X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Betting Info. 4/3

2016 Miami Marlins Predictions and Odds to Win the World Series
    by Alan Matthews

I find the Miami Marlins to be one of the three most interesting teams in the majors this season because of a certain hitting coach and superstars Giancarlo Stanton and Jose Fernandez. But can the front office stop messing things up? Can the Marlins keep their stars healthy for once?

Miami was a chic pick last season to contend in the NL East but regressed to a 71-91 record and third in the division. It was the franchise's fifth straight losing campaign and 12th in a row missing the playoffs since taking the 2003 World Series.

But sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward, and this poorly-run franchise might finally have it right. The team fired Manager Mike Redmond during last season and then somehow let General Manager Dan Jennings leave the front office to manage. As expected, that was a disaster with the team going 55-69 under Jennings. He actually thought he was getting his GM job back, but of course the team then fired him. Who would keep someone who demotes himself?

The upgrades on the coaching staff should be huge, and if the Marlins coaches ever played another team's staff in a pick-up baseball game, then Miami would win for sure. The team hired former Yankees great Don Mattingly as manager. He was a terrific 446-363 in five seasons with the Dodgers and led the team to three straight NL West titles. The problem was that Mattingly was 8-11 in the postseason. Miami would be happy just getting there. Mattingly is the Marlins' eighth manager since 2010 and the 15th since the franchise began play in 1993. Just five of those 15 have managed at least 100 games with the Marlins.

And Mattingly hired Barry Bonds as the team's hitting coach. Was Bonds a drug cheat? Unquestionably, but there's no question he could hit like few others in MLB history. Last year, the Marlins ranked to last in the majors in runs and home runs, and last in walks. Bonds was pretty decent in those areas as a player. I can't wait to see what he does with Stanton, who has more pure power than anyone alive right now.

Miami opens the season Tuesday with an interleague home matchup against Detroit.

Marlins 2016 Projected Lineup

Miami made one of the best trades of last offseason in acquiring All-Star second baseman Dee Gordon from the Dodgers. A lot of people thought Gordon would regress a bit more toward his mean numbers, but he was even better in 2015, hitting .333 with 58 steals. He won the NL batting crown and led in steals and hits. He was the first NL player since Jackie Robinson in 1949 to win the batting and steals crowns in the same season. Gordon also became the first NL player since Honus Wagner in 1908 to lead the majors in hits and stolen bases. The Marlins smartly locked Gordon up long-term this offseason.

Gordon might be the best leadoff hitter in baseball and is followed by solid veteran third baseman Martin Prado (.288, 9 HRs, 63 RBIs) and left fielder Christian Yelich (.300, 7 HRs, 44 RBIs). Yelich took a step back last season but he's still just 24 and the sky is the limit.

Then comes Stanton. It's simply all about health with him. Stanton has played more than 145 games only once in the past four seasons. He was off to a monster start in 2015 with 27 homers and 67 RBIs in 74 games before suffering a wrist fracture that was only supposed to sideline him 4-6 weeks but ended up being the rest of the season.

Center fielder Marcell Ozuna (.259, 10 HRs, 44 RBIs) also regressed in 2015 but also has star power. This can be the best offensive outfield in the majors. The rest of the lineup: first baseman Justin Bour (.262, 23 HRs, 73 RBIs), catcher J.T. Realmuto (.259, 10 HRs, 47 RBIs) and shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria (.281, 5 HRs, 48 RBIs).

This has a chance to be a dynamic lineup.

Marlins 2016 Projected Rotation & Closer

Assuming Stanton is playing when Fernandez faces the Tigers in Miami's second regular-season game next Wednesday, it will mark the first time the two All-Stars will appear on the same lineup card since May 9, 2014. Is there a better pitcher/hitter duo on the same team in baseball? Fernandez started last season late off Tommy John surgery but looked just fine once he got going with a 6-1 record, 2.92 ERA and 79 strikeouts in 64.2 innings. The shackles should be off him now. But you will continue to hear trade rumors because Fernandez's agent is Scott Boras, and he and the Marlins' front office don't see eye-to-eye. Fernandez can become a free agent after the 2018 season. The Marlins would extract a monster haul if they did put him out there.

Miami's big offseason acquisition was underrated Orioles lefty Wei-Yin Chen. He went 11-8 with a 3.34 ERA with Baltimore last season and should put up better numbers in the weaker NL. The Marlins needed a starter. They ranked ninth in the NL in rotation ERA in 2015 and returned just one starter -- Tom Koehler -- who made more than 20 starts. Koehler (11-14, 4.08) ERA slots in at No. 3, followed by probably Jarred Cosart (2-5, 4.52 ERA) and someone of Edwin Jackson, David Phelps or Adam Conley. It's probably going to be the lefty Conley.

The Marlins took a hit early this spring when projected closer Carter Capps was lost for the season to Tommy John surgery. Capps had a 1.16 ERA with 58 strikeouts in 31 innings with a fastball that averaged 98.05 mph. So by default, A.J. Ramos (32 saves, 2.30 ERA) will keep that job.

Marlins Futures Odds

Miami is +6600 to win the World Series, +3300 for the NL pennant, +800 in the NL East and has an "over/under" wins total of 79.5, with the over a -130 favorite. Stanton is the +600 favorite to lead the majors in homers and +650 to win NL MVP. He has a homers total of 36.5, with the over a -135 favorite. Fernandez is +1200 to win the NL Cy Young. He has a total of 11.5 wins.

