X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Betting Info. 1/25

StatFox Super Situations

NBA | ATLANTA at DENVER
    Play Against - Home underdogs (DENVER) terrible defensive team - allowing 103+ points/game on the season, after a close win by 3 points or less
    44-17 since 1997. ( 72.1% | 25.3 units )
    5-3 this year. ( 62.5% | 1.7 units )

NBA | SAN ANTONIO at GOLDEN STATE
    Play On - Any team vs the money line (SAN ANTONIO) red hot team - having won 18 or more of their last 20 games against opponent after having won 3 of their last 4 games
    25-7 over the last 5 seasons. ( 78.1% | 18.2 units )
    3-1 this year. ( 75.0% | 1.4 units )

NBA | ORLANDO at MEMPHIS
    Play Under - Road teams where the first half total is between 95.5 and 100.5 points a good offensive team (98-102 PPG) against an average offensive team (92-98 PPG), after scoring 105 points or more
    67-31 over the last 5 seasons. ( 68.4% | 32.9 units )
    3-6 this year. ( 33.3% | -3.6 units )

Re: NBA Betting Info. 1/25

Preview: Timberwolves (14-31) at Cavaliers (30-12)

Date: January 25, 2016 7:00 PM EDT

The Cleveland Cavaliers certainly didn't benefit from any bump in performance in their first game under Tyronn Lue, who says it might take some time to implement his vision for an up-tempo offense.

Things are likely to come easier against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Looking to give Lue his first coaching victory, the Cavaliers hope to avoid dropping consecutive home games for the first time in a year Monday night while dealing the Timberwolves their ninth consecutive road defeat.

Not all that much changed one day following David Blatt's surprising dismissal after he had taken Cleveland to last year's NBA Finals and guided the team to the top of the Eastern Conference halfway through this season.

The Cavs came out flat and showed little punch in Saturday's 96-83 home loss to Chicago that marked their second defeat in three games at Quicken Loans Arena after a 15-1 start there. They scored a season-low total for a home game on 37.2 percent shooting in Lue's coaching debut.

LeBron James finished with 26 points but went 11 of 27 from the field. Kyrie Irving also struggled, missing 11 of 16 attempts on his way to 11 points.

Cleveland fans were so frustrated that they booed the players as they walked off. The Cavs haven't lost consecutive home games since a four-game skid from Dec. 28, 2014-Jan. 7, 2015.

"I think we have to play faster," Lue told the team's official website. "I think we have to utilize Kyrie and LeBron's one-on-one ability in transition to open the floor more and run in more drags. We just haven't been accustomed to playing that way. I have to do a better job of getting us in better shape."

Cleveland (30-12) ranks near the bottom of the league in terms of pace, averaging 94.9 possessions per 48 minutes after having just 88 on Saturday.

The Cavs could net better results against Minnesota, which has given up 109.8 points per game and 50.1 percent shooting during its eight-game road losing streak.

Cleveland has averaged 118.7 points on 51.2 percent shooting during a three-game winning streak in the series. They had 96 possessions on the way to a season-high point total in a 125-99 win at Minnesota on Jan. 8.

J.R. Smith led the way with a season-high 27 points, while Iman Shumpert scored a season-best 23 and former Wolves star Kevin Love added 20 points and nine rebounds in his second trip back to Minnesota (14-31).

Now the Wolves are trying to win back-to-back games for only the second time since Nov. 27 after Saturday's 106-101 home win over Memphis. Shabazz Muhammed had a season-high 25 points and Andrew Wiggins scored 19 as Minnesota beat a team with a winning record for the first time since Nov. 25.

'We've been learning," guard Ricky Rubio said. "After (a nine-game losing streak) that we had, I think the last four games we've been playing better.'

Wiggins, acquired in the Love trade, has done his best to torment the Cavs. He's averaged 31.7 points while hitting 9 of 14 from 3-point range in three meetings after scoring a career-high 35 earlier this month.

Karl-Anthony Towns, this year's No. 1 overall draft pick, had 22 points in that contest and Muhammad has totaled 40 in his last two meetings.

Comment

Preview: Celtics (24-21) at Wizards (20-21)

Date: January 25, 2016 7:00 PM EDT

The Boston Celtics have had the Washington Wizards' number this season, and the last meeting featured an incident that could be revisited when these teams complete the season series.

Celtics forward Jae Crowder claimed that Wizards coach Randy Wittman cursed at him the last time these teams met heading into Monday night's matchup that is still in some doubt due to the massive snowstorm that blanketed the nation's capital.

Boston (24-21) can complete a four-game sweep of Washington after winning 119-117 on the road Jan. 16, in a game overshadowed by an incident between Crowder and Wittman.

The Celtics held a four-point lead with 22 seconds left and the Wizards' John Wall at the line for three free throws. Wall missed his first attempt before referee Tony Brothers whistled Crowder for a technical foul.

Crowder immediately pointed toward Wittman while arguing with Brothers, and later told reporters Wittman was on the other end of those remarks.

