X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Betting Info. 5/18

StatFox Super Situations

MLB | COLORADO at ST LOUIS
    Play Against - Any team (COLORADO) with a team slugging percentage of .440 or better on the season (NL) against opponent starting a pitcher who walked <=1 hitters each of his last 2 outings
    71-36 over the last 5 seasons. ( 66.4% | 33.3 units )
    5-5 this year. ( 50.0% | -1.1 units )

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | TEXAS at OAKLAND
    TEXAS is 81-61 (+36.1 Units) against the money line vs. a good bullpen whose WHIP is 1.350 or better over the last 2 seasons.
    The average score was: TEXAS (4.9) , OPPONENT (4.6)

Re: MLB Betting Info. 5/18

Preview: Marlins (21-18) at Phillies (23-17)

Game: 3
    Venue: Citizens Bank Park
    Date: May 18, 2016 1:05 PM EDT

After getting shelled to begin the month, Tom Koehler got back to basics and has had good results - though it hasn't shown up in the win column for either him or his club.

The right-hander seeks another solid outing for the Miami Marlins when they go for a series win against the Philadelphia Phillies on Wednesday.

Koehler (2-3, 5.14 ERA) put in the shortest start of his career with 2 1/3 dreadful innings in a 14-5 loss to Milwaukee on May 1. He allowed eight runs and eight hits - two of them homers - while laboring through 78 pitches.

"I didn't give the team a chance to win," Koehler told MLB's website. "I expect a lot more from myself. I felt like that was a flat out embarrassing performance."

Koehler, who hasn't won since April 26, seems to have used it as motivation and has allowed two runs over his previous 12 2/3 innings with 12 strikeouts. He hadn't given up fewer than two earned runs in back-to-back starts since July.

"Honestly, I just tried to forget everything that I'd been doing and just get back to attacking the zone, getting into a good rhythm and working the gameplan," he said.

He had a season-best eight strikeouts in seven innings against the Phillies (23-17) on May 7 and left with a 3-1 lead before the bullpen blew it in a 4-3 loss. He then showed some grit by overcoming a career high-tying five walks over 5 2/3 against Washington on Friday in a game Miami (21-18) lost 5-3 with another poor relief effort.

Koehler's six career starts with five walks are interesting because he's managed to work around the free passes with two earned runs or less allowed in four of them.

He is 2-3 with a 4.15 ERA in 10 career starts against Philadelphia. Ryan Howard has gone 5 for 18 with five strikeouts and four walks in the matchup, while Freddy Galvis has also struck out five times against Koehler in 19 career at-bats.

The pitcher who opposed Koehler on May 7 will be opposite him again in this one and is coming off a strong outing.

Jeremy Hellickson (3-2, 4.12) gave up three runs and eight hits over 5 1/3 innings in the win over the Marlins and followed it with seven innings of two-run ball against Cincinnati on Friday. Both runs were unearned for the right-hander, who surrendered four hits with a season-best nine strikeouts in the 3-2 victory.

"My fastball command was a lot better than it's been," said Hellickson, who kept the ball in the yard after allowing five home runs over his previous two starts. "That was probably the best changeup I've had this year, too."

He is 0-1 with a 4.18 ERA in five starts against Miami. Ichiro Suzuki is the only Marlins batter who's seen a good deal of Hellickson from their time in the AL and is 4 for 12 in the matchup. Giancarlo Stanton has struck out four times in five at-bats.

Hellickson will try to give the Phillies another quality outing after six pitchers combined to strike out 17 Marlins in Tuesday's 3-1 victory. Starter Vince Velasquez got 10 of those strikeouts in five innings.

Miami center fielder Marcell Ozuna went 0 for 3 to end a 16-game hitting streak.

Comment

Preview: Twins (10-28) at Tigers (18-21)

Venue: Comerica Park
      Date: May 18, 2016 1:10 PM EDT

Although he's no longer consistently a dominant force for the Detroit Tigers, Justin Verlander has rediscovered that ace form over his last two starts.

Now feeling great after shaking off his early struggles, the right-hander hopes to continue an outstanding run against the visiting Minnesota Twins on Wednesday when the hot-hitting Tigers chase their sixth straight win in the season series.

Verlander (2-4, 4.71 ERA) had a tough time finding a rhythm early, going 2-3 with a 6.49 ERA through his first six starts. However, he's turned things around in his last two despite going up against a pair of prolific offensive clubs.

After allowing three hits and striking out nine over seven shutout innings in an 8-3 home loss to Texas on May 8, Verlander gave up one run and four hits with eight strikeouts over eight innings in a 1-0 loss at Baltimore on Friday.

"(I'm) just trying to maintain that feel, execute all my pitches, throw strikes when I need to," the veteran told the league's official website. "That's what I've been working towards, that's what I talk about. That's usually why it takes me a little bit to get rolling early in the season. I'm not quite as polished as I need to be. The last couple of (starts) I've turned the corner, felt great."

Verlander hopes keep the good feeling going and extend a stellar run against the Twins (10-28). He's 10-1 with a 2.26 ERA with 110 strikeouts in his last 10 meetings.

Joe Mauer, however, has given the six-time All-Star trouble with a .353 average, three home runs and 10 RBIs in 68 at-bats. Kurt Suzuki is hitting .306 in 36 at-bats in the matchup, but Trevor Plouffe is 7 for 34 (.206) with nine strikeouts.

