X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Betting Info. 7/19

StatFox Super Situations

MLB | MILWAUKEE at PITTSBURGH
    Play On - Home teams when the money line is +125 to -125 (PITTSBURGH) cold hitting team - batting .225 or worse over their last 5 games against opponent with a hot starting pitcher- WHIP <= 1.000 over his last 5 starts
    98-59 over the last 5 seasons. ( 62.4% | 41.3 units )
    4-3 this year. ( 57.1% | 1.0 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | TEXAS at LA ANGELS
    TEXAS is 145-115 (+54.1 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
    The average score was: TEXAS (4.7) , OPPONENT (4.6)

Re: MLB Betting Info. 7/19

MLB roundup: Upton belts 200th homer in Tigers win
    The Sports Xchange

DETROIT -- Matt Boyd pitched six scoreless innings to collect his first victory this season and Justin Upton ripped his 200th career homer, lifting the Detroit Tigers past the Minnesota Twins 1-0 on Monday at Comerica Park.
    Making his seventh start, Boyd (1-2) allowed only three hits and one walk while tying his career high with seven strikeouts. Boyd retired the last seven batters he faced and finished with a flourish in the sixth, striking out Miguel Sano and Brian Dozier after snaring a Joe Mauer line drive.
    Upton's second-inning shot down the left-field line was all that Boyd and three Detroit relievers would need against the downtrodden Twins. Upton, who was stuck on 199 home runs since July 7, had two of Detroit's three hits. Francisco Rodriguez finished up to notch his 26th save.

Cubs 5, Mets 1
    CHICAGO -- Jon Lester returned to late spring form while Anthony Rizzo clubbed his 22nd home run of the season as Chicago beat New York.
    Lester (10-4) picked up his first victory since June 18 with an efficient 7 2/3-inning outing to open the three-game Wrigley Field series.
    Cubs closer Hector Rondon faced one batter in the ninth to earn his 16th save as Travis d'Arnaud grounded into a game-ending double play.

Yankees 2, Orioles 1
    NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez hit his first home run in a month, Ivan Nova pitched six effective innings and New York opened a four-game series against Baltimore with a victory.
    Rodriguez started for the fourth straight game after ending the first half as a part-time player against left-handed pitching and homered in his first at-bat against Kevin Gauman (1-7). It was Rodriguez's first home run since June 18 in Minnesota and the 696th of his career.
    The 40-year-old's ninth home run came after Ivan Nova (7-5) left the bases loaded in the first and stranded the leadoff hitter in the second. Nova allowed one run and four hits after struggling through the early portions of the game but gave the Yankees six innings for the first time in six starts.

Marlins 3, Phillies 2
    PHILADELPHIA -- Martin Prado led off the top of the 11th inning with a home run as Miami beat Philadelphia.
    The Marlins, who scored twice in the ninth off Phillies closer Jeanmar Gomez to tie it, won for the sixth time in seven games.
    Tommy Joseph homered for the Phillies, who lost for the third time in four games.

Reds 8, Braves 2
    CINCINNATI -- Joey Votto and Eugenio Suarez each hit two-run homers, and Zack Cozart added a solo shot, lifting Cincinnati to a victory over Atlanta in the opener of a three-game series at Great American Ball Park.
    The Braves fell to 19-31 all-time at Great American Ball Park while falling for the fifth time in their past six there.
    Billy Hamilton, who scored the winning run on a passed ball in the bottom of the ninth inning Sunday, caused havoc on the basepaths again Monday. The Reds center fielder singled three times, stole three bases (giving him 27 thefts on the season) and scored twice.

Cardinals 10, Padres 2
    ST. LOUIS -- A close game through 5 1/2 innings turned into a blowout in an instant. Scoring four runs in the sixth and three more in the seventh, St. Louis routed San Diego at Busch Stadium.
    The key hit occurred when pinch-hitter Matt Adams, who was batting for pinch-hitter Michael McKenry after San Diego removed starter Christian Friedrich for Carlos Villanueva, lined a 3-2 pitch up the gap in left-center, scoring Jedd Gyorko and Greg Garcia for a 4-1 lead.
    Aledmys Diaz followed with a two-out RBI triple and Stephen Piscotty tacked on a run-scoring single to make it 6-1. Randal Grichuk and Gyorko belted back-to-back homers in the seventh for a 9-2 advantage and Piscotty capped the scoring in the eighth with a 439-foot homer to the third deck in left field.

Rockies 7, Rays 4
    DENVER -- Manager Walt Weiss was pleased when Colorado beat Tampa Bay, as relievers Adam Ottavino in the seventh and Jason Motte in the eighth stranded the tying run at third base.
    The Rockies, who are on the fringe of the National League wild-card race, have won three of four and the Rays have lost three of four since the All-Star break. The downtrodden Rays fell for the 25th time in 29 games.
    The Rockies play seven games this week at Coors Field, against the Rays and lowly Atlanta Braves, before their schedule gets very challenging. A seven-game trip to face the Baltimore Orioles and New York Mets after this homestand starts a stretch in which 29 of the Rockies' 35 games will be against teams with winning records.

Mariners 4, White Sox 3
    SEATTLE -- Adam Lind spoiled Chicago starter Chris Sale's latest gem with a three-run, walk-off home run off White Sox closer David Robertson in the bottom of the ninth inning to give Seattle a win.
    Sale threw eight shutout innings and the White Sox bats finally came alive, but it wasn't enough on a night when Seattle scored four runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.
    After Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager drove in Seattle's first run of the game with a two-out RBI single off Robertson, Lind came on to pinch-hit and delivered his second walk-off homer of the season. He hit an 0-1 pitch from Robertson (0-2) into the right-field seats to spoil Sale's bid to become the first 15-game winner in the majors this season.

Royals 7, Indians 3
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Christian Colon tied the game with an eighth-inning, pinch-hit double, and Jarrod Dyson capped off the seven-run frame with a grand slam as Kansas City topped Cleveland.
    The Indians took a 2-0 lead into the eighth, but starter Corey Kluber left before the inning began due to a right leg cramp.
    Cleveland relievers Bryan Shaw (1-4) and Jeff Manship promptly surrendered seven runs as the Royals sent 10 men to the plate.

