Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NFL Off Season News, Rumors And Discussion

Originally posted by MacDaddy33 View Post
    And how is this not considered tampering?
    I think the Broncos would have a good case if they were interested in having Manning return next year.

Comment

Was listening to a radio show and they were saying that if Megatron holds off on retiring until after March that he would get over 3 million of what is on his contract or the Lions can cut him to save that and then he can ....... have a change of heart and decide that he wants to play another year and make the Lions out to be the ones that got rid of him and he can choose to sign elsewhere with a contending team of his choice.
      I think even if he retires he counts 12 million against the cap for this season. Guess it's the same if they cut him.
      The talk around here is that it's more of an issue like Barry Sanders had. While he is extremely talented he is not extremely passionate about the game.
      Not saying he doesn't love the game. But it sounds like he would have no problem walking away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGame View Post
        I think even if he retires he counts 12 million against the cap for this season. Guess it's the same if they cut him.
        The talk around here is that it's more of an issue like Barry Sanders had. While he is extremely talented he is not extremely passionate about the game.
        Not saying he doesn't love the game. But it sounds like he would have no problem walking away from it.
        From what the show said and I don't know how true it is... if the cut him before the deadline he doesn't count against the cap.That is why it is in his best interest to hold off in retiring and force Detroit to make a move first.Then if they don't cut him he can still retire and get at least the 3 million if he so chooses.
        2016 CFB 183-184 -4580
        5* 6-8
        15* GOY 1-0

2016 NFL 216-154 +11940
        10* GOY 1-0
        5* 11-7

2016 NBA 480-404 +12200
        5* 18-12

Comment

I think the Broncos would have a good case if they were interested in having Manning return next year.
          Yea, Denver would want to bring him back which I can't see them doing
          2016 CFB 183-184 -4580
          5* 6-8
          15* GOY 1-0

2016 NFL 216-154 +11940
          10* GOY 1-0
          5* 11-7

2016 NBA 480-404 +12200
          5* 18-12

Comment

From what the show said and I don't know how true it is... if the cut him before the deadline he doesn't count against the cap.That is why it is in his best interest to hold off in retiring and force Detroit to make a move first.Then if they don't cut him he can still retire and get at least the 3 million if he so chooses.
            From an article I read.
            If Johnson indeed retires, he’ll owe the Lions $3.2 million in previously paid signing bonus money. (And if anyone thinks the Lions won’t recover that money, they should ask Barry Sanders for his opinion on that specific dynamic.)

If Johnson waits until the start of free agency, the Lions will have to account for his $24 million cap number, which means that the Lions possibly would cut him. Not only would that absolve him of any repayment obligation, but it also would allow him to continue his career with a team other than the Lions, if he so desires.

The Lions may want Johnson to continue playing, but not at that cap number, or at a salary of nearly $16 million. He isn’t the guy he used to be, in large part due to the pounding he has taken. Still, if Johnson is truly finished, he needs to use that looming cap number as leverage to keep the $3.2 million.

Here is my take.
            The 3 million comes to Johnson as a roster bonus, but is part of his original signing bonus. Which means he received the money up front. If he is currently on the roster when the new league year begins. Then the Lions cannot recoup the money if he retires after that point.

I think the Lions want to restructure his contract to reduce his overall cap number. Which is 24 million for this year.
            Even if they cut him or trade him under his current deal the Lions would be on the hook for almost 13 million in dead cap money.

No ream would trade for him at his current salary. If he really wants to keep playing then it's in his best interest to restructure his contract and workout a trade.
            Because the Lions could just hold on to him at his current price.
            If he really is done then the Lions should just eat the 3.2 million and move on

Comment

Johnny Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, has parted ways with the quarterback.
              It's unusual to see the agent leaving the player. Most of the time, it's the other way around. But Burkhardt seems fed up with the off-field mess for his client, and Manziel has been unwilling to take control of his own life. Burkhardt says he's tried setting up meetings for Manziel with professionals, but Manziel has declined them.

Comment

Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston believes the Patriots will "explore the possibility" of signing impending free agent Matt Forte.
                The Patriots were painfully one-dimensional on offense after losing Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount to season-ending injuries this year. Forte would be a tremendous upgrade for New England, particularly given his all-around skill set.

Comment

Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston believes the Patriots will "explore the possibility" of signing impending free agent Matt Forte.
                  The Patriots were painfully one-dimensional on offense after losing Dion Lewis and LeGarrette Blount to season-ending injuries this year. Forte would be a tremendous upgrade for New England, particularly given his all-around skill set.
                  Wow having him come out of the backfield for Brady.I may have to draft him again next year.
                  2016 CFB 183-184 -4580
                  5* 6-8
                  15* GOY 1-0

2016 NFL 216-154 +11940
                  10* GOY 1-0
                  5* 11-7

2016 NBA 480-404 +12200
                  5* 18-12

Comment

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Marshawn Lynch has told "people close to him" he plans on retiring.
                    According to Schefter, Lynch has even told members of the Seahawks organization that he plans on hanging it up

Comment

The Seahawks official twitter account confirmed Marshawn Lynch is retiring.
                      Lynch posted a tweet with a "deuces" emoji and a picture of his green cleats hanging on a telephone wire during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. The Seahawks official account quoted the tweet and added the hashtag #ThankYouBeastMode. The timing and cryptic nature of the announcement is a fitting end to the spectacular career of one of the game's most enigmatic stars. Lynch finishes his career with 11,091 total yards and 83 total touchdowns across 127 NFL games and ranks 36th on the All-Time rushing list.

Comment

A "well-placed Browns source" tells ESPN's Adam Schefter Johnny Manziel wasn't drunk on Dec. 30, but was "heavily hung over on something."
                        "There was something going on there," the source said. Manziel reportedly complained he was having trouble with light, had a headache and was vomiting. "This wasn't some massive cover-up," the source insisted. "What are you going to do? You have to put him in the protocol."

This guy needs some serious help. Who he plays for next if at all should be farther down on the list then getting himself right.
                        I have seen concussion protocol treated much different between college and the pros.
                        Reminds me of WWE star Daniel Bryan retiring the other night and him speaking about the numerous concussions he received before even entering a WWE ring.
                        Sure Manziel could have substance issues. But I wouldn't be shocked to find out there is an underlying problem like concussions with this kid.

Comment

The Indianpolis Star's Zak Keefer considers it "likely" the Colts release Andre Johnson.
                          The Colts were lauded for their signing of Johnson last offseason following his release from the division-rival Texans, but apparently Houston knew something most of us didn't; Johnson was done or close to it. Now set to turn 35 this summer and coming off a horrific 41-503-4 line, Johnson may be one-and-done in Indianapolis.

Comment

The Raiders have signed a one-year lease to remain in Oakland's O.Co Coliseum for the 2016 season.
                            The band aid deal gives the Raiders an official 2016 home as they shop around for a long-term solution.

Comment

The Bears have informed free agent Matt Forte they won't be re-signing him.
                              "Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end," Forte wrote. "I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency."

Comment

The Redskins have broken off negotiations with Kirk Cousins due to them being to far apart on reaching a long term deal.

Watch the Redskins mess this up and end up having to either way over pay for him, or lose him next year when the franchise tag is so ridiculous after Luck signs his deal. Pay now or pay later... Oh to be a Redskins fan! I can't imagine why they wouldn't give him at least a better deal than Tannehill's 4 year $77 million deal. They already saved a crap ton not paying RG3 and what are they going to do, sign Sam Bradford or Johnny Manziel. Draft another QB? What is it with these franchises like the Redskins and Cleveland that just don't get their collective dung together.....

Comment

Working...
                                X