Marlins 2016 Predictions

FanGraphs projects Miami to finish 80-82 and third in the NL East, nine games behind the first-place Mets. If Stanton plays 150 games and Fernandez makes 30 starts, this team will finish with a winning record. I can't project injuries so simply by going with that idea, go over the wins total and over Stanton's homer total. He should win the home-run title barring injury. It's too bad the team can't stick him at DH more to save him, but it is what it is. Over Fernandez wins.

Comment

2016 Detroit Tigers Predictions and Odds to Win the World Series
      by Alan Matthews

This was my opening paragraph last year when previewing this team: "Is the championship window closing for the Detroit Tigers in 2015? I do believe this is the final year this club has a shot at the World Series." I actually went over the team's win total of 84.5 but said the Tigers wouldn't win the AL Central even though they were co-favorites.

Detroit finished 74-87 and last in the division, ending a string of six straight non-losing seasons and four straight with a playoff berth. The shakeup of the roster began around the trade deadline as the Tigers, who have one of the worst farm systems in baseball and an aging roster, dealt away ace David Price to Toronto and slugger Yoenis Cespedes to the New York Mets for prospects.

In a surprise, the team then forced out GM Dave Dombrowski right after he made those trades. I don't think anyone in baseball thought that was a smart move for the franchise, and Dombrowski was quickly snapped up by the Boston Red Sox. Tigers owner Mike Ilitch is rather impatient and he badly wants to win a World Series before he dies. He's a great owner in that regard because Ilitch always spends big in the offseason to accomplish that feat. This winter was no different. Unfortunately, that payroll is bloated because of ridiculous deals given to the likes of Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander. Two of the best players at their position this decade for sure but also now breaking down in their early 30s.

Detroit opens the season Tuesday in Miami in an interleague matchup.

Tigers 2016 Projected Lineup

Detroit ranked 15th in runs last season and will have a few new every-day starters. The main losses were catcher Alex Avila (son of the team's new GM) and outfielder Rajai Davis. So not much.

Second baseman Ian Kinsler returns as the leadoff man, and he was very good as usual last year, hitting .296 with 11 homers and 73 RBIs. Likely to hit second is new left fielder Justin Upton. He was lingering on the free-agent market in mid-January until the Tigers swopped in and offered him a six-year, $133 million deal. I think the Tigers will regret that deal in a couple of years, although the contract includes an opt-out after the second year. Upton batted .251 with 26 homers and 81 RBIs last year. His average was his worst since 2008 and his on-base percentage of .336 his worst since 2007. He hit just .191 and had only three of his 26 home runs against left-handed pitching. Maybe getting out of Petco Park will improve Upton's numbers. Good player, don't get me wrong, but not worth that kind of money.

Cabrera will play first base and bat third. Guy is still a top-five hitter in the majors as long as he can stay healthy. I'm not convinced he will. Cabrera was limited to 119 games last year but won another batting title with a .338 average -- his power was down with 18 homers and 76 RBIs. Supposedly he's healthier than ever right now. Sure he is.

Clean-up hitter and DH Victor Martinez (.245, 11 HRs, 64 RBIs) predictably struggled in 2015 after a huge 2014 season got him a big extension. He played only 120 games last year and is another injury concern. Right fielder J.D. Martinez (.282, 38 HRs, 102 RBIs) bats fifth and is one of the most underappreciated players in baseball. He'll make only $6.75 million this season. That's a steal.

The rest of the lineup should be third baseman Nick Castellanos (.255, 15 HRs, 73 RBIs) catcher James McCann (.264, 7 HRs, 41 RBIs), center fielder Cameron Maybin (.267, 10 HRs, 59 RBIs) and shortstop Jose Iglesias (.300, great defender). Maybin was acquired this offseason after a huge bounce-back season with Atlanta. He's not likely to be ready for Opening Day with a wrist injury, meaning Anthony Gose will be in center. Those two will platoon all season with Gose against righties and Maybin vs. lefties. Maybin has much more upside.

Tigers 2016 Projected Rotation & Closer

The Tigers finished last in the AL in 2015 with a rotation ERA of 4.78.

Verlander got a late start to last season due to injury and struggled badly at first. In his last 14 starts, however, Verlander posted a 2.27 ERA (best in AL over that stretch) while holding opposing hitters to a .207 average and regularly hitting 99 mph on his fastball again. He finished 5-8 with a 3.38 ERA in 20 starts. Needless to say, the success of this team will largely fall on his right arm.

The big addition in this group was right-hander Jordan Zimmermann from Washington. He got five years and $110 million. He was 13-10 with a 3.66 ERA in a career-high 33 starts for the Nationals last season. He is one of four pitchers to work at least 190 innings and make 32 starts in each of the past four seasons. He has 66 wins and a 3.14 ERA over that span, ranking No. 4 and No. 10 in the NL, respectively.

Anibal Sanchez (10-10, 4.99) regressed last season and already has had one injury scare this spring. Mike Pelfrey was (6-10, 4.26) was signed away from the Twins. The fifth spot was favored to go to young lefty Daniel Norris, who was the key piece the Tigers got from the Blue Jays for Price. But he's dealing "non-displaced fractures in his spinous process," whatever that means, and will start the season on the DL. Thus Shane Greene (4-8, 6.88) is the leading contender for that final spot.

It seems like the Tigers have been searching for a competent closer this entire decade. Now that role belongs to Francisco Rodriguez. He had 38 saves and a 2.21 ERA last year with Milwaukee. He's not the fire-balling K-Rod he used to be but obviously still pretty effective.