Miguel Sano hit his seventh home run and Mauer added his second in Tuesday's 7-2 loss in the second of this three-game series at Comerica Park. Sano has been a bright spot, going 7 for 23 with four homers and six RBIs over his last six.

Minnesota right-hander Ricky Nolasco (1-1, 4.87) posted a 3.25 ERA over his first four starts before falling on tougher times with a 7.56 mark in his last three.

Nolasco has had mixed results against the Tigers, going 2-1 with a 4.32 ERA in six matchups. He settled for a no-decision against them May 1 when he was tagged for five runs and eight hits over 5 2/3 innings in a 6-5 loss at Target Field.

Victor Martinez and Justin Upton both went 2 for 3 off him and Nick Castellanos hit a three-run homer. Jose Iglesias (4 for 5), Cameron Maybin (4 for 5), Mike Aviles (8 for 14) and Martinez (7 for 14) also have thrived in their matchups.

Detroit (18-21), which will get manager Brad Ausmus back from a one-game suspension after getting ejected in Monday's 10-8 win, has averaged 7.7 runs while batting .346 with eight home runs during its three-game winning streak.

"We felt like it was coming," left fielder Justin Upton said. "We've been grinding for the last month-and-a-half and we're just starting to see results."

J.D. Martinez and Ian Kinsler hit back-to-back home runs in a seven-run seventh inning Tuesday. Martinez is 7 for 12 with three homers and four RBIs and Kinsler is 6 for 13 with three long balls and five RBIs over the past three games.

Comment

Preview: Red Sox (24-15) at Royals (19-19)

Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
        Date: May 18, 2016 8:15 PM EDT

David Price felt he lost the form that earned him his contract with the Boston Red Sox and made some minor changes to his delivery prior to his last start.

The results were exactly what he'd hoped for.

He'll try to build off that outing when he faces the Kansas City Royals in the second game of Wednesday's day-night doubleheader at Fenway Park.

Price (5-1, 6.00 ERA) was scheduled to start Tuesday but was pushed back after Monday's rainout. He's coming off one of his best starts in a Red Sox uniform, allowing a season-low one run and striking out 12 in 6 2/3 innings of an 11-1 win over Houston on Thursday.

The left-hander gave up six runs in each of his previous two outings.

'I allowed myself to get into my power position,' Price said. 'It's something I've worked on for the last four days leading up to this start. It was a big key for me and it helped out a lot.'

Price is 0-1 with a 5.49 ERA in his last three starts against the Royals, including Games 2 and 6 in last year's ALCS with Toronto. He'll oppose Edinson Volquez, who is coming off a solid outing of his own.

Volquez (4-3, 3.51) ended a three-start losing streak by giving up one run in seven innings of Friday's 5-1 win over Atlanta. He also didn't walk a batter after issuing four bases on balls in his previous outing.

"Last time at Cleveland (on May 8), I was all over the place,' Volquez said. 'I wanted to make sure I throw the ball for strikes. I had good movement on my fastball. I used my fastball a lot and they made contact. It was easy for me to get a lot of groundballs.'

The right-hander's control was fine in two starts against the Red Sox last season, but he gave up 10 runs and 17 hits over 12 innings in those outings.

Boston (24-15) scored no fewer than five runs while winning seven of its previous eight before falling 8-4 to the Royals (19-19) on Tuesday. Jackie Bradley extended his hitting streak to 22 with an RBI double in the second inning, but the Red Sox totaled eight hits after averaging 14.4 over their previous seven.

Boston has homered in 17 straight games - two short of the franchise record set in 1996 - but Ian Kennedy will try to limit them again in the matinée. After giving up one run in 12 innings while winning his previous two starts, Kennedy (4-3, 3.25) allowed seven runs in 6 1/3 innings of Thursday's 7-3 loss to the New York Yankees.

He gave up three homers, matching the amount he surrendered over his first six outings.

'Felt really good, felt good in the bullpen (before the game)," Kennedy said. "It's kind of a shame, it's kind of a waste when you feel good and you physically feel good and you lose and you don't give your team a chance.'

The right-hander's only start against Boston was in 2010, but he's seen plenty of Hanley Ramirez over the years, holding him to four hits in 24 official at-bats.

Kennedy will oppose Steven Wright, who is coming off his toughest outing of the season.

Wright (3-3, 2.36) posted a 1.52 ERA while becoming the third Red Sox pitcher to begin a season with six quality starts, but he finally ran into problems Friday when gave up five runs and nine hits in 4 1/3 innings and took a no-decision in Boston's 7-6 loss to Houston.

The right-hander, staked to a 5-1 lead heading into the third, gave up nine hits over 22 innings in his previous three starts.

"I feel like I've got to be able to hold that, try to get a little bit deeper into the game and just turn it over to the bullpen," the knuckleballer said after a rainy outing. "For me to get it over the plate, I felt like I had to take a little bit off just to try and get it in for a strike.'

Wright had never started against the Royals and hasn't faced anyone on the roster more than three times.

Paulo Orlando hit a two-run homer, tripled and had a two-run single as Kansas City won a second straight for the first time since April 21-22. It last won three in a row during a season-high four-game winning streak April 12-15.

Comment

Preview: Rangers (22-18) at Athletics (18-22)

Venue: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
          Date: May 18, 2016 3:35 PM EDT

While the Texas Rangers will soon be missing Roughed Odor following his punch heard 'round baseball, the only thing Khris Davis and Danny Valencia have been slugging lately is home runs for the resurgent Oakland Athletics.