"I feel like he was getting away with a lot of curse words and inappropriate words to me, and I retaliated and I got hit," Crowder said. "Tony said he didn't hear anything from Wittman. I'm not going to outburst on a coach and say something like that for no reason."

Wittman had already spoken to the media that night and said in subsequent days that he yelled at Crowder, but denied using curse words. Crowder said that he was arguing with Washington's Nene before he got involved with Wittman.

"He (Wittman) was saying something about me being soft and bleep, bleep, bleep hitting me on the John Wall foul," Crowder said. "It's new to me. I understand we play them next week. I honestly don't know where it was coming from."

Crowder had 22 points on a night that the star for Boston was Isaiah Thomas, who scored 32 after totaling 37 in the first two meetings as the Celtics won by an average of 26.5 points.

The last matchup was much closer thanks to Wall, who had a season-high 36 points, 13 assists and seven rebounds. Wall has a team-high six technical fouls.

"I think there was a lot of woofing going on throughout the whole game," Wall said. "I'm just trying to compete and I didn't want to get another technical. I got enough this year."

Washington (20-21) may be disadvantaged since it hasn't played since a 106-87 win over Miami on Wednesday. The club practiced Friday before its game the next day against Utah was postponed due to the storm.

Boston may be sharper after crushing Philadelphia 112-92 on Sunday in a game pushed back one day because of the weather. Thomas and Crowder each scored 20 points as the Celtics led by as many as 29.

'I thought our guys were pretty locked in today,' coach Brad Stevens said. 'We talked about playing with force all day, and I thought we did a pretty good job of that.'

The Celtics arrived at Philadelphia on Sunday morning after the city's airport was closed the previous day.

'Obviously, that wasn't ideal but I thought our guys were businesslike in our approach,' Stevens said.

The Wizards' Otto Porter could return from a four-game absence due to a hip injury while fellow forward Drew Gooden might play for the first time in four games after being out with a calf issue.

Comment

Preview: Magic (20-22) at Grizzlies (25-20)

Date: January 25, 2016 8:00 PM EDT

The Memphis Grizzlies fell short of a season-high win streak, but a three-game homestand could help put that defeat quickly behind them.

The Grizzlies seek a 10th win in the last 11 games on their own floor Monday night while trying to extend their dominance over the scuffling Orlando Magic.

Memphis (25-20) fell 106-101 to Minnesota on Saturday in its attempt at a fifth consecutive victory. Mike Conley and Zach Randolph were limited to a combined 16 points on 5-of-18 shooting.

Marc Gasol had 17 points and matched a season low with two rebounds after being questionable with a bruised left knee. Tony Allen missed his second straight game because of knee and hamstring issues.

The banged-up Grizzlies didn't help matters by committing 23 fouls and the Timberwolves took advantage, going 33 of 36 from the free-throw line.

"They shot 23 free throws in the first half. That's incredible. They average 26 per game. That's pretty hard to guard," Memphis coach Dave Joerger said. "We have to play better without fouling."

The Grizzlies will try to bounce back by sending Orlando to a 10th loss in 11 games. The Magic (20-22) have gone to overtime twice during a season-worst five-game losing streak, against Toronto on Jan. 14 in London and a 120-116 loss to Charlotte on Friday.

Orlando had a 15-point lead with 7:15 to go in regulation but let the Hornets go on a 21-3 run. The Magic only forced an extra period when Victor Oladipo banked in a 3-pointer in the final seconds.

Oladipo scored a season-high 29 points on 11-of-19 shooting and went 5 of 8 from beyond the arc after missing the previous two games because of a sprained right knee.

"In difficult times you have to fight your way through and you've got to come with a positive attitude every single day,'" forward Tobias Harris said. "If we just sit around and mope and pout, that's going to affect us in the next game. We have to have a clear mindset and get back to where we want to be."

The Magic have lost four of five on the road heading into the opener to a three-game trip, and they've fared even worse in recent visits to Memphis, dropping 12 of their last 13.

Orlando has lost seven straight in Memphis and eight in a row overall in the series since an 89-72 victory Nov. 15, 2010.

"This could be a big road trip for us because it could change all the momentum, and probably change the whole season," guard Evan Fournier said. "Hopefully we'll just have a great game. Even if we lose the game (Monday night), having a great game would be huge for us."

Randolph has averaged 20.3 points and 9.8 rebounds in the last four matchups, but he's put up 10.8 points per game in his last six contests.

Orlando's Nikola Vucevic has a season-high streak of four double-doubles. He averaged 18.0 points and 10.5 rebounds in last season's two matchups.

Comment

Preview: Heat (23-21) at Bulls (25-18)

With a daunting road stretch having tripped up the Miami Heat, the Chicago Bulls have a good opportunity to build momentum prior to their longest trip of the season.

The Bulls will try to win consecutive games for the first time in nearly three weeks when the Heat limp into United Center on Monday night hoping to find some offense.

