MLB Betting Info. 6/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Betting Info. 6/19

Preview: Pirates (33-35) at Cubs (46-20)

Game: 3
    Venue: Wrigley Field
    Date: June 19, 2016 8:08 PM EDT

CHICAGO -- Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Jameson Taillon smiled and took a deep breath when asked about pitching in front of a national television audience Sunday night against the Chicago Cubs.

The game will mark the third career start for Taillon, a highly touted 24-year-old rookie. He is 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA after his first two starts, both of which came against the New York Mets.

"It's going to be an honor to pitch in front of that many people on national TV, but I think a lot of people maybe are going to be deflected watching the NBA Finals game," Taillon said with a grin. "That's what I'm telling myself to take some of the pressure off.

"I'm just going to go out there and do my thing. I love the big stage. I love the lights. I love the competition. So I'll try to control my emotions, and it shouldn't be too big for me. It shouldn't get too sped up or too emotional out there."

The Pirates (33-35) could use a boost from Taillon to regain traction in the National League Central. They have lost seven of eight contests against the first-place Cubs (46-20), whom they trail by 14 games.

Cubs right-hander Kyle Hendricks (4-6, 3.05 ERA) will look to continue his dominance at Wrigley Field. Hendricks is 3-1 with a 1.99 ERA in six home starts this season. He is 1-5 with a 4.36 ERA in six road starts.

A deep, powerful Cubs lineup should help Hendricks' cause. The North Siders have scored the third-most runs (354) in the majors this season, trailing only Boston (388) and St. Louis (356). The Cubs boast a 30-4 record when they score the first run of a game and are 42-3 when they finish with four or more runs.

All of that success has led some to believe the Cubs effectively could lock up the division title by midseason. But manager Joe Maddon shook his head when asked whether he hoped to increase the division lead over the Cardinals and Pirates to 15 games by a certain point on the schedule.

"It would be awesome to be able to do that, but I'm really just focused on us winning," Maddon said. "It's one of those things that if you do that, the other stuff takes care of itself. I don't look for 15 (games). I don't really think in those terms. It's about playing the Pirates."

Taillon said he felt confident despite facing an unfamiliar group of Cubs hitters.

"We don't play many Cubs affiliates coming up, but I definitely watch a lot of baseball," Taillon said. "Even when I wasn't in the big leagues, I was watching games. I've been picking some of the pitcher's brains about them, talking about the lineup, talking about some of the guys. And then of course we have a great pitching coach, brilliant catchers. They do their homework.

"So with me being the young guy, they've never seen me, I've never seen them. I'm just going to go out there and do my thing and adjust if I have to."

Comment

Nationals-Padres preview
      By Bill Center, The Sports Xchange

SAN DIEGO -- For the first two months of the season, the San Diego Padres ranked at the bottom of most major league offensive categories.
      But since the start of June, the Padres have the second leading batting average in the National League and rank among the leaders in home runs and runs scored.
      "I really believe hitting is contagious," said first baseman Wil Myers, who has led the offensive charge with nine homers in 17 games thus far in June.
      Myers, who bats second in the order, credits leadoff man Jon Jay for the Padres' change of offensive fortunes.
      "Ever since he went 9-for-10 in those back-to-back games, we've taken off," Myers said. "He got me started. I think what the leadoff hitter does affects the entire team."
      Well, Jay is hitting .366 in June to Myers' .373.
      But there is a problem. The Padres' pitching has been terrible in June and has sprung some serious leaks in the first three games against the Washington Nationals at Petco Park.
      In the Thursday opener, the Nationals hit three homers on two-strike pitches. In six different innings after an inning when the Padres scored, the Nationals scored. And half of the 18 runs scored by the Nationals in the first three games came in rallies started when Padres pitchers retired the first two hitters.
      "Those are problems," Padres manager Andy Green said. "You can't have that keep happening."
      Green said that when the Padres were facing the possibility of being swept in the four-game series against the National League East leaders. But after Saturday night's come-from-behind, 7-3 win, the Padres have a chance gain a split in Sunday's series finale -- no small feat given the fact that the Padres are a "perfect" 0-10 on Sundays thus far this season.
      This Sunday, it will be left-hander Drew Pomeranz (5-7, 2.88 ERA) pitching for the Padres against Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez (3-5, 3.96).
      Neither is at his sharpest.
      Gonzalez hasn't won a game since May 2. In four straight losses, he has allowed 21 earned runs in 22 2/3 innings.
      "I'm battling right now," Gonzalez said. "Everyone goes through stretches like this."
      And Pomeranz has seen his ERA shoot up more than a run from 1.80 in his last six starts. In his most recent outing, he allowed five runs, five hits and five walks in five innings. In his last six starts, he has given up 16 runs and 27 hits in 35 innings.
      "Hitters have changed the way they face me," Pomeranz said. "They've been laying off some really good pitches at the bottom of the zone. "It's time for me to adjust."
      Today's game will end a seven-game homestand for the Padres. The Nationals bus to Los Angeles after the game to continue a 10-game road trip at Dodger Stadium.
      "The Nationals are one of the best teams in the game right now and we've played them tough the first three games of this series," Myers said. "We were in the first two games we lost and had a good game tonight. It'd be great to close split this series before hitting the road."
      And winning on a Sunday ... finally

Comment

Nine for nine: Surprise starters cashing for MLB bettors
        By JOE FORTENBAUGH

On June 8, highly-touted 24-year-old pitching prospect Jameson Taillon made his Major League debut for the Pittsburgh Pirates in what eventually hit the box scores as a 6-5 loss to the defending National League Champion New York Mets. In that defeat, the 6-5, 240-pound righty from Lakeland, Florida surrendered just three earned runs through six credible innings of work. For all his efforts, Taillon was sent back down to the minors.

That’s not to say the Pirates weren’t impressed, because they most certainly were. There just wasn’t enough space on the 25-man roster to retain their bright young pitching star. But Taillon was called up again this past week when ace Gerrit Cole went on the disabled list with a right triceps strain and this time around he dazzled to the tune of 8.0 innings of work with just two hits and zero runs surrendered in a 4-0 win over that same New York Mets club.