Tigers Futures Odds

Detroit is +2200 to win the World Series, +1200 for the AL pennant, +425 in the AL Central and has an "over/under" wins total of 81.5, with the over a -120 favorite. Martinez is +2500 to lead the majors in homers and Cabrera +2800. Cabrera is +900 for AL MVP with Upton at +3300 and Martinez also at +3300. Martinez has a homers total of 30.5 and Cabrera at 26.5. Verlander is +3300 for AL Cy Young and Zimmermann +5000. Zimmermann's wins total is 12.5.

Tigers 2016 Predictions

FanGraphs projects Detroit to finish 81-81 and second in the AL Central, five games behind Cleveland. Love that top five of the lineup if everyone stays healthy. Verlander and Zimmermann are a potentially very good 1-2 punch, but after that it's worrisome. I'll go over that wins total but don't see a return to the playoffs. Go over Zimmermann's win total and over Martinez homers but under on Cabrera.

Comment

Dave Cokin

Baseball season is here! That means it’s time for the annual rundown of calls on which teams will win each division. Here goes!

AL East: Blue Jays

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Rangers

NL East: Nationals

NL Central: Cubs

NL West: Giants

Toronto could be every bit as dangerous offensively as they were last season. Not the best rotation on the planet, but I do see Stroman as an ace and I like the add of Storen to the bullpen mix. Boston looks tough and Mookie Betts might be worth a long shot bet to win the MVP. The Yankees could have the best three-inning bullpen ever once Chapman is off suspension, but I don’t trust their rotation and old age is a concern. The Rays can pitch but that offense looks weak, and it’s vice versa for Baltimore.

I see the Tigers rebounding from a 2015 season where most everything went wrong. The relief corps is better and Upton is a great fit in an offense where he won’t have to carry the heavy load as he’s had to at prior stops. The defensing champion Royals are still likely to be contenders. The Indians have some dynamite arms, but the offensive outlook seems bleak to me. The Twins could fall back a bit this season, though they do look like the team of the future in this division. I haven’t liked much about the White Sox for some time, and while they could improve some this year, I don’t think they’re a real threat to be playing come October.

The Rangers were the biggest surprise for me last season. This season, the only surprise is if they don’t make the playoffs. Houston has the game’s brightest new light in Carlos Correa, but I’m a little iffy on the rotation. The Astros could take a small step backward this year. Seattle figures to be improved so some extent thanks to some changes off the field and a better rotation. But too many holes in the lineup and I don’t trust the bullpen. I know lots of observers think the Athletics improve but I don’t see it with that starting pitcher corps. The Angels could finish as high as third if the pitching holds up, but I don’t see them contending and there’s little help on the way from the farm system.

The Nationals should be vastly improved. Dusty Baker has fixed the clubhouse and he’ll be better in-game than Matt Williams was. This team arrived in spring training with a pissed off mindset and while exhibition results aren’t very reliable, I really like what I’m seeing here. The Mets have the great arms and they should hit enough. But I do not trust the bullpen and any injuries to the rotation would be critical. The Marlins are probably good enough to hang around the divisional race but I don’t see them winning close to 90, and that’s likely what it will take to make the playoffs. The Braves and Phillies are in rebuild mode and I’d be shocked if either team approaches .500.

The Cubs have big time pressure with the big time expectations, but they are indeed loaded. I’m not buying the projected decline some have for the Pirates. I picked the Cubs to win the division, but expect the Bucs to be right there. The Cardinals always find a way, and while I think they’re third best in this sector, I’ve learned never to count them out. The Reds have some interesting young arms and I can see them perhaps winning 75 games. The Brewers have a legit shot to lose 100 and they probably won’t care as they’re focusing on a system rebuild right now.

The Giants have some ifs in the rotation behind Bumgarner but if Cueto and Samardzija deliver solid seasons, I like their chances. The Dodgers have lots of strengths but I still don’t like their bullpen. I’m also very iffy on their rotation behind Kershaw. The Diamondbacks are all-in to win now. But I’m surprised they spent as much as they did without adding to a very shaky bullpen mix and I wonder about the defense as well. The AJ Pollock broken elbow that needs surgery is seriously bad news. Neither the Rockies nor the Padres would appear to have any chance, and I would not be surprised if San Dego approaches 100 losses.

Free Play Saturday Take: OVER 89 WASHINGTON NATIONALS

The Washington Nationals went into 2015 with very high expectations. They were considered a cinch to capture the NL East and armed with what looked like strengths virtually everywhere the Nats were a very popular choice to win it all. Of course, that sure didn’t happen. Murphy’s Law seemed to follow this team around all season and Washington turned out to be a monster flop.

The off season actually didn’t start any better with the somewhat embarrassing Bud Black fiasco, where the Nats appeared to have a deal in place, and then they didn’t. But since that gaffe, things have started to break right for this team.

Dusty Baker is now back in charge of a team, and he might be the perfect fit for the Nationals. No one will ever confuse Dusty with Dick Williams when it comes to in-game decision making. But I think the reason he got this job, aside from his apparent willingness to take it for less money than others, is Baker’s expertise when it comes to clubhouse harmony and esprit de corps.

The early returns on that count have been spectacular. The Nats have been playing even the meaningless March games with lots of positive energy and I actually did think it was important for this team to establish a winning attitude in March. Mission accomplished on that count.