Comment

Graveman pitches Athletics to win over Astros
      By Eric Gilmore, The Sports Xchange

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Houston Astros had to know what was coming when Oakland A's right-hander Kendall Graveman took the mound Monday night at the Oakland Coliseum.
      Nine days earlier in his previous start, Graveman challenged the Astros with a heavy dose of mid-90s sinkerballs and held them to two runs over eight innings in a 3-2 A's victory in Houston.
      Graveman followed the same game plan Monday and extended his winning streak to a career-high five games with a 7-4 victory against the Astros.
      Graveman (6-6) allowed three runs -- only two of them earned -- struck out five, walked one and threw a career-high 112 pitches. He went 1-6 with a 5.36 ERA over his first nine starts before going 5-0 with a 3.29 ERA in his past nine.
      What's been the difference?
      "Confidence in the sinker," Graveman said. "I think you can tell that, everybody can tell, 'Hey, he's going to throw the sinker, he's going to throw it on both sides of the plate.' And confidence in it means I'm locating it better.
      "I think that's been the biggest key right now. I'm locating the sinker. It has a little more velocity and it still has good movement. I think that's been able to get me deep in ballgames, early outs and get double plays when I needs to."
      Graveman had plenty of offensive support. Yonder Alonso drove in a season-high-tying three runs, while Khris Davis hit his 23rd home run of the season and fourth in four games.
      Alonso went 2-for-4 with a two-run double and scored a run. Marcus Semien had two hits in three at-bats and scored twice. Stephen Vogt went 2-for-4 with a double and a run, and rookie Ryon Healy had an RBI double and scored a run.
      Astros right-hander Mike Fiers (6-4) had his second straight rough start as his three-game winning streak ended. He gave up six runs on five hits over 3 2/3 innings. Fiers struck out five, walked two and threw two wild pitches.
      When he came out of the game Monday, an angry Fiers threw a fit in the dugout and had words with manager A.J. Hinch. Then in the top of the fifth, Carlos Gomez confronted Fiers in the dugout, as pitcher Doug Fister stepped in between them.
      "Being a competitive person out there I want to stay in the game as long as I can," Fiers said. "He just had to do his job and I wasn't doing mine so he had to take me out, and I'm never going to be happy with being taken out of a game, so we had a couple words here and there, but we smoothed it over."
      Fiers said Gomez took exception to his outburst in the dugout.
      "He's one of the leaders of the team," Fiers said. "He doesn't want to see that. I can't show that much emotion in the dugout, so he was just letting me know that if I had to say something or act, take it inside and do it without anybody watching, which he's right. I think my emotions got the best of me."
      Marwin Gonzalez hit a solo home run in the fifth inning for the Astros. Carlos Correa doubled twice, drove in a run and scored once. Jose Altuve went 2-for-4 and scored a run in the eighth, after Graveman was gone.
      "We were trying to get the fastball up," Hinch said. "He's got a good arm and for whatever reason he's got a little bit of our kryptonite. He's done a good job against us of moving pitches around. He's got a lot of movement on his pitches and he attacks out strike zone and gets us in swing mode. We pound the ball into the ground quite a bit."
      A's right-hander Ryan Dull gave up two hits and a run in the eighth as his scoreless streak ended at 11 1/3 innings. Ryan Madson pitched a scoreless ninth for his 20th save.
      Oakland trailed 2-1 entering the bottom of the fourth but scored five times to take a 6-2 lead. Vogt doubled to left with two outs and nobody on then moved to third on a wild pitch. Semien walked and stole second. Alonso brought them both home with a single to center and scored on Ryon Healy's double to right-center.
      After Fiers walked Coco Crisp, right-hander Michael Feliz walked Jed Lowrie, loading the bases. Feliz then walked Josh Reddick and Danny Valenzuela, forcing in two runs.
      "Making them throw strikes is important and not chasing as hitters," Davis said. "When we chase, usually good things don't happen, but those walks just turn the lineup over and get us more opportunities to get runs in."
      NOTES: LHP Dillon Overton will be recalled from Triple-A Nashville on Tuesday and start for Oakland against the Astros. Overton went 1-1 with an 11.42 ERA in his first two major league starts in June. He is 10-4 in Triple-A. ... A's RHP Andrew Triggs, who was hit by a line drive in his left calf against Toronto on Sunday, was not available to pitch Monday. Triggs had his injured calf wrapped and was limping in the clubhouse. The A's will need to make a corresponding move Tuesday when Overton is activated, and Triggs is an obvious candidate for the DL. ... Astros 2B Jose Altuve played in his 183rd consecutive game, the longest current streak in the major leagues.

Comment

Preview: Marlins (50-43) at Phillies (43-50)

Game: 2
        Venue: Citizens Bank Park
        Date: July 18, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA -- The Miami Marlins recorded an uplifting victory Monday against the Philadelphia Phillies, but manager Don Mattingly was not about to get too carried away afterward.
        They beat the Phillies 3-2 on Martin Prado's leadoff homer off reliever Brett Oberholtzer in the 11th inning, after tying the game with two runs off Philadelphia closer Jeanmar Gomez in the ninth.
        The Marlins had been 0-40 this season when trailing after eight innings, so Prado was moved to call the victory "significant."
        Teammate Christian Yelich, who had an RBI double in the ninth, did not disagree.
        "You kind of feel like you stole that one," he said.
        The victory was the sixth in seven games for the Marlins (50-42), who hold a one-game lead over the New York Mets in the battle for the National League's second wild-card berth.
        "Obviously," Mattingly said, "these guys are playing until that last out."
        At the same time, he did not wish to attach as much importance to Monday's result as Prado did.
        "To be able to win some important games is good for the club, because you keep sustaining, but then tomorrow's another day," Mattingly said. "Three days from now if you lose three in a row, this win means nothing."
        The Marlins will try to keep the ball rolling in the second game of a four-game series Tuesday night, when they send young right-hander Jose Urena to the mound against Vince Velasquez (8-2, 3.32).
        Urena was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans after Monday's game. He went 1-1 with a 7.52 ERA in 16 relief appearances for the Marlins earlier this season, and was 1-3 with a 3.99 in 10 minor league starts. He has fashioned a 2.25 ERA in four career relief appearances against the Phillies.
        Velasquez has won his last three starts, beating Colorado 5-3 his last time out. He went six innings in that one, allowing two runs on eight hits while striking out six and walking two.
        "I'll take it," he said when asked about the first half of the season after that game, according to Major League Baseball's official web site. "Everyone has their ups and downs. You're not going to be perfect all the way through."
        The 24-year-old Velasquez started off the season strong, then went on the disabled list in June with right biceps tendinitis. He has not gone more than six innings in the three starts he has made since returning, as the Phillies continue in their attempts to rebuild their rotation with young pitchers.
        One of them, 23-year-old Aaron Nola, made his first start since July 2 Monday, throwing six shutout innings before departing. He had been held out in an attempt to regain his form after a five-start stretch in which he went 0-4 with a 13.50 ERA.
        Manager Pete Mackanin called Monday's start "very encouraging," but was less enthused about an offense that produced four hits and struck out 16 times, 14 of those coming against Miami All-Star Jose Fernandez.
        "I don't care who is pitching," he said. "That's too many."
        The Phillies, who entered Monday's games with a major league-worst .222 batting average at home, also managed just a single hit against the New York Mets' Jacob deGrom in a 5-0 loss Sunday.