The point of the story here is that the Pirates aren’t the only club in Major League Baseball that will be calling up highly-regarded pitching prospects over the next few months. In fact, several clubs will want to take a good, long look at what they have in their respective farm systems. The key, however, is to identify which of these pitchers will be able to deliver the goods at a great betting price night in and night out. But before we take a look at the prospects who could make some waves in the near future, let’s analyze nine surprising pitchers who have turned a sizeable profit through the first three months of the 2016 MLB season.

Chris Tillman, RHP, Baltimore Orioles (2.87 ERA)

Decisions: 9-1, +$883
        Overall: 12-2, +$1,065

Analysis: The Orioles have emerged victorious in ten of Tillman’s last 11 starts, with the eight-year veteran surrendering two or fewer earned runs eight times during that stretch. Tillman boasts a diverse four-pitch arsenal (four-seam fastball, changeup, slider, knuckle-curve) that devastated the Red Sox for seven full innings on June 14 (5 hits, 1 earned run, 7 Ks) en route to a 3-2 Orioles victory despite entering the game as +176 underdogs. Take note, however, that the 6-5, 200-pound righty has been listed as a favorite in eight of his last nine trips to the bump.

Next start: Sunday, June 19 vs. Toronto Blue Jays

Colby Lewis, RHP, Texas Rangers (2.81 ERA)

Decisions: 6-0, +$821
        Overall: 10-4, +$923

Analysis: Despite pitching for the A.L. West-leading Texas Rangers, Lewis has taken the mound as an underdog in six of his last seven starts, delivering a tremendous return on investment in the process. His latest gem came in the form of a complete game, two-hit masterpiece in Oakland on Thursday where the 36-year-old took a no-hitter into the ninth inning before surrendering a lone run in a 5-1 Texas victory. After losing back-to-back Lewis starts on May 4 and May 9, the Rangers have since rattled off seven straight wins with Lewis leading the charge, a stretch that has seen the pitcher lower his ERA from 3.20 to 2.81.

Next start: Tuesday, June 21 vs. Cincinnati Reds

Michael Fulmer, RHP, Detroit Tigers (2.52 ERA)

Decisions: 7-1, +$710
        Overall: 8-1, +$860

Analysis: Since surrendering five runs on ten hits in a 9-4 loss at Cleveland on May 5, Fulmer has won six straight decisions while dropping his ERA from a lofty 6.30 to 2.52. More recently, the 23-year-old from Oklahoma City has rattled off a four-start stretch that has featured four wins, 27.1 innings pitched, nine hits and a staggering zero total earned runs. Give a large portion of the credit for that run to Fulmer’s incendiary fastball, the four-seam variety of which averages 94.4 mph with a complementary two-seamer that sits at 94.9 mph.

Josh Tomlin, RHP, Cleveland Indians (3.27 ERA)

Decisions: 8-1, +$707
        Overall: 10-2, +$805

Analysis: Tomlin has allowed more than two earned runs in an outing just four times in 12 starts this season and only once over his last six trips to the hill, which has been intriguing to most observers considering the Cleveland staff features three starters in Cy Young-winner Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar who were expected to dominate the headlines in 2016. Another big plus here is the fact that despite all his early-season success, Tomlin has still been listed as an underdog in three of his last five starts, a trend we expect to see shift in the very near future.

Next start: Monday, June 20 vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays (3.38 ERA)

Decisions: 6-1, +$486
        Overall: 8-5, +$151

Analysis: Yes, Sanchez has turned a very respectable profit in his seven decisions this season, but bettors need to be advised that the 23-year-old has been the benefactor of elite run support through the first three months of the 2016 MLB campaign, with the Blue Jays scoring seven or more runs in five of Sanchez’s last six starts. Granted, the 6-4, 220-pound righty has limited the opposition to three or fewer earned runs in seven of his last nine outings, but that explosive Toronto lineup is a big reason why Sanchez has been listed as a favorite of -140 or higher in four of his last six trips to the bump.

Rich Hill, LHP, Oakland A’s (2.25 ERA)

Decisions: 8-3, +$480
        Overall: 8-3, +$480

Analysis: Acquired on a one-year, $6 million free agent contract this past winter, Hill may go down as the best value signing of the offseason…and in classic Billy Beane/Oakland Athletics fashion, will likely be flipped at the trade deadline for prospects. The 36-year-old southpaw has enjoyed quite the renaissance in 2016 thanks to a devastating curveball that features more than eight inches of both horizontal and vertical movement. The downside here, however, is the fact that Hill is currently on the disabled list due to a groin injury and won’t resume throwing off a mound until next week at the earliest.

Next start: TBD

Tyler Chatwood, RHP, Colorado Rockies (2.89 ERA)

Decisions: 8-4, +$434
        Overall: 9-4, +$534

Analysis: Prior to the start of the season, many industry insiders considered the Rockies to be nothing more than a 70-win team at best. Yet, here we are on June 17 and Colorado resides at just one game under .500 thanks, in part, to the efforts of Chatwood, who has surrendered a grand total of just 12 earned runs over his last seven starts, with the 26-year-old winning four of his last five decisions. Credit a nasty two-seam fastball for the five-year veteran’s success, as Chatwood currently ranks first in the National League in ground ball percentage at 58.7 percent. Like they say, if the ball is on the ground, it can’t leave the yard.

Steven Wright, RHP, Boston Red Sox (2.22 ERA)

Decisions: 8-4, +$418
        Overall: 8-5, +$289

Analysis: Wright has emerged victorious in each of his last five starts while permitting two or fewer earned runs in four of those aforementioned outings. But perhaps what is more impressive is that the 31-year-old’s knuckleball has induced at least 12 ground ball outs in three of his last four trips to the hill after the four-year veteran notched just one such effort through his first nine starts of the season. Wright is coming on strong and bettors would be wise to take notice.