Chicago (25-18) has gone 3-6 without back-to-back wins since Jan. 9 and will be playing its only home game in a stretch of 10. Looming is a seven-game trip that opens against the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday.

The Bulls entered Saturday's road contest versus Eastern Conference-leading Cleveland with two straight losses, but they dominated the Cavaliers from start to finish in a 96-83 victory that extended a strange trend.

They're 8-2 against the NBA's top six teams - the only two losses coming against Golden State - but have dropped three at home against teams in the bottom five of the league. After winning five in a row at home, Chicago has lost three straight there.

"The talent of our team and the will of our team allows us to beat some of the best, the top teams in the league, and sometimes our lack of a sense of urgency and mental preparation for some games makes us lose to teams we shouldn't," Pau Gasol told the team's official website. "Especially at home. It's something we need to change right away starting the next game against Miami."

The Heat (23-21) have been playing like one of the league's bottom feeders, losing four in a row and seven of eight. Miami, which 2-7 so far on a stretch in which 14 of 16 come away from home, hasn't dropped five in a row since Feb. 27-March 8, 2011.

The Heat are one of three NBA teams averaging fewer than 96 points at 95.5, and their offensive struggles have been even more pronounced during the skid with an average of 80.3 on 41.7 percent shooting.

Offense is typically at a premium in this series, which has resulted in three wins for Chicago in the previous four matchups. The Bulls have averaged 88 points to Miami's 86 in the last five and neither team has reached 100 in any of those contests.

Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh combined to shoot 19 of 39 for 48 points during Friday's 101-81 loss at Toronto, but Miami's other seven available players shot just 33.3 percent for 33 points.

Wade has missed two of the last five with shoulder soreness and had to test it in warmups before declaring himself ready against the Raptors, while Hassan Whiteside (strained left hip), Goran Dragic (calf) and Luol Deng (eye) sat out. Whiteside and Deng are questionable against the Bulls, and Dragic is targeting a return on Friday at Milwaukee - meaning he would also miss Tuesday's game at Brooklyn.

"At this point I don't think I've got time to wait around to feel great," Wade said. "We've got so many bodies down, you want to get out there and help our team when you can."

Exactly one year ago Monday, Whiteside notched a triple-double in a 96-84 win in Chicago with 14 points, 13 rebounds and a career-best 12 blocks. He had 19 points and 16 boards in an 89-78 loss on April 9 that marks his only other game against Chicago.

After averaging 25.3 points in his previous three games, Derrick Rose made just 5 of 21 shots and scored 12 against Cleveland. He has averaged 11.8 while shooting 31.1 percent in his last five against Miami.

Comment

Preview: Rockets (24-22) at Pelicans (16-27)

The New Orleans Pelicans are well aware that they need to rack up wins on this seven-game homestand to have a decent shot at returning to the postseason.

One of the teams they are hoping to catch is the Houston Rockets, who may be without Dwight Howard as they open what they expect to be a difficult three-game trip Monday night.

New Orleans (16-27) has won a season-high four straight at home and is 3-0 on this homestand after Saturday's 116-99 win over Milwaukee. The Pelicans are shooting 49.8 percent overall on this homestand, including 48.5 percent on 3-pointers after making a franchise-record 17 from beyond the arc against the Bucks.

"I think that we've become very acceptant of our roles," coach Alvin Gentry said. "I think that we're competing at a real high level. I think that they're feeling comfortable."

The Pelicans are looking up at the Rockets, who have won eight of 11 after beating Dallas 115-104 on Sunday. Houston is seventh in the Western Conference ahead of a challenging trip that includes visits to San Antonio and Oklahoma City.

"A really good test for us," star guard James Harden said. "We've been playing relatively well the last few games. We've got another game tomorrow, we've gotta be ready to go, (then) San Antonio obviously and OKC."

Howard missed his second straight game with a sprained left ankle, with Clint Capela shifting to center and Corey Brewer moving into the starting lineup. It's not clear if Howard will travel on this trip.

'You don't want to put a timetable on it, but obviously you want him to be healthy so we'll take our time with him,' interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. 'Every day he gets better. Every day he's doing more and more. So we'll just wait and see. He's heading in the right direction. He hasn't had any setbacks.'

Houston (24-22) has won both games since acquiring Josh Smith from the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday. Smith, who played 55 games for the Rockets a season ago, scored a season-high 16 points Sunday.

"He's a guy again because of his ability again to pass the ball, he's a guy that brings everybody together because he can do that because he can make all the passes, he can make all the plays," Bickerstaff said.

Harden notched his second triple-double of the season with 23 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists. Trevor Ariza scored a season-high 29 on 11-of-15 shooting. Ariza is 11 for 20 from long range the past two contests following a six-game stretch where he made nine 3-pointers combined.

'He finally found a rhythm,' Harden said. 'We knew it was going to come.'

Anthony Davis is averaging 26.0 points over a 5-1 stretch for the Pelicans that includes this home win streak.