After Davis' walk-off heroics, the Rangers hope to cool off the A's on Wednesday as they try to avoid getting swept at Oakland for the first time since October 2012.

Elvis Andrus is eligible to return after serving a one-game penalty for his aggressive actions in a brawl with Toronto on Sunday. Odor, however, was suspended for eight games and fined $5,000 for punching slugger Jose Bautista in the jaw.

'I have to follow the rules, and I'm just waiting for the appeal," said Odor, who is hitting .282 with seven home runs. "I want to be with my team all year. I don't want to be out eight games.'

After going 2 for 22 over his previous five games, Odor was one of six Texas batters to finish with two hits in Tuesday's 8-5 loss in the second of this three-game series at Oakland Coliseum. Ian Desmond, Nomar Mazara and Adrian Beltre homered.

Desmond is hitting .362 with three home runs and 13 RBIs over his last 11 games.

The A's, however, outslugged the Rangers (22-18) with a season high-tying four home runs en route to matching their highest run total. Davis went deep a career-high three times, including a grand slam with two outs in the ninth inning.

'The adrenaline was pumping so fast; it was an amazing feeling,' Davis said. 'It was pretty extraordinary to see the fans go off the way they did. It was a rush.'

Valencia also homered Tuesday and is 8 for 19 with six long balls in his last five.

Oakland (18-22), which has homered 13 times while winning four of five, seeks its first four-game winning streak since a six-game run from April 16-22.

Rich Hill, who has gone 4-1 with a 2.05 ERA in his last five starts, surrendered three runs over six innings in Friday's 6-3 win at Tampa Bay. He ranks among the AL leaders with 53 strikeouts, though he's also been wild at times with 20 walks.

Hill (5-3, 2.68 ERA) is making his first start against the Rangers, though Prince Fielder is 5 for 16 with a home run and a triple lifetime versus the left-hander.

Texas' Martin Perez also hopes to keep pitching well after limiting opponents to two earned runs or less in six of his eight outings. He has a 1.93 ERA in his last four after giving up one earned run over 6 1/3 innings in Friday's 5-0 loss to Toronto.

Perez (1-3, 3.23), however, only has one victory to show for it thanks in part to a 2.28 run-support average that ranks among the lowest in the AL.

"I trust my teammates," the left-hander told the league's official website. "I feel good about what is going to happen if I continue to do my job."

Since throwing a three-hitter at Oakland in April 2014, Perez has surrendered 13 runs over 8 2/3 innings in his last two meetings. Coco Crisp has gone 6 for 16 off him, but Josh Reddick has gone 3 for 15 and Valencia is 0 for 4 with two strikeouts.

The A's announced that first baseman Mark Canha will undergo season-ending back surgery. He's one of 11 players on the disabled list, the club's most since 1989.

Comment

Preview: Braves (9-29) at Pirates (21-17)

Venue: PNC Park
            Date: May 18, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

Francisco Cervelli wasted little time living up to his contract extension Tuesday, while the Atlanta Braves looked exactly like the club that got its manager fired.

Now Cervelli will try to help the Pittsburgh Pirates continue their offensive dominance in this series Wednesday night when they look to complete their first three-game home sweep of the major league-worst Braves in 22 years.

Shortly after inking a $31 million, three-year deal Tuesday that runs from 2017-19, Cervelli had an RBI single and an RBI double in his first two at-bats before adding a single and a stolen base as the Pirates held on for a 12-9 victory.

'The most important thing is what we have in the clubhouse: coaches, teammates. It's just special,' said Cervelli, who has four RBIs in the series.

Gregory Polanco also had a special day with three doubles, while John Jaso and Andrew McCutchen contributed three hits and two RBIs apiece as Pittsburgh (21-17) matched a season high in runs and reached a new mark with 21 hits.

With Polanco going 6 for 8, the Pirates have totaled 20 runs and 35 hits while moving in position for their first home sweep of Atlanta since April 29-May 1, 1994.

However, things could get more difficult as they go after their fourth straight victory. Braves right-hander Julio Teheran has a 1.44 ERA over his last five starts.

Teheran, though, is still searching for his first victory thanks in part to a 2.79 run-support average that ranks among the worst in the majors.

"You just try to keep going forward," he told the league's official website. "Just try to concentrate on my job. I'm glad about the way I've been pitching."

Teheran (0-4, 3.17 ERA) will try to pick up an overworked bullpen after Aaron Blair allowed nine runs over 1 1/3 innings Tuesday in the team's first game since manager Fredi Gonzalez was fired after five-plus seasons earlier in the day.

The Braves (9-29), led on an interim basis by former Triple-A Gwinnett manager Brian Snitker, are on pace for the franchise's worst season in nearly 30 years.

'We all assume a lot of responsibility," director of baseball operations John Hart explained. "That being said, we do think we're better than what we've played.'

Atlanta finished with season highs in runs and hits (15) after averaging just 2.7 runs over its previous 24 games. Mallex Smith had the first two-homer game of his career, while Gordon Beckham had his first three-hit game of the season.

"It seems like when our pitching is there our bats haven't been and then vice versa," Smith said. "Right now we're just waiting for it all to click.'