Comment

Preview: Brewers at Pirates

Game: 1
          Date: July 19, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH -- The Milwaukee Brewers and Pittsburgh Pirates will get a heavy dose of each other the rest of the way, starting Tuesday when the National League Central teams face off in PNC Park.
          The clubs have met just three times this season, with Pittsburgh taking two of three in a home series April 15-17. Tuesday's game will be the first of 16 remaining games between them.
          "We definitely have a lot of Pirates and Cubs in the second half," Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. "Division games in general, there are less unknowns. There is familiarity. It really becomes more of a game between the hitter and pitcher. It becomes more of a cat-and-mouse game."
          Both clubs had Monday off and are coming off of one-run games Sunday, but the results were strikingly different.
          Pittsburgh recorded a stamina-testing, character-defining 2-1 win at Washington on Starling Marte's 18th-inning home run. The Pirates blew a 1-0 lead when they were a strike away from a win in the ninth.
          "I love the grit of our club," Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said. "I don't know if a game like this builds character, but it reveals character."
          The Pirates can only hope that character translates to more offense as they open an eight-game homestand. In their three games at Washington -- counting innings, the equivalent of four games -- they managed just three runs.
          Milwaukee, by comparison, scored 13 runs in its weekend series at Cincinnati. The problem was, they all came in the first two games. On Sunday, the Brewers lost a heartbreaking 1-0 game with the winning run coming on a walk-off passed ball by catcher Jonathan Lucroy with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.
          That ending might have masked the fact that Milwaukee's offense suddenly dried up.
          "Offensively, we had six baserunners (total)," Counsell said. "We didn't really have a rally. Six baserunners. It's tough to score right there."
          On Tuesday, Milwaukee right-hander Chase Anderson (4-10, 5.44 ERA) and Pittsburgh rookie right-hander Jameson Taillon (2-1, 3.86 ERA) will each be starting for the first time since the All-Star break.
          For Anderson, it will be his third start since the Brewers skipped his spot in the rotation in late June.
          "We put together a plan where Chase would be the guy that gets a break," Counsell said at that time. "We decided he was a good guy to get a break."
          Anderson understood.
          "They're looking out for my career," he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel then. "I appreciate that."
          Unfortunately for him and the Brewers, it hasn't seemed to help.
          Anderson's last start, July 9 against the Cardinals, continued a trend he no doubt would like to end. He gave up two runs on four hits over four innings in an 8-1 loss. He struck out five, but he also walked a career-high five and gave up a home run.
          Anderson is 0-4 with a 9.61 ERA over his past five starts, none of them quality starts, and he is averaging just five innings per start.
          Anderson has not faced the Pirates in his first season with the Brewers, but he is 0-1 with a 5.65 ERA in three career starts against Pittsburgh.
          Taillon, meanwhile, will come off of the disabled list to start Tuesday, marking a change that was announced Sunday. Originally, Jeff Locke was scheduled to start, but Locke will now go on Wednesday.
          Taillon, who will face Milwaukee for the first time, could be stepping into a regular role in the five-man rotation. He has been out since June 30 due to right shoulder fatigue.

Comment

Preview: Dodgers at Nationals

WASHINGTON -- It will be a contrast in starting pitchers when the Los Angeles Dodgers begin a three-game series against the Washington Nationals on Tuesday.
            Veteran lefty Scott Kazmir (7-3, 4.52) is scheduled to make the start for the Dodgers while hard-throwing Reynaldo Lopez, who appeared in the Futures Game in San Diego, is slated to make his big league debut for the Nationals.
            Lopez, 22, will take the spot in the rotation of Joe Ross, who has been on the disabled list since July 3 with right shoulder inflammation. The Nationals bypassed Lucas Giolito, who made his big league debut June 28 against the New York Mets, in order to give Lopez a shot.
            "Reynaldo's physical, mental and emotional development has been very impressive this year and we are excited about the strides he's made in all areas," according to Mark Scialabba, the director of player development for the Nationals.
            Lopez began the season at Double-A Harrisburg before he was promoted to Triple-A Syracuse, where he has made two starts. He is 4-5 with a 3.19 ERA in 16 minor league starts this year.
            "The improved feel and action on both his changeup and curveball have added more swings and misses to an already impressive arsenal," Scialabba said.
            Washington manager Dusty Baker said Sunday that lefty reliever Sammy Solis will go on the disabled list with right knee soreness to clear a roster spot for Lopez.
            He added that the Nationals decided to go with Lopez over Giolito, who is slated to pitch Tuesday for Syracuse, so Giolito can work on his breaking ball and command in the minors.
            He will face a Dodgers team that is 52-42 and is 5 1/2 games back of the first-place San Francisco Giants in the National League West.
            Washington (56-37) was six games ahead of the New York Mets and Miami Marlins in the National League East going into play Monday. The Nationals were off Monday while the Mets and Marlins had games against the Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies, respectively.
            The last time the two faced off in late June, the Dodgers swept the Nationals in a three game series in Los Angeles. Kazmir, who has been in the majors since 2004, spent a great deal of time in the American League, thus he has limited exposure to the Nationals.
            Kazmir holds a 1-0 record and an ERA of 4.14 over three career starts against Washington in his career.
            Washington left fielder Jayson Werth is hitting .714 with one home run in seven at-bats against Kazmir.
            Bryce Harper also has a home run against the lefty in three at-bats, and Danny Espinosa has a homer in five at-bats against Kazmir.
            The Nationals hope that infielder Daniel Murphy returns to the lineup Tuesday. He has not started the last three games due to a hamstring injury. He did hit a pinch-hit homer with two outs in the ninth Sunday to tie the game at 1-1 while the Nationals lost 2-1 in 18 innings to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
            Washington also hopes Anthony Rendon, who had the flu and missed the game Sunday, can start at third base against the Dodgers.
            The Dodgers hope to get back outfielder Joc Pederson, who has been on the disabled list with a right shoulder separation.
            And of course star lefty Clayton Kershaw is still on the disabled list for the Dodgers.
            "Clayton doesn't pitch every day," manager Dave Roberts told MLB.com after the Dodgers lost Sunday to Arizona. "Even without Clayton, we're good enough to win baseball games. We're 11-6 since he's been gone. With or without Clayton, we have to continue to get better.

