Don Mattingly: Not in ideal position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Mattingly: Not in ideal position

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly announced Monday that his 2014 contract option vested with a first-round playoff victory over the Atlanta Braves but that he remains unsure of whether he'll be back with the team next season.

Mattingly said he felt the organization put him in a difficult position in the Dodgers' clubhouse by making him manage this past season in the final year of his contract.

"When you're put in this situation, the organization basically says, 'We don't know if you can manage or not,'" Mattingly said. "So, that's the position I've been in all season long, so that's not a great position for me as a manager. That's the way it is, that's the way the organization wanted it last year, that's fine."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...-return-option

That was one of the most awkward moments I have ever watched.
    He is pretty much saying FU to the GM while sitting right next too him.

Not sure I can blame the guy. They had a ton of injuries and every week the finger was pointed at him.
    So when the team was banged up. The attitude was he sucks as a manager.
    When they started that monster winning streak. Well it was Puig or Hanley is back.
    Bottom line. When they win it's anything else but the manager. When they lose...Well he sucks as a manager

The Dodgers don't make much sense either. You spend a butt load on players. But only give one year to your manager ?
    Either sign the guy for multiple years or move on already.
    Not sure how you expect him to command respect from the players...When you wont even endorse him long term.
    Do the Dodgers bother picking up his option if Mike Scioscia was on the open market. Probably not.
    So your basically telling your manager we didn't get the guy we really want so we'll settle for you

Comment

The Los Angeles Dodgers have fired bench coach Trey Hillman, a move that could lead to further tension between the organization and manager Don Mattingly.

Hillman confirmed he has been fired in a phone conversation Tuesday with ESPNLosAngeles.com, saying that he appreciated and enjoyed his time with the Dodgers.

"I think this organization wants to get somewhere real quick and they just didn't feel like I was best for the manager and the players," Hillman said.

Comment

As a dodger fan, I'd like to see them keep him around but wouldn't be shocked to see him go. Interesting story. Glad to see him stick up for himself
        A man's gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it.

Comment

Working...
        X