It's unclear if Dante Cunningham will return Monday after missing one game with a stomach illness. Alonzo Gee started Saturday, giving the Pelicans their 20th different lineup.

That kind of lack of continuity due to injuries is something New Orleans has had to overcome.

"We've gone through some tough stretches as you know," Gentry said. "But they've kind of hung in and believed in what we're doing and just have gotten better."

Davis averaged 26.5 points and 13.0 rebounds in two meetings with the Rockets that these teams split in December. Harden averaged 24.5 points on 36.6 percent shooting.

Comment

Preview: Pistons (23-21) at Jazz (19-24)

Date: January 25, 2016 9:00 PM EDT

For a group that just knocked off the best team in the NBA, the Detroit Pistons appear to be lacking confidence lately.

Although coach Stan Van Gundy has voiced his displeasure with the team's defense, it hasn't changed much on the court yet, leaving the Pistons still in search of answers entering the finale of a four-game trip against the Utah Jazz on Monday night.

Van Gundy called Detroit's defense in Thursday's 115-99 loss at New Orleans "deplorable" after it tied a franchise record by allowing 72 points in the first half.

Two days later he said his team "didn't want to make an effort" in the third quarter of a 104-101 defeat at Denver after they matched another team mark by surrendering 39 points in the period. The Pistons (23-21) have allowed at least 35 in four quarters over the last three games - something that happened only five times previously.

The last two weeks included wins over Golden State and Houston, but Detroit lost its other five games - including two of three on this trip to drop to 9-14 away from home.

"Stan is saying exactly what we need to do and we aren't going on the court and applying it right away so he is overly frustrated at this point and I see it," Stanley Johnson told the team's website following Saturday's loss to the Nuggets. "I don't blame him for being overly frustrated because we aren't doing our job as professionals."

Detroit's previous four opponents combined to shoot 49.3 percent, and the first three - Chicago, the Rockets and Pelicans - scored at least 111 points to mark the first time the Pistons have allowed 110 or more in three straight games since December 2014.

Things looked far different when Detroit beat Utah 92-87 on Oct. 28 - part of a five-game stretch of holding opponents to fewer than 95 to open the season.

Reggie Jackson scored 19 points - his combined total while making 8 of 26 shots in the last two games - and Andre Drummond added 18 and 10 rebounds in only Detroit's fourth win in the last 23 meetings. The Pistons can win back-to-back matchups for the first time since December 2003, a stretch in which they are 1-11 in Salt Lake City.

Utah (19-24) is one of the league's weaker offensive teams, averaging 97.7 points, but has eclipsed 100 in its last five - its longest such streak since January 2014.

The Jazz have played since late December without Derrick Favors (back) and Alec Burks (ankle), their second- and third-leading scorers behind Gordon Hayward. The pair combined for 44 points against Detroit in October, but Burks won't return from surgery until after the All-Star break and it remains unclear when Favors will be back.

Hayward has carried the load without them, averaging 22.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists since Dec. 26. He had 21 points and nine assists in Friday's 108-86 win at Brooklyn that was only Utah's second victory in six games. Hayward has nine assists in three of the last six contests and has averaged 28 points over the last three.

"He's not just scoring in pick-and-roll, he's finding other people," coach Quin Snyder said. "I think more than anything, there's a sense that he's growing and he feels like he belongs on a high level."

The Jazz, one of the NBA's best defensive teams with an average of 97.4 points allowed, are opening a season-high six-game homestand. They're 12-9 in Salt Lake City.

Comment

Preview: Hawks (26-19) at Nuggets (17-27)

Date: January 25, 2016 9:00 PM EDT

The Atlanta Hawks set a franchise record for road victories on their way to winning the Southeast Division last season.

Their current position atop the division comes despite a losing road record, and a visit to Denver doesn't bode well on that improving.

With Paul Millsap expected back, the Hawks attempt to beat the Nuggets on the road for the first time in over nine years Monday night.

Atlanta (26-19) had a team-record 60 wins last season with 25 coming on the road. The Hawks haven't been nearly that effective away from Atlanta in 2015-16, going 11-12 while losing four of their last five games.

Subpar shooting has proved costly for the Hawks in the last two games. They connected on 41.7 percent from the floor - 8 of 33 from 3-point range - while falling 91-88 at Sacramento on Thursday. Atlanta shot 40.5 percent before giving up a 3 with 0.1 seconds remaining sealed a 98-95 loss at Phoenix two days later.

"We aren't making enough plays from the start of the game to the end of the game and understanding what's important," coach Mike Budenholzer said. "We constantly have to dig ourselves out and come back."

Having Millsap back should provide a lift. The forward missed one game to attend his grandfather's funeral, according to reports.

Millsap leads the team with averages of 18.4 points and 8.8 rebounds, but he's scoring 20.4 while connecting on 53.5 percent from the field over the last eight road games.

If Millsap's return is delayed, the Hawks could move Al Horford from center to forward again while inserting Tiago Splitter at the pivot. Those two combined for 11 points Saturday, while Horford grabbed a season-high 16 boards.