Bryce Harper is as good as it gets. A healthy Anthony Rendon is capable of contending for a batting title. Daniel Murphy won’t win any Gold Gloves at second base, but he’s a very nice fit in this offense. Ben Revere is a solid catalyst at the top of the order. I’m assuming better seasons are in store for Ryan Zimmerman , Jayson Werth and Wilson Ramos. I don’t see shortstop as a strength, but it’s not a disaster area, either. The depth chart isn’t bad, either.

As for the arms, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg can potentially be a dominant 1-2 combo. Gio Gonzalez will have his usual control problems, but should still be okay as a mid-rotation commodity and I have no problems with Tanner Roark and Joe Ross. Lucas Giolito is now very close, and he’ll bump someone to the bullpen when he arrives.

Jonathan Papelbon is no longer a top of the line closer, but he’s still capable of handling the ninth inning. I will admit, however, that this is the one area on the Nationals I’m least comfortable with. For me, the sooner they get Giolito up with the big club, which will bump someone to the bullpen, the better I’ll like it.

The Nationals are not exactly flying under the radar, but if they got overrated last season, I think a case can be made they’re underrated heading into 2016. The Nats should feast on the two really bad teams in the NL East, and I wouldn’t rule out 25 wins alone against the Phillies and Braves. I believe this is a team capable of winning in the neighborhood of 95 games, and I’m therefore comfortable playing them to get well OVER the current win total option that’s out there.

Comment

April Pitchers Report
          By Marc Lawrence

Major League Baseball trades places with March Madness as the sports flavor of the month in April. And as we usher in America's favorite pastime, let's open the season with one of our favorite handicapping angles – good month pitchers.

Listed below are hurlers that have enjoyed a two-to-one or better success ratio in team-starts over the course of the last three seasons during the month of April. On the flip side, we've also listed pitchers that struggle in April, winning 33% percent or less of their team-start efforts. To qualify pitchers must have made a minimum of 10 starts, with at least one start each April over the last three years. And for your convenience alongside each record we break down each pitcher’s greatest success or greatest failure either home (H) or away (A) within his good or bad month.

Note: * designates a categorical repeat appearance by this pitcher, maintaining status quo from last season’s April list.

GOOD MONTH PITCHERS:

Colon, Bartolo - 11-4 (6-2 H)

Will be a fifth starter until Zach Wheeler returns. Throws almost exclusively fastball and moves this pitch all around the zone. Places batters under pressure by throwing strikes.

*Gonzalez, Gio - 11-5 (7-1 H)

Tricky delivery and has great motion on fastball and changeup. Has gotten in more trouble the last two years by telegraphing curveball. Usually more effective early than late.

*Greinke, Zack - 11-2 (6-0 A)

Premier starting pitcher who adds and subtracts on fastball to get more movement. He can also spot inside and out. Has late breaking slider and can dial up 12-to-6 curveball when necessary. Tremendous talent.

*Hammel, Jason - 11-4 (7-2 H)

Back of the rotation starter for Cubs who still can throw in low to mid-90's, but has to keep the ball down or will be knocked around. Slider is second-most effective pitch.

*Hamels, Cole- 10-4 (5-2 H)

Has all the pitches and can throw any for strikes. Still has good fastball but has developed excellent cutter the last four years, which has come at the expense of arguably best changeup in the game. Has half dozen curves, which are different in velocity and shape.

*Kazmir, Scott - 9-3 (6-2 A)

Knows how to pitch with four-pitch assortment he can throw strikes with. Both his two-seam and four-seam fastballs are back in the 90's, but they have straightened out a bit and do not miss as many bats. Lots of pressure to replace Greinke.

Scherzer, Max - 10-5 (7-2 H)

Top line pitcher who dominate with mid-90's fastball, sweeping curve and biting slider. Extreme confidence with loose repeatable delivery and great bet early.

Teheran, Julio - 13-2 (7-1 A)

Talented hurler being wasted on bad team Atlanta team, but is still young enough at 25 to be in prime if Braves rebuild quickly. Inconsistent command of fastball hurts, but when he's right with this pitch, slider and curve are nasty. FYI: these numbers represent Teheran’s career starts during April.

BAD MONTH PITCHERS:

Bailey, Homer - 4-8 (1-6 A)

Recovering from Tommy John, probably a couple months away from pitching for Cincinnati.

*Cahill, Trevor - 2-10 (0-4 A)

Now working out of Cubs bullpen as setup man, but could be spot starter if needed. Note: 0-7 last seven April starts.

Cashner, Andrew - 4-8 (1-5 A)

Have never understood why Cashner does not to throw his mid to upper 90's fastball more often. Secondary pitches all a little above average, but has spooked himself by tossing heat down the middle instead of going up the ladder with fastball based on count.

Hughes, Philip - 5-10 (2-6 H)

Looks to regain 2014 form with Minnesota after reverting to Yankees numbers in 2015. Has good command of fastball and cutter and curve is tightly spun with excellent dropping motion. Will get into trouble early, seemingly not focused or feeling pressure if all pitches are not working.

Kluber, Corey- 3-9 (1-6 A)

Legit ace who got off to slow start last year trying to live up to winning Cy Young award. Has mid 90's fastball that darts in or out and he can control at batters knees. Also delivers hard curve and occasional changeup. Return to 2014 numbers expected, but like all pitchers will need some run support.

Samardzija, Jeff - 5-11 (2-7 A)

Is 47-61 with a 4.09 ERA for career, yet is making 9.8 million with San Francisco. Still has good fastball and when he hits his spots, can be hard to hit. All other pitches are ordinary. If he cannot win with Giants, his usefulness is all but done.