Next start: Monday, June 20 vs. Chicago White Sox

Christian Friedrich, LHP, San Diego Padres (2.12 ERA)

Decisions: 3-1, +$268
        Overall: 4-2, +$301

Analysis: True to form, the Padres are a dumpster fire, with two of their best pitchers (Andrew Cashner and Tyson Ross) on the disabled list unable to spray any additional gasoline on the fire. But almost too quietly, Friedrich joined the rotation in mid-May and has since proven to serve as a glimmer of hope, with six total starts featuring three or fewer earned runs surrendered. Not only that, but the 28-year-old lefty has allowed only one home run on 603 total pitches this season. The best part here? Friedrich has been listed as an underdog in five of six starts since joining the rotation.

Comment

'Rubber match'

Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles June 19, 1:55 EST

Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays conclude their three-game set with both teams having notched one victory. The Orioles will count on Chris Tillman (9-1 2.87 ERA) while the Blue Jays turn to Marcus Stroman (6-2 4.76 ERA). Oddsmakers have opened Orioles -$1.20 favorite with the total set at 9.5 runs.

Tillman in great form allowing three or fewer runs in nine of his last eleven eleven starts heads to the hill undefeated over the span (8-0) with his team 10-1 in those games. Tillman also carries a sparkling 16-2 June team start record to the mound including 9-2 TSR at Camden Yards. However, facing Blue Jays with Tillman has not been good for Orioles as they've compiled a 3-10 record his last thirteen starts. Even worse are Orioles numbers at Camden Yards where they're 1-7 with the hurler.

As for Stroman, the righthander shook off three bad starts in his last outing tossing seven innings of two run ball in a win against Phillies. Stroman knows how to follow up a strong performance with another stellar effort. In his last eight after allowing two or fewer runs, the Blue Jays are 6-2 in his subsequent appearance on the mound. Blue Jays have also made their mark facing a division opponent with Stroman. In his last sixteen starts the result has been 13 wins, 3 losses. Jays have split a pair vs Orioles this season w/stroman and are 2-2 in his four career starts vs Baltimore.

Going against Tillman at home might be considered sacrilege, but getting an underdog price on Blue Jays who have found their stroke winning seven of nine, platting 65 runs behind 103 hits, 23 long-ball is too good to pass up. Additionally, Jays are in the midst of a 17-7 spurt, 13-4 streak against the A.L. East, 7-2 stretch handing the ball to Stroman on the road.

Comment

MLB

Sunday's games

National League games

Pirates @ Cubs
            Taillon is 1-0, 1.93 in his first two MLB starts (over 1-1).

Hendricks is 0-2, 5.23 in his last two starts; under is 7-2 in his last nine.

Pirates lost 14 of their last 18 games; under is 8-4 in their last 12 road games. Chicago won ten of last 12 home games; eight of last nine Wrigley games stayed under.

Diamondbacks @ Phillies
            Bradley is 0-3, 5.19 in his last three starts (over 5-1).

Eflin allowed nine runs in 2.2 IP (77 PT) in his MLB debut.

Arizona won five of last seven games; five of their last six games stayed under total. Phillies are 1-9 in last ten games; eight of last ten Philly home games went over.

Rockies @ Marlins
            Anderson allowed one run in 6.1 IP (92 PT) in his MLB debut. .

Koehler is 3-1, 3.60 in his last four starts, three of which went over.

Rockies won six of last nine games; six of their last eight road games stayed under the total. Miami won four of last five games; over is 10-4 in their last 14 games.

Braves @ Mets
            Teheran is 1-3, 3.81 in his last four starts; seven of his last eight starts stayed under.

deGrom is 0-2, 2.42 in his last four starts, last three of which stayed under; New York scored total of two runs in his last three starts.

Braves won their last four games; eight of last ten Atlanta road games stayed under. New York lost seven of last nine home games; under is 9-4 in their last 13 games.

Nationals @ Padres
            Gonzalez is 0-4, 7.45 in his last five starts; over is 5-2-1 in his last eight.

Pomeranz is 1-3, 5.73 in his last four starts; eight of his last nine stayed under.

Washington won 10 of last 13 games; nine of their last ten road games went over the total. Padres lost seven of their last ten games; their last four games went over.

Brewers @ Dodgers
            Garza allowed one run in four IP (87 PT) in his first '16 start.

Maeda is 3-1, 2.31 in his last four starts; five of his last seven went over.

Milwaukee lost seven of last nine road games; eight of its last nine road games went over the total. Dodgers won 10 of last 13 at home; under is 7-3 in their last 10 at home.

American League games

Blue Jays @ Orioles
            Stroman is 1-1, 7.33 in his last four starts, which all went over. .

Tillman is 5-0, 2.72 in his last seven starts (under 5-2).

Toronto won eight of last 11 games; seven of their last ten games went over. Orioles won eight of last ten home games; four of their last six home games stayed under. .

White Sox @ Indians
            Rodon is 0-2, 3.71 in his last three starts; four of his last six starts went over.

Carrasco is 0-2, 3.98 in his last four starts; four of his last six went over.

White Sox lost 11 of last 13 road games; over is 18-6 in their last 24 road games. Cleveland won its last seven home games. Under is 9-4-2 in their last fifteen games.

Mariners @ Red Sox
            Walker is 1-4, 6.55 in his last six starts; three of his last four went over.

Price is 0-3, 3.13 in his last three starts; his last four starts went over.

Mariners lost six of last eight road games; over is 7-3 in their last ten road games. Boston lost six of last nine home games; over is 15-7 in their last 22 home games.

Tigers @ Royals
            Zimmerman is 4-1, 7.50 in his last five starts (over 4-0-1); Detroit scored 42 runs in those five games. .

Young is 0-3, 7.17 in his last five starts; four of his last six stayed under.

Tigers lost four of last six games; five of their last six games went over. Royals won 11of last 12 home games; their last four games went over.

Bronx @ Twins
            Eovaldi is 0-1, 9.82 in his last three starts, which all went over.

Santana is 0-5, 7.71 in his last five starts; seven of his last nine went over.

New York is 10-6 in its last 16 games; six of their last eight road games went over the total. Minnesota lost eight of its last10 games; over is 13-3 in their last 16 home games.

Angels @ A's
            Weaver is 1-3, 6.94 in his last four starts; four of his last five went over.