Comment

Preview: Mets (49-43) at Cubs (56-36)

Venue: Wrigley Field

CHICAGO -- The New York Mets didn't bring outfielder Michael Conforto back up to ride the bench but exactly where the New York outfielder will play is still up for grabs.
              Left field is a possible spot, but the Mets won't rule out center as this week's series with the Chicago Cubs continues at Wrigley Field. But wherever he lands, he's expected to be in the lineup.
              "If you're Michael Conforto and you're sitting on the bench in the big leagues, that's not how you develop players, so he'll play," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "We need him to hit, and we need him to hit a lot."
              Conforto was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas, where he hit .344 with 15 runs scored, four doubles, two triples, three homers and 15 RBIs in 16 games.
              "They (the Las Vegas staff) told me they thought he was ready," Collins said. "The goal was to get him to swing back on plane and stay to the baseball a little bit better and get away from the pull mode. They say he was swinging great, so the powers that be said it was time."
              He started the season with the Mets and hit .222 with 10 homers and 65 RBIs before being optioned to Las Vegas on June 25.
              In a corresponding move, the Mets optioned Brandon Nimmo to Las Vegas.
              Conforto entered Monday's game as a ninth-inning pinch hitter and singled to left as he beat a Cubs shift that left the left side of the infield open.
              A lengthy All-Star game break was apparently beneficial for Tuesday's scheduled starter Noah Syndergaard (9-4, 2.56 ERA). He feeling better after suffering arm fatigue in the fifth inning of his last start on July 8.
              "The last couple of days he feels fine," Collins said. "The rest has been good for him."
              Syndergaard goes up against Cubs right-hander Jake Arrieta, the 2015 NL Cy Young Award winner who has struggled with three losses in his last four starts. He's had 10 days between starts -- a break built around the All Star game -- and feels rested.
              Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is officially gone for the season, but his 2017 prospects improved on Monday after undergoing successful surgery in St. Louis to treat a thoracic outlet syndrome injury. The surgery involved removal of a rib to ease pressure in his pitching arm.
              The nerve condition affects shoulders, the neck, arms and hands and caused numbness and discomfort in Harvey's right arm.
              Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he places no special emphasis on this series, despite a four-game Mets sweep in last year's National League Championship Series and the more recent four straight New York victories at Citi Field.
              The Cubs swept all seven regular-season games from the Mets in 2015.
              "You don't want to apply any more weight to any particular game," Maddon said. "The concept that I always try build from spring training is I want to play the same game on March 15 as we did on June 15 as we did on Oct. 15. I never want us to ever work with that dimmer switch, definitely not with an on-off switch.
              "You never want to raise and lower based on competition. Every game counts."
              The series concludes with a Wednesday day game as New York sends right-hander Bartolo Colon (8-4, 3.11) against Cubs righty Kyle Hendricks (8-6, 2.41).

Comment

Preview: Orioles (53-38) at Yankees (46-46)

Venue: Yankee Stadium

Orioles-Yankees preview
                NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees have spent more than a month depending on others to beat the Baltimore Orioles.
                On Monday, they had their first opportunity to collide head-on with the team which has held at least a share of first place in the American League East since June 5.
                In that sense, the series opener was a success as the Yankees will look to get another win over the Orioles on Tuesday night when the four-game series continues at Yankee Stadium.
                The Yankees opened the series with a 2-1 win and are 2-2 on a crucial 10-game homestand despite scoring 10 runs in 34 innings. Alex Rodriguez homered for the first time in a month, Carlos Beltran had three hits and Ivan Nova pitched six effective innings.
                "We really haven't scored a lot of runs on this home stand yet but we're 2-2," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "Hopefully we start swinging better we were swinging really good before the break, and it's important that we get a number of our guys going at once."
                New York faced the prospect of being 10 1/2 games behind the Orioles following Saturday's 5-2 loss to Boston. It gained a game Sunday with a 3-1 win, and instead of being 11 1/2 out, the Yankees enter Tuesday with a 7 1/2 game deficit and the non-waiver trade deadline less than two weeks away.
                "Every game is so important right now," Rodriguez said. "We definitely want to keep all the guys around, keep this team together. We feel like the best baseball is ahead of us."
                Since a 9-6 loss to Texas on June 27, New York's deficit has been between 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 games.
                To inch closer to the Orioles, the Yankees will turn to right-hander Nathan Eovaldi. Eovaldi has lowered his ERA to 5.11 by pitching a trio of scoreless relief outings totaling 7 2/3 innings.
                "There's no doubt he was helpful down there," Girardi said. "That's a piece we've struggled to find since June, but it wasn't necessarily hard because we think he's a starter and we're going to put him back in the rotation."
                He was moved to the bullpen to give the Yankees depth in that department and also because of recent ineffectiveness. Eovaldi is 0-4 with a 9.20 ERA in his last six starts. During that stretch, he has allowed 45 of his 104 hits.
                Eovaldi's ineffective stretch began the last time he faced the Orioles. On June 3, he did not get a decision but during New York's 6-5 loss Eovaldi allowed five runs and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings and it ended a span of five starts where the right-hander held a 2.03 ERA.
                The Orioles were without Chris Davis on Monday and their offense was held to one run for the first time since getting blanked against Seattle on May 17. Davis was under the weather with a stomach virus and was so sick he did not leave the team hotel.
                Baltimore's only offense Monday was Jonathan Schoop's 16th home run. The Orioles have a .269 team average but are hitting .206 (27-for-131) in their last four games.
                "We're giving our efforts, just coming up a little short right now." center fielder Adam Jones said.
                After Kevin Gausman allowed two runs and six hits in 6 2/3 innings, Vance Worley will get the opportunity to start Tuesday for Baltimore.
                Worley is 2-0 with a 2.87 ERA in 20 appearances and in his two starts, he has a 5.06 ERA.
                Worley's two starts took place April 10 and 15 against Tampa Bay and Texas. Since those starts he has a 2.15 ERA in his last 18 outings.
                The right-hander has made three multi-inning appearances since returning from a groin injury over two weeks ago. He threw 16 pitches during Sunday's 5-2 loss in preparation for the start.
                "We think of all our options, he was the best one and we'll see," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said. "He's certainly capable of pitching well."
                Besides Davis, Baltimore might be without Matt Wieters. Wieters stayed in Monday's game after getting hit on the right foot in the first inning, but the soreness increased and he had X-rays after the game.
                New York will likely be without Mark Teixeira. Teixeira sat out a second straight game with a sore left foot and it is unclear if he will appear in any game this series.