Weaver, Jered - 4-8 (1-3 H)

Former Angels ace spent the spring throwing fastball in the low 80's. Not being a Mark Buehrle-type, that renders most of his other pitches almost useless because the differences in speed do not fool batters. Claims to have found arm slot to add velocity and movement. Not a Play On pitcher.

Comment

National League

Pirates @ Cardinals
            Liriano was 3-0, 3.54 in his last five starts LY. Over was 7-2-1 in his last 10 starts. He was 1-1, 3.71 in four starts vs St Louis LY.

Wainwright's last start was April 25, 2015; he was 2-1, 2.16 in his last four starts before getting hurt. He is 11-6, 4.29 in 23 career starts against the Pirates.

Cardinals won season series 10-9 last year.

American League

Rays @ Blue Jays
            Archer was 1-3, 5.11 in his last seven starts LY. Over was 6-1-1 in his last eight. He was 3-2, 3.11 in six starts vs Toronto LY.

Stroman was 5-0, 2.91 in his last seven starts LY; his last four starts went over total. Stroman is 1-1, 5.73 in two career starts against Tempa Bay.

Rays won season series 10-9 last year.

Interleague

Mets @ Royals
            Harvey was 3-1, 2.64 in his last seven starts LY; over was 8-1-1 in his last ten. He was 0-0, 3.21 in two World Series starts vs the Royals in October.

Volquez was 0-1, 5.29 in his last three starts LY. He was also 0-0, 3.21 in couple of starts against the Mets in the World Series.

Royals beat Mets in five games in World Series last fall.

Comment

StatFox Situational Power Trends

MLB | NY METS at KANSAS CITY
              KANSAS CITY is 32-11 (+18.4 Units) against the money line in Home games at home when the total is 7.5 or less over the last 2 seasons.
              The average score was: KANSAS CITY (5.3) , OPPONENT (3.3)

Comment

Preview: Cardinals (0-0) at Pirates (0-0)

Game: 1
                Venue: PNC Park
                Date: April 03, 2016 1:05 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP) The Pittsburgh Pirates have spent the last three years making believers out of everybody, even the schedule makers.

The team that toiled in national anonymity for two decades will bat leadoff for Major League Baseball on Sunday when the Pirates host rival St. Louis in the opening game of the 2016 regular season. The significance isn't lost on a club that has undergone a pragmatic and thorough transformation under relentlessly optimistic manager Clint Hurdle, a ride that includes three consecutive playoff berths and the second-best record in the majors since the start of 2013.

'We're getting the kind of recognition as an organization that I don't think we've gotten a much in the past,' pitcher Jeff Locke said. 'Even as successful as we've been the last three years, really you can say it has been coming on for the last five years. This organization has really changed its face a lot.'

There's no need to convince the three-time defending NL Central champion Cardinals, who will send out ace Adam Wainwright against Francisco Liriano as arguably the most hotly contested division in baseball gets a jumpstart on what could be another six-month staredown between St. Louis, Pittsburgh and the trendy Chicago Cubs.

'I do think it's tangible evidence we've gotten better,' Hurdle said. 'We got to play five Sunday night games last year. There's a whole different set of challenges in those we found out as we get into the season and we start playing good baseball and people take notice and they want to put you on TV because they like your team and they like your players.'

And they taut, high-level play that tends to follow the Pirates face the Cardinals.

St. Louis is the only team with a better record over the last three years than Pittsburgh, the main reason the Pirates have been relegated to the wild card during the franchise's sprint back to respectability. Pittsburgh is well aware a better start would go a long way toward claiming its first division crown in 24 years. The Pirates are just 58-65 in April during Hurdle's highly successful tenure, typically waiting to heat up in lockstep with the weather at PNC Park.

'We dug some holes in the past coming out of spring training,' Hurdle said. 'We structured our spring training a little differently this year to hopefully generate a more consistent offense from opening day to the end of the season.'

Pittsburgh got hot last spring just in time to hold off the rapidly maturing Cubs in the regular season, though the Pirates mustered little in a 4-0 loss to Chicago ace Jake Arrieta during the one-game elimination. Despite the departure of longtime fixtures Neil Walker and Pedro Alvarez over the winter, Pittsburgh remains bullish on the possibilities 2016 provides.

'It's not so much optimism it's more just a belief that we know what we can do with what we have,' second baseman Josh Harrison said. 'If that's taken as optimism that's fine but this isn't a front from anybody in this locker room. We know we're good. We don't care about what people say and what's been done. All that matters is what happens between those white lines and that's what makes it so good.'

It's a feeling that's equally as pervasive in St. Louis. The last time the Cardinals visited PNC Park, they soaked the carpet in the visitor's clubhouse after claiming their ninth NL Central crown since the start of the millennium.

'I am very, very excited about this team,' said Wainwright, who will start his fifth opening day for St. Louis.

And the rest of baseball is excited for a season filled with high expectations in three cities taking different tacks in hopes of reaching the same destination.

'No one wants to talk about a team that has won nearly 300 games in three years and no one wants to give us any credit because those other teams might look a little bit better on paper but games aren't played on paper and if we didn't have to play them we'd all have the year off I guess,' Locke said. 'We'll see what happens. I know it's going to be a tight race. Other teams have good pitching and good offense but it's nothing that we don't have.'