Surkamp is 0-4, 7.80 in seven starts; his last three starts went over.

A's lost 12 of last 15 games; under is 8-3-1 in their last 12 games. Angels lost eight of last 11 road games; over is 10-4-1 in their last fifteen games.

Interleague

Giants @ Rays
            Peavy is .2-1, 1.82 in his last four starts; five of his last seven starts stayed under.

Odorizzi is 3-1, 3.74 in his last six starts (under 9-5).

Giants won their last seven games; seven of last 11 SF road games went over. Tampa Bay lost last three games; under is 22-10 in Rays' last 32 home games.

Reds @ Astros
            Finnegan is 2-0, 1.86 in his last three starts; under is 3-1-1 in his last five.

Fiers is 1-2, 4.97 in his last five starts; three of his last four went over.

Cincinnati is 11-8 in its last 18 games, over is 10-3 in their last 13 road games. Astros won eight of last ten home games; nine of last ten Houston games stayed under.

Rangers @ Cardinals
            Perez is 5-0, 3.19 in his last five starts; under is 7-4 in his last 11. .

Leake is 5-1, 2.85 in his last seven starts; eight of his last ten went over.

Rangers are 21-6 in their last 27 games; nine of their last 13 road tilts went over. St Louis lost seven of last nine home games; their last four games stayed under.

Teams won-lost records when this pitcher starts:

Pitt-Chi-- Taillon 1-1; Hendricks 6-6
            Az-Phil-- Bradley 3-3; Eflin 0-1
            Col-Mia-- Anderson 1-0; Koehler 5-8
            Atl-NY-- Teheran 3-11; deGrom 5-6
            Mil-LA-- Garza 0-1; Maeda 7-6
            Wsh-SD-- Gonzalez 5-8; Pomeranz 5-8

Tor-Balt-- Stroman 8-6; Tillman 12-2
            Chi-Clev-- Rodon 3-9; Carrrasco 5-2
            Sea-Bos-- Walker 5-8; Price 8-6
            NY-Min-- Eovaldi 8-5; Santana 1-11
            Det-KC-- Zimmerman 9-3; Young 3-6
            LA-A's-- Weaver 5-8; Surkamp 3-4

SF-TB-- Peavy 6-7; Odorizzi 8-6
            Cin-Hst-- Finnegan 4-10; Fiers 6-6
            Tex-StL-- Perez 7-7; Leake 7-6

Starting pitchers allowing 1+ runs in first inning:

Pitt-Chi-- Taillon 0-2; Hendricks 3-12
            Az-Phil-- Bradley 2-6; Eflin 1-1
            Col-Mia-- Anderson 0-1; Koehler 4-13
            Atl-NY-- Teheran 3-14; deGrom 2-11
            Mil-LA-- Garza 0-1; Maeda 2-13
            Wsh-SD-- Gonzalez 1-13; Pomeranz 3-13

Tor-Balt-- Stroman 3-14; Tillman 2-14
            Chi-Clev-- Rodon 4-12; Carrrasco 1-7
            Sea-Bos-- Walker 2-13; Price 5-14
            NY-Min-- Eovaldi 3-13; Santana 5-12
            Det-KC-- Zimmerman 3-12; Young 5-9
            LA-A's-- Weaver 5-13; Surkamp 2-7

SF-TB-- Peavy 6-7; Odorizzi 2-14
            Cin-Hst-- Finnegan 3-14; Fiers 3-12
            Tex-StL-- Perez 5-14; Leake 3-13

Umpires

Pitt-Chi-- Six of last seven Wolf games stayed under total.
            Az-Phil-- Three of last four Hudson games went over.
            Col-Mia-- Last three Barber games stayed under total.
            Atl-NY-- Last nine Wegner games went over the total.
            Mil-LA-- Five of last six Timmons games went over.
            Wsh-SD-- Road team won four of last five Holbrook games.

Tor-Blt-- Road team won eight of last eleven Scott games.
            Chi-Clev-- Seven of last nine Woodring games went over.
            Sea-Bos-- Four of last five May games went over total.
            NY-Min-- Last six Emmel games stayed under the total.
            Det-KC-- Under is 9-4 in last thirteen Morales games.
            LA-A's-- Four of last six Lemtz games stayed under.

SF-TB-- Underdogs won four of last six Nauert games.
            Cin-Hst-- Four of last five Reyburn games stayed under.
            Tex-StL-- Six of last eight Fletcher games went over.

Comment

StatFox Super Situations

MLB | COLORADO at MIAMI
              Play On - Road teams when the money line is +125 to -125 (COLORADO) good offensive team (>=5.0 runs/game) against an average starting pitcher (ERA= 4.20 to 5.20)-NL, with an overused bullpen that pitches more than 3.2 innings per game
              66-35 since 1997. ( 65.3% | 31.9 units )
              0-2 this year. ( 0.0% | -2.3 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | DETROIT at KANSAS CITY
              DETROIT is 23-12 (+16.3 Units) against the money line in Road games in day games over the last 2 seasons.
              The average score was: DETROIT (4.9) , OPPONENT (4.5)

Comment

MLB

Sunday, June 19

Trend Report

1:10 PM
                ATLANTA vs. NY METS
                Atlanta is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
                Atlanta is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
                NY Mets are 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Atlanta
                The total has gone UNDER in 4 of NY Mets's last 5 games when playing at home against Atlanta

SAN FRANCISCO vs. TAMPA BAY
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Francisco's last 7 games when playing Tampa Bay
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Francisco's last 7 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tampa Bay's last 7 games when playing at home against San Francisco
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tampa Bay's last 7 games when playing San Francisco

CHI WHITE SOX vs. CLEVELAND
                Chi White Sox are 6-17 SU in their last 23 games
                The total has gone OVER in 14 of Chi White Sox's last 19 games on the road
                Cleveland is 5-0 SU in their last 5 games when playing Chi White Sox
                Cleveland is 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing at home against Chi White Sox

COLORADO vs. MIAMI
                Colorado is 5-11 SU in its last 16 games on the road
                Colorado is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Miami
                Miami is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Colorado
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Miami's last 7 games when playing Colorado