Comment

Preview: Braves (32-61) at Reds (35-58)

Venue: Great American Ball Park
                  Date: July 19, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

CINCINNATI -- Cody Reed is taking his lumps at the major league level, but it is all part of the process.
                  The 23-year-old Cincinnati Reds left-hander, who came into this season ranked as the second-best prospect in the organization, owns an 8.39 ERA through five starts with 23 earned runs allowed in 24 2/3 innings.
                  Some flashes of brilliance are embedded in the rust, however. Reed (0-4) has fanned 29 batters, including nine in his big league debut to become the first Reds pitcher to reach that total in his first career start since Johnny Cueto in 2008.
                  Reed was among a trio of heralded left-handed pitching prospects acquired from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for Cueto last July. On Tuesday, Reed will again search for his first win when he faces the Atlanta Braves, a club he has yet to face. Cincinnati is hoping for a more extended outing from Reed, who hasn't pitched past the fifth inning since going seven in his debut.
                  Rookie right-hander Tyrell Jenkins (0-1, 4.50 ERA) will start for Atlanta, and he will be facing the Reds for the first time. It will be Jenkins' second career start, with his other four major league appearances coming out of the bullpen this season.
                  In his only previous start, Jenkins threw 4 2/3 innings of one-run ball on July 6 at Philadelphia. He hasn't pitched since.
                  With the left-handed Reed on the mound for Cincinnati, the Braves are expected to go with Anthony Recker behind the plate. The rotation between Recker and A.J. Pierzynski is something that still is developing.
                  "We'll let Recker get the left-handers the next couple of days and see what we've got," Braves interim manager Brian Snitker said Monday. "I thought he did a good job (Sunday). He was in synch with Julio (Teheran), and he can swing the bat. They'll both play. A.J. was a big addition for us."
                  Speaking of catching, the big news Monday from the Reds' side is that Devin Mesoraco underwent surgery repair a torn labrum in his right hip. The procedure was performed in New York by hip specialist Bryan Kelly, who also repaired Mesoraco's hip impingement in June 2015.
                  Mesoraco had his second shoulder surgery after undergoing a procedure on a torn left labrum in May. He is expected to begin catching drills in mid- to late January.
                  In 2014, Mesoraco, 28, became the first Reds catcher since Hall of Famer Johnny Bench to hit 25 homers and drive in 80 runs in a season.
                  "We certainly would like him to stay healthy and keep him on the field," manager Bryan Price said. "It's always a crapshoot with any player. Hopefully, what he's doing is putting all this behind him so he can string together some healthy seasons."
                  Tucker Barnhart has been getting the bulk of the playing time with Ramon Cabrera serving as an able backup.
                  Reds first baseman Joey Votto will be looking to continue his hot streak on Tuesday after going 2-for-3 with a homer and three RBIs in an 8-2 win over the Braves in the series opener. Votto who batted only .200 in May, is off to a blistering start after the All-Star break, 8-for-15 (.533).
                  "I've had seasons where I've started off really well, poorly, everything in between," Votto said. "You have to take every challenge that comes your way. Early in the season, I struggled hitting fastballs over the plate. That's step one, and go from there.

Comment

Preview: Twins (33-59) at Tigers (49-44)