Horford had six points and three rebounds while Millsap had 12 and five in a 115-102 loss at Denver on March 11. The Hawks have surrendered an average of 110.9 points while losing eight straight there since winning in December 2006.

The Nuggets (17-27) are 9-14 in Denver but are trying to conclude an eight-game homestand above .500.

Danilo Gallinari had 30 points and hit a long jumper under pressure to put Denver up for good with 23.8 seconds left in Saturday's 104-101 win over Detroit.

"When I caught the ball I saw there were about 4 seconds on the (shot) clock, so I thought I had to make a move," Gallinari said. "It was not easy. I was in a tough spot but it went in."

The forward is averaging 24.1 points - 4.8 better than his season average - over the last 11 games. He had 23 while hitting 8 of 12 from the field against Atlanta last March.

Emmanuel Mudiay is putting up 15.0 points and 7.0 assists per game over the last three contests. The rookie guard scored 18 against the Pistons.

It's unknown if Jameer Nelson (wrist) and Kenneth Faried (groin) will be available. Nelson is listed as doubtful after sitting out four games, while Faried has missed one.

They combined for 27 points and 11-of-14 shooting against the Hawks in March.

Comment

Preview: Hornets (21-23) at Kings (20-23)

Date: January 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins and Kemba Walker have turned in the two highest-scoring outputs in the last week and they sound pretty similar as to what's their motivation.

These rising stars will be the focal point Monday night when Cousins seeks to lead the Sacramento Kings to their first six-game win streak in 11 seasons as they host Walker's Charlotte Hornets.

Cousins had a career high 48 points and 13 rebounds Saturday in a 108-97 home win over Indiana. He is averaging 32.5 points and 14.2 rebounds during a run of 10 straight double-double.

'Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs. That's all I am thinking about,' said Cousins, who has yet to reach his postseason in his sixth season. 'It's been some rough years. But it's not over and we still got a lot more to go. I'm happy in the moment, but I'm not satisfied.'

Cousins' 32.5 points per game this month leads the NBA.

The only player with a better output over the last seven days was Walker's franchise-record 52 points in a 124-119 double-overtime last Monday over Utah.

The Hornets guard also scored 40 two games later in Friday's 120-116 overtime victory at Orlando before he scored 26 the next night in a 97-84 win over New York. The fifth-year player has been to the playoffs once.

"I just want to win," Walker said. "Whatever it takes, I don't care how many minutes it is, I'm going to go out there and I'm going to fight until the game's over."

Both players are being leaned on more heavily with the second-leading scorer for these clubs out with injuries. Charlotte's Nicolas Batum, averaging 15.1 points, is out with a sprained right toe, while Sacramento's Rudy Gay averages 17.9 and has missed two straight games with a bruised heel.

The Hornets (21-23) have another starter out in Cody Zeller, who may miss some significant time with a strained right shoulder. Jeremy Lin is starting in Batum's spot and Spencer Hawes in Zeller's.

Charlotte, which has dropped seven straight road games against Western Conference foes, is outside the East's top eight.

"We're down guys, good players, key guys, a number of them," coach Steve Clifford said. "We've got now nine more games till the All-Star break and we need to win our share here."

Sacramento (20-23) is eighth in the West as it seeks its first six-game win streak since 2004-05.

Omri Casspi has been starting for Gay the last two games for the Kings, who have overcome woeful shooting in that stretch by the starting backcourt of Rajon Rondo and Ben McLemore. They have combined for 41 points on 32.6 percent shooting.

"The last couple games, our guards aren't shooting at a high level and we're still winning games," coach George Karl said.

Rondo has two straight triple-doubles and six for the season to trail only Golden State's Draymond Green with eight. He guides an offense averaging a league-best 101.9 possessions per 48 minutes.

Sacramento blew a 22-point, second-half lead in a 127-122 overtime loss at Charlotte on Nov. 23. Walker scored 25 of his 39 points after the third quarter while Cousins had 30 points and 11 rebounds for the Kings, who led by 11 with 3:59 left in regulation.

Comment

Preview: Spurs (38-6) at Warriors (40-4)

Date: January 25, 2016 10:30 PM EDT

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) Even with that NBA-record 24-0 start, Stephen Curry and Co. can't shake the San Antonio Spurs.

Now, the defending champion Golden State Warriors finally get to face the team chasing them in the Western Conference in a Monday night showdown anticipated for months pitting the past two NBA title teams.

'That's going to be one of the fun things about this game is that we haven't played them yet. It's already almost February. It's a strange schedule,' Golden State coach Steve Kerr said after practice Sunday. 'Win or lose, both teams will really benefit from playing against each other.'

Pals Kerr and Gregg Popovich spoke by phone Thursday night once Kerr's return from a lengthy leave of absence following back surgery had been set, and just in time to face mentor Popovich and red-hot San Antonio.

They will get their greetings, handshakes and hugs, then coach on opposite sidelines in what could be one of the most entertaining games yet this season.