The Braves hope to keep Francisco Liriano (3-2, 4.99) scuffling after he surrendered eight runs and nine hits - including three homers - over 4 2/3 innings in Friday's 9-4 loss at Wrigley Field. It was the second-most earned runs he's given up behind a 10-run, 12-hit dud over 2 1/3 at Coors Field in August 2013.

"You can't make that many mistakes at this level," Liriano said.

The left-hander has gone 2-1 with a 3.60 ERA while limiting the Braves to two runs or less in three of his four career meetings. Freddie Freeman is 3 for 4 in the matchup, but Jeff Francoeur and Beckham are a combined 4 for 39.

Comment

Preview: Mariners (22-16) at Orioles (23-14)

Game: 2
              Venue: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
              Date: May 18, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

The Baltimore Orioles have experienced one three-game losing streak this season, and that came nearly three weeks ago.

Another one seems unlikely given the way Chris Tillman has pitched lately.

Tillman seeks a fifth consecutive winning start when the Orioles and Mariners continue their three-game series at Camden Yards on Wednesday night.

With the Orioles seemingly forever in search of an ace, Tillman (5-1, 2.58 ERA) appears capable of filling that role this season. Since losing at Texas on April 14, the right-hander has gone 4-0 with a 1.64 ERA in five starts while striking out 36 over 33 innings.

He's allowed one home run this year and none in his last six starts.

Tillman's latest performance was his best of the year. He outdueled Detroit's Justin Verlander in a 1-0 victory Friday, yielding five hits in seven innings with seven strikeouts and two walks.

"I feel good right now," Tillman told the team's official website. "I think mechanically I'm in a good place and I'm able to execute all my pitches when I need to, not necessarily throwing fastballs in a fastball count, but I'm able to throw some other things that I'm not used to doing. It's fun right now, and I'll try to keep it going."

Tillman, drafted by Seattle in 2006, is 6-0 with a 2.98 ERA in eight starts against his former organization. He was, however, tagged for five runs and eight hits over 2 1/3 innings of a 6-5, 10-inning loss at Safeco Field on Aug. 11.

Robinson Cano went 2 for 2 against Tillman in that game and is 14 for 31 with two homers in their matchups.

Cano and Nelson Cruz have always hit the Orioles well and that continued in Tuesday's series-opening 10-0 rout. Cano had three hits and Cruz went 3 for 3 with a homer and five RBIs against his former team as Seattle (22-16) snapped a three-game skid and improved the AL's best road record to 14-6.

'It was good to get the road trip off to a great start,' said third baseman Kyle Seager, whose three-run homer made it 7-0 in the fifth inning.

Cano has a 10-game hitting streak at Baltimore and is a lifetime .367 hitter there.

'Robbie was locked in,' Mariners manager Scott Servais said. "Seager had the big home run as well. It was a well-played game by us.'

Cruz has reached base in 43 of 46 career games against the Orioles, including 41 with at least one hit. He's 10 for 20 with three home runs and nine RBIs in six games against them since leaving following the 2014 season.

Baltimore (23-14) managed two hits in its second straight loss following a seven-game win streak.

The Orioles have yet to lose three in a row at home this season, a fate they'll try to avoid against Taijuan Walker (2-2, 2.63). After posting a 1.44 ERA through his first four starts, the right-hander has gone 0-2 with a 4.97 ERA in his past three.

He cruised through the first five innings last Wednesday against Tampa Bay, but yielded two walks and a double before giving up Corey Dickerson's grand slam in the sixth in the Mariners' 6-5, 11-inning victory. Walker finished with nine strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.

He went 1-1 with a 5.59 ERA in two starts against the Orioles last season. Walker allowed four runs, seven hits and four walks over 3 2/3 innings of a 9-4 road loss to Baltimore on May 19.

Comment

Preview: Rays (18-19) at Blue Jays (19-22)

Venue: Rogers Centre
                Date: May 18, 2016 7:07 PM EDT

An offensive surge has the Tampa Bay Rays in position to sweep a three-game road set from the struggling Toronto Blue Jays.

Looking to maintain that production, the Rays can accomplish the feat by handing the Blue Jays a fifth straight loss Wednesday night.

A night after pounding out a season-high 17 hits in Monday's 13-2 rout of Toronto (19-22), Tampa Bay matched that total with a 12-2 victory. The Rays (18-19), who last swept a series at Toronto in July 2013, scored at least 10 in three consecutive games against Baltimore from Aug. 29-31, 2008.

"Guys are not trying to do too much," said first baseman Logan Morrison, who is 3 for 6 in two games. "We're taking advantage of the pitches that we're getting."

Steve Pearce is 4 for 7 with four RBIs in the series while Steven Souza Jr. is batting .324 in nine games against the Blue Jays in 2015.

Toronto starters have an 11.07 ERA and walked 11 in four games since R.A. Dickey (2-4, 4.31 ERA) allowed three hits in eight innings of Friday's 5-0 victory at Texas.

"He was tremendous," said manager John Gibbons, who began serving his one-game suspension for his role in Sunday's brawl with the Rangers. "That was as good as I've seen him."

The right-hander went 1-3 with a 6.75 ERA in his first five starts but is 1-1 with a 1.27 ERA in the last three. Dickey yielded a solo homer to Souza and two other runs over five-plus innings of a 5-3 win at Tampa Bay on April 4.

Souza is 3 for 8 with that home run against Dickey.

Appealing a one-game suspension for his part - most notably taking a punch to the jaw - in Sunday's fight, Jose Bautista belted a two-run homer in the first inning.