Venue: Comerica Park

DETROIT -- The firing of longtime executive Terry Ryan on Monday looms as the first of several changes in store for the woeful Minnesota Twins. A managerial switch won't be one of them.
                    Twins owner and CEO Jim Pohlad cut ties with Ryan and hired assistant GM Rob Antony to replace him on an interim basis. The news sent shockwaves through the visiting clubhouse as the Twins began a three-game road series in Detroit.
                    Ryan was the team's GM from 1994-2007, served as a special assistant for four years, then returned as the GM in November 2011. Ryan wasn't able to recapture past glory, as the team failed to make the playoffs during his second stint.
                    The Twins have been dismal virtually since Opening Day this season and dropped 26 games below .500 with a 1-0 loss on Monday night. They'll play the second game of the three-game series on Tuesday night.
                    Manager Paul Molitor received assurances from Pohlad that he'll retain his job the rest of this season and into next season, regardless of whether Antony has the interim tag removed.
                    "I'm grateful because I want to keep doing this," Molitor said. "I want to help try to be part of the solution of our team getting better and finding a way to do some things we haven't been able to do for quite a while."
                    Antony was privy to all the trade discussions that Ryan had with other GMs. Antony was given the green light by his owner to do whatever he wants to improve the team. The non-waiver trade deadline arrives on Aug. 1.
                    "They've put me in a good position," Antony said. "They're not hamstrung in any way. There are no financial problems or issues where we need to dump players or save money. We're going to have some different ideas, different approaches. ... There are some things we need to tweak."
                    There are several veterans who could be on the move, including 29-year-old left-hander Tommy Milone, the scheduled starter on Tuesday. Milone has boosted his trade value this month by winning his last two outings after failing to collect a victory in his first seven starts. He's pitched well against the Tigers in the past, going 3-1 with a 3.86 ERA in seven career outings.
                    He'll be opposed by struggling right-hander Anibal Sanchez. Detroit manager Brad Ausmus was forced to reinsert Sanchez into the rotation when Jordan Zimmermann and Daniel Norris were sidelined by injuries.
                    Sanchez, who is 5-10 with a 6.75 ERA, has lost both his July starts while surrendering 12 earned runs in 8 1/3 innings.
                    The Tigers could be in the market for another starter, even when Zimmermann and Norris come off the 15-day disabled list. By winning three of their first four games since the break, the Tigers greatly decreased the possibility of selling off assets before the trade deadline.
                    "Hopefully, we force the team's hand to be buyers. You don't want to be sellers," ace right-hander Justin Verlander said. "Obviously, we went through that last year and it was tough for everybody. It wasn't fun the last couple of months. We're a good club and we've just got to go out there and prove it."
                    The Tigers have gotten solid starting pitching in their last three victories, as well as stellar bullpen outings. They have allowed only four runs in those games.
                    "That's definitely the recipe," said left fielder Justin Upton, who provided the only offense on Monday with a solo homer. "If the starters go out and pitch six strong innings, we can put some runs on the board and our bullpen comes out sharp, we're going to have a chance to win a lot of ballgames.

Comment

Preview: Giants at Red Sox

Jake Peavy is well-versed in the challenges of winning at Fenway Park, something the San Francisco Giants have never done entering their two-game series with the Boston Red Sox.
                      Peavy, who won a World Series title with Boston in 2013, has as many victories (three) as the Giants have games played at the 104-year-old relic known as "America's Most Beloved Ballpark."
                      The majors-best Giants are entrusting their crafty 35-year-old veteran with the task of subduing the league's most prolific offense in Tuesday night's series opener in Boston.
                      San Francisco (57-36) has traveled to Fenway only once since interleague play began in 1997, enduring a three-game sweep June 15-17, 2007, during home run king Barry Bond's final season.
                      Before moving to the Bay Area, the Giants played five games at Fenway while facing the Red Sox in the 1912 World Series, which Boston won in the ballpark's inaugural season.
                      Peavy has gone 3-3 with a 4.47 ERA in 14 starts at Fenway -- his seventh-most at a single ballpark. In two seasons with the Red Sox, Peavy owns a 5-10 record with a 4.48 ERA in 30 starts.
                      This year, the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner and three-time All-Star is 5-7 with a 5.09 ERA in 18 starts. On the road, Peavy is 1-5 with a 6.64 ERA in eight starts.
                      David Ortiz is 3-for-10 with an RBI and two strikeouts while Hanley Ramirez has gone 4-for-22 with a double and an RBI against Peavy. Dustin Pedroia is 1-for-7 with a pair of RBIs.
                      The Giants are coming off a surprising three-game sweep at San Diego, where Peavy spent the first eight seasons of his career while becoming the Padres' all-time strikeouts leader.
                      Peavy was nearly called on as an emergency starter Sunday, a 5-3 defeat, as Johnny Cueto, who started last Tuesday's All-Star Game at Petco Park, dealt with an illness.
                      "I'm always looking to play," Peavy told MLB.com, after joking that he initially reacted with "straight, utter panic" to manager Bruce Bochy's request. "I got ready."
                      Peavy wasn't needed, but Cueto gave up four runs. San Francisco surrendered 16 runs -- more than it had in its previous seven games combined -- and hit .204 in the series.
                      "We've got to reboot and reset," Bochy said. "We had the right guys up there with a couple of guys on base. We just couldn't get it done."
                      Boston (51-39) is 1 1/2 games behind the first-place Baltimore Orioles in the American League East after winning two of three road games against the Yankees over the weekend. New York won the finale 3-1 Sunday.
                      "After we got through the month of June, we've been able to turn the page," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "We're going back home, where we've played particularly well of late. We're set up pretty good right now."
                      Rick Porcello (11-2, 3.66 ERA) aims to put the Red Sox in line for their fifth straight home win. Boston is 7-2 in July -- all at Fenway -- after stumbling to a 10-16 mark in June.
                      Porcello is a perfect 8-0 at home this season, but 1-1 with a 6.19 ERA in three career starts against the Giants.
                      Conor Gillaspie is 10-for-24 (.417) with a homer and six RBIs against Porcello. Denard Span is 12-for-32 (.375) with four RBIs against him, and is 16-for-53 (.302) lifetime at Fenway.
                      San Francisco and Boston split a two-game set June 7-8 at AT&T Park. The Red Sox took the opener 5-3 in 10 innings, but lost a 2-1 pitchers' duel the following day.

Comment

Preview: Padres (41-52) at Cardinals (48-44)