Comment

Preview: Blue Jays (0-0) at Rays (0-0)

Venue: Tropicana Field
                  Date: April 03, 2016 4:05 PM EDT

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) Chris Archer relishes his emerging status as one of the new faces of baseball.

Evan Longoria still may be the most accomplished player on the Tampa Bay Rays roster, but Archer is quickly making name for himself after a breakout season in 2015.

The 27-year-old pitcher makes the second opening day start of his career Sunday against the defending AL East champion Toronto Blue Jays at sold-out Tropicana Field.

'It's a nice accomplishment. We have a lot of really good pitchers on our staff, so for me to be the one selected is nice,' said Archer, who also started last season's opener, but only after Alex Cobb underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery during spring training.

'Last year it happened, but not under the best circumstances, so to be the one to earn it for the 2016 season is nice,' he added. 'Even more special than last year considering how it happened and considering the arms we have healthy this year.'

Archer was a first All-Star and finished fifth AL Cy Young balloting in 2015, when he went 12-13 with a 3.23 ERA in 34 starts. In addition to working a career-high 212 innings, the right-hander struck out a franchise-record 252 to rank fourth in the majors behind Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer and Chris Sale.

A voracious reader who's among the more quotable players in baseball, Archer is making his mark off the field as well through numerous community and charitable endeavors.

He made his debut as a broadcaster during last season's playoffs, and easily was the most sociable Tampa Bay player during the team's recent trip to Cuba, where he got an opportunity to chat with President Barack Obama before the Rays played an exhibition against the Cuban national team.

Archer welcomes his role as the leader of a starting rotation that has a chance to be one of the best in the AL, excited to follow in the footsteps of former Rays James Shields and David Price, who helped set a standard young Tampa Bay pitchers feel compelled to uphold.

Tampa Bay earned playoff berths four of six seasons between 2008 and 2013.

'The day I walked in the door, James Shields laid it down for me: `This is what we do. We throw 200 innings. We're not really concerned about runs because innings speak for themselves,'' Archer said. 'We're trying to carry the load so that the bullpen can be used in the right situations and be as fresh as they possibly can be for that extra month of the season.'

Manager Kevin Cash said Archer earned role through hard work and performance.

'He comes about it naturally. It's not something that he feels he has to force, and that's why he's pretty special,' the manager said.

'Performance gives you the platform in the clubhouse to accomplish things off the field as well,' Archer said, adding he hopes improve this season in every aspect of pitching.

'Every single thing that I do on the mound, I want to be more consistent with,' he said. 'Fastball command, sharpness of my off speed, in-zone rate with all my off speed, minimizing damage, controlling the running game. Everything's that on the list, I want to get better at.'

The Blue Jays, coming off a season in which they lost to Kansas City in the AL Championship Series, will counter with right-hander Marcus Stroman in the opener.

Stroman was limited to four starts last year, going 4-0 with a 1.67 ERA in 27 innings after sitting out most of the season recovering from left knee injury suffered during spring training. Dating to 2014, the 24-year-old has won eight of his past nine decisions.

The Rays have announced a sellout for the home opener for the 11th consecutive year. Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred is expected to attend, the first time in the franchise's 19-season history that a commissioner has visited Tropicana Field for a home opener.

Comment

Preview: Mets (0-0) at Royals (0-0)

Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
                    Date: April 03, 2016 8:37 PM EDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) The two teams and their respective starting pitchers that wrapped up last season will usher in the new one when the Kansas City Royals and New York Mets meet Sunday night at Kauffman Stadium.

The only difference will be the location.

Oh, and the stakes.

There is no championship on the line, as there was in Game 5 of the World Series last fall at Citi Field. Rather the season opener for both teams, shifted to prime-time to accommodate an ESPN audience, will serve as the curtain-raiser on the Royals' defense of their first title since 1985.

It's the first opening day rematch of a World Series in major league history.

'It's impossible to simulate World Series atmospheres,' Mets third baseman David Wright said, 'but with them getting their rings and raising the banner and things like that, I think it would give a little bit of motivation. But I also think they deserved it. They outplayed us during the World Series, no question.'

The Royals return most of the same team that not only won last year's Fall Classic but reached Game 7 against the San Francisco Giants the previous year. If not for the virtuoso effort of Madison Bumgarner, the AL Central champions could be trying for a three-peat.

Of course, winning another can't happen without first getting to the playoffs.

Royals manager Ned Yost was part of 12 division champions with Bobby Cox in Atlanta, yet the Braves only managed to win one World Series. That shows just how difficult the journey is to October.

'It's extremely difficult to maintain that, and just to get there,' Yost said. 'Our focus in spring training was getting off to a good start, and at the end of the year, having an opportunity to fight our way back. Because it is, it's a fight. Everyone starts the year with those aspirations and dreams of making it to a World Series, but it's very difficult to do.'

The Mets no doubt have similar aspirations.

When they send Matt Harvey to the mound against the Royals' Edinson Volquez on Sunday night, they will do so still searching for their first title since 1986. They also lost to the Yankees in the 2000 Series.

'It will be a good test for us, especially on the road,' Wright said, 'and provide a little motivation when we see those winners' rings that they're getting.'

The ring ceremony is actually scheduled for Game 2 on Tuesday. All the Mets will have to bear with on Sunday night is watching the Royals raise their second championship banner.

'A lot of guys here were not in the World Series. At some point, you turn the page and get ready for 2016, and for us that was this spring,' Wright said. 'It stinks to fall a little bit short, but it was a heck of a run. We just can't keep talking about last year.'