"I think I have good enough reasons," said Bautista, hitting .320 with two home runs and five RBIs in nine games against the Rays this season. "I'm not just appealing it for the sake of appealing it."

He is 1 for 17 with seven walks and six strikeouts against Jake Odorizzi (0-2, 3.83), who allowed two earned runs and struck out 16 over 12 2/3 innings in two starts against the Blue Jays this season. However, he faces them again after yielding five runs on three homers in four innings of Friday's 6-3 loss to Oakland.

"It's baseball," said Odorizzi, who matched his home run total allowed through his first seven starts. "They get hits and you make a couple of bad pitches, and it costs you runs."

The right-hander equaled the second-longest winless start to a season in team history, but is still well shy of Tanyon Sturtze's 15 straight that opened 2002.

Odorizzi, 0-1 with a 6.19 ERA in three road starts, wasn't completely upset with his stuff from that last outing.

"I was around the zone and trying to get as quick of outs as possible," he said. "I thought I did a good job of commanding the zone. ... Fastball location wasn't the greatest overall. But I thought my curveball and slider were pretty good."

Josh Donaldson is 1 for 21 in five games, and 1 for 6 with a home run against Odorizzi this season.

Toronto reliever Jesse Chavez is also appealing his three-game suspension for his part in the altercation with the Rangers.

Comment

Preview: Nationals (23-16) at Mets (22-16)

Venue: Citi Field
                  Date: May 18, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

The first showdown of the season between the Washington Nationals and New York Mets was dominated by the starting pitchers. A similar result could be in store Wednesday night with a pair of hurlers who have excelled at Citi Field set to take the mound.

The Mets try to clinch this three-game series between NL East contenders and move atop the division when they send Bartolo Colon to the mound to oppose Gio Gonzalez.

Noah Syndergaard struck out 10 in seven innings, Curtis Granderson homered on Max Scherzer's first pitch and New York beat Washington 2-0 on Tuesday to stop a four-game skid.

"It always helps when you have a horse you can ride on that mound," manager Terry Collins told MLB's official website. "We played good, but we pitched great."

Scherzer, coming off a major league record-tying 20-strikeout performance in his previous start, fanned 10 in 6 1/3 innings but the Nationals managed only five hits. Washington has scored two runs in a three-game losing streak that's left it a half-game ahead of New York and Philadelphia.

The highly anticipated meeting between the top two teams in the NL East also featured the Citi Field return of Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy, who left the Mets as a free agent after last season. The major leagues' leading hitter went 1 for 3 to see his average drop to .399.

'It took a little getting used to, coming out of the third base dugout,' Murphy said. 'I have been coming out of the other side a couple more times.'

Ending its offensive struggles could prove tough for Washington against Colon (3-2, 3.53 ERA), who's 1-1 with a 1.89 ERA in three home starts this season. He went eight scoreless innings to beat Atlanta 4-1 on May 2 in his most recent outing at Citi Field.

The right-hander, however, is coming off his worst start of 2016, allowing five runs in five innings of a 5-0 road loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday. The poor performance was surprising after the right-hander gave up three runs over 14 2/3 innings to win his previous two starts.

"Balls were up, balls were over the plate," Collins said. "Didn't really have that good life that he's normally had. I told (pitching coach Dan Warthen), he's had two tremendous outings in a row. ... tonight he just wasn't looking real sharp."

As good as Colon has been in his three starts in Queens this season, Gio Gonzalez (2-1, 1.93 ERA) has been even better throughout his career there. The left-hander has gone 6-1 with a 1.54 ERA in 11 starts at Citi, giving him a 9-4 record and 2.66 ERA with 104 strikeouts in 101 1/3 innings over 17 career starts against the Mets.

Gonzalez rebounded from his worst start of the season May 7, when he allowed five runs in 5 2-3 innings of an 8-5 loss to the Chicago Cubs, by throwing five innings and allowing no earned runs in a 5-3 victory over Miami on Friday.

Ben Revere is batting .381 (8 for 21) against Colon, while Jayson Werth is 4 for 9 with a pair of doubles in the matchup.

The Mets' Juan Lagares is 10 for 26 with three doubles, a triple and a homer against Gonzalez.

New York first baseman Lucas Duda didn't start Tuesday because of a stiff back, and Collins said he would probably sit Wednesday. The Mets also lost third baseman David Wright when his back acted up during batting practice and he's day to day.

The Mets have won eight of 10 in this series.

Comment

Preview: Indians (19-17) at Reds (15-24)

Venue: Great American Ball Park
                    Date: May 18, 2016 7:10 PM EDT

Cody Anderson's 15 starts last year gave the Cleveland Indians hope for a productive back end of the rotation after the promising trio of Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar.

After six starts and a relief appearance, his struggles have led the club to switch gears and call up Mike Clevinger, who's set to make his big league debut Wednesday night in Cincinnati as the Indians try to keep beating the Reds at a different venue.

Anderson is headed to Triple-A Columbus after going 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA in 32 2/3 innings, a drastic fall from his 7-3 record and 3.05 mark during his rookie season.

Insert Clevinger, who was 5-0 with a 3.03 ERA in seven starts for Columbus. The right-hander, who led Indians minor leaguers last year with 145 strikeouts, is 14-8 with a 2.79 ERA in 33 starts and a relief appearance since the start of last season with Double-A Akron.