Venue: Busch Stadium
                        Date: July 19, 2016 8:15 PM EDT

ST. LOUIS -- Jedd Gyorko has just about chomped off the hand that once fed him.
                        The former San Diego Padre has feasted on his old team's pitching in four meetings this year, going 9-for-14 with three homers and five RBIs. He was 3-for-3 with a solo homer and two runs Monday night in the St. Louis Cardinals' 10-2 win.
                        However, Gyorko downplayed the concept of getting up a little more for games with San Diego.
                        "It's just one of those things," he said. "I'm seeing the ball well and that's what it comes down to."
                        Based on those numbers, Gyorko might be back in the lineup for Tuesday night's game, even though the Padres will trot out a right-hander in Colin Rea (5-3, 4.95). Gyorko has homered in three straight games against San Diego, making him the first St. Louis hitter to do so since Rick Ankiel went yard in four straight games from 2007-08.
                        Gyorko's homer Monday night came a pitch after Randal Grichuk belted a two-run shot, marking the ninth straight game in which the Cardinals homered. That's their longest streak since cracking homers in 11 straight games in May 2009.
                        Rea could be a candidate to make that 10 in a row. Although his nine homers in 87 innings is a respectable figure, Rea is also allowing the opponents to bat .259 and has allowed a team-high 37 walks.
                        And it's not like St. Louis needs the help. It has belted 126 homers this year, only 11 fewer than it hit all last year, and is on pace to finish with more than 200.
                        But the Cardinals are just 48-44 even though they've outscored opponents by 98 runs, in large part because of poor fielding and inconsistent pitching. However, their best starter takes the mound Tuesday night.
                        Carlos Martinez (8-6, 2.85 ERA) is coming off an 11-strikeout performance July 9 in Milwaukee that tied a career high. Martinez has been especially murderous on right-handed hitters, allowing them just one extra-base hit and limiting them to a .189 slugging percentage.
                        However, Martinez will face three powerful right-handed bats at the top of the San Diego lineup in Melvin Upton, Jr., Wil Myers and Matt Kemp, who have combined for 55 homers.
                        Kemp's fourth inning homer Monday night extended the Padres' franchise-record streak with a long ball to 16 straight games, the National League's longest since the 2010 Milwaukee Brewers homered in 16 consecutive games.
                        "With the first four guys, the ball can leave the yard at any time," San Diego manager Andy Green said.
                        But Kemp's homer was the only offensive highlight for the Padres (41-52) Monday night as they fanned 15 times. Myers punched out in all four of his at-bats, the first time in his career he's done that.
                        "I don't know about being surprised," Green said. "I mean, it's baseball. There are games during a season where you have games like that. This game is gone. I'm not happy about it.

Comment

Preview: Indians (54-38) at Royals (47-45)

Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
                          Date: July 19, 2016 8:15 PM EDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Brian Flynn will get an opportunity to fill a Kansas City Royals' gaping hole -- the No. 5 starter.
                          The Royals have tried right-handers Chris Young and Dillon Gee in that slot, but without much success. Left-hander Flynn gets his turn on Tuesday night against the division-leading Cleveland Indians.
                          "We know what we've got in Chris Young. We know what we have in Dillon Gee," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "It's just seeing what we've got in Brian Flynn. He's been throwing the ball extremely well out of the pen and we want to give him an opportunity to start.
                          "We want to see what he can do as a starter. We know where he is as a reliever. And he's put up really, really good numbers. So, we're going to find out."
                          Flynn is 1-0 with a 2.39 ERA in 13 relief appearances. He is 0-3 with a 9.00 ERA in five career starts, all with the Marlins. He has not started in the majors since Aug. 7, 2014 and threw only two-thirds of an inning in 2015 because of a left lat muscle injury.
                          "I'm ready to go," Flynn said. "I've been hopeful to get a shot at it. I feel like I can help this team as a starter. But it's been a long time especially with the injury. It's a long time since I've had a start. I've matured a lot since then, so I'm really ready for that.
                          "Not getting too caught up in the bright lights. I think my first stint up with Miami, I was a little caught up with everything. And just the biggest thing is proving to myself that I can pitch up here, my stuff plays, especially after the injury. Just getting to play, playing and enjoy it has been huge for me. Just treat it like a game and having fun."
                          He said pitching coach Dave Eiland talked to him about the start.
                          "Not a whole lot is going to change for me," Flynn said. "The first thing Dave talked to me about is I've had some success so far in the bullpen, just carry it over and take it batter-by-batter. If you start looking ahead at too many innings you won't get to the next inning."
                          He said pitching out of the bullpen "simplifies things"
                          "Breaking it down to two pitches out of the bullpen," Flynn said. "I might add some going back to starting. Knowing you can have some success on two pitches makes it easier on your life."
                          Yost said Flynn will be on a 60-to-70 pitch limit.
                          The Indians will counter with American League earned run leader Danny Salazar, who is 6-5 with a 3.71 ERA in 11 career starts against the Royals. He is 2-0 against the Royals this season, holding them two one run over 15 2/3 innings.
                          Salazar is 5-2 with a 2.66 ERA in nine road starts, holding foes to a .196 batting average.
                          The Indians lost the opener of this three-game series with the Royals sending 10 men to the plate in a seven-run eighth inning off relievers Bryan Shaw and Jeff Manship.
                          Shaw gave up hits to the first three batters he faced, including a two-run pinch double to Christian Colon, who attempted to bunt on the first two pitches.
                          "He was obviously working behind in the count," Francona said. "First hitter (Alcides Escobar) of the inning, that ball, if he lets it go, he probably gets an out. And then things, they're trying to give us an out on the bunt and he falls behind. Fall behind like that, you're just trying to get the ball over the plate and he did a nice job of pulling back and hitting one all the way to the wall that completely changed the game right there. We just couldn't stop the bleeding.

Comment

Preview: Rays (35-57) at Rockies (43-49)