Both teams are predicting an emotional two-game set, given the way things transpired the last time they met on the field. There were intentional pitches inside, threats of retaliation and plenty of heated moments in the pressure-cooker that comes with the World Series.

Some have even suggested that tension may still linger five months later.

'I'm really looking forward to it. I think all the guys are looking forward to it,' said the Mets' Noah Syndergaard, whose inside pitch to Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar was the flashpoint of Game 3.

'It's going to be an extremely high-energy game,' Syndergaard said. 'As soon as we get to Kansas City, it's pedal-to-the-metal from there. It should be a fun time and we're all looking forward to it.'

Comment

Previews, Streaks, Tips, Notes

Mets-Royals in Season Opener

After butting heads in the 2015 World Series, the Kansas City Royals and New York Mets will meet again Sunday night (8:30 PM ET, ESPN) in the 2016 season-opener for both teams. Kansas City beat the Mets in five games to win the Fall Classic for the first time since 1985. This year, New York (+1200) is a step above the Royals (+1400) on the World Series futures market.

Edinson Volquez will be the Opening Day pitcher for the home side. Volquez enjoyed something of a renaissance in Kansas City, posting a 3.82 FIP and topping the 200-inning mark for the first time, but he's still not as dominant as he was during his 2008 rookie campaign with the Cincinnati Reds.

New York will respond with Matt Harvey (3.05 FIP), who was brilliant last year in his return from Tommy John surgery. However, Harvey's brilliance only translated to a 17-12 team record and 1.27 betting units in profit during the regular season, and the Mets' bullpen coughed up both of Harvey's starts during the World Series. Volquez, who dueled with Harvey in both games, was good for 9.43 units last year on a team record of 22-11.

Comment

Preview: Cardinals at Pirates
                        GAME: St. Louis Cardinals (0-0) at Pittsburgh Pirates (0-0)
                        DATE/TIME: Sunday, April 03 – 1:05 PM EST
                        WHERE: PNC Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
                        LINE: N/A TOTAL: N/A
                        The Pittsburgh Pirates won 98 games last year – their most since 1991 – but were eliminated in the National League wild card game for the second consecutive season. “Every year, we’re a little more hungry,” reliever Tony Watson told reporters as Pittsburgh prepares to kick off the 2016 season against the visiting St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday. “Ninety-eight wins is nothing to hang our heads about, but we definitely want to win a division, raise a World Series flag in Pittsburgh.”
                        Part of the problem for the Pirates is that they are members of a Central Division that also boasts perennial playoff contender St. Louis and the upstart Chicago Cubs, who eliminated Pittsburgh in the wild card game last season. The Cardinals face challenges with shortstop Jhonny Peralta (thumb) likely out until mid-July while right-hander Lance Lynn (12-11, 3.03 ERA in 2015) could miss the entire season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. The Pirates, meanwhile, boast 2013 NL Most Valuable Player Andrew McCutchen, who could be sitting on a monster year after “slumping” to fifth in MVP voting last season. St. Louis’ Adam Wainwright makes his fourth consecutive opening day start (fifth overall) and opposes Francisco Liriano, who takes the hill for his third straight opener (fourth overall).
                        TV: 1:05 p.m. ET, ESPN, FSN Midwest (St. Louis), ROOT (Pittsburgh)
                        PITCHING MATCHUP:
                        Cardinals RH Adam Wainwright (2015: 2-1, 1.61 ERA) vs. Pirates LH Francisco Liriano (2015: 12-7, 3.38)
                        Wainwright makes his first start since going down last April with an Achilles’ injury and after pitching six games in relief – three postseason – in September and October. The 34-year-old Georgia native yielded eight runs and 19 hits while walking six and striking out 11 in 15 innings over four starts during spring training. “My arm feels great, and that, I think, is the most important thing going forward and into the season,” Wainwright told reporters. “There are a couple of very minor things that make a big deal of difference that I’m going to do between now and the next start.”
                        Liriano, who becomes the first Pittsburgh pitcher to make three consecutive opening day starts since Doug Drabek in 1990-92, hopes to reach 200 innings for the first time as his career high is 191 2/3 while with Minnesota in 2010. “I think it means that I’m being more consistent than I used to be before,” the 32-year-old Dominican Republic native told reporters about the opening day nod. “I wish I can continue to do that and be more consistent, hopefully go deep into games and throw more innings this year.” Liriano permitted nine runs and 19 hits while walking two and striking out 16 in 13 1/3 innings over four starts during spring training.
                        WALK-OFFS
                        1. Pirates new acquisition David Freese is projected to bat third and start the season at third base with Jung Ho Kang (knee) sidelined.
                        2. According to the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas, Pittsburgh has a under-over win total of 86.5 behind St. Louis (87.5) and Chicago (93.5) in the NL Central. The Cubs are 4-1 favorites to win the World Series ahead of the 18-1 Cardinals and Pirates.
                        3. St. Louis has won the last two season series while winning 21 of the 38 contests with Pittsburgh going 6-4 at PNC Park in 2015.
                        PREDICTION: Cardinals 3, Pirates 2