1:35 PM
                SEATTLE vs. BOSTON
                The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle's last 5 games when playing Boston
                The total has gone OVER in 7 of Seattle's last 10 games on the road
                Boston is 12-5 SU in its last 17 games when playing at home against Seattle
                Boston is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home

ARIZONA vs. PHILADELPHIA
                The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Arizona's last 6 games on the road
                The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Arizona's last 7 games
                The total has gone OVER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 5 games
                The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 6 games when playing at home against Arizona

TORONTO vs. BALTIMORE
                Toronto is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Baltimore
                Toronto is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Baltimore
                Baltimore is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing Toronto
                The total has gone OVER in 4 of Baltimore's last 6 games when playing Toronto

2:10 PM
                NY YANKEES vs. MINNESOTA
                NY Yankees are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Minnesota
                NY Yankees are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games when playing Minnesota
                The total has gone OVER in 7 of Minnesota's last 8 games
                The total has gone OVER in 8 of Minnesota's last 10 games when playing NY Yankees

2:10 PM
                CINCINNATI vs. HOUSTON
                The total has gone OVER in 4 of Cincinnati's last 6 games
                Cincinnati is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Houston
                Houston is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
                Houston is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing Cincinnati

2:15 PM
                TEXAS vs. ST. LOUIS
                The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Texas's last 5 games when playing St. Louis
                Texas is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
                The total has gone UNDER in 5 of St. Louis's last 6 games
                St. Louis is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games

2:15 PM
                DETROIT vs. KANSAS CITY
                The total has gone OVER in 5 of Detroit's last 6 games on the road
                Detroit is 8-17 SU in its last 25 games on the road
                Kansas City is 11-1 SU in its last 12 games at home
                The total has gone OVER in 11 of Kansas City's last 13 games when playing Detroit

4:05 PM
                LA ANGELS vs. OAKLAND
                LA Angels are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing Oakland
                The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Angels's last 5 games when playing on the road against Oakland
                Oakland is 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing LA Angels
                The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland's last 5 games when playing LA Angels

4:10 PM
                MILWAUKEE vs. LA DODGERS
                Milwaukee is 2-5 SU in their last 7 games when playing LA Dodgers
                The total has gone OVER in 7 of Milwaukee's last 9 games on the road
                The total has gone OVER in 6 of LA Dodgers's last 9 games when playing Milwaukee
                LA Dodgers are 10-3 SU in their last 13 games at home

4:40 PM
                WASHINGTON vs. SAN DIEGO
                Washington is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games when playing San Diego
                The total has gone OVER in 6 of Washington's last 7 games when playing on the road against San Diego
                The total has gone OVER in 6 of San Diego's last 7 games when playing at home against Washington
                San Diego is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games

8:08 PM
                PITTSBURGH vs. CHI CUBS
                The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh's last 9 games on the road
                Pittsburgh is 1-9 SU in their last 10 games when playing Chi Cubs
                The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Chi Cubs's last 5 games at home
                Chi Cubs are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games at home

Comment

Preview: White Sox at Indians

GAME: Chicago White Sox (33-35) at Cleveland Indians (37-30)
                  DATE/TIME: Sunday, June 19 - 1:10 PM EST
                  WHERE: Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
                  LINE: N/A TOTAL: N/A

The Cleveland Indians are taking advantage of the fading Chicago White Sox to solidify their position atop the American League Central. The Indians will try to maintain their advantage over second-place Kansas City and complete a three-game sweep when they host the White Sox in the series finale on Sunday.

Cleveland saw its grip on the Central loosen considerably with three straight losses at Kansas City this week but jumped back into the win column when Carlos Santana blasted a walk-off home run in Friday’s series opener and ensured another day in first place with a 13-2 pasting on Saturday. The outburst marked a departure for the Indians' offense, which totaled 10 runs in the previous four games. The White Sox were 13 games over .500 on May 9 but have dropped two under the even mark with the first two losses in Cleveland. James Shields, who was brought in to stabilize the rotation earlier this month, was lit up for eight runs in 1 2/3 innings on Saturday and has allowed 21 earned runs in 8 2/3 frames since joining the team.

TV: 1:10 p.m. ET, WGN (Chicago), SportsTime Ohio (Cleveland)

PITCHING MATCHUP: White Sox LH Carlos Rodon (2-6, 4.28 ERA) vs. Indians RH Carlos Carrasco (2-2, 3.40)

Rodon skipped a start due to discomfort in his neck and was solid upon his return, notching seven strikeouts while allowing two runs and seven hits in six innings against Kansas City in a 3-1 loss. The NC State product has yielded two or fewer earned runs in four of his last five starts but earned only one win in that span. Rodon never has lost to Cleveland, building up a 3-0 record with a 1.52 ERA in five games – four starts.

Carrasco has not recorded a victory in three starts since returning from the disabled list and lost the last two while allowing a total of six runs and 15 hits in 12 2/3 innings. The Venezuelan worked himself out of some trouble by notching eight strikeouts in six frames at Kansas City on Monday. Carrasco has struggled in his career against Chicago, posting a 3-8 record and 5.76 ERA in 14 games - 13 starts.

WALK-OFFS

1. White Sox 3B Todd Frazier is 0-for-19 with nine strikeouts in his last five games.

2. Cleveland 3B Juan Uribe went 3-for-5 on Saturday, recording one more hit than the total from his previous nine games this month.

3. Chicago signed first-round pick RHP Zack Burdi and has agreed to terms with 26 of its 41 selections.

PREDICTION: Indians 7, White Sox 3

Comment

Preview: Giants at Rays

GAME: San Francisco Giants (43-26) at Tampa Bay Rays (31-35)
                    WHERE: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida

The Tampa Bay Rays are suffering through an inconsistent season and look to pull out of another downswing when they host the surging San Francisco Giants on Sunday in the series finale. The Rays followed up a 2-11 stretch with nine victories in their next 11 before losing one to Seattle and the first two of an interleague set with the Giants, who are winners of seven straight.