San Antonio is riding a 13-game winning streak coming into Oracle Arena, where the Warriors are determined to extend their 38-game regular-season home winning streak dating to late last January that includes a 20-0 mark this season.

'There's no doubt that players will look at it like more than that (just a game),' Popovich said. 'They can't help it. They'll be playing the best team in the league, and they'll be fired up about that.'

Kerr played four of his final five seasons with San Antonio. Yes, he will be fired up for this one, too - especially given his respect for what the organization has done in almost two decades of dominance.

'It's remarkable to me, I'm 50 years old, I've been retired for 13 years and there's still three guys and the same coach who are all on that team. It makes no sense. The continuity and just the program they've built, it's amazing,' Kerr said. 'What's it been, about a 20-year run? It's unprecedented.'

He is referring to longtime Spurs stalwarts Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Shortly after the Spurs announced Sunday that Duncan wouldn't play against Golden State because of right knee soreness, Kerr cracked, 'Tim is 57 years old, so he deserves a night off every once in a while.'

Two games separate these teams. Golden State (40-4) began the season 24-0, while San Antonio (38-6) is still right on the Warriors' tail.

'Excellent basketball,' Curry, the reigning MVP, said of the Spurs. 'It's going to be a fun game. ... It's just another regular-season game against a great team that we have to protect home court. In order to do that, we've got to be at our best for sure. You've got to assume they will.'

Golden State is chasing the Chicago Bulls' NBA record of 44 straight regular-season home wins from March 30, 1995-April 4, 1996. The Warriors, who haven't lost at Oracle since a 113-111 overtime defeat to Chicago last Jan. 27, matched the 1985-86 Celtics for third in Friday's win against Indiana in Kerr's long-awaited return to the bench and behind Curry's triple-double.

Someone asked Kerr whether he timed it this way to be back for the big game. Hardly. He has been eager to get back since the moment he was forced to take a lengthy leave of absence on Oct. 1 following complications from two back surgeries. He's finally feeling better - no headaches, no nausea, no fear of a player hurting him if someone lands on him during a hustle play.

The Warriors and Spurs still must play four times, and each team knows it must go through the other to win it all. Golden State expects to chase another championship after last year's franchise-record 67-win season and first NBA title in 40 years.

San Antonio has been an elite team since Curry was just a kid watching Duncan and Co.

'For sure, that's why they're legends, or they're going to be legends one day when they're done,' Curry said. 'Obviously those three guys and Coach Popovich are the main foundation of that, but they've been able to add pieces as they've gone through their careers and stay at a high level, so it says a lot about the tone and atmosphere and expectations they set.

'When you wear a Spurs uniform you better be ready to elevate your game to their level. That's the most impressive thing.'

Golden State returned from the All-Star break last season to beat the Spurs 110-99 at home, but San Antonio also handed the Warriors one of their two losses at Oracle Arena in a 113-100 win on Nov. 11, 2014.

'It's Game 45. I don't believe in barometer games at all,' Warriors forward Draymond Green said Sunday. 'If you need to win or lose to someone to know where you're at, you're turned in the wrong direction anyway.'

Comment

Game of the Day: Spurs at Warriors

San Antonio Spurs at Golden State Warriors (-4.5, 209)

The Golden State Warriors are undefeated at home and are on pace to set the record for most wins in an NBA regular season, yet they’re only two games clear of the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference standings. The Warriors will put that undefeated home mark on the line when they host the Spurs on Monday in the first meeting of the season between the West heavyweights.

San Antonio rolls into Golden State on a 13-game winning streak and owns a better point differential (plus-14.5) than the Warriors (plus-12.1) thanks to a scoring defense that is far and away the best in the league at an average of 89.8 points allowed, but will be without star power forward Tim Duncan, who will be resting a sore knee. That defense will be going up against a Golden State offense that leads the NBA in scoring (114.7) and has put up 126.3 points while rolling past the Cleveland Cavaliers, Chicago Bulls and Indiana Pacers in the last three games. “It’s great for the NBA and great for us,” Warriors shooting guard Klay Thompson told reporters. “It’s going to be a good test for us. It’s such a close race for that No. 1 spot, and San Antonio is playing beautiful ball. It’s going to be fun.” It has been nearly a year since the last time Golden State lost a home game, and Friday’s 122-110 win over Indiana marked their 38th straight home victory spanning two seasons.

TV: 10:30 p.m. ET, NBATV, FSN Southwest (San Antonio), CSN Bay Area (Golden State)

LINE HISTORY: The Warriors opened as 3-point home favorites, but after the news came out that Duncan would miss the game, the Warriors were moved a point-and-a-half to -4.5. The total opened at 209.

INJURY REPORT:

Spurs - PF L. Aldridge (probable Monday, back), PF T. Duncan (out Monday, knee).

Warriors - SF J. McAdoo (out Monday, toe).