Venue: Coors Field
                            Date: July 19, 2016 8:40 PM EDT

DENVER -- Corey Dickerson, a former Colorado Rockies outfielder, will try to help the Tampa Bay Rays end their road skid Tuesday when he faces his former team.
                            Tampa Bay is riding an 11-game road losing streak following a 7-4 defeat against the Rockies on Monday night. The Rays dropped a franchise-record 13 consecutive road games in 2013, and they lost 12 straight away games in 2006.
                            Dickerson, who began his career with the Rockies and was traded to the Rays on Jan. 28 in the four-play deal that brought reliever Jake McGee to Colorado, will start for the Rays. The left-handed-hitting Dickerson, who has made 27 starts in left field, one in right field and 41 at designated hitter, wasn't in Tampa Bay's lineup Monday against Rockies left-hander Tyler Anderson.
                            Dickerson pinch-hit in the eighth after Evan Longoria's leadoff triple and struck out against Jason Motte -- the first of three consecutive batters Motte fanned to preserve a 5-4 lead. Dickerson is hitless in his past 11 at-bats following a season-high six-game hitting streak during which he hit .429 with a .478 on-base percentage and a .571 slugging percentage. He was 9-for-21 with three doubles and one RBI in that span.
                            In 122 games with the Rockies at Coors Field, Dickerson hit .355 (142-for-400) with 24 homers and 78 RBIs and a .675 slugging percentage.
                            Overall, Dickerson is hitting .223 in 81 games for the Rays with 14 doubles, 13 homers and 35 RBIs. He has a .274 on-base percentage and a .438 slugging percentage.
                            "I think it's been a learning process for him," Rays manager Kevin Cash said. "I think over the last three weeks or so, he's done a nice job. He's made some adjustments. He's gotten some more hits. His average has spiked up.
                            "It's not an easy thing to do to come to a new league, especially the American League East and be in that division and learn a bunch of new pitchers. They attack you a little differently than maybe they do here in the National League. It's been a challenge for him, but we have all the confidence in the world that Corey is going to continue to have success and figure things out.
                            "(He is) much more on the upswing than not. He'll get his opportunities to hit in his old ballpark. We know he has a lot of success in this park, and hopefully we'll use it to our advantage."
                            On Tuesday, Dickerson will face Tyler Chatwood. The Colorado right-hander is 8-5 with a 3.29 ERA in 16 starts, 10 of which the Rockies have won. He will be making his third start since coming off the disabled list July 5 following a mid-back strain.
                            Chatwood pitched five innings July 5 at San Francisco, allowing three hits and two runs, one earned, in five innings but walking four and striking out four in a no-decision as the Rockies beat the Giants 7-3.
                            On July 10, Chatwood was the losing pitcher as the Rockies fell 10-3 to the Phillies. He threw five innings and gave up eight hits and four runs with three walks and two strikeouts.
                            "I just didn't have command," Chatwood said of his outing against the Phillies. "I fell behind a lot of people, so I was kind of battling myself. You're going to have games like that, and you got to get through it. I don't think I exploded in that game. I think I gave up eight singles."
                            Chatwood threw a light bullpen session when the Rockies held a workout Thursday in Atlanta, where they began play after the All-Star break. He then threw a full-go bullpen session Saturday.
                            Chatwood said he lowered his sight line in his side work and felt good about the results. That minor adjustment, Chatwood said, was made to help him get ahead in counts.
                            "That's the biggest thing," he said. "I've been falling behind. It's hard to pitch like that. You can't pitch up in the zone."
                            After undergoing his second Tommy John surgery in July 2014, Chatwood began throwing a cutter in lieu of a slider, because the former pitch puts less strain on his elbow. For the most part, Chatwood has had good results with the cutter.
                            "I felt like it's a pitch I could command pretty well (to) both sides of the plate," he said. "My last start, I didn't have command of it. I didn't throw very many for a strike. And if I did, I left it up. It was kind of getting big and (I was) not staying through it. It's hard to throw when you fall behind; it's a contact pitch. Fall behind and try to get back even (in the count) with the fastballs and they were hitting it."
                            Chatwood will be opposed by Rays rookie Blake Snell (1-4, 3.69 ERA).
                            Snell lost each of his past two starts, including a home defeat to the Los Angeles Angels in his most recent outing, when he gave up two runs on four hits in six innings on July 7. He has never faced the Rockies.
                            Chatwood is 0-1 with a 7.36 ERA in two career starts against Tampa Bay, both of them in 2011.

Comment

Preview: Blue Jays at Diamondbacks

Date: July 19, 2016 9:40 PM EDT

PHOENIX -- Twenty-eight days and 2,214 or so miles later, the Arizona Diamondbacks and Toronto Blue Jays will complete their home-and-home interleague series with a pair of games at Chase Field, starting Tuesday.
                              The teams split two contests at the Rogers Centre on June 21-22 and will play another two-game set, this time without the designated hitter.
                              Both teams have a bit of momentum going their way -- the Diamondbacks took two out of three from the Los Angeles Dodgers when play resumed after the All-Star break, with third baseman Jake Lamb supplying much of the offense and the starting pitching providing quality starts in the final two games: both victories.
                              Toronto lost two of three in Oakland over the weekend but has won seven of its last 11 to stay within close range of Baltimore and in third place in the AL East. The strong pre-break surge included a sweep of World Series champion Kansas City at the Rogers Centre.
                              Lamb will enter the series as the NL Player of the Week after his strong showing against the Dodgers, when he was 7-for-12 with two doubles, a triple, a homer and four RBIs. His RBI double with two outs in the ninth inning tied Saturday's game at 1, and he tripled and scored the winning run in the 12th inning of a 2-1 victory. With a single and a home run in his first two plate appearances of a 6-5 victory Sunday, Lamb hit for the cycle in four consecutive at-bats.
                              "He's playing with a lot of confidence," Arizona manager Chip Hale said.
                              Lamb led the National League and was second in the majors in both slugging percentage (.635) and OPS (1.015) entering the week, trailing only Boston's David Ortiz. Since 2000, Lamb was the only one of the 42 players with an OPS above .960 that did not make an All-Star team.
                              The series matches two of the top third basemen in the majors, with the Blue Jays' Josh Donaldson third in the majors in OPS and fourth in slugging.
                              The Diamondbacks are expected to recall right-hander Zack Godley from Triple-A Reno to make the start Tuesday as he fills in for Zack Greinke, who has not pitched since suffering a strained left oblique muscle while warming up for the third inning of his start against Philadelphia on June 28.
                              Greinke (10-3) has only begun playing catch at 90 feet, and the D-backs are expected to err on the side of caution before bringing him back.
                              "We should," general manager Dave Stewart said.
                              Godley (2-0) is to face right-hander Aaron Sanchez (9-1) in the opener, while Arizona left-hander Patrick Corbin is to oppose Marcus Stroman on Wednesday afternoon. Corbin gave up two runs in 6 1/3 innings in 4-2 victory in the first game of the series in Toronto on June 21
                              The Blue Jays will play their third series of the season without the DH, but it has not seemed to have hurt them. The Jays won two of three games in San Francisco from May 9-11 and swept a two-game series at Philadelphia on June 15-16. They scored 31 runs in those five games, including 20 against the Phillies.
                              Edwin Encarnacion played first base in all five games in NL parks and had three homers and eight RBIs while hitting safely in four.

Comment

Working...
                              X