Tampa Bay hit four homers Saturday, but coughed up a lead in the eighth inning before Joe Panik’s three-run blast in the ninth led to San Francisco’s 6-4 triumph – its third in 23 tries after trailing through seven frames. Evan Longoria hit his eighth homer in 13 games for the Rays on Saturday, but right-hander Jake Odorizzi will get the job of trying to cool off the Giants – averaging six runs during their streak. Jake Peavy goes to the mound for San Francisco, which is 21-13 on the road and boasts three winning streaks of five or more in just over a month. Buster Posey remained hot with two hits on Saturday for the Giants and is 11-for-19 during a five-game hitting streak.

TV: 1:10 p.m. ET, CSN Bay Area (San Francisco), FSN Sun (Tampa Bay)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Giants RH Jake Peavy (3-6, 5.83 ERA) vs. Rays RH Jake Odorizzi (3-3, 3.79)

Peavy has held two of his last three opponents without a run in victories, including last Sunday when he blanked the Los Angeles Dodgers over six innings on four hits. Those two efforts gave the 35-year-old his only wins in the last nine outings, but he has limited his last six opponents to 11 total runs. Longoria and Desmond Jennings own homers versus Peavy, who is 3-2 with a 4.96 ERA in eight career starts against the Rays.

Odorizzi has struggled with control lately, which has caused his pitch count to rise, and completed more than six innings just once in his last eight starts. The 26-year-old Illinois native has walked 10 batters in the last three games, but is 3-1 with a 3.74 ERA over his past six outings. Odorizzi faces San Francisco for the first time, but is 6-3 with a 3.33 ERA in 13 career interleague starts with 78 strikeouts over 75 2/3 innings.

WALK-OFFS

1. San Francisco SS Brandon Crawford has recorded eight RBIs in his last seven games, including three in the series.

2. Tampa Bay RHP Alex Colome gave up three runs in the ninth Saturday – the first he has allowed in 20 appearances.

3. Giants OF Gregor Blanco is 9-for-20 with four RBIs during a five-game hitting streak.

PREDICTION: Rays 5, Giants 3

Comment

Preview: Braves at Mets

GAME: Atlanta Braves (22-46) at New York Mets (36-31)
                      WHERE: Citi Field, New York City, New York

A three-game series against the woeful Atlanta Braves was supposed to be the easiest part of the New York Mets' eight-game homestand, but it is proving to be more than they can handle. The Braves seek a season-high fifth straight victory on Sunday as they attempt to complete a sweep of the Mets.

National League-worst Atlanta (22-46) already has clinched its first series win since taking two of three against Miami from May 27-29 and only has swept one opponent all season - downing the Marlins in three straight during a four-game winning streak from April 15-19. The Braves matched that surge with Saturday's 4-3 win in New York and are averaging 6.3 runs during their winning streak - more than double the 3.1 runs they scored over their first 64 contests. The Mets, who had won five of the first six meetings of the season prior to this series, have totaled four runs against Atlanta's young pitching staff this weekend after roughing up Pittsburgh for 17 in their final two contests of a three-game set that began the homestand. New York, which will host Kansas City for two games in a rematch of last year's World Series beginning on Tuesday, has fallen 6 1/2 games behind NL East-leading Washington after it was tied with the Nationals atop the division exactly three weeks ago.

TV: 1:10 p.m. ET, FSN South (Atlanta), WPIX (New York)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Braves RH Julio Teheran (2-7, 2.93 ERA) vs. Mets RH Jacob deGrom (3-3, 2.82)

Teheran was saddled with another hard-luck loss against Cincinnati on Tuesday despite allowing only one baserunner after the first inning, yielding three runs and three hits while fanning eight over seven frames. The 25-year-old Colombian has permitted three runs or fewer in each of his last 11 turns, yet he is only 2-5 in that stretch as the Braves have not scored more than four runs in any of his outings. Teheran gave up one hit over seven scoreless innings in a win versus the Mets last June, improving to 5-3 with a 3.06 ERA in 11 appearances (10 starts) against them.

Despite logging his sixth quality start in his last eight outings, deGrom remained winless over that time following a loss to Pittsburgh on Tuesday in which he allowed two runs while striking out nine over six innings. The Stetson product has yielded 20 total baserunners over his last three outings spanning 19 innings while striking out 28, yet he is 0-2 over that time as the Mets scored a total of two runs. The 27-year-old deGrom gave up a run over 5 2/3 frames in a victory against the Braves on April 24 and owns a 1.89 ERA versus Atlanta in six career starts.

WALK-OFFS

1. Atlanta 1B Freddie Freeman is batting .467 with six runs, seven RBIs and seven extra-base hits over his last seven games.

2. New York 1B James Loney, who went 3-for-3 on Saturday, is hitting .360 during his seven-game hitting streak and has reached base safely in 10 consecutive contests.

3. The Braves homered twice Saturday to increase their season total to 31, which is 26 fewer than any other team and 57 fewer than the Mets.

PREDICTION: Mets 4, Braves 3

Comment

Preview: Rockies at Marlins

GAME: Colorado Rockies (32-35) at Miami Marlins (36-32)
                        WHERE: Marlins Park, Miami, Florida

The Miami Marlins have a chance to move five games above .500 for the first time this season as they continue their four-game series against the visiting Colorado Rockies on Sunday afternoon. The Marlins used the long ball to erase a three-run deficit in Saturday's 9-6 victory to secure their fourth win in the last five contests.

Catcher J.T. Realmuto had four hits, including a go-ahead three-run homer, in Saturday's victory to boost his career numbers versus Colorado to 11-for-27 with two homers and seven RBIs. Slugger Giancarlo Stanton also has come alive against the Rockies, going 5-for-8 in the series after collecting four hits in his previous 37 at-bats, while Justin Bour added a two-run blast. Carlos Gonzalez is 9-for-17 during a four-game hitting streak for Colorado, which has dropped the first two games of its six-game road trip following a 6-1 stretch. Rookie Tyler Anderson will make his second career start for the Rockies on Sunday while Miami counters with Tom Koehler.