POWER RANKINGS: Spurs (-18) - Warriors (17.3) + home court (-3) = Warriors -2.7

ABOUT THE SPURS (38-6, 30-14 ATS, 20-23-1 O/U): San Antonio has not been challenged much of late, with only three of its last 13 wins coming by single digits. The Spurs warmed up for the showdown by winning the first two games of the road trip at Phoenix and the Los Angeles Lakers by a total of 41 points and are looking forward to the test on Monday. “There’s no doubt that players will look at it like more than (just another game),” San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich told reporters. “They can’t help it. They’re playing the best team in the league and they’ll be fired up about that.”

ABOUT THE WARRIORS (40-4, 26-17-1 ATS, 27-17 O/U): There is plenty of mutual respect going back and forth between San Antonio and Golden State, and current Warriors coach and former Spurs player Steve Kerr continues to be amazed by his former team. “I know them pretty well,” Kerr told reporters. “It’s remarkable to me that I’m 50 years old and have been retired for 13 years, and they have three guys (Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker) and a coach who are still on that team. It makes no sense. The continuity and the program they’ve built is amazing.” Kerr (complications from back surgery) returned to the bench on Friday after missing the first 43 games and watched star Stephen Curry put up a triple-double in the easy win.

TRENDS:

* Spurs are 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
                      * Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings.
                      * Spurs are 4-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings in Golden State.
                      * Under is 5-2 in the last 7 meetings in Golden State.

CONSENSUS: Bettors are siding with the home team in this matchup with 64 percent of wagers on the Warriors. As for the total, 65 percent of wagers are on the over.

Comment

NBA

Monday's hot teams
                        -- Celtics/Wizards both won five of last seven games; Boston is 1-5 last 6AU, Washington is 5-9HF.
                        -- Memphis won four of its last five games (6-2 last 8HF).
                        -- Rockets won seven of their last ten games. New Orleans won five of its last six games.
                        -- Denver is 4-3 in its last seven games, all at home (7-2-1 last ten HU).
                        -- Sacramento won/covered its last five games (7-7HF). Hornets won three of last four games (8-7AU).
                        -- Spurs won their last 14 games (0-1AU). Golden State won 11 of its last 13 games (3-6 last 9HF).

Cold teams
                        -- Cavaliers split their last six games (9-8HF). Minnesota lost eight of last ten games (2-7 last 9AU).
                        -- Orlando lost nine of its last ten games (0-4 last 4AU).
                        -- Miami lost seven of its last eight games (4-8AU). Chicago lost six of its last nine games (8-13HF).
                        -- Pistons lost five of their last seven games (4-7 last 11AU). Utah lost four of its last six games (6-4 last 10HF).
                        -- Hawks lost four of last five road games (3-8 last 11AF).

Series records
                        -- Cavaliers won their last three games with Minnesota.
                        -- Celtics won their last three games with Washington.
                        -- Grizzlies won their last eight games with Orlando.
                        -- Bulls won three of last four games with Miami.
                        -- Rockets won three of last four games with New Orleans.
                        -- Jazz won six of last eight games with Detroit.
                        -- Nuggets are 7-3 in last ten games with Atlanta; home team won last seven series games.
                        -- Kings are 5-3 in their last eight games with Charlotte.
                        -- Spurs won eight of last nine games with Golden State.

Totals
                        -- Three of last four Minnesota-Cleveland games went over.
                        -- Five of last six Celtic games went over the total.
                        -- Last seven Memphis games went over the total.
                        -- Last five Chicago-Miami games stayed under.
                        -- Five of last seven Rocket-Pelican games stayed under.
                        -- Five of last seven Detroit games went over the total.
                        -- Last five Atlanta games stayed under the total; five of last six Denver games went over.
                        -- Five of last six Sacramento games stayed under total.
                        -- Six of last eight Spur-Warrior games stayed under total.

Back/backs
                        -- Boston is 6-4 vs spread if it played night before.
                        -- Houston is 4-7 vs spread if it played night before.

Comment

'Warriors aim fo 39 straight at home '

The eyes of most basketball fans, as well as those focused on basketball betting, will be on the Monday night showdown between host Golden State Warriors (40-4, 26-17-1 ATS) and visiting San Antonio Spurs (38-6, 30-14 ATS).

Home-court advantage is certainly something Golden State can tap into as they're tough nuts to crack on Oracle Arena hardwood. This year, they've won 20 consecutive games in front of the friendly crowd and 38 straight regular season games dating back to last season. However, the Dubs have not been the greatest bets over the impressive run going 20-18 against the betting line including a vig-losing 10-10 ATS this season.

You may regret selling Spurs short in this matchup. Spurs, one of the leagues best at keeping the ball out of their own backet (89.8) carry a 13-0 (9-4 ATS) streak into the contest outscoring opponents by 18.0 points/game and have won seven of eight away from Alamo City (6-2 ATS) by 18.6 points/game. Additionally, Spurs have shown a habit of handling Warriors in regular season winning 15-of-18 matchups with a profitable 11-6-1 mark against the betting line.

