Jim Leyland announces retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Leyland announces retirement

Jim Leyland, the third-winningest manager in Detroit Tigers franchise history, today announced his retirement after eight seasons as the team's manager. Leyland, 68, guided the Tigers to their third straight American League Central Division Championship this season and leaves the game ranked 15th all-time in managerial wins (1,769).

"It has been a huge honor to have been the Tigers manager for the past eight seasons, so many wonderful days and nights at Comerica Park with almost every seat filled. I can't thank you enough for your support," said Jim Leyland. "When I came here all I wanted was a chance and you gave me that. I hope you do the same for your next manager. My goal coming here was to turn talent into team, and with the help of the entire organization, we did that. This is not a good bye, it's a so long, as I will be accepting another position in the organization yet to be determined. I hope you enjoyed me as much as I enjoyed you."

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Kirk Gibson is a candidate for the Tigers' managerial opening.
    Gibson grew up in Michigan and has worked as both a broadcaster and bench coach for the Tigers, but he is still under contract with the Diamondbacks and that's a team that expects to compete in 2014. Knobler says former major league catcher Brad Ausmus is also a candidate in Detroit. It's undoubtedly one of the premier jobs in the sport

Comment

Right after the Tigers clinched the AL Central Leyland got all emotional after the game.
      Since this was the third title in a row I knew there was even more to his emotions then that.
      I even said that I thought win or lose in the playoffs he was done. Mentioned it in our live in game the night after this all happened.
      But it was last year when it became obvious this was probably it for him.
      The GM got a 2 year deal and Jim asked for and received only a one year deal.

I respect this guy as a manager and he comes across locally as a decent guy.
      Many times I bitched and moaned about moves he made. But at the end of the day I think even I would admit he did a good job.
      For 3 years that team had 2 glaring problems. Lack of speed on the bases and weak on defense.
      Here we sit 3 years later and they have the same problem.
      When this team struggles it can be ugly. They are a big hit and station to station lineup.
      So good pitching can shut them down. Giants proved that last year and the A's and Red Sox did it again this year.
      Teams that win titles have guys that can steal a base, go first to third and grind out runs without more than one hit and sometimes one.
      Could a new manager take this same team and win a title. Sure anything can happen.
      But getting to the next level also has to fall at the GM's feet.
      Peralta returned and was huge for them. But you have your shortstop of the future to replace him.
      Seeing Dombroski and his moves in the past. It would not shock me to see Peralta back and playing left field or third base next year.
      The problem is. This team likes to reward efforts like his and ignore the obvious.
      A new manager will not make them faster or Peralta playing a new spot on the field will improve the defense.
      They need players to plug in that can work the bases and use the glove to tighten up the defense.
      Of course that is after a new manager is brought in.
      I don't think the GM is going anywhere for the time being. So he will hire the new guy.
      Leyland is taking another job with the team and will probably have some input on that hire.

The scary part about the input from Leyland. He had mentioned a couple of years ago he could see a guy like Ozzie Guillen playing well in Detroit.
      Then it came out after that, these guys are good friends.
      As tough as Oz appears to the media. He tends to back off when it comes to star players.
      I think guys like Fielder need the opposite approach. Somebody that will give them a good kick in the ass.
      They also need a guy that says screw a 3 run homer. Lets get these runners on the move.
      I think Gibson is that guy. Had you asked me about him prior to Leyland being hired...I would've said oh hell no.
      But after seeing his work in Zona. He has come a long way in a short time as a manager.
      Then when you think about it. Look at two of the guys he played for. Lasorda and Sparky Anderson.
      Those guys are legends as managers. So even I can admit that years ago I was wrong on Gibson...
      Hopefully the Tigers can do the same.

Comment

I like leyland but something seemed off. Still, sucks to see a guy like that go
        A man's gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoldflu View Post
          I like leyland but something seemed off. Still, sucks to see a guy like that go
          I remember the old coach of the Steelers having a good line about the rumors of Bettis retiring years ago.
          "When you are thinking about retiring. Your already retired"

They mentioned a date of September 7th of when Leyland informed the front office this was it.
          So it could have been on his mind all year.
          I think people look at his job and the talent around him and think boy that must be easy.
          But that job comes with a lot of pressure. Finish first, win a playoff round, lose the next round and you suck !

Comment

Working...
          X