TV: 1:10 p.m. ET, ROOT (Colorado), FSN Florida (Miami)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Rockies LH Tyler Anderson (0-0, 1.42 ERA) vs. Marlins RH Tom Koehler (5-6, 4.25)

Anderson was outstanding in his major-league debut, going 6 1/3 innings and limiting San Diego to one run on six hits while striking out six batters. After being slowed by an oblique injury in spring training, the former first-round draft pick quickly progressed through three levels in the minors this season before he was summoned by the Rockies. He allowed four runs in three starts at Triple-A Albuquerque, capped by six scoreless innings in his last turn there.

Koehler recorded his fourth straight quality start -- posting a 3-1 record in that span -- while limiting San Diego to two runs on six hits and matching his season high with eight strikeouts over six innings last time out. It was the eighth consecutive outing in which Koehler permitted three runs or fewer, a stretch where's he's surrendered only one home run. The 29-year-old is unbeaten in four starts against the Rockies, posting an 2-0 record and 1.93 ERA.

WALK-OFFS

1. Marlins 2B Derek Dietrich is 5-for-8 in the series and has multiple hits in four of his last six games.

2. Rockies RHP Tyler Chatwood, who left Saturday's game in the second inning, suffered a mid-back spasm and is listed as day-to-day.

3. Marlins RHP A.J. Ramos has converted all 21 save chances.

PREDICTION: Marlins 5, Rockies 4

Comment

Preview: Diamondbacks at Phillies

GAME: Arizona Diamondbacks (31-39) at Philadelphia Phillies (30-39)
                          DATE/TIME: Sunday, June 19 - 1:35 PM EST
                          WHERE: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Paul Goldschmidt and the Arizona Diamondbacks are following a familiar script to success, and it's one that is all too familiar for the free-falling Philadelphia Phillies. After homering in back-to-back contests, Goldschmidt and the visiting Diamondbacks look to continue to ride the long ball on Sunday afternoon as they play the third contest of their four-game series versus the skidding Phillies.

Goldschmidt, who belted a two-run homer in a 4-1 win on Saturday, is 20-for-49 during his 12-game hitting streak and has reached base in a staggering 22 consecutive contests. The 28-year-old has driven in at least one run in each of his last seven outings, helping Arizona to a 5-2 mark in that stretch. The Diamondbacks have slugged nine home runs in the series while Philadelphia's troubles have been amplified by both the long ball and miscues -- it has been taken deep 20 times and committed 10 errors in the last five outings, all losses. The Phillies (30-39) have been outscored 75-28 en route to dropping nine of their last 10 contests and 22 of 28 overall, causing the team to fall from a season-best seven games over .500 on May 18 (24-17) to a campaign-worst nine games under that bar.

TV: 1:35 p.m. ET, FSN Arizona, CSN Philadelphia

PITCHING MATCHUP: Diamondbacks RH Archie Bradley (2-3, 5.66 ERA) vs. Phillies RH Zach Eflin (0-1, 27.00)

Bradley was undone by the home-run ball for the second straight outing and suffered his third consecutive loss on Tuesday after being taken deep a career-high three times in a 7-4 setback to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The 23-year-old has shown positives despite the end result, as Bradley has struck out nine in his last outing and 33 over his last four. Bradley will look to provide a bit of payback versus Philadelphia, against which he permitted four runs and three walks in just two innings to suffer his first career loss on May 16, 2015.

Eflin's major-league debut was a disastrous one as the 22-year-old allowed nine runs on as many hits in 2 2/3 innings in Tuesday's 11-3 setback to Toronto. One of the Phillies' top prospects, Eflin was taken deep on three occasions, with American League MVP Josh Donaldson's grand slam providing the fatal blow in a six-run third inning. The 6-foot-6 Eflin will look to show the form that helped him to a 5-2 mark with a 2.90 ERA and 0.88 WHIP at the time of his recall from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

WALK-OFFS

1. Arizona SS Nick Ahmed is 4-for-9 with a homer and two runs scored in this series after going 0-for-9 with three strikeouts in his previous three games.

2. Philadelphia SS Freddy Galvis' June swoon continued as he went 0-for-3 on Saturday to drop to 6-for-60 with 16 strikeouts in the month.

3. Diamondbacks 3B Jake Lamb is 9-for-23 with two homers and six RBIs in his last seven games, including 5-for-8 with one HR and two runs scored in this series.

PREDICTION: Diamondbacks 7, Phillies 1

Comment

Preview: Blue Jays at Orioles

GAME: Toronto Blue Jays (39-32) at Baltimore Orioles (39-28)
                            WHERE: Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, Maryland

Yovani Gallardo’s solid return to the rotation only improves the outlook for the first-place Baltimore Orioles, who will take all the starting pitching they can find after a rough week. The Orioles will try to make it back-to-back strong starts when ace Chris Tillman takes the mound in the rubber match of a three-game series against the visiting Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday.

Baltimore is 3-5 in its last eight games and the staff allowed two or fewer runs in each of the three wins but coughed up a total of 44 runs in the five setbacks. The last of those losses came in a 13-3 drubbing by the Blue Jays in Friday’s series opener when starter Mike Wright failed to make it out of the fourth inning. Gallardo allowed two runs in Saturday’s win but only went five innings as he makes his return from a shoulder injury, leaving 9 1/3 innings for the Orioles bullpen in the first two games of the series. Baltimore managed to contain Toronto left fielder Michael Saunders on Saturday after he blasted three homers and drove in eight runs on Friday.

TV: 1:35 p.m. ET, Sportsnet (Toronto), MASN (Baltimore)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Blue Jays RH Marcus Stroman (6-2, 4.76 ERA) vs. Orioles RH Chris Tillman (9-1, 2.87)

Stroman was roughed up for 17 runs in 16 1/3 innings over a three-start span but snapped out of the funk with a solid effort against Philadelphia on Tuesday. The Duke product allowed two runs and six hits in seven innings to earn the win. Stroman won a start at Baltimore on April 19 with seven solid innings but surrendered four runs on eight hits and a walk while notching only two strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings against the Orioles on June 9.