Comment

Preview: Minnesota At Cleveland
                            When: 7:00 PM ET, Monday, January 25, 2016
                            Where: Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, Ohio
                            The Tyronn Lue era in Cleveland did not get off to such a hot start. The Cavaliers will try to earn their new head coach his first victory and bounce back from a tough loss to the Chicago Bulls when they host the Minnesota Timberwolves on Monday.
                            Lue, who took over the head coaching job on Friday when David Blatt was shockingly let go by the organization, wants Cleveland to operate at a faster pace and suggested the team was out of shape following Saturday’s 96-83 setback. “I think we play the second-slowest in the league as far as pace-wise, and the vision I have for this team, I think we gotta play faster,” Lue told reporters. “…We haven’t been accustomed to playing that way.” The Timberwolves have dropped eight straight on the road but begin a stretch of five of six away from home with some momentum after outlasting the Memphis Grizzlies in a 106-101 victory on Saturday. Minnesota is getting strong play off the bench from Shabazz Muhammad while former Cavaliers draft pick Andrew Wiggins is thriving.
                            TV: 7 p.m. ET, NBATV, FSN North (Minnesota), FSN Ohio (Cleveland)
                            ABOUT THE TIMBERWOLVES (14-31): Wiggins, who went to Minnesota as part of the trade for Kevin Love before ever playing a game for Cleveland, is shooting 52.6 percent from the floor over the last six games and contributed 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting to Saturday’s triumph. Muhammad has scored in double figures in five straight games and went for a season-high 25 against the Grizzlies. The 23-year-old small forward’s minutes have steadily increased over the course of the season, and he has logged 33 or more in three of the last five contests.
                            ABOUT THE CAVALIERS (30-12): LeBron James, who is thought to be a big supporter of Lue, echoed his new coach’s comments after Saturday’s loss. “We gotta get in better shape,” James told reporters. “Coach wants us to play faster, so we need to start doing stuff on off-days, doing stuff at practice, during shootarounds. Get up and down the floor, get our heart rate going because he wants to play faster. He wants to play with more pace than we’ve done in the past.” Cleveland moved faster than Chicago on Saturday (attempting 94 field goals to the Bulls’ 87) but shot 37.2 percent from the field and went 9-of-22 at the free-throw line.

BUZZER BEATERS

1. James narrowly missed a triple-double with 26 points, 13 rebounds and nine assists on Saturday.
                            2. Timberwolves PG Ricky Rubio is 3-of-16 from the field in the last two games.
                            3. Cleveland G J.R. Smith led the way with 27 points in a 125-99 win at Minnesota on Jan. 8.
                            PREDICTION: Cavaliers 103, Timberwolves 89

Comment

Preview: Boston At Washington
                              When: 7:00 PM ET, Monday, January 25, 2016
                              Where: Verizon Center, Washington, District of Columbia
                              The Washington Wizards will be well-rested when they host Boston in the finale of a four-game homestand Monday night. The Wizards had their game against Utah on Saturday postponed due to Winter Storm Jonas, and thus will have had four full days off between games when they finally return to the floor.
                              They opened their homestand with consecutive losses – including a 119-117 setback against the Celtics – before upending Miami 106-87 on Wednesday. Washington’s advantage in the rest department is enhanced due to Boston’s issues with the storm, which forced their scheduled game in Philadelphia on Saturday to be moved to Sunday night, making for an unplanned back-to-back. Fortunately for the Celtics, they throttled the 76ers 112-92 and were able to spread out the minutes among 12 players. Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder scored 20 points apiece for Boston, which has won the first three meetings with Washington this season.
                              TV: 7 p.m. ET, CSN New England (Boston), CSN Mid-Atlantic (Washington)
                              ABOUT THE CELTICS (24-21): Center Jared Sullinger had 11 rebounds and a team-high seven assists versus Philadelphia, and he figures to be a factor in the game plan for the Wizards. Sullinger is averaging 17.7 points on 65.7 percent shooting and 10.7 rebounds in only 22 minutes in the three wins over Washington. Boston is 7-3 in the second half of back-to-backs, including 4-2 on the road.
                              ABOUT THE WIZARDS (20-21): Washington has won five of its last seven and each of the last four wins have coincided with Nene’s first four starts of the season. The veteran big man was given the starting nod against the Heat and finished with 16 points, six rebounds and a season-high five steals. His productivity is even more important due to the continued absences of fellow forwards Kris Humphries (knee), Drew Gooden (calf) and Otto Porter Jr. (hip).
                              BUZZER BEATERS
                              1. Wizards PG John Wall had a season-high 36 points in the last meeting with the Celtics.
                              2. Celtics G Avery Bradley has scored at least 19 points in four straight games after failing to reach that mark in 14 consecutive contests.
                              3. Boston entered Sunday ranked fifth in field-goal percentage defense (43.2), while Washington was 28th (46.8).
                              PREDICTION: Wizards 105, Celtics 99

Comment

Working...
                              X