The 25-year-old's last four starts have been particularly impressive, as he earned the win in each with a 2.11 ERA and .218 opponent batting average.

"We're really excited to watch him," manager Terry Francona told MLB's official website. "I don't think tomorrow's start is going to define his career, and I do think he's still developing. But there's a lot to like with a kid with that kind of breaking ball, that kind of velocity, that kind of competitiveness. I think you can still develop and win, and we're looking forward to it."

He's up against Brandon Finnegan, whose first shot at a full season in the big leagues has been part Anderson circa 2015, part 2016 Anderson. Finnegan (1-2, 4.40 ERA) has allowed more than three earned runs in only one start, but walks are hindering his ability to make it deep into games.

The 23-year-old gave up three runs and four hits with five walks in four innings of Friday's 3-2 loss in Philadelphia.

"I've been throwing the ball great," Finnegan said. "Obviously today I didn't throw the ball too well. There's going to be walks. That's baseball. You can't control that. I'm just worried about going up there and getting outs."

In reality, the walks are what he has more control over. With a .234 batting average on balls in play, he's probably getting away with the walks a little more than he will with his 4.81 walks per nine innings projected out over an entire season. His acting manager agrees.

"He knows he can't walk five in four innings and have success," Jim Riggleman said.

The left-hander has made four relief appearances against the Indians and allowed three runs with four walks in 5 2/3 innings with a 1-1 record.

The Indians (19-17) won the two games in Cleveland with consecutive huge offensive nights. Tuesday's 13-1 win followed a 15-6 victory with Cleveland totaling 36 hits.

Rajai Davis is 5 for 7 in the series after going 0 for 18 in his previous four games, while Francisco Lindor is 6 for 11.

The Reds (15-24) have lost seven of nine while allowing 13 or more runs three times. Opponents have averaged 7.1 runs in that time and are batting .312.

The Indians have won four straight matchups and seven of eight as the series shifts to Great American Ball Park.

Comment

Preview: Cubs (27-10) at Brewers (17-22)

Venue: Miller Park
                      Date: May 18, 2016 8:10 PM EDT

The Chicago Cubs are the second-highest scoring team in the majors and own the best record in baseball. However, their potent lineup has been relatively quiet over the past two contests.

Looking to avoid a season-high third straight defeat, the visiting Cubs try to bounce back from a rare loss to the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday night.

Chicago (27-10) has scored an NL-leading 216 runs and at least eight 12 times, yet it's totaled three and seven hits while dropping two straight for the second time in less than week. The Cubs didn't get their first hit off Chase Anderson until Ben Zobrist's double opened the eighth inning of Tuesday's 4-2 loss to Milwaukee (17-22).

"When we play anybody right now, outside of the teams that already have targets on their backs, we're going to see that kind of performance,' Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. '(Anderson) pitched well, but I was not displeased with our at-bats.'

Jason Heyward and Kris Bryant hit back-to-back homers in the ninth for the Cubs, whose seven-game winning streak at Miller Park came to an end.

It was only Chicago's second defeat in 16 games against the Brewers, who will try to win three in a row for the second time.

'Those guys are in first place,' Anderson said. 'They have a heck of a record.

"When you execute pitches, I feel like you can get anybody out, no matter who it is."

Heyward is 11 for 32 in eight games to raise his average from .202 to .237.

He's 3 for 8 with a double against Jimmy Nelson (4-3, 3.51 ERA), who has been the best of Milwaukee's starters. The right-hander was solid Thursday when he gave up two runs in eight innings of a 3-0 loss to San Diego.

"That's probably our best start of the year by someone," Brewers manager Craig Counsell told MLB's official website.

Nelson is 0-4 with a 3.72 ERA in six starts against the Cubs. The lone earned run he's yielded over 12 1/3 innings of his last two against them came while walking four over 5 1/3 in a 4-3 defeat April 26.

In position to homer in four straight games for the first time in his career, Milwaukee's Jonathan Lucroy is 6 for 16 with six runs scored in four games.

He is 4 for his last 12 against John Lackey (4-2, 3.54 ERA), who went 3-0 with a 1.85 ERA in five starts against the Brewers last season with St. Louis.

Lackey, though, was on the wrong end of a 1-0 decision to San Diego last Wednesday. He yielded a homer and two other hits while striking out seven in eight innings.

"Johnny was outstanding," Maddon said of Lackey, 1.96 ERA in three May starts after posting a 4.97 ERA in four April outings.

Chris Carter's only hit in six at-bats against Lackey left the park. Carter has six RBIs in four games, and is 4 for 7 in the last two after going 0 for 22 with 11 strikeouts in his previous seven.

"I try to take every at-bat as a new at-bat and keep going from there," said Carter, who delivered a two-run double Tuesday.

Comment

Preview: Astros (16-24) at White Sox (24-15)

Venue: U.S. Cellular Field
                        Date: May 18, 2016 8:10 PM EDT

The Houston Astros aren't getting nearly the level of starting pitching they did a season ago, and the results have dipped accordingly. The Chicago White Sox's staff has been far better this year, and they're atop the AL Central.

While Chris Sale and Jose Quintana are having fantastic seasons, another reason for Chicago's improvement is the success of unbeaten Mat Latos. The problem is he's slipping.

The right-hander will try to overcome three straight questionable outings Wednesday night as the White Sox play the second of a three-game home series with the Astros.