Comment

Preview: Blue Jays at Rays
                          GAME: Toronto Blue Jays (0-0) at Tampa Bay Rays (0-0)
                          DATE/TIME: Sunday, April 03 – 4:05 PM EST
                          WHERE: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida
                          The Toronto Blue Jays came within two wins of reaching the World Series last fall and begin their quest to advance one more round Sunday with the first contest of a four-game road series against the revamped Tampa Bay Rays. The Blue Jays, who scored 127 more runs than anyone and led the majors in homers in 2015, will be tested in the season opener against talented right-hander Chris Archer.
                          Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and American League MVP Josh Donaldson combined for 120 home runs last season and the Blue Jays will get a full season of shortstop Troy Tulowitzki in the lineup. The biggest loss for Toronto is starting pitcher David Price and a lot will depend on new ace Marcus Stroman, who gets the ball in the opener. The Rays finished below .500 the last two seasons after making the playoffs in four of the previous six campaigns, and added some juice to an offense that finished second-to-last in the American League in runs scored in 2015. Newcomers – including first baseman Logan Morrison, outfielder-designated hitter Corey Dickerson, shortstop Brad Miller and catcher Hank Conger – are all expected in Tampa Bay’s lineup Sunday.
                          TV: 4:05 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Sportsnet (Toronto), FSN Sun (Tampa Bay)
                          PITCHING MATCHUP:
                          Blue Jays RH Marcus Stroman (2015: 4-0, 1.67 ERA) vs. Rays RH Chris Archer (12-13, 3.23)
                          Stroman missed most of last season after suffering a torn ACL in the spring and was outstanding when he returned, including three decent postseason starts. The 24-year-old Duke product went 11-6 with a 3.65 ERA in 26 games his rookie season in 2014, including 1-1 against the Rays. Stroman won his only start at Tampa Bay in September 2014, allowing two runs and seven hits over six innings, and gave up three runs in 13 2/3 frames this spring.
                          Archer became an All Star for the first time in 2015, breaking the club record for a single season with 252 strikeouts in 212 innings. The 27-year-old North Carolina native was only 3-8 at home last season, but had a better ERA (3.11) and batting average against (.213) at Tropicana Field than he did on the road where he went 9-5. Archer is 5-3 with a 3.26 ERA in his career against the Blue Jays and has held Bautista and Encarnacion to 10-for-69 with four homers.
                          WALK-OFFS
                          1. Tampa Bay CF Kevin Kiermaier, who won his first Gold Glove last season, battied .315 in 16 games against Toronto in 2015.
                          2. The Blue Jays acquired RHP Drew Storen in the offseason and the club announced he will set up for 21-year-old closer RHP Roberto Osuna.
                          3. The Rays won the season series against Toronto last season 10-9 and Archer had three of the victories.
                          PREDICTION: Rays 4, Blue Jays 3

Comment

Preview: Mets at Royals
                            GAME: New York Mets (0-0) at Kansas City Royals (0-0)
                            DATE/TIME: Sunday, April 03 – 8:37 PM EST
                            WHERE: Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
                            The Kansas City Royals begin defense of their World Series crown against the team they sent home last fall when they host the New York Mets on Sunday. The two-time defending American League champion needed five games to top New York and claim their second World Series title, and has largely kept its core intact, re-signing star left fielder Alex Gordon and filling small holes elsewhere to form a roster that they said could even improve upon 2015.
                            “We’ve got the same pieces. We’ve got a little better,” third baseman Mike Moustakas told reporters. “And we’ve got the same mindset, so there is no telling what we can accomplish. We’ve just got to go out there and do it.” There has been talk in recent days of Kansas City retaliating for a purpose pitch by Mets flamethrower Noah Syndergaard to open Game 3 of the World Series, adding an element of intrigue to this two-game, three-day series, but several Royals shot down such talk. New York, which opened 2015 at 13-3, will be looking to get off to another solid start behind right-hander Matt Harvey, who struggled during the spring and also recently dealt with a blood clot in his bladder. The Mets went winless in their final 13 Grapefruit League games before splitting a pair with the Chicago Cubs in Las Vegas.
                            TV: 8:37 p.m. ET, ESPN
                            PITCHING MATCHUP:
                            Mets RH Matt Harvey (2015: 13-8, 2.71 ERA) vs. Royals RH Edinson Volquez (2015: 13-9, 3.55)
                            Harvey had a solid rebound after missing all of 2014 to recover from Tommy John surgery, ranking in the top 10 in the National League in ERA and WHIP (1.019) and winning the league’s Comeback Player of the Year Award. He rebounded from the bladder issue to toss two innings Wednesday against Washington but gave up a three-run homer to lift his spring training ERA to 7.50, some of which was the result of nine walks in 12 innings. The 27-year-old gave up five runs in 14 innings in two World Series starts – both no-decisions – against the Royals, but has never faced them in the regular season.
                            After several down years, Volquez has put up 13 wins and a sub-4.00 ERA in two straight seasons and he was on the mound opposite Harvey in the Game 5 clincher Nov. 1. The 32-year-old, who is 2-5 with a 5.70 ERA in nine career starts against the Mets, tossed a career-high 200 1/3 innings in 2015 before adding another 28 2/3 in the playoffs. New York right fielder Curtis Granderson, third baseman David Wright and second baseman Neil Walker are a combined 5-for-39 with seven strikeouts against Volquez.
                            WALK-OFFS
                            1. Syndergaard gets the nod for the second game Tuesday and will likely oppose Royals RHP Chris Young, who is expected to replace RHP Ian Kennedy (hamstring).
                            2. Royals CF Lorenzo Cain hit .337 at home last season.
                            3. This marks New York’s first regular-season visit to Kansas City since 2004.
                            PREDICTION: Royals 4, Mets 3

Comment

Working...
                            X