Tillman has not lost since April 14 and allowed one run while striking out 16 in a total of 14 1/3 innings over his last two starts. The California native yielded three home runs in back-to-back starts on May 29 and June 3 but gave up a combined four blasts in his other 12 outings. Tillman was held out of the decision at Toronto on April 21, when he surrendered two runs and four hits in six innings.

WALK-OFFS

1. Orioles SS-3B Manny Machado on Sunday will begin a four-game suspension he earned for charging the mound against the Kansas City Royals on June 7.

2. Blue Jays SS Troy Tulowitzki (quad) went 0-for-4 on Saturday in his return from the disabled list.

3. Toronto RF Jose Bautista will head to North Carolina on Monday to undergo further testing on a toe injury that forced him to the DL.

PREDICTION: Orioles 6, Blue Jays 1

Comment

Preview: Mariners at Red Sox

GAME: Seattle Mariners (36-32) at Boston Red Sox (38-29)
                              WHERE: Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts

The Boston Red Sox have a simple path to victory this season – a decent starting pitching performance. The Red Sox will try to get a strong effort from ace David Price when they host the Seattle Mariners in the rubber match of a three-game series on Sunday.

Boston dropped back-to-back games on Thursday and Friday as Roenis Elias and Eduardo Rodriguez were roughed up, but Rick Porcello’s solid start in Saturday’s 6-2 win gave the team some hope of finding a reliable starter aside from Price and knuckleballer Steven Wright. The offense is strong enough to cover a lot of mistakes from the staff, and home runs from budding stars Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. highlighted Saturday’s triumph. The Mariners’ loss dropped them to 6-11 in June and 2-3 on the current 10-game road trip, which heads to Detroit for four games beginning on Monday. Left-handed Price making the start for the Red Sox on Sunday will give Seattle a good chance to get Franklin Gutierrez back in the lineup after he blasted a pair of homers off the left-handed Elias on Friday.

TV: 1:35 p.m. ET, ROOT (Seattle), NESN (Boston)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Mariners RH Taijuan Walker (3-6, 3.69 ERA) vs. Red Sox LH David Price (7-4, 4.52)

Walker was declared ready to make the start after coming through a side session on Friday with no issues. The 23-year-old left a start at Tampa Bay on Tuesday due to discomfort in the arch of his right foot, which helped explain the four runs – three earned – he allowed over 3 1/3 innings. Walker had snapped a seven-start winless streak with one of the best outings of his career in his previous turn against Cleveland on June 8, when he scattered three hits, did not walk a batter and struck out 11 in eight scoreless innings.

Price allowed three or fewer earned runs in each of his last seven starts but is having some trouble keeping the ball in the ballpark. Price suffered the loss in each of his last three outings and yielded five home runs in 23 innings over that span to boost his season total to 12 in 91 2/3 frames. Price surrendered only one home run in 40 career innings against the Mariners while building up a 2-1 record with a 2.48 ERA in five starts.

WALK-OFFS

1. The Red Sox selected OF Ryan LaMarre and recalled INF Deven Marrero from Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday

2. Seattle DH Nelson Cruz is 2-for-16 with nine strikeouts in the last four games.

3. Boston 2B Dustin Pedroia is 0-for-12 in the last three contests.

PREDICTION: Red Sox 7, Mariners 3

Comment

Preview: Rangers at Cardinals

GAME: Texas Rangers (44-25) at St. Louis Cardinals (35-32)
                                DATE/TIME: Sunday, June 19 - 2:15 PM EST
                                WHERE: Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri

The Texas Rangers benefited from unconventional offense to secure their franchise-record ninth consecutive series victory while the St. Louis Cardinals are struggling to muster much of anything at the plate in front of their home fans. The American League-leading Rangers will vie for their eighth win in nine outings and a sweep of the three-game interleague series on Sunday afternoon when the teams reconvene at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Ian Desmond's sacrifice fly in the ninth inning proved to be the final blow as Texas overcame a three-run deficit for a 4-3 victory on Saturday. The 30-year-old is 8-for-19 with a homer and five runs scored in his last five outings and is 8-for-23 with four RBIs in his career versus Sunday starter Mike Leake. Matt Carpenter recorded his team-leading 21st double on Saturday to extend his hitting streak to 11 games for the Cardinals, who have mustered just six runs en route to losing the first four contests of their five-game homestand. The 30-year-old Carpenter has reached base seven times in this series for St. Louis, which is just 15-20 at home this season heading into an eight-game road trip against the powerhouse Chicago Cubs, Seattle and reigning World Series-champion Kansas City.

TV: 2:15 p.m. ET, MLB Network, FSN Southwest (Texas), FSN Midwest (St. Louis)

PITCHING MATCHUP: Rangers LH Martin Perez (6-4, 3.38 ERA) vs. Cardinals RH Mike Leake (5-4, 4.08)

Perez improved to 5-0 with a 3.19 ERA in his last five starts after working seven innings in a 10-6 triumph over Oakland on Tuesday. The victory was the first on the road in four decisions for the 25-year-old Venezuelan, who will face St. Louis for the first time since allowing two runs on five hits in seven frames in a win in 2013. Perez walked only one batter on that day and zero in his last start after issuing 36 free passes in his first 13 outings this season.

Leake overcame a sluggish start to the season and has begun to pay dividends on the five-year, $80 million deal he signed in December. The 28-year-old improved to 5-1 in his last seven outings last Sunday after permitting two earned runs on six hits in seven innings of an 8-3 triumph over Pittsburgh. Leake, who is 0-1 with a 2.03 ERA in two career starts versus Texas, kept the ball in the park after being taken deep five times in his previous three outings.

WALK-OFFS

1. St. Louis 1B Matt Adams is hitless in five at-bats in this series and is 1-for-17 in his last five outings.

2. Texas 2B Rougned Odor is 9-for-25 with eight runs scored, three homers and four RBIs during his six-game hitting streak.

3. Cardinals SS Aledmys Diaz is 0-for-10 in his last three contests after hitting safely in 13 of his previous 17.

PREDICTION: Cardinals 3, Rangers 2

Comment

Working...
                                X