Latos (5-0, 3.40 ERA) carried a 4-0 record and 0.74 ERA through his first four starts with the White Sox. After last Wednesday's 6-5 loss in Texas, though, he has a 7.63 mark in his last three.

Latos gave up five runs and seven hits with five walks in 5 1/3 innings as Chicago lost for the first time in his seven starts.

"The offspeed was inconsistent with strikes today, a lot of high sliders today, really wasn't finishing," Latos told MLB's official website. "I've got to get back to having the slider over for strikes and keep pounding the zone. A couple of mistakes where balls were supposed to be away, I left them a little bit more over the plate."

Latos is 4-1 with a 3.86 ERA in seven career starts against the Astros, last facing them when he was with Cincinnati in 2012 and Houston was in the NL Central.

Colby Rasmus (6 for 11) and Jose Altuve (4 for 8) have hit him best.

Doug Fister's numbers might not look as good as Latos', but he's been steadier lately. Fister (3-3, 4.22) gave up six runs in 5 2/3 innings in his second start of the season but is 2-2 with a 3.09 ERA in five straight quality starts since.

The right-hander allowed two runs in a season-high seven innings of last Wednesday's 5-3, 16-inning home win over Cleveland.

"It's where I want to be right now, but obviously still some things I want to clean up," Fister said.

Fister is 1-2 with a 4.32 ERA in four career starts at U.S. Cellular Field, and he's given up nine runs â?? eight earned â?? in 10 innings over the last two. Melky Cabrera is 5 for 14 against him, but Austin Jackson is 2 for 14.

The series began with Tuesday's 6-5 Astros' win in 11 innings. For the White Sox (24-15), extra innings weren't ideal as they started a 10-game, nine-day homestand and are in danger of losing four straight for the first time this season.

Houston (16-24) is trying to win two in a row for just the third time this season and is yet to go beyond that. The Astros have been solid offensively over a 2-2 span with 6.8 runs per game.

Tyler White homered twice and doubled Tuesday, while Evan Gattis was 2 for 4 with a game-winning two-run homer after going 2 for 21 in his previous seven. It was his first game back from a stint with Double-A Corpus Christi.

Chicago's Adam Eaton was 2 for 5 and is batting .364 in his last 11 games.

Comment

Preview: Rockies (20-18) at Cardinals (20-19)

Venue: Busch Stadium
                          Date: May 18, 2016 8:15 PM EDT

No matter what others may think of Adam Wainwright's rough start, no one is taking it harder than him. His disappointment is understandable following an offseason of getting his stamina back after having most of his 2015 wiped out because of injury.

Now he's trying to wipe the slate clean.

The right-hander's success against the Colorado Rockies isn't something he'll want to forget when he takes the mound Wednesday night looking to help the St. Louis Cardinals avoid a fourth loss in five games.

Wainwright (3-3, 6.80 ERA) struggled again Thursday as he allowed seven runs - six earned - and a season-high 11 hits in a season low-tying five innings against the Los Angeles Angels, but the Cardinals provided enough offense for him to pick up a 12-10 win.

Opponents are hitting .330 in his eight starts.

"I'm starting over," Wainwright said. "I'm putting all this crap that's happened this year for me behind me, and I'm going to move forward knowing that my stuff is pretty dang good right now. The only way I can move on from that is I have to start over. It's a new season for me from now on."

He might want to look back on how well he's pitched against the Rockies, though. Wainwright is 6-1 with a 1.56 ERA in eight career starts against them, including wins in his last five while going at least into the eighth in each of the last three.

Another effort like that could help the Cardinals (20-19) snap out of their slump. They dropped two of three at the Los Angeles Dodgers before beginning a nine-game homestand with Tuesday's 3-1 loss to the Rockies.

St. Louis' Nos. 1-4 hitters - Matt Carpenter, Stephen Piscotty, Matt Holliday and Matt Adams - went a combined 0 for 14. Carpenter is 1 for 12 over his last four.

"(Bettis) was in control," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "An outstanding job. There were a lot of ground balls, a lot of poor swings."

Carpenter homered twice the last time Chris Rusin started against the Cardinals, and he'll be back on the hill for this one looking to help Colorado (20-18) win its sixth straight.

Rusin (1-1, 4.85) is getting a fourth straight start despite coming off back-to-back rough outings. He gave up seven runs and 13 hits in a loss to San Francisco on May 5 before giving up four runs and 10 hits through 5 2/3 innings of a 5-1 loss to Arizona on May 10.

The left-hander allowed six runs and 10 hits in five innings in his only start against the Cardinals last season July 30. He hit a two-run homer but couldn't overcome Carpenter's blasts.

Colorado hasn't needed the long ball lately, homering only four times during its longest win streak of the season. Dustin Garneau had two hits and drove in a run, while Nolan Arenado and winning pitcher Chad Bettis also added RBIs in the series opener.

Comment

Preview: Yankees (16-22) at Diamondbacks (19-23)

Venue: Chase Field
                            Date: May 18, 2016 9:40 PM EDT

One of the Arizona Diamondbacks' offseason additions took an encouraging step forward in their second game against the New York Yankees to help secure their first series win against the AL club since the 2001 World Series.

They're hoping another new arm can do the same Wednesday night at home as the Diamondbacks try to secure a three-game sweep.

Zack Greinke led Arizona (19-23) to Tuesday's 5-3 win by allowing three runs in seven innings and trimming his ERA from 5.26 to 5.08.

Shelby Miller is next up having turned in a few starts that haven't been great but have at least dropped his ERA. Miller (1-4, 6.94 ERA) gave up three runs and seven hits in 5 2/3 innings of Friday's 3-1 home loss to San Francisco.

The right-hander has gone 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in his last two starts and limited himself to four walks in 11 2/3 innings. That's not ideal, but it's better than the absurd 11.68 walks per nine innings he'd averaged over his previous four starts.

Even so, falling behind caught up to him again as Joe Panik hit a 3-0 pitch for a three-run homer in the sixth inning.

"I thought he threw the ball well," manager Chip Hale said. "Panik ambushed him there 3-0. Other than that, he threw the ball well."

Miller had all sorts of problems in his only career start against the Yankees, surrendering seven runs and nine hits in five innings of a 7-4 loss on May 28, 2014. Jacoby Ellsbury is 3 for 3 against him, but newcomer Starlin Castro (1 for 11 with four strikeouts) and Brian McCann (1 for 8) have struggled.

Miller faces Nathan Eovaldi, whose last start was quite a bit like his counterpart's but ended with a victory. Eovaldi (3-2, 4.85) gave up three runs and eight hits in five innings of Thursday's 7-3 home win over Kansas City.

The right-hander is 3-0 with a 3.96 ERA in his last four starts and felt the numbers in his latest weren't indicative of his stuff.

"I felt really good out there," Eovaldi told MLB's official website. "I felt I got hit around when I was ahead in the counts tonight, but overall I'm really pleased with the outing. I thought our guys did a great job offensively and on defense."

He's 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in four starts against the Diamondbacks, all of which have come in Arizona with Paul Goldschmidt going 2 for 10 with four strikeouts.

Arizona has won the first two games to secure its first ever regular-season series win over the Yankees. The Diamondbacks beat New York in the World Series 15 years ago, but their regular-season record stands at 6-11 with three straight wins.

The Diamondbacks had lost five straight before the start of this series. Goldschmidt was 2 for 3 after going 2 for 18 in his previous five games. Jean Segura and Nick Ahmed are 4 for 9 in the series. The latter entered with a .125 average in his prior 20 games.

New York (16-22) will again have to wait for its first road series win. The Yankees are 4-12 away from home with 2.7 runs per game and a .215 average.

Comment

Preview: Dodgers (21-19) at Angels (17-22)

Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
                              Date: May 18, 2016 10:05 PM EDT

The Los Angeles Angels appear close to adding some veteran help to a makeshift rotation, but their immediate focus is to rebound from a loss in the Freeway Series.

They can do so Wednesday night when this four-day series with the Los Angeles Dodgers moves to Anaheim.

The Angels (17-22) are reportedly nearing a deal with two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum, who could aid a rotation that has a 4.72 ERA and is without C.J. Wilson (shoulder), Garrett Richards (elbow) and Andrew Heaney (flexor muscle).

"His best days are behind him," one scout told MLB's official website of Lincecum. "But he could be serviceable."

The addition of Lincecum, who last pitched in the majors June 27 and is coming off hip surgery, could provide an emotional boost whenever it happens. For now, the Angels must regroup after their four-game winning streak ended with Tuesday's 5-1 loss at Dodger Stadium.

The Angels averaged 7.2 runs in five games prior to managing Shane Robinson's RBI single and three other hits against Clayton Kershaw and Kenley Jansen.

Albert Pujols, who scored that lone run, is 10 for 30 in seven contests. However, Mike Trout's run of three straight two-hit games ended with an 0-for-4 night Tuesday.

The Angels will get their first look at Mike Bolsinger, who will be activated from the disabled list to start this contest in his 2016 debut and give the other Dodgers starters some extra rest. After suffering a strained oblique muscle during spring training, the right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA in two starts for Triple-A Oklahoma City this month.

"We're optimistic that he'll get us, for sure, through five (innings) and hopefully beyond," manager Dave Roberts said. "At that point in time, it's nice when you have Kershaw going the day prior."

Bolsinger, whose role beyond this outing is undetermined, went 6-6 with a 3.62 ERA in 21 starts for Los Angeles (21-19) in 2015.

The Angels' Nick Tropeano (1-2, 3.68 ERA) has yielded two or fewer runs in five of his seven starts but hasn't completed six innings, averaging 97.4 pitchers in his outings.

He allowed two runs over five innings while not getting a decision in a 7-6 win at Seattle on Friday. The right-hander has walked 20 in 36 2/3 innings this season and allowed all seven of his home runs in the last four starts.

Tropeano walked one and did not give up a homer while yielding three runs over 4 1/3 innings of a 7-5 loss to the Dodgers on Sept. 7. He didn't get the decision.

It's possible Tropeano won't have to face Adrian Gonzalez, who could miss a second consecutive game with lower-back tightness that surfaced in Monday's 7-6 defeat. Gonzalez is second on the team with 20 RBIs.

"We're going to give it a couple days and see where we're at," Roberts said.

Howie Kendrick, who started at first base in place of Gonzalez on Tuesday, is 7 for 17 in his last four games.

Shortstop Corey Seager is batting .412 with five home runs and seven RBIs in eight games, and he's hit .368 in five career contests against the Angels.

The Angels placed pitcher Cory Rasmus and outfielder Daniel Nava, both nursing groin injuries, on the 15-day DL. That gives them 10 players on the disabled list.

Comment

Working...
                              X