strikeout Friday.

2. Atlanta CF Ender Inciarte extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a 1-for-4 performance, and has recorded at least one hit in 16 of his past 17 contests.

3. Braves RF Nick Markakis went 3-for-3 Friday, and is hitting .347 in his past 14 games.

PREDICTION: Braves 3, Phillies 2

Comment

